Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Don't get excited. Not paying. Should take no more than 2 minutes of someone's time. :D

This is the type of thing that most can do in paint, but I'm away from my Mac lol

Last edited:

smali

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Don't get excited. Not paying. Should take no more than 2 minutes of someone's time. :D

This is the type of thing that most can do in paint, but I'm away from my Mac lol

I have a sudden sense of deja-vu...

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Please do not do any SPEC work. You hurt us all when you do.''

http://www.no-spec.com/
I'm certain that the thread starter was GOING to pay hundreds of dollars for 2 minutes worth of work UNTIL someone came along and was willing to do it for free.

Now we're all screwed.

By the way - isn't this whole forum Spec work? People come here and get their questions answered for free.

We must think of the poor tech support people who would be busy working right now if we all weren't hurting each other with all this free support. Damn.

Last edited:

soco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I'm certain that the thread starter was GOING to pay hundreds of dollars for 2 minutes worth of work UNTIL someone came along and was willing to do it for free.

Now we're all screwed.

By the way - isn't this whole forum Spec work? People come here and get their questions answered for free.

We must think of the poor tech support people who would be busy working right now if we all weren't hurting each other with all this free support. Damn.
It's hilarious. Want to know what I needed? I needed someone to take a design I made into a vector. Granted, if that's actually reall hard and takes hours of work, I'd say forget it. But for God's sake, come on.

I still need it done, but it's not important enough to pay someone to do. While I understand that a lot of work like designing a website takes hours and years' worth of skill, thus warranting compensation, but for someone to go, "Oh yeah, send me the PSD, I'll fix it up real quick." am I supposed to pay them $20?

I feel like that would be like if someone had a computer problem, and it turned out the thing wasn't plugged in, but I charged them $45 for "diagnostics" or something lol

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The Design and Graphics forum used to be a very helpful place full of quality people, but like many of the other forums on this site, has gone downhill drastically in the last few years. It's the main reason I hardly post on MR anymore.

I am often embarrassed by how my fellow designers treat people here.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
It's hilarious. Want to know what I needed? I needed someone to take a design I made into a vector. Granted, if that's actually reall hard and takes hours of work, I'd say forget it. But for God's sake, come on.

If you'd said that in advance, you probably wouldn't have gotten as much flack.

Incidentally, there are online tools that can do this.

Your mileage will vary on how well they trace things. Depending on the item you want to turn into vector art, automatic tools will work better or worse. Sometimes, automatic tracing will not work too well and you'll need to manually redraw the art. I did some checks, and it seems that the going rate can range from a flat fee of $25 to $35/hour (depends, of course, on the complexity of the art that needs to be redrawn).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There's a huge difference between

"Need a quick graphic done" (implying you want people to do your work, which is what you posted as a title)

and

Need software to make design into a vector

soco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
If you'd said that in advance, you probably wouldn't have gotten as much flack.

Interesting stance. The issue here is that I didn't say much of anything at all in advance. So the flack, now that you know what I actually needed, still doesn't seem warranted either way. Even if I came here and said, "Hey guys, need someone to create a custom graphic for me. Not paying, thanks." it still would not have warranted any negative responses.

It's similar to other sections of the forums here, let's use iOS 5 for example, where someone may post, "Hey guys, I can't figure out something with iOS. PM me if you can help." and someone responds, "LOL really bro? Read the manual." or something like that.

Without inquiring about the posters issue in further detail or clarifying a possibly confusing section of the request, how can you be sure his issue is addressed in the manual?

The lesson here is patience. Maybe even a little "if you have nothing nice to say..." from Mom.

Incidentally, there are online tools that can do this.

Your mileage will vary on how well they trace things. Depending on the item you want to turn into vector art, automatic tools will work better or worse. Sometimes, automatic tracing will not work too well and you'll need to manually redraw the art. I did some checks, and it seems that the going rate can range from a flat fee of $25 to $35/hour (depends, of course, on the complexity of the art that needs to be redrawn).

Sounds good. I'll check those out.

There's a huge difference between

"Need a quick graphic done" (implying you want people to do your work, which is what you posted as a title)

and

Need software to make design into a vector

Indeed, quite a difference. Unfortunately I didn't know (nor should I have given I'm nowhere near a graphic designer or anything) that the phrase, "Need a quick graphic done" implied literally starting something from scratch and that there was no room for interpretation.

In the end, I looked at "done" as someone who might ask an artist to "do" them something. This may be a dialect issue, or maybe even slang, but where I come from, asking someone to "do" them something could mean a wide range of things.

If I tell someone I need a job done, it surely can't always mean every aspect of said job and all the efforts it may entail. To me, it leaves room for how much effort the individual may be putting into the job itself.

So here, where I said I need a graphic done, granted I'm explaining what was in my head, I meant to gain some assistance.

Next time I'll be much more thorough (read: not ask) with my needs. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.