PDA

View Full Version : Determining Battery Health With Coconut?

$MacUser$
Dec 17, 2011, 01:18 AM
I have a new Macbook air and it seems like I'm only getting 2/3 battery life...timed, using Apple's standards. 50% brightness, light web browsing. However, coconutBattery is telling me the overall capacity is ever so slightly higher than rated capacity?

miles01110
Dec 17, 2011, 01:22 AM
Battery life is dependent on usage, not what Coconut battery tells you.

GGJstudios
Dec 17, 2011, 01:23 AM
Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

$MacUser$
Dec 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

I had read that prior to posting. I'm following Apple's guidelines to a tee...if not being more conservative. And am still getting about 2/3 advertised life from the batt.

Coconut has gone from showing the overall capacity at notably more than rated...now it's showing 98% of rated. I don't know exactly what's going on.

GGJstudios
Dec 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
I had read that prior to posting. I'm following Apple's guidelines to a tee...if not being more conservative. And am still getting about 2/3 advertised life from the batt.

Coconut has gone from showing the overall capacity at notably more than rated...now it's showing 98% of rated. I don't know exactly what's going on.
As the Battery FAQ states:
Be aware that battery readings are not 100% accurate and they fluctuate up and down, so if your brand new battery health is somewhat less than 100% or if it fluctuates up and down over time (100%, 91%, 95%, etc.), don't worry. It will not only decline. For example, if your battery health is 92% one day, it could be back up to 97% a few days or weeks later. It is not a one-way fluctuation. This is completely normal.