PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air with Laggy Lion?

Vagg
Dec 17, 2011, 11:37 PM
I have an 11 inch 2GB Ram 1.4 Ghz Macbook Air, and over the summer I upgraded it to Lion. My air just kept shutting down on its own frequently, and the lag was atrocious. I quickly reverted back to snow leopard and haven't tried Lion since.

Have these bugs been resolved? Is my air just not very compatible with lion? The main reason I want to upgrade to Lion is so I can sync with my iMac easier, and so I can use iCloud with my touch and iPhone.

Any suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated!

vitzr
Dec 18, 2011, 01:20 AM
I have an 11 inch 2GB Ram 1.4 Ghz Macbook Air, and over the summer I upgraded it to Lion. My air just kept shutting down on its own frequently, and the lag was atrocious. I quickly reverted back to snow leopard and haven't tried Lion since.

Have these bugs been resolved? Is my air just not very compatible with lion?

Not wanting to disturb my fast & reliable Snow Leopard equipped MBP's & MBA's, I decided to buy a 13" 2011 MBA preloaded with Lion.

While I will not say it's slow, considering it's got an SSD, it is slower than my Snow Leopard Macs, all of which also run SSD's. I'm comparing equal configurations as well with each having 4GB ram.

Having only one Lion machine I have nothing else to compare it too. Perhaps this is the nature of Lion.

Xikum
Dec 18, 2011, 06:40 AM
I upgraded a 2 GB RAM 2010 C2D MacBook Air to Lion (from SL) and I have absolutely no problems.

No lag here.

0dev
Dec 18, 2011, 06:52 AM
Do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

pjo
Dec 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
most people recommend a minimum of 4GB of RAM for Lion.

sammich
Dec 18, 2011, 07:01 AM
Is that what they're going to call OS X 10.8?

Xikum
Dec 18, 2011, 07:37 AM
most people recommend a minimum of 4GB of RAM for Lion.

Apple sell base models with 2 GB RAM that run Lion fine. Apple wouldn't put out a laptop that couldn't run Lion well, because it would risk people who were new to Apple products to have a bad impression of the operating system.

My 2010 2 GB RAM MBA runs Lion without a problem.

robbie12345
Dec 18, 2011, 07:59 AM
well that is a very very very very slow computer you have their due to the fact that is i think the slowest c2duo they ever made so that will probably be the slowest computer that even runs lion now because it doesn't run on gx's so the 2gb ram isn't that much of an issue but more of the incredibly slow processor

adamtj11
Dec 18, 2011, 08:18 AM
My sister has the same spec Air as you and it flies running Lion, I'd just reinstall.

I have a 2011 model with 2gb and it again speeds.
----------

well that is a very very very very slow computer you have their due to the fact that is i think the slowest c2duo they ever made so that will probably be the slowest computer that even runs lion now because it doesn't run on gx's so the 2gb ram isn't that much of an issue but more of the incredibly slow processor

The processor is fine, netbooks with single atom processors don't lag, the clock speed doesn't matter too much , its a definite problem with the OS.

doktordoris
Dec 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
Apple sell base models with 2 GB RAM that run Lion fine. Apple wouldn't put out a laptop that couldn't run Lion well, because it would risk people who were new to Apple products to have a bad impression of the operating system.

My 2010 2 GB RAM MBA runs Lion without a problem.

I ended up buying the cheapest 11inch MBA and it runs lion perfectly. In fact I can hardly tell the difference between my maxed out iMac and my peasant edition MBA

ihonda
Dec 18, 2011, 10:07 AM
10.7.3 is way faster then 10.7.2 to me at least.. maybe try the beta OS

Xikum
Dec 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
I ended up buying the cheapest 11inch MBA and it runs lion perfectly. In fact I can hardly tell the difference between my maxed out iMac and my peasant edition MBA

Exactly, some people do over-react at times concerning 2 GB of RAM.

And peasant edition Apple product? Thats the first time I've heard that! ;)

GGJstudios
Dec 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry, but I just gotta say, every time I see this thread title, I think it's about a cartoon show! I guess "Laggy Lion" is too close to "Lippy the Lion". Of course all but a handful of you won't have any idea what I'm talking about, since Lippy was around before most of you were born! I'm such a fossil! :D

mabaker
Feb 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
I have the same machine - MacBook air 1.4 with a mere 2 GB od ram. Happy to report Lion upgrade went smoothly and performance wise it flies. This OS has been clearly made for the Air.

No lag whatsoever with multiple programs open. Gestures fluid and flying. I really expected it to lag with such puny CPU and little ram. Not at all.

Also glad the m320 has the flash video acceleration so flash playback is a joy.