PDA

View Full Version : Getting MS Office on mb air

jlyanks85
Dec 16, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'm getting a macbook air for christmas as a second computer and want to put my last license of MS Office on the air.

Obviously since there's no cd/dvd drive I would have to spend 80 bucks to get the superdrive and I don't want to spend that just to use it one time.

My question is, would the new dvd/cd sharing feature work to get office on the air? I would be using my iMac's drive to do this.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 16, 2011, 03:02 PM
Do you have another Mac or Windows PC with an optical disk drive (ODD)?
If so, use Remote Disc Sharing, or if you have a Mac, use this method to make a .dmg file you can copy and install from: How To Make Copies of DVDs (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/making_dvd_copies.html)

GGJstudios
Dec 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
My question is, would the new dvd/cd sharing feature work to get office on the air? I would be using my iMac's drive to do this.
Yes, it would.

MacBook Air, Mac mini: How to use Remote Disc to share DVDs or CDs from a Mac or Windows-based computer (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US)

hfg
Dec 16, 2011, 03:23 PM
If you want to have an external optical drive for your Air, you don't have to spend $80 on the Superdrive. Most of the $30 portable drives sold for Netbook computers work fine on the Macbook Air.

(Note: I haven't verified this, but have read here that the Apple DVD player application may not work with non-Apple drives for watching movies from the disk. There are alternate players which will work fine (i.e. VLC) for playback. )

-howard

larmende
Dec 16, 2011, 03:57 PM
Just download the trial version from the MS Office side and then validate by typing in the key.
I haven't done the key bit yet, but MS Office trial works perfect.

jdechko
Dec 16, 2011, 04:05 PM
Just download the trial version from the MS Office side and then validate by typing in the key.

I did this for my wife's MacBook Pro. We bought the computer and ordered Office 2011 from Amazon. In the meantime, I installed the trial from MS. When the disk came, I just put in the key and it worked flawlessly.

SDColorado
Dec 16, 2011, 04:11 PM

That is exactly what I did as well. I could have shared the drive on one of my other Mac's, but this method was convenient. I did the same with Lightroom, Aperture and a few other programs.

gmccj
Dec 16, 2011, 04:24 PM
Actually, you can buy a download version from Amazon and if you ever need to reinstall, it's available on the Amazon server under your account.

Lara F
Dec 17, 2011, 12:12 AM
Actually, you can buy a download version from Amazon and if you ever need to reinstall, it's available on the Amazon server under your account.

That's what I did for Office 2011 on my new Air. Probably the best option if you don't already have it.

alphaod
Dec 17, 2011, 04:03 AM
Buy the Superdrive and return it after you're done with it (well you can buy any drive, even the generic ones from Best Buy or Amazon for much less than the Apple one that only works on the MacBook Air and Mac mini server).

Alternatively you can use another computer, but for me that never works.

dmacintyre
Dec 17, 2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks - that just saved me the cost of an external drive :D

LeandrodaFL
Dec 17, 2011, 08:02 AM
Yes, you can easily install MS office on it.

Another option, if you perhaps only need a more advanced text editor, is to download openoffice.org

BTW, you are talking about the mac version, right? For the windows version you need to install windows firts

Internaut
Dec 17, 2011, 08:14 AM
I simply downloaded the MS Office trial and then activated it using the key that came with the CD.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 18, 2011, 07:45 AM
Buy the Superdrive and return it after you're done with it (well you can buy any drive, even the generic ones from Best Buy or Amazon for much less than the Apple one that only works on the MacBook Air and Mac mini server).

Alternatively you can use another computer, but for me that never works.

I did just that. Actually, I purchased an open box (SuperDrive). Since it had been opened, I didn't feel that bad having to return it had it been a new one. But, I've decided to keep it. I've been using it quite a bit when renting movies on the go.

Does anyone know if the Office for Mac is a product key or an actual disc inside the box? I have the trial version for 30days. I will definitely need to purchase it after the trial period.

jdechko
Dec 19, 2011, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know if the Office for Mac is a product key or an actual disc inside the box? I have the trial version for 30days. I will definitely need to purchase it after the trial period.

The retail box has both the disc and the product key.