PDA

View Full Version : Why does no one have an eMac?

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
Why are the eMac's so rare? I remember seeing a poll here with about 0.5% of people who have an eMac. That's pretty discouraging :(

plasticparadox
May 29, 2005, 01:25 PM
CRT perhaps. Although I would think that would be a plus to designers. I don't know much about design hardware, but I'm told that LCDs distort colours slightly.

Daveway
May 29, 2005, 01:26 PM
They are mainly used for education environments and most people here are more towards the power-user side which incorporates faster processors and flat panel displays.

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 01:44 PM
Probably because it has a CRT and a G4. Nevertheless it performs pretty well against the iMac G5 if you took a look at cnet review of the 1,25Ghz eMac. The eMac isnīt fancy either as the iMac.

Iīm thinking about an eMac as a second computer that is even better for Photoshop than my iMac. The eMac is a solid and tested design and I would expect them to last for a long time. Durability is a great issue if advances in the computing technology will only be very incremental in the near future.

deryk
May 29, 2005, 02:15 PM
I have an eMac and I am quite happy with it. It has been a very solid computer for my needs (email, word, internet, minimal games). I am purchasing a powerbook soon because I am starting an online granduate program and travel frequently with work. If I didn't have to travel, I would stay with my eMac for a couple of more years. My next upgrade would have most likely have been to an iMac because I do want the slimmer form factor.

Deryk

Mord
May 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
probably because anyone geeky enough to post on macrumors saves up enough to get a mac cooler than an emac, though the current emac is pretty kick ass this will probably change.

ITASOR
May 29, 2005, 02:24 PM
probably because anyone geeky enough to post on macrumors saves up enough to get a mac cooler than an emac, though the current emac is pretty kick ass this will probably change.

Tons of people on MR have a Mac Mini which costs less than an eMac.

sjpetry
May 29, 2005, 02:51 PM
Because it's huge compared to any thing but the PowerMac.

Size/Performance

Plus the Mac Mini is faster. And a lot of people have Crts ling around anyways. :)

zap2
May 29, 2005, 03:05 PM
i think that the people who buy emacs are buyung a computer, not a mac. What i mean is when i got my mac it really changed me, i come to mac forums, i spend more time on my computer, then any windows computer ever. I think the more % of emac owns only bought a computer(nothing super special) I do not mean that all emac uses do not come to mac forums

chv400
May 29, 2005, 03:57 PM
As soon as i get enough money I'll be getting an eMac as my new main computer to replace my B&W. The only thing that will keep me from getting an eMac is if apple puts a 64 MB Core Image GPU into the mini. Or someone offers to sell me an MD Power mac that has a 166 mhz FSB.

shadowmoses
May 29, 2005, 03:57 PM
Its probably beacuse:

1. It doesnt look as good as any of the other macs.
2.It is not flexible enough in terms of exansion, unless you want to start opening the thing up which most average users arent prepared to do.

That said the eMac is a great computer and especially with its new updates it is a super buy.

homerjward
May 29, 2005, 04:00 PM
i gots an emac, although admittedly im "upgrading" this summer :o
its a great computer; does everything i need it to and more, and i really don't mind the crt. heck, right now i'm running it at 1024x768 to see if that's usable enough as my only screen, cause if it's not i wouldnt get a portable this summer. (i concluded yes) but if you do that with a lcd (step down its resolution) it looks really crappy
oh, another awesome thing about the emac--16x dl-capable superdrive via a firmware flash :D

Mord
May 29, 2005, 04:01 PM
Tons of people on MR have a Mac Mini which costs less than an eMac.

the mac mini is so damn cool and small, the emac is a giant AIO CRT, somehow it's not quite so cool to have as a second mac.

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 04:44 PM
My wife thinks the eMac to be rather large for our tiny appartment and I think that the monitor's resolution could be better. Apart from this I think the eMac is a great computer.

tangerineyum
May 29, 2005, 04:45 PM
i think it serves its purpose quite well, i bought mainly for my mom, but it acts as a storage faclity for anything that doesnt fit on my ibook. when the ibook gors in for repair everything is baacked up to the emac and my ipod. The superdrive comes in very handy for the little bit of home authoring that i do. It was perfect to fill the performance gap between my ibook and any future g5 i may purchase in the next 6 months.

furryrabidbunny
May 29, 2005, 05:06 PM
i have an eMac... and i don't think it reflects your "power user" status. I got mine (about a year and a half ago) because it was a better deal. I could get a eMac with a faster processor (at the time) than a g4 iMac, with a superdrive, and more ram, and a larger screen, then the then current g4 iMac for the same price. For 1200 (yes i overpayed in today's standards) i got a one ghz processor, which was very fast for a mac at the time that wasn't in the pro line, a superdrive, 512 memory, and a 17 inch screen. A 15 inch g4 iMac at the time for the same amount of money came with 256 ram, smaller hd, a combo drive, and the same processor. Granted the iMac looked better, but the eMac was a lot better deal.

amholl
May 29, 2005, 05:32 PM
Its a great,durable machine, but if u go wit the 799, u might as well go witha pimped out mini and if ur gonna go wit the 999 one, u might as well go for a low end iMac. I am thinking about an eMac to replace my aging G4 800 iMac, but only because it has the same grfx as the iMac. Most games should play on a 1.4 GHz G4.

RacerX
May 29, 2005, 05:54 PM
I know lots of people who own eMacs... it is just that none of those people are the type of people who post in Mac forums. They use Macs but Macs aren't a big focus of their lives. These people have different priorities, and their computers need to just work and not cost an arm and a leg... the eMac fits that type of person perfectly (I know I've considered buying one on more than a few occasions).

I think it shouldn't be over looked that the vast majority of Mac users aren't like the people frequenting these boards.

I don't know about anyone else here, but the reason I spend as much time on Macs and Mac related subjects is because that is how I make my living. I don't think I could justify spending as much of my time and energy on the subject if it wasn't paying the bills*.

* Which is why I got into this business to begin with. ;)

Yvan256
May 29, 2005, 06:02 PM

Size/Performance

Plus the Mac Mini is faster. And a lot of people have Crts ling around anyways. :)

The old eMac was at least equal to the Mac mini (faster hard disk). The new eMac is a lot better in a few features (GPU/VRAM, Hard Disk, RAM slots, etc).

iBunny
May 29, 2005, 07:07 PM
They are too big for not enough power.

Plus CRT is old school now. Yuck.

dotdotdot
May 29, 2005, 07:18 PM
Because the eMac may be the worst computer to buy for your money now.

I have seen 20" CRTS for under $100, so a Mac mini and a 20" CRT = $600, $700 if you want the one comparable to the eMac.

You save about $100 - and who doesnt have a spare keyboard/mouse in their house? And a small, USB mouse can go for about $20 and a keyboard for about $30 and you've saved money already for the same deal as the new eMacs.

The only thing is the video card in the eMac is much better now... Rev. B mac mini will fix that.

I honestly can't see the eMac around by 2006.

Plus, the eMac still uses the White/Black Apple logo, its an OLD computer design and a pretty bad computer to buy now. Plus, if you want it to be USABLE you'll need to up the RAM...

With the eMac if the monitor goes, the computer goes as well. With the Mac mini, if the monitor goes, then "Hell yeah! I'm getting a 23" Cinema Display!!!"

The eMac is, however, very valuable for students... no wait, the iMac is - smaller for a dorm, etc.

Basically, the eMac is becoming more and more obsolete each day.

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 07:18 PM
Iīve noticed that there is much of a misunderstanding going on with the CRTs. Many people think they are worse for your eyes than the LCDs but itīs not true unless you are working with less than about 80hz.

The CRTs have still more accurate colors and they take more space and donīt look as good. I had a great CRT that got fried from my PC and I miss it when Iīm working with photos. But it took a lot of space in my small appartment...

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 07:26 PM

I have seen 20" CRTS for under $100, so a Mac mini and a 20" CRT = $600, $700 if you want the one comparable to the eMac.

You save about $100 - and who doesnt have a spare keyboard/mouse in their house? And a small, USB mouse can go for about $20 and a keyboard for about $30 and you've saved money already for the same deal as the new eMacs.

The only thing is the video card in the eMac is much better now... Rev. B mac mini will fix that.

Plus, the eMac still uses the White/Black Apple logo, its an OLD computer design and a pretty bad computer to buy now. Plus, if you want it to be USABLE you'll need to up the RAM...

With the eMac if the monitor goes, the computer goes as well. With the Mac mini, if the monitor goes, then "Hell yeah! I'm getting a 23" Cinema Display!!!"

The eMac is, however, very valuable for students... no wait, the iMac is - smaller for a dorm, etc.

Well, I agree on the Mini. It needs an update before I buy one. And CRT are dirt cheap these days.

The Mini is the lowest end right now and the price point is more important than the graphics card for Appleīs business. Therefore, Iīm not so sure that they will upgrade it soon.

If I buy a new iMac rather than eMac in Europe with students discount, I would have to pay 62% more for the iMac...and I'm only after a second computer.

dotdotdot
May 29, 2005, 07:29 PM
Well, I agree on the Mini. It needs an update before I buy one. And CRT are dirt cheap these days.

The Mini is the lowest end right now and the price point is more important than the graphics card for Appleīs business. Therefore, Iīm not so sure that they will upgrade it soon.

If I buy a new iMac rather than eMac in Europe with students discount, I would have to pay 62% more for the iMac...and I'm only after a second computer.

But in the longrun, which would you rather have? The blazing fast 1.8 GHz G5, or the "barely hanging in there" 1.42 GHz G4 - 256 MB or 512 MB for RAM - 80 GB or 160 GB for HD space.

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 07:49 PM
I already have the iMac G5 and it is really nice. I think that eMac would last for some time, it should be able to run the Tiger replacement and so on. It is 1.42Ghz and is a solid and tested design. You can be pretty sure that a design flaw will not turn up suddenly after our warranties have expired etc.

auxplage
May 29, 2005, 09:41 PM

The pimped out Mini equal to the $999 eMac is like this:

$599 (Mini) + $100 (Superdrive) + $75 (RAM) + $58 (Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse) + $75 (Cheap monitor) = $907

The eMac has a better graphics card, faster superdrive, cheaper expandibility with RAM, and a faster HD. The eMac has its place IMHO. If you like AIO designs as well which some people do.

I have an eMac because I bought the one in my signature last May. There was no way in hell I would have bought an iMac for the price. I would have bought the $1799 17" iMac G4 (I had the money.), but I could not convince myself to buy that for the price versus performance even though I still drool over buying one because it is simply stunning. I ended up with the $799 eMac and am quite happy.

That said, I would, today, buy a Mac Mini with the 20" ACD and upgrade the Mini and keep the monitor. :)

zakatov
May 29, 2005, 09:44 PM
My 2 year-old 1Ghz eMac is happily folding (http://folding.stanford.edu/) in the corner.

Mechcozmo
May 29, 2005, 10:12 PM
Plus, the eMac still uses the White/Black Apple logo, its an OLD computer design and a pretty bad computer to buy now.

What do you mean, White/Black Apple logo? :confused:

The eMac is a great computer. Fast, powerful, etc. Great for kids who you don't want to have worry about sticking their fingers into an LCD. The eMac is a nice computer for a nice price, and if it gets a G5, even a 1.6 GHz G5, it will be very nice. And the CRT is better than some LCDs out there, so don't say that is a bad thing. Only issue-- it is loud. But you can fix that pretty easily... just change fans, and you are set!

Macky-Mac
May 29, 2005, 10:41 PM

The only thing is the video card in the eMac is much better now....

actually, going by the specs, the basic mini is probably the "worst computer to buy" at the moment....not that it's a bad machine

you have to go for the upgrade model of the mini before you match the specs of the specs of the basic emac, at least as far as cpu speed and HD size

and a lot of people DON'T have that extra mouse and keyboard sitting around.......and dont forget to add the price of stereo speakers for your mini because it only comes with a single speaker whiile the emac has stereo

by the time you've added the cost of the upgrade model of the mini, keyboard, mouse, a monitor and speakers you're paying basically the same as the basic emac.....and if you're buying a cheap crt monitor, well, there goes the space saving argument for the smaller mini

but still the emac offers things you cant even add to your mini; a better video card, a second firewire port, a third usb port, there are two ram slots instead of the mini's one and they're defintely easier to get at, the HD is a 7200rpm drive instead of the slower drives used in the mini plus Apple will upgrade the HD to as much as 160 in the emac while the mini is only offered with 80 as a max

they're both fine machines and it's good that Apple is finally offering both an all-in-one and a byo machine at the bottom of their product line

of course the imac is better than either machine :cool:

Platform
May 30, 2005, 05:11 AM
CRT perhaps. Although I would think that would be a plus to designers. I don't know much about design hardware, but I'm told that LCDs distort colours slightly.

You are correct about the CRT but designers would use a CRT but with a PowerMac ;)

Mord
May 30, 2005, 05:58 AM
yeah, moniters like this (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10573) not cheap shadow mask 17" crt's.

mad jew
May 30, 2005, 06:17 AM
yeah, moniters like this (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10573) not cheap shadow mask 17" crt's.

Thank god I'm not a designer. That thing is ugly, bulky and expensive! :(

Mord
May 30, 2005, 06:25 AM
but the quality is oh so good.

Sharewaredemon
May 30, 2005, 07:54 AM
I have an eMac,

I love it, the reason I got an eMac is because I was going to school, and the iMacs were yet to be released, and I needed a computer.

Also, as I am doing a Bachelor of Arts degree, I don't actually need a powerful computer. So even though I edit videos in FCP I can't justify spending an extra 1000 dollars on a computer. (though now I can get a nicely speced iMac for 300 more than I paid for the eMac).

Were it my own money, I wouldn't buy an eMac or an iMac, I'd be getting a Powermac (which is what I'm saving for now).

All this having been said... the eMac doesn't seem slow at all. I use an iMac G5 at work all day (1.8 768 ram 250GB hd) and I don't really notice the difference in render times (I do a bit of video work here).

azrussell132
May 30, 2005, 08:10 AM
Some of the answers to this question have been utterly STUPID. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people probably use their comuter for Surfing and playing Games. Unless you work from home or are to unorganized to FINISH your work AT WORK and have to bring it home than most people use computers for entertainment. Personally my computer use has evolved into 100% pleasure over the years. I do NO work related crap at home anymore. So...my point is...if I use MY EMAC for 100% internet surfing and listening to iTunes etc...why would I want/need a $3000+ G5 ??? When your surfing on a Cable connection there is NOT visibly a $2300 difference in your surfing experience when you compare a $700 Emac to a $3000 G5. FOR THE MONEY the Emac in an awesome computer.

WinterMute
May 30, 2005, 08:36 AM
I've got a 700Mhz eMac upstairs, it's the family computer, my wife uses it for web, email, WP, and for a piano tutor, my daughter uses it for music and kiddie games, with the edu discount it cost bu**er-all and it's still running strong. It's got an airport card and shares the network with my 17" PowerBook, and I use it as a file server with a 250Gb lacie hanging on the FireWire.

I don't need a PM or and iMac, it sits and does it's job, which is to run OSX and let me get on with my work without having the PowerBook hijacked by the family all the time.

I might change it next year, I'll see what's about, if the eMac is still current, I'll probably get another one. Otherwise an iMac will do.

The eMac is very good value for money if you have the edu discount, but it's not the greatest looking mac ever.

Sharewaredemon
May 30, 2005, 08:57 AM
it's not the greatest looking mac ever.

I agree, even if I have one, but one thing I have realised about myself is that how my computer looks isn't something I actively care about. The OS's functionality is what I really am hooked on lately.

(I'm a lifer BTW)

Artful Dodger
May 30, 2005, 09:52 AM
I have an eMac 800mhz and when I bought it the fact was a 17" screen (NOT WIDESCREEN) was a factor along with the edu price. I find the screen size better than what most people would but drawing on it the height of the screen mattered at the time.
Printing for me with the eMac what I see (on the screen) is what I get on my prints and thats a plus. It has taken me a little extra to get my iBook the same way as the eMacs screen.
It is also nice that I can use it to edit things, video, use the superdrive, Flash and so on without keeping my iBook bogged down. I due agree that the looks are well, odd but it serves what I bought it for. The only drawback as I see it was the weight of the thing (about 45-50lbs), that can make a desk cringe but many larger crts do anyway.
Over all I'm happy I bought it as I've never had one problem with it other than me not knowing OSX better at the time :)

katie ta achoo
May 30, 2005, 10:33 AM

I love your logic. I think we all share it. :D

I've only seen and eMac ONCE outside an apple store. It was at school.
(funny story- AP music theory test, the other recording station for sight-singing broke so we used the eMac instead. She popped the CD into iTunes, and me being me, I may have goofed off on the Mac instead of practicing as hard as I should have, haha.)

Man, those eMacs... I can't stand the look of them. The monitor is too low, and CRT just bugs me. I'm so used to LCD now that the insane brightness of CRTs hurts to look at. Now, when I have to use a CRT, I either fiddle with the brightness or give up and put on sunglasses. ( I have crazy-sensitive eyes.)

Man, when is Apple going to ditch the eMac? It doesn't really fit with the aesthetics of the rest of the line.. maybe if they kind of converted it into an incredibly low-end iMac (with LCD!) and managed to keep the same price point... maybe call it the WeeMac or somethin. :)
It sticks out like a sore thumb, next to the sweet, sweet lines of the PowerMac G5, iMac, and of course, my baby PowerBook.

plasticparadox
May 30, 2005, 10:47 AM
Some of the answers to this question have been utterly STUPID. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people probably use their comuter for Surfing and playing Games. Unless you work from home or are to unorganized to FINISH your work AT WORK and have to bring it home than most people use computers for entertainment. Personally my computer use has evolved into 100% pleasure over the years. I do NO work related crap at home anymore. So...my point is...if I use MY EMAC for 100% internet surfing and listening to iTunes etc...why would I want/need a $3000+ G5 ??? When your surfing on a Cable connection there is NOT visibly a $2300 difference in your surfing experience when you compare a $700 Emac to a $3000 G5. FOR THE MONEY the Emac in an awesome computer.

Not everyone on these forums works the hourly wage down at the local Walmart, thanks. While you may not need to use a computer at your job, others here like myself work on a yearly salary.

I'm glad that when you go home and take that blue vest off, you can devote your downtime to "100% internet surfing and listening to iTunes etc...". I think it's super that you've found a way to fill the deadtime till you're on shift again.

As for me, well I happen to like my job. I can leave my school after I'm done my classes, go home, and design some posters or download some clip-art for my papers while I'm listening to iTunes and having a coffee.

But yes, I agree that "FOR THE MONEY the Emac in an awesome computer."

DakotaGuy
May 30, 2005, 11:00 AM
Plus the Mac Mini is faster.

Do you have any information to back up this claim? Looking at the specs, I would have to say the 1.42Ghz eMac would easily beat the Mini in performance. I would think the better graphics card and faster HD would make a big difference in day to day operation.

Willy S
May 30, 2005, 11:06 AM

(funny story- AP music theory test, the other recording station for sight-singing broke so we used the eMac instead. She popped the CD into iTunes, and me being me, I may have goofed off on the Mac instead of practicing as hard as I should have, haha.)

Man, those eMacs... I can't stand the look of them. The monitor is too low, and CRT just bugs me. I'm so used to LCD now that the insane brightness of CRTs hurts to look at. Now, when I have to use a CRT, I either fiddle with the brightness or give up and put on sunglasses. ( I have crazy-sensitive eyes.)

Man, when is Apple going to ditch the eMac? It doesn't really fit with the aesthetics of the rest of the line.. maybe if they kind of converted it into an incredibly low-end iMac (with LCD!) and managed to keep the same price point... maybe call it the WeeMac or somethin. :)
It sticks out like a sore thumb, next to the sweet, sweet lines of the PowerMac G5, iMac, and of course, my baby PowerBook.

My CRT was always a lot darker than my LCD. I also decided to switch to LCDs but since I havenīt much space, but now I miss the accuracy of the CRTs when doing Photoshop.

azrussell132
May 30, 2005, 04:00 PM
Not everyone on these forums works the hourly wage down at the local Walmart, thanks. While you may not need to use a computer at your job, others here like myself work on a yearly salary.

I'm glad that when you go home and take that blue vest off, you can devote your downtime to "100% internet surfing and listening to iTunes etc...". I think it's super that you've found a way to fill the deadtime till you're on shift again.

As for me, well I happen to like my job. I can leave my school after I'm done my classes, go home, and design some posters or download some clip-art for my papers while I'm listening to iTunes and having a coffee.

How did walmart enter into this thread? I don't even fricking SHOP at Walmart. But I do realize a good value when I see one. As I tell my buddy across the street from me with his new $3000 PM & $500 flat screen..."yes your system is nice and yes your system is faster...but it's NOT $2800 faster". Boy this sure pisses him off.
:)

azrussell132
May 30, 2005, 04:05 PM

Doesn't fit into the aesthetics of the rest of the line? Do the words iBook iMac and Mac Mini ring a bell???? All use the same white acrylic. I think it fits in quit well.

BenAKL
May 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
I bought my first mac a year ago. It was an eMac G4 1.25/Superdrive. Fabulous machine. Weighs a ton tho. Picture was sharp and really crisp. Now that I have an iMac, and having compared both of them, I like the iMac's performance but still prefer the clarity in the eMac. LCD vs CRT.

Lots of my friends still swear by CRTs but LCDs are catching up.

All in all, it is a matter a budget and preference.

zap2
May 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
i'd like to see the emac made to look like the imac G4, and the same price as the emac is now. I think the whole emac is a good idea but should be redone. A low cost, all-in-one,computer running on osx, sounds good to me, its just the eMac, has a problem in its design, its to old-looking. The eMac is strong ( hard to tip over) and at schools that counts as something. A G5 eMac looking like a G4 iMac would rock.

Willy S
May 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
A G5 eMac looking like a G4 iMac would rock.
I think itīs called iMac G5. :p

BenAKL, I like what you said and maybe the eMac is just perfect as my second computer. :D

Mechcozmo
May 30, 2005, 10:29 PM
The eMac is very good value for money if you have the edu discount, but it's not the greatest looking mac ever.

Heck, just buy them off of eBay and overclock. Cheapest 1.5 GHz G4 ever!

And it doesn't look as good as the G4 iMac or the PowerBook, but honestly, it isn't too shabby. Especially compared to a number of PCs out there... the eMac isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. What it is supposed to be, nice and cheap and decently powerful.

I've recommended people to buy them as their first Mac due to the AIO design (easy to set up), power (1.42 GHz), and wide array of ports. If they don't like it, they only loose $50 because Macs hold their value so well, eMacs too because of their durability/upgradability (for the pros) options.

leekohler
May 30, 2005, 11:11 PM

I would agree. LCDs are not reliable in my experience when it comes to color. I have a PowerMac with an NEC CRT monitor and an iBook. The differences between the two are huge. The eMac is good for someone just starting out because it's cheap-I wish they were around when I started. BUT-the eMac is just too limited when it comes to upgrades to make it practical for a professional. It really is intended for educational purposes.

Les Kern
May 30, 2005, 11:46 PM

NO!
I'm in edu, and the eMac was made for us, not the general public. Apple made them available after enough folks pitched a fit. Apple has 8-packs where the eMac costs $499.00 each. I have a few hundred and they are excellent machines. True, it has a CRT, but the students only use it perhaps a few hours a day.
So schools, where taxpayers money is being used, can use a pretty nice Mac for a huge savings over the iMac or even the Mini.

Thom_Edwards
May 31, 2005, 12:55 AM

what are you talking about??? your post is very offensive, pompously elitist, and contains references to things that are way off what was originally posted. i rarely see this kind of post on these boards, and if i do i usually ignore them. not this time....

first, i know plenty of people that have salary jobs that can work without a $3K computer. i usually call them "doctor."

second, you leave your school after "you're done your classes" and download clip-art??? what salary job that so graciously affords you a much better computer (because it's more expensive) do you have?

third, i have an IT salary job and i'm writing this on a 233 imac.

fourth, what are you doing with your mac (besides "having a coffee") that is different than the original poster? read your post again....

fifth, some people in the world may like "taking off their blue vest" and enjoying their down-time. not everyone in the world is a workaholic, and can take pleasure in life without having to have more shiny plastic than the next guy.

sixth, you actually seem to attack someone for having a job, but one that isn't quite up to par with your level of elitism. careful when attacking people's station in life. you never know what the future holds for *you*. i know a guy who has A LOT of money, but he can't walk. trust me, he'd trade it in a heart beat.

and seventh, the original poster never said ANYTHING about working at wal-mart, but what if he did??? you may make more than someone at wal-mart, but i know PLENTY of people that could degrade your fancy clip-art copy/paste gig.

get a life. i may go get an emac.

eXan
May 31, 2005, 02:03 AM

Why do you think that mini's are faster? The new eMac kicks mini in all the specs! (Yes I know that they have the same CPUs, but the mini's architecture is not for speed, but for the tiny formfactor)

P.S.: I have eMac :)

vouder17
May 31, 2005, 10:43 AM
ok i do see very few emacs, but just 200m from my house is some graphics design place and they seem to using eMacs..and quite a few aswell. emacs are good computers..i think they just have the sexy factor like iMacs. I would like to get an emac..it is cheap. But the problem is that it is big..

katie ta achoo
May 31, 2005, 05:47 PM
Doesn't fit into the aesthetics of the rest of the line? Do the words iBook iMac and Mac Mini ring a bell???? All use the same white acrylic. I think it fits in quit well.

While it may share the same plastic, it's freaking huge! it's not thin and tiny like the iBook and Mini.
I always thought it looked like a puffed up marshmallow, preserved in plastic. :p

pdpardue
Jun 1, 2005, 01:54 AM
Well, I don't really have one, but I did buy one once and give it to my then fiancee... unfortunitly, she ended up taking it. I still have a user account though.

Claudia
Jun 1, 2005, 02:05 AM
i gots an emac, although admittedly im "upgrading" this summer :o
its a great computer; does everything i need it to and more, and i really don't mind the crt. heck, right now i'm running it at 1024x768 to see if that's usable enough as my only screen, cause if it's not i wouldnt get a portable this summer. (i concluded yes) but if you do that with a lcd (step down its resolution) it looks really crappy
oh, another awesome thing about the emac--16x dl-capable superdrive via a firmware flash :D

I dont own an eMac, and, i've had my iBook G4 since November '04 but, I am still very new to Mac lingo, what on earth does AIO CRT mean?!?!

P.S.
I agree with the person who commented saying ever since they got their Mac they've been on their computer more, and visit MR. The same happened to me, I became a Mac Addict, but, I must admit, i LOVE it.

mad jew
Jun 1, 2005, 02:59 AM
I am still very new to Mac lingo, what on earth does AIO CRT mean?!?!

All in one cathode ray tube? The screen (which is the CRT part) is in the same enclosure as the rest of the computer.

The iBook's the one that converted me too. :D

MontyZ
Jun 1, 2005, 03:22 AM
The eMac is very close to the original iMac, which basically "saved" Apple computer, so, I don't agree with those who say the eMac is ugly or not a very good computer. It has an impressive legacy, IMO.

I convinced my mom to get an eMac even though she was ready to buy a $300 Dell computer. Even the eMac seems expensive to her, but, I was able to convince her it would be MUCH better and easier to use, so ... Dude, she's getting a Mac!

berol
Jun 1, 2005, 04:55 AM
My mom bought an emac combo tonight. The local reseller only had one 1.25GHz superdrive ($850) and said they didn't know if or when they'd ever have 1.42's in stock. She came home, ordered off the web and saved 10%.

Mac Minis haven't been Tigerized yet. Configuring a mini was more expensive which made waiting 'til July pointless. imacs cost a lot more with zero benefit to her. With her OS 8.6 G3 working fine in a G5 world, she could live with a 10.4 G4 for several more years. If not having G5 becomes a pain eventually, she can get replace it for around the same price (I hope), giving her 2 computers for the price of a midrange imac and more longevity since she'd have a brand new low cost mac instead of an aging G5 imac. emac was the obvious choice. Oh, her rambunctious grandkids were the other reason, didn't need them knocking over an imac to its death.

iMeowbot
Jun 1, 2005, 05:09 AM
Looked at them in the past, but the ones I played with were noisy beasts. Did Apple ever find a way to make them a little quieter?

mad jew
Jun 1, 2005, 05:13 AM
My sister's got about ten or so at her work and she loves them. Some of them have bad screens though. :(

zap2
Jun 1, 2005, 05:29 AM
The eMac is very close to the original iMac, which basically "saved" Apple computer, so, I don't agree with those who say the eMac is ugly or not a very good computer. It has an impressive legacy, IMO.

I convinced my mom to get an eMac even though she was ready to buy a $300 Dell computer. Even the eMac seems expensive to her, but, I was able to convince her it would be MUCH better and easier to use, so ... Dude, she's getting a Mac!

it like it but its not color thing that made the iMac so cool looking. ANd that was in like 99'' not to may company's keep a( same) computer for 6 years

_pb_boi
Jun 1, 2005, 06:05 AM

Just because its close to the original doesn't mean it can't be ugly. I personally don't think its ugly, though I don't particularly like its look - but each to their own. Personally I wouldn't buy a CRT again, just too bulky, not sleek enough. That's not being elitest, I just see Macs as cool, slick.

andy.

alywa
Jun 1, 2005, 06:38 AM
I purchased an eMac, 1.0Ghz with superdrive last winter (2004). We were expecting our first child, and I wanted to get a machine to do decent photo editing and light DV movie authoring. I couldn't afford a PowerMac, and the iMac g4 design was old and overpriced comapred to the eMac.

I got the thing with 512 MB of RAM, and added another 512MB. I used an edu discount.

I love the thing. Yeah, it's big, heavy, noisy, and not the fastest thing ever. However, it absolutely blows away my old Dell P4 in performance. Another plus, it is indestructable. This is very important, as it will be my son's first computer in around a year (he's almost 1 now).

We loved macs so much, we got my wife an iBook G4 to replace her battleship of a Dell P3 laptop. No comparison there.

We just bought a new house, and my new iMac G5 2.0 (2GB of RAM, bluetooth KB and Mouse) is set up as the family computer in the kitchen. It's unbelievably sweet, and the complete wireless setup is so asthetically pleasing.

My point? I purchased an inexpensive eMac, and discovered the joy of using a computer again. It is coming with me into my new office as my personal computer (our network / scheduling / billing computers will have to be Wintel), and I expect it to be more than usable for many years to come. Not a bad product at all for under $1000, and an even better deal now than it was 2 generations ago. Plus, it convinced me to upgrade the entire family, so now we all run macs.

-alywa

Sharewaredemon
Jun 1, 2005, 08:19 AM
I purchased an eMac, 1.0Ghz with superdrive last winter (2004). We were expecting our first child, and I wanted to get a machine to do decent photo editing and light DV movie authoring. I couldn't afford a PowerMac, and the iMac g4 design was old and overpriced comapred to the eMac.

I got the thing with 512 MB of RAM, and added another 512MB. I used an edu discount.

I love the thing. Yeah, it's big, heavy, noisy, and not the fastest thing ever. However, it absolutely blows away my old Dell P4 in performance. Another plus, it is indestructable. This is very important, as it will be my son's first computer in around a year (he's almost 1 now).

We loved macs so much, we got my wife an iBook G4 to replace her battleship of a Dell P3 laptop. No comparison there.

We just bought a new house, and my new iMac G5 2.0 (2GB of RAM, bluetooth KB and Mouse) is set up as the family computer in the kitchen. It's unbelievably sweet, and the complete wireless setup is so asthetically pleasing.

My point? I purchased an inexpensive eMac, and discovered the joy of using a computer again. It is coming with me into my new office as my personal computer (our network / scheduling / billing computers will have to be Wintel), and I expect it to be more than usable for many years to come. Not a bad product at all for under $1000, and an even better deal now than it was 2 generations ago. Plus, it convinced me to upgrade the entire family, so now we all run macs.

-alywa

Good story, it's nice to hear stories like this.

Welcome (I guess it's a bit late) to the Mac world.

Willy S
Jun 1, 2005, 08:48 AM
I like what I hear from eMacsīowners. They seem all to be very happy and those who speak bad about the eMac are mostly people who donīt own it.

BlackDan
Jun 1, 2005, 01:00 PM
I dont own an eMac, and, i've had my iBook G4 since November '04 but, I am still very new to Mac lingo, what on earth does AIO CRT mean?!?!

P.S.
I agree with the person who commented saying ever since they got their Mac they've been on their computer more, and visit MR. The same happened to me, I became a Mac Addict, but, I must admit, i LOVE it.

HAHA, same here. Got my iBook in august or september (don't exactly remember the day.) after a long wait and some ordering problems. I LOVE IT. Been visiting Macrumors much more frequent now (had visited it from time to time whilst on the lookout for a new laptop).

I guess the eMac would make a nice desktop PC, but it is a bit Bulky. The price though is just amazing.

As someone else mentioned before they should make the new eMac look like the old iMac (with tft) I'd be getting one instantly... (Don't like the look of the new iMac as much as the old one.)

Raid
Jun 1, 2005, 01:28 PM
Well I don't own an eMac, but my Dad does and it's a great machine! I was impressed at the performance of the eMac when using iPhoto and iDVD on it, so much so that I'm considering recommending it to my soon-to-be mother in law. Sure it's not the fastest machine on the planet (sadly my dad's is the fastest machine in our family ... but that will change when I upgrade :cool: ) but for those who want to surf, email, orgainze and edit photos or home movies then it's a wise choice. As for it's looks, it's simple and clean and better looking than the old iMacs IMHO.

Maxiseller
Jun 1, 2005, 01:56 PM
I brought an emac last year and have since installed a bigger Hard Drive, a Superdrive (Dual Layer) and maxed out the Ram. I have to be honest in saying that its an amazing little machine.

I often run Logic Pro with Symphonic Orchestra (around 10 instances), Sample Tank, and various others - all with built in effects and Logic effects. I have no problems.

I'm not saying I wouldn't benefit from a 2.7 G5, but heck, for the money, this machine is great. Whoever said people buy it when they're not looking to do more than browse the internet is wrong. Burning DVD's, photos, iTunes, graphics editing and music composition is what I do - and it holds up damn fine.

Long live the white elephant

MontyZ
Jun 1, 2005, 05:37 PM
I, too, wish they had maintained the "flavor" colors of the original iMacs in the eMacs. It would give them a bit more personality, but, I guess now that it's the "low-end," it's too difficult to offer it in so many different colors. Personally, I think the white looks great, and it matches the rest of the Mac computers, so, it makes sense to leave it white as well.

Sagger Pance
Jun 1, 2005, 05:54 PM
I love the hell outta my emac. Got it for about $800 last winter. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have the handle that the old iMac G3s had. But I pulled out the extra RAM I had from my Lime iMac DV plugged it into this machine and I've been absolutely satisfied ever since. I'm about to upgrade to a Dual G5 since I was the beneficiary of some unbelievable luck recently. But I often ask myself if I can really justify upgrading so much when I've had nary a complaint about my emac. But then I get all giddy about have a dual G5 and forget all of that responsible decision garbage. So yeh...it's neat?

Mechcozmo
Jun 1, 2005, 09:44 PM
first, i know plenty of people that have salary jobs that can work without a $3K computer. i usually call them "doctor."
<snippety>
sixth, you actually seem to attack someone for having a job, but one that isn't quite up to par with your level of elitism. careful when attacking people's station in life. you never know what the future holds for *you*.

Well, first off, fewer doctors these days have $3K to spend. My dad's office is still running NT 4.0 off of Pentium IIs. They can't afford to upgrade to something speedier and flashier, and those work. The money that the practice makes and can spend towards computers is usually placed towards... well, nothing. Doctors in the U.S.A. aren't rich out their ears. Medicare doesn't pay enough to cover an operation.

Simply, insurance companies don't pay enough to cover an operation that you have. And doctors can't do a damn thing about it. So please, don't say doctors are just brainless people using the most expensive computers they can lay their hands on. It is untrue. It is true, however, you never know what the future holds for you. But it is true that doctors will not get a raise from Medicare until 2012, at which point they will be paid the same amount they were in the 1970s.

Claudia
Jun 2, 2005, 02:27 AM
All in one cathode ray tube? The screen (which is the CRT part) is in the same enclosure as the rest of the computer.

The iBook's the one that converted me too. :D

Thanks SO much for clarifying that for me :) I saw the CRT enough times in this thread to have to know what it means. I imagine in the summer, i will probably spend alot more time at these boards and learning more technical things about my Mac. It's funny, never really cared about computers before, and now i want to learn about my Mac and customize it and just be a "nerd" i guess. I just got Tiger too! but i cant install until i finish my ten page paper for fear that if i install it now, something horrible will happen adn i wont be able to write my paper but, i still cant wait to install it tomorrrow! Weeee! See, i was NEVER this excited when a windows upgrade came out.

mad jew
Jun 2, 2005, 02:31 AM
No problems Claudia. Welcome to the lighter side of computing. Good luck on your paper. :)

G5Zealot
Jun 2, 2005, 02:49 AM
I think the 2005 eMacs are nice. For EDU? Well we have macs at my school - PM G5 rev A 1.6Ghz, 25 in a lab with 20" Apple monitors. Ironic thing is, most students do not use them. :rolleyes:

FadeToBlack
Jun 2, 2005, 03:23 AM
I got my eMac back in December when I switched to Mac and I'm VERY happy with it. So far, it's been the best computer I've ever had. :)

Thom_Edwards
Jun 3, 2005, 12:30 AM
Well, first off, fewer doctors these days have $3K to spend. My dad's office is still running NT 4.0 off of Pentium IIs. They can't afford to upgrade to something speedier and flashier, and those work. The money that the practice makes and can spend towards computers is usually placed towards... well, nothing. Doctors in the U.S.A. aren't rich out their ears. Medicare doesn't pay enough to cover an operation.

Simply, insurance companies don't pay enough to cover an operation that you have. And doctors can't do a damn thing about it. So please, don't say doctors are just brainless people using the most expensive computers they can lay their hands on. It is untrue. It is true, however, you never know what the future holds for you. But it is true that doctors will not get a raise from Medicare until 2012, at which point they will be paid the same amount they were in the 1970s.

i didn't explain myself very well. i was actually referring to Ph.D.s. i got the feeling the poster was belitting someone else, saying that because they (did not, in fact) have (what he/she considers) a mindless job that they didn't need an expensive computer. "the amount of money one spends on their computer does not intelligence or caste-system status increase" was my attempted point.

did anyone else feel the post i replied to was condescending?

i realize i'm a bit ot here, so i'll shut up about this now. to get on-topic, i've been thinking about a new machine. i've looked at the emac, but that widescreen on the imac is just a bit too seductive. the power of the machines is not really a concern. the work i do is not that processor intensive, so the difference in the speed is essentially a non-issue. the screen real estate, however, is a concern.

Phat_Pat
Jun 3, 2005, 12:35 AM
I gave my friend my old eMac. I guess he likes it.

I liked it too. A solid machince and too heavy for a criminal to jack from a classroom quickly....

Mechcozmo
Jun 3, 2005, 09:23 AM
A solid machince and too heavy for a criminal to jack from a classroom quickly....

...without breaking their backs. 50 pounds! :eek: Deceptive things...

Claudia
Jun 3, 2005, 08:33 PM
No problems Claudia. Welcome to the lighter side of computing. Good luck on your paper. :)

Thanks! my paper came out really well, and now i have more massive paper writing to do :( However, i installed the new OS and....i'm not very excited anymore :( I think maybe its because I havent really messed aroudn with it too much. I've been too busy attempting to use the backup of my old files from iDisk to work on my iBook, but, i dont know how to do it. hehe

mad jew
Jun 3, 2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks! my paper came out really well, and now i have more massive paper writing to do :( However, i installed the new OS and....i'm not very excited anymore :( I think maybe its because I havent really messed aroudn with it too much. I've been too busy attempting to use the backup of my old files from iDisk to work on my iBook, but, i dont know how to do it. hehe

I'm glad the paper came out okay. I've only got another 8,000 words to go on mine and I'm done for the semester.

I'm appreciating Tiger more and more each day as I discover new features although I did the same with Panther right up until the end so it might just be OSX in general that tickles my fancy. :)

Sorry, can't help with the iDisk problem because I've never had .Mac. Hopefully someone else can though. :)

ryannel2003
Jun 4, 2005, 09:10 PM
I've had my eMac since October 2004, and it's the best computer I have ever owned. Sure, it would've been nice to get a iMac G5 or PowerMac, but for the money the eMac is hard to beat. Even the Mac mini isn't a good deal for me. By the time I add a keyboard, mouse, display, RAM, USB Hub, etc. it would be around the cost for a new eMac which has a better graphics card, larger HD, better speakers (even though the eMac's speakers aren't great), and a faster HD. I don't like people who put down the eMac for no reason. This is becuase they're mommies and daddies buy them iMac's and PowerMac's and they have never used a eMac in they're life. They put it down because it isn't pretty. Well, if they sat down and acutally used one they might see that's it is a great computer. I know that I LOVE my eMac!

berol
Jun 5, 2005, 02:06 AM
I set up my parents' new emac yesterday, about 4 hours before the Apple/Intel rumor hit the web. d'oh! It could be like when they bought an Apple ][+ just before ][e's were announced. I was looking pretty smooth until I tried to find the power switch and took forever to figure out how to open the cd tray. It's a little bit slow with Tiger, could be cuz it's at 256MB RAM until the extra RAM gets here. They got it from macconnection, $794, arrived cross-country in 3 days with DHL Ground.

FadeToBlack
Jun 5, 2005, 03:51 AM
I set up my parents' new emac yesterday, about 4 hours before the Apple/Intel rumor hit the web. d'oh! It could be like when they bought an Apple ][+ just before ][e's were announced. I was looking pretty smooth until I tried to find the power switch and took forever to figure out how to open the cd tray. It's a little bit slow with Tiger, could be cuz it's at 256MB RAM until the extra RAM gets here. They got it from macconnection, $794, arrived cross-country in 3 days with DHL Ground.

Yeah, I'd say the reason it's slow is because of the RAM. Mine runs Tiger REALLY well and I have 512MB.

Mechcozmo
Jun 5, 2005, 04:09 AM

After it is on, just put it to sleep. Shouldn't have to use that on button except for... well... never, really. My iMac G4 is always asleep and I never have to deal with that button.

There might be an Up To Date plan (if any) for anything new, flashy, and improved shmangees.

And I have to say, $794 is a helluva of a deal for RAM. If I were a computer program correcting your grammar, I'd say "undefined identifier 'it'" and then laugh at you. Which I did anyways. Uh-oh...

FadeToBlack
Jun 5, 2005, 04:27 AM
After it is on, just put it to sleep. Shouldn't have to use that on button except for... well... never, really. My iMac G4 is always asleep and I never have to deal with that button.

Yeah, my eMac is asleep when I'm gone or when I'm asleep.

I had to get out the User Guide to find out how to turn my eMac on. :D

What can I say? It was my first Apple computer. :D

MontyZ
Jun 5, 2005, 02:12 PM
Seems like the eMac is popular for the parents of us Mac users. ;)

Willy S
Jun 5, 2005, 02:59 PM
I guess that eMac will not be popular with people after the Mini will be upgraded. But until then, itīs a good deal IMO.

virus1
Jun 6, 2005, 01:31 AM

Size/Performance

nope. its because its ugly. and nobody who buys from apple is willing to buy an ugly comp..

ryannel2003
Oct 18, 2005, 03:03 PM

Yeah you won a PB so of course you don't like the eMac.

ryannel2003
Oct 18, 2005, 03:04 PM
nope. its because its ugly. and nobody who buys from apple is willing to buy an ugly comp..

It's not ugly. The Preforma's were ugly Apple computers, and people still purchased them. The older Beige PM G3's were ugly, and people bought them.

SuperSnake2012
Oct 18, 2005, 07:58 PM
I don't have an eMac because they're kinda ugly and big... they remind me too much of the old iMacs from grade school with OS 8 that always crashed :rolleyes:

To be fair, our cheap school only put 32 megs of RAM in those beasts. ;)

YellowLabrador
Oct 18, 2005, 08:32 PM
I still have an eMac 1.25 w/ a gig of ram.
still using it now for testing and running as a server sometimes.

Wanted to sell it a while back to buy a laptop but decided to keep it and use it as a test machine along side my dell inspiron laptop :D

Use the G5 to do some heavy photoshop and rendering work (Hobby)
and some audio recording. eMac is a very sturdy machine, newphews used it when they come here to visit me :mad:

Will keep this eMac until it dies then I will be gutting it. See if I can mod it :D

rmanger
Oct 19, 2005, 12:04 AM
Dang, if I'd have known that this thread was here, I would've replied sooner...

Yes, I also own an eMac (check my sig), for these reasons (in order of importance:

1. I badly needed a new Mac to replace my aging iMac Rev. D (366MHz, overclocked from 333MHz). I was a college student at the time, so I couldn't have afforded any other Mac anyway, not even an iBook. Hell, I even borrowed some money from my parents, I was that poor. (Don't worry, I've already paid them back!)

2. I got the lower end Gen3 eMac (1.5GHz, overclocked from 1.25GHz) with only the combo drive and no extra accessories in April 2004, which at that point in time, was the best bang for your buck for a Mac at the moment. The iMac G5 and iBook G4 had a lower cost/performance ratio at the time. Also remember when Powerbook users were having a fit when an $800 computer was matching performance (and sometimes beating) their $2000 laptops on Barefeats?

3. I like the simplicity of the All-In-One design. Even my PC-using LAN party friends still appreciate how easy it is to set up my eMac, even after 2 years. I'm always the fastest one up and running, while my friends have to go back and forth to their cars getting their towers, monitors, whatever. (We play lots of Warcraft 3 and UT2004, so raw speed is not an issue.) Not only that, but my PC friends say that my eMac is the best looking computer there. It makes me wonder why Mac users get so snobby about aesthetics sometimes. The eMac doesn't look that bad!

The eMac had the best cost/performance ratio for a Mac since the Gen3 in April 2004 up until now (the newly released iMac G5 holds that title now) since it had excellent hard drive performance (second only to the Power Macs), a graphics chipset equal (at the time of the 1.42GHz release) to the more expensive iMac G5 that was better than the Mac mini and the iBook, processor performance that is close to a Powerbook running on battery power, and a complete system that is almost as cheap as the Mac mini (with equivalent accessories).

So I guess the eMac is for people that are willing to sacrifice an upgrade path (and for Mac users, aesthetics,) for an excellent cost/performance ratio. Logic would have dictated I get a PC, but at least the eMac still uses OS X, so that also counts for something.

On another note, because the cost/performance for the iMac G5 is so good right now, I'm going to buy one within a couple weeks... :cool:

mad jew
Oct 19, 2005, 12:06 AM
I used an eMac just this morning. It wasn't nearly as fast as my iMac but that's understandable. I was actually quite impressed. Just like the iMac, it looks better in the flesh than in photos.

Dane D.
Oct 19, 2005, 10:42 AM
My 10 year old bought his eMac 1.25 in Feb. 2005. He loves it, my 5 year old daughter loves it, my wife loves it too. I enjoy using it myself, to rip mp3 files and burn cds. For people that only want a computer that will setup and run right out of the box, the eMac is ideal. Our eMac performs 24/7, nevers sleeps and if not being used, crunches SETI. :)