PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?

iMacBookPro
Dec 16, 2011, 06:58 PM
I was wondering if I should get another MBP or a brand new MBA. I like the thinness of the MBA and that it faster than the MBP, but it 11". I like the 15" MBP. Its not as fast but better for what I need it for. What should I get? :apple:

rabbitjetta
Dec 16, 2011, 06:59 PM
I love my MacBook pro but i am getting the air because I travel a lot.

3bs
Dec 16, 2011, 07:00 PM
Depends on what you're gonna use it for. I'd go with the air. And if the 11" is too small then you can get the 13"

wrinkster22
Dec 16, 2011, 07:03 PM
Please give us more info.
I am sick and tired of when we spend more time trying to answering your question then you do asking them.
What do you use if for?
What is your budget?
etc

iMacBookPro
Dec 16, 2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the help!! I'll probably just get a MBA considering I already have a MBP 13" 2011 model. Thanks again! :apple:

----------

I am sick and tired of when we spend more time trying to answering your question then you do asking them.
What do you use if for?
What is your budget?
etc

I don't really have a budget. Probably around $2,000. I'll be using it for traveling, business, at home for work and for just for fun. :apple:

boy-better-know
Dec 16, 2011, 07:12 PM
I like the thinness of the MBA and that it faster than the MBP, but it 11".
Ya could get the 13" MBA?

ethics101
Dec 16, 2011, 10:42 PM
What do you use if for?
What is your budget?
etc

I'm sorry you have been forced to give advice on these forums.

alphaod
Dec 17, 2011, 04:12 AM
I have both. My MacBook Pro is my mobile powerhouse.

However I often find I been a bag of some sort to carry if long distances.

The MacBook Air is just lightweight and convenient. I use it in my car sometimes and when I go out to run errands and need a computer with me. I can carry it in a sleeve and that's it. No weight to it.

Anyways I don't think I can live without either machine however.

theluggage
Dec 17, 2011, 05:22 AM
I like the 15" MBP. Its not as fast but better for what I need it for. What should I get? :apple:

Lets be practical:

1. Do you use Firewire? The Air only has USB2 (slow) or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt should offer the long-term solution to this but currently the choice seems limited to a handful of high-end RAID and pro video devices. I think you can get a Sonnet TB-to-expresscard and plug a FW or SATA card into that, but that's slight overkill for your 1TB external drive...

2. Do you use wired Ethernet? If so, you'll have to buy & carry an extra dongle, and it will use one of your 2 USB ports.

(1 & 2 might be an excuse for an Apple Thunderbolt display, which will provide Ethernet and Firewire while you're at your desk - but that's a lot of money. I believe that Belkin are producing a thunderbolt "hub" which gets you those ports without the $1k display, but I don't think its out yet).

3. Do you do pro graphics or 3D gaming that would benefit from the discrete graphics controller in the MBP?

4. How often do you use the CD/DVD drive? Again, you'll have to buy & carry one for the Air.

5. Do you need more than 256G of hard drive space? Remember, on the Air your alternatives for extra space are currently USB or a top-dollar Thunderbolt RAID. The MBPs have bigger hard drives *and* the HD is still officially user-upgradable.

6. The Air's speed comes from its solid-state drive - if your budget will stretch you can get a MBP with a SSD.

Also bear in mind the rumors that the MBPs are due to be updated to be more Air-like - of course, you'll never buy anything if you wait for the next runmor to be confirmed.

daf4041
Dec 17, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP - I'm deciding between Air and Pro but I can either buy now or at the end of next semester (June or so). I'm wary of the rumors of Air upgrades in 1Q 2012, because I obviously want to get my money's worth (I only upgrade every 5 years or so). Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to confirm or deny these rumors, but I was hoping you guys might be able to speculate as to any potential price point changes for the Air after the next upgrade. Do the price points usually stay the same after upgrades? My budget is right around the 13" Air mark, but I will probably not purchase an 11" Air if the price points increase - I just need more screen space.

What do you guys think?

KylePowers
Dec 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP - I'm deciding between Air and Pro but I can either buy now or at the end of next semester (June or so). I'm wary of the rumors of Air upgrades in 1Q 2012, because I obviously want to get my money's worth (I only upgrade every 5 years or so). Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to confirm or deny these rumors, but I was hoping you guys might be able to speculate as to any potential price point changes for the Air after the next upgrade. Do the price points usually stay the same after upgrades? My budget is right around the 13" Air mark, but I will probably not purchase an 11" Air if the price points increase - I just need more screen space.

What do you guys think?
There is no way (in my opinion and from what I've read/heard) there'll be an MBA upgrade in Q1 2012. It was just refreshed in July. Besides, the next Air will have Ivy Bridge and those aren't slated to hit the market 'til May-ish, depending on Intel of course. I'd put my money on a refresh not coming until summer, at the earliest.

Now if you're going to wait until June 2012, then it wouldn't be a bad idea for holding out for the new MBA. That's what I'd do if I was going to hold out for that long, that is. I'd imagine prices would stay relatively the same.

alphaod
Dec 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
I like the 15" MBP. Its not as fast but better for what I need it for.

I just missed this…

What are you doing that the 15" MacBook Pro isn't fast enough for and the 11" MacBook Air is? I'm confused to your statement here.

If you're doing content creation or whatnot, consider a Mac Pro or if that's out your budget build an equivalent Windows machine for less as long as you don't need Mac only software.