PDA

View Full Version : Best way to add more RAM to a Mac Mini?

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
What is the Best way to add more RAM to a Mac Mini, if I don't want to do it myself? I'm in Canada, so there aren't many AASP; or are there? How much do they charge? Do I buy the RAM, then let them install it for me? And it is still under warranty, so I hear?

dops7107
May 29, 2005, 12:36 PM
1. Buy some RAM from Crucial (might as well go for 1 GB; you'll want it sooner or later and you'll only have to throw away the 512 MB stick if you upgrade)

2. While you're waiting for the RAM to be delivered, get hold of a thin-edged putty knife that's about 4-5 cm wide or so

3. Check out the various tutorials on the web for opening the mini with said putty knife. Google for "open Mac mini"

4. Fear not, you won't break it if you're careful!

CanadaRAM
May 29, 2005, 01:33 PM
There are plenty of Apple Authorized service providers, you'll find that almost every Apple dealer is a service provider as well.

Here in Victoria we have at least 4. I checked with one; they will install RAM for $30 if you buy it from them, and for $45 if you come in with your own RAM.

If you want to install for yourself, two putty knives are better than one, they should be the thinnest, most flexible blades you can find, approx 2" wide, and it helps to grind the edge to a point.

Make sure you choose RAM from a seller that tests and guarantees compatibility with the Mini, and offers a lifetime warranty. Check out Canadian vendors, so you don't have customs clearing charges or hassles with over the border warranty returns.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com