Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Help! I have an mp4 file that's 400 mb but I have to get it to 30 mb or less. I have iskyosft video converting tool.

What is the best way or format to convert it to to get it 30 mb or less and keep the quality as good as possible? Thanks!

Neskeens

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Help! I have an mp4 file that's 400 mb but I have to get it to 30 mb or less. I have iskyosft video converting tool.

What is the best way or format to convert it to to get it 30 mb or less and keep the quality as good as possible? Thanks!

I would recommend using Handbrake as its UI is a lot simpler for the novice user. You will need to reduce the bitrate to 500kbps for a smaller file. However any reduction in nitrate WILL affect overall quality.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
For iskysoft, it lets me convert but there's a bunch of format options and I have no idea what's what. Like I tried converting it to .avi since that sounded familiar and it did it and got it down a lot (but not down to 30) but when I tried to watch it, it had created a thick black frame around the video so it was like inches smaller on each edge, so after that I figured it was just better to ask for help.

So with mpeg streamclip or handbrake, would I still have to pick an output format? The handbrake "target size' thing sounds like it might be what I need so I'm going to look into that, thanks!

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Why do you need to reduce the file size... do you want to post it to YouTube, for example? A little more information would help.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Not for youtube, for a project that has to be under 30. But, thank you all, I installed handbrake and it was so easy. I just put 30 for the target size and it did everything. I still wasn't sure on output format so I kept same one and it seemed to work fine. Quality was less, but not as much less as I thought it would be.

bartolo5

macrumors member
May 11, 2008

Easiest way and best quality hands down is using this native cloud app at godromo:

http://godromo.com/gmt/profile?profile_id=cc81d21689b61613

Click on use now, and the app should load. You need java installed. All settings are autoconfigured. To change the final file size open your mp4 file and then go to preferences and use the video bitrate slider. As you move it you´ll see that it tells you the final size of the file on the top. Select desired file size. Use the iPhone 3G profile if you want good quality and smaller file sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.