PDA

View Full Version : How do you install an Airport Extreme card into a Mac Mini?

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 09:17 PM
How do you install an Airport Extreme card into a Mac Mini?

dmw007
May 29, 2005, 09:35 PM
How do you install an Airport Extreme card into a Mac Mini?
I think that you have to buy it from Apple when you order the mini. That or you might have to have an Apple authorized technician install it.

tag
May 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
From what I have read its problematic to install the airport card in the mini.

I read that if you order a mini that doesnt have bluetooth or airport installed in it, then it will also be missing an adaptor/connector thingy which is required to install the airport card and lead the antenna. It seems to be quite a bit pricey (at least in the UK) to get this done. If you have a local apple store they might have an Airport/bluetooth upgrade kit that you could get installed it would probably be easiest that way. Otherwise you will probably have to call apple to get more info on ordering it.

tdhurst
May 29, 2005, 10:06 PM
It takes a putty knife, a VERY steady hand and confidence that you won't break anything taking it apart. It CAN be done by users....but seriously, just have an authorized tech do it. It's worth the extra hassle.

Gary King
May 29, 2005, 10:19 PM
Is there a website I can go to to find Apple authorized technicians? I tried the American one and it doesn't work for Canada; and yet there is no equivalent website for Canadians.

CanadaRAM
May 29, 2005, 10:52 PM
Is there a website I can go to to find Apple authorized technicians? I tried the American one and it doesn't work for Canada; and yet there is no equivalent website for Canadians.
Gary, as I posted before, many independent Apple dealers (excluding the large electronic stores) are Apple service centres as well. There are 75 resellers listed by Apple in Toronto

You live in the largest city in the nation -- the Yellow Pages would probably answer your question nicely. Also, there is a nice website called www.apple.ca and under "where to buy" it has a link for "Service Providers" and you put in Toronto ON and this is the result you get:

Computer Systems Centre, 416-927-8000 275 College Street Toronto, ON M5T 1S2
North Star Computer Ltd 416-593-8634 49 Elm Street Toronto, ON M5G 1H1
Cpused Inc 416-922-2330 488 Dupont Street Toronto, ON M6G 1Y7
Maclibrary Technology 416-217-0381 317 Adelaide St W Ste 907 Toronto, ON M5V 1P9
Creative Technology (Svc) 416-368-1938 41 Colborne St Toronto, ON M5E 1E3
Vistek Ltd (Svc) 416-365-1777 496 Queen St East Toronto, ON M5A 4G8
Rna Productions Inc 416-535-1999 772 Queen Street East Toronto, ON M4M 1H4
Clickon Mac Solutions 416-778-6848 400 Eastern Ave #1&2 Toronto, ON M4M 1B9
Solutions In Computing 416-588-3020 1179 King Street West, Suite 100 Toronto, ON M6K 3C5

This is within about 5 miles of the downtown core, excluding all of the TO suburbs.

Now for the harsh bit:
I admire your enthusiasm, but if you are going to be a productive MR member, IMO you need to display a little bit of initiative to do your own legwork and not simply rely on others to answer the simplest questions.

And also IMO you need to read what other people have volunteered their time to answer for you, and not ask the same question multiple times.

For that reason, this is the last reply I will make to your posts. Best of luck with your purchase.

tag
May 29, 2005, 11:08 PM

Well when I needed to take my Mac in for service, I called apple directly and they located the nearest Service Center, even if it wasn't an Apple store. I did some searching through Apple's site and found this page

http://www.apple.com/ca/contact/

which has some info, and links to this locator below..

http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html