Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esbod

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2002
AHHH!!! - I want an upgrade

I've been checking the net every 15 minutes and NOTHING! I was hoping for a PB upgrade and a bump to the all 17 inch
iMac line-up.

So what's up? Everyone was a buzz regarding October and the lack of 15 inch screens and low inventory on PBs....

Also - the rumor sites seem to be void of any news what so ever.
It's like a ghost town in the rumor business today.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
noooooooooooooooo :(
i've been waiting 3 months for a new PB now :(

edit: i almost got a heart attak when i saw the grey picture on apple.com (grey= titanium :D) but then it was only jimmy carter :D ;)

TheFink

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2002
Re: AHHH!!! - I want an upgrade

Originally posted by esbod
I've been checking the net every 15 minutes and NOTHING! I was hoping for a PB upgrade and a bump to the all 17 inch
iMac line-up.

So what's up? Everyone was a buzz regarding October and the lack of 15 inch screens and low inventory on PBs....

Also - the rumor sites seem to be void of any news what so ever.
It's like a ghost town in the rumor business today.

When is everyone going to chime in saying "I told ya so"?

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
David Pogue started the rumor...

All because David Pogue, at the O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference on October 1st, said, "I can't say what, but in the next two weeks, one of the major makers of something important in your life will start making something that has Bluetooth standard."

Methinks he was full of #@(% ...

hippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
absolutely full of it !

I need a fast PRO apple laptop with a decent graphics card NOW...and what is apple doing ??? ****ing about with stupid homepage images !

At least they have there priorities straight!

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
PowerBook speed bump history...

11/10/1997 PowerBook G3 250MHz
05/06/1998 PowerBook G3 233/250/292 MHz (6 months)
09/01/1998 PowerBook G3 233/266/300 MHz (4 months)
05/10/1999 PowerBook G3 333/400 Mhz (8 months)
02/16/2000 PowerBook G3 400/500 MHz (9 months)
01/09/2001 PowerBook G4 400/500 MHz (11 months)
10/16/2001 PowerBook G4 550/667 MHz (9 months)
04/29/2002 PowerBook G4 667/800 MHz (6.5 months)

No real pattern, but since inception of the PowerBook G3 (hacked hybrid of the PowerBook 3400) Apple has updated their hardware an average of every 7.5 months.

Given that we should expect to see an update around November 15th. Though I'm not holding my breath and expect to have to wait until MacWorld Expo San Fran. 2003. *sigh*

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
sadly it was just a reference to the new switch ads that appeal to people with major dental hygene problems.

Here's a screenshot from 2 of them :

bluetooth.jpg

Well I thought it was funny anyway :D

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
what happens tomorrow?

Let's see.... why President Carter today???? This news is a few days old.

Why did shipping times for imacs, ibooks and powerbooks change overnight from 7 to 10 days to 1-2 days as posted today?

Are stocks of new products now in warehouses?

I hope so.

Does the posting of President Carter and the revival of "Think Different" have something to do with new products?

I hope not!

??????

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Jeffx342:

Yeah, something major may always happen. Even two weeks from now! And three! And four! And five! :)

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Jeffx342
People keep your eyes open through this week and the next
something major may happen...

If you've got some juicy internal gossip, please give us a hint (statement!) that this is what leads to your comments. Otherwise we'll have the wolf pack dissecting the words and leaving without their appetiites being satisfied....

idi_t

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Re: what happens tomorrow?

Originally posted by rebscb
Let's see.... why President Carter today???? This news is a few days old.

Why did shipping times for imacs, ibooks and powerbooks change overnight from 7 to 10 days to 1-2 days as posted today?

Are stocks of new products now in warehouses?

I hope so.

??????

Haven't any of you been paying attention to the dock closure on the West Coast? This affected inventory across the board for Apple. The shorter wait times most likely reflect the fact that things are finally being unloaded from the ships that have been held in port. A lot of their stock comes into the country through air freight, but a significant amount still goes via ship. As for people here getting angry because there's been no announcement, this site _is_ called Mac Rumours!!!

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
Dear Idi_t (o, perhaps?)

I assume that you work for Apple and that you have the actual data in front of you in regards to EXACTLY how Apple receives shipments. One can make a reasonable assumption that the West Coast situation has affected their stock (and by the way, yes I am an Economist and it is my job to pay attention to such things).

But, this information that you cite with exclamation points (again, I assume that you have the date in front of you) does not establish any meaningful correlation between the two events. If indeed it does exist, it is independent of any analysis done on your part. Furthermore, my very general comments reflect that this is a "rumors" cite. You give yourself (Idi_t) away when you chide people for being so "factual" and yet you use such commanding language yourself????? duh!

ekullhu

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2002
well it's the 16th now in Australia and the apple website is still showing the date in the iCal box on the home page as the 15th (this is both .com and .com.au apple sites)

might this mean that something is coming on the 16th US time???

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by ekullhu
well it's the 16th now in Australia and the apple website is still showing the date in the iCal box on the home page as the 15th (this is both .com and .com.au apple sites)

might this mean that something is coming on the 16th US time???

It might just mean that most of the non-price related items on the Australian site are updated by the US and other countries in one mass, regular update.

I want PBs SO much so I can buy one and have been jumping on the net early every day to see if they have come but I am not holding my breath waiting for them.

TheFink

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2002
Re: David Pogue started the rumor...

Originally posted by impierced
All because David Pogue, at the O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference on October 1st, said, "I can't say what, but in the next two weeks, one of the major makers of something important in your life will start making something that has Bluetooth standard."

Methinks he was full of #@(% ...

I think he was refering to Microsoft, as they just announced Bluetooth support for Windows XP. So, he was right after all.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Originally posted by TheFink

Who knows - but in the end, he was telling the truth.

What crack are you smoking?

"[text deleted] one of the major makers of something important in your life will start making something that has Bluetooth standard."

Um, thinking that providing software support for Bluetooth in Windows applies to the above quote is a stretching it a bit, especially considering he said it at a Mac OS X conference.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
What the?!?

Where did the PowerBook article on the front page of MacRumors.com go? There was an article summarizing different web page speculations over the past few months and including new information that stated a new PowerBook would be released during the 3rd week of October?

Was I dreaming? Am I still?

Maybe "I" need to lighten up on that crack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.