Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I have a unix based file server trying to share via AFP. Both macs (using the same user account/login) will see and open the server. My laptop has read/write access but my desktop has only read access. Is there something obvious I'm overlooking?!

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
I have a unix based file server trying to share via AFP. Both macs (using the same user account/login) will see and open the server. My laptop has read/write access but my desktop has only read access. Is there something obvious I'm overlooking?!

How are you mounting them on the client side?

Also, any reason for going AFP over NFS?

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I've tried mounting the servers with command-K as well as just navigating through the left panel "Shared" menu in the finder. Also, Timemachine works on the computer with write abilities and fails on the computer without (not to surprising).

I'm using AFP because I couldn't get NFS to work at all and the performance difference didn't seem to be that great. Now SMB will work on both machines but since I run only Mac it seems silly and it get noticeably slower transfer times.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I've tried mounting the servers with command-K as well as just navigating through the left panel "Shared" menu in the finder. ...
I take it that your accounts on your client computers have the same user name/password. This does not mean that the server sees the two accounts as the same.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I take it that your accounts on your client computers have the same user name/password. This does not mean that the server sees the two accounts as the same.

Fair enough. But I understood that with AFP the client account doesn't matter. What matters is the account (user name/password) on the server? In that case they are both trying to use the same account. I've had that work before but perhaps THAT was a fluke?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.