PDA

View Full Version : How upgradeable are Macs?

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 01:30 PM
How upgradeable are Macs? Such as me being able to add my own components, and is it cheaper to do things myself? I hear that the Mac Mini is pretty tough to install new RAM?

Also, for new hard drives, is it better to get an extra internal drive or a external firewire drive? Such as the Mac Mini?

iGary
May 29, 2005, 01:36 PM
How upgradeable are Macs? Such as me being able to add my own components, and is it cheaper to do things myself? I hear that the Mac Mini is pretty tough to install new RAM?

Also, for new hard drives, is it better to get an extra internal drive or a external firewire drive? Such as the Mac Mini?

You can upgrade just about any Mac you want, including the Mac Mini; it all depends on your technical and mechanical abilities as well as how well you work with small things.

Most anyone can do a RAM install on a mini, if they follow the instructions and take their time. Other upgrades require increasing skill levels.

CanadaRAM
May 29, 2005, 01:40 PM
On the Mini, plan on an external firewire drive. Replacing the 2.5" internal drive is moderately difficult and relatively expensive because it uses a laptop drive.

The RAM is about the only thing you want to be upgradeing inside the Mini.

You will probably want to get a USB2.0 hub, as the Mini has only 2 USB ports.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2005, 02:07 PM
Except the graphics cards. The Mac Mini, iMac, and eMac do NOT have upgradeable graphics cards, only the PowerMac does.

stevey500
May 29, 2005, 03:45 PM
The powermac G3 and G4s have upgradable Processors, Ram, Video, PCI Expansion and overclocking capabilities... The powermac G5s I know the Processors are removable but I don't know about upgradable *-)...

dmw007
May 29, 2005, 04:11 PM

on the mini-

-RAM is pretty easy to pop in. (open case, remove old dimm of ram, install new dimm, close case)
-The hard drive and optical drive are a little harder but not impossible.
-Just be very careful when you are upgrading your mini- if you break anything you will have to pay Apple to fix it. Applecare will not cover anything you break inside the mini while you are snooping around.

dotdotdot
May 29, 2005, 04:26 PM
The most upgradable: PowerMac. - Upgrade almost everything
The second most: eMac - The right skills can upgrade this thing from a bad computer with a CRT to a great computer with an LCD... if you know how
The third most: iMac
The hardest: All laptops, mac mini - Only RAM is the easy one, everything else gets tricky.

THE BEST VALUE AND WHAT WONT NEED UPGRADING CURRENTLY: iMac G5