Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pagodacrockett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I have had problems with syncing to my ipod touch 3rd Gen. I have now isolated the problem to iTunes. When it's not syncing, i can use my laptop for hours at a time, getting online, gaming, anything. But now, when i am syncing music to my ipod, it shuts my whole laptop down. I am in the middle of a 4500+ song sync, but this shouldn't matter, and it's never done this before. i uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it, and tried just about everything else. Please help!

pagodacrockett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
also, this only started about two days ago, i've been syncing fine, and itunes has been working properly. i wonder if i should not use the newest itunes, and go back to the previous version.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
possibly could be the new itunes, but i would doubt that.
Why are you doing a 4,500 song sync, that might teh source of the porblem actually.
but any way. If you have teh ability to open itunes, and the computer works, but when the itouch is plugged in, it does not, then teh problem in shared btween the itouch and the itunes. Have you got iOS5 on ur touch? That might be the problem as well, because many people have been saying that teh upgrade to iOS5 on a 3rd gen has given them many problems.
What you should do is try pluggin in the itouch, but not have it sync. Then attempt to sync one song. If that works than it was probably teh amount of songs you were trying to sync. If it doesnot and your computer freezes up as soon as you plug it in, then it is best to probably downgrade itunes

pagodacrockett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
one thing i neglected to mention is that the sync will actually work up to about 40 or 50 songs into it, then the computer will fully shut down. i have ios 5 and haven't had any problem syncing with itunes before a couple days ago. i'm thinking, and i've looked up this problem a little more, that i'm going to update all the drives and vista itself, and see if that works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.