PDA

View Full Version : Getting 6th gen iPod nano as replacement for 1st gen overheating recall!

WilliamG
Dec 18, 2011, 12:19 AM
Guys, check the serial number of the replacement iPod nano you're getting! I did that on my replacement and it says this!

iPod nano (6th generation)

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: December 16, 2012

Awesome!!! :D

No idea on the size of the nano (guessing 8GB), but pretty cool either way, and with a year's warranty? Double win!

ilovemyibook
Dec 18, 2011, 04:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I better get a first generation Nano. I sent a first generation Nano in, and that's what I want back.

bmat
Dec 18, 2011, 06:53 AM
I just got the e-mail for my replacement -- says 6th generation also. Still has the 90 day period listed.

0dev
Dec 18, 2011, 06:56 AM
Shame I sold my 1st gen a few years ago really... :(

Then again, the 6th gen Nano is quite crap anyway. The 5th gen was the best ever Nano IMO.

Cursed
Dec 18, 2011, 07:39 AM
Hopefully they're doing this in the UK too. I'm also hoping it'll speed the replacement process up a bit. I sent my iPod off on the 12th December and it still isn't received (unsurprisingly) so I'm expecting quite a long wait at the moment.

0dev
Dec 18, 2011, 07:41 AM
If you think about it, this makes sense anyway, and I assume they'll be doing it everywhere. What's cheaper for Apple, starting a limited production of old iPods or sending people the currently mass-produced new iPods?

ilovemyibook
Dec 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Some people already got back 1st generation Nano's. They've had my iPod for over a month, I figured they were getting machines tooled up. Why couldn't they see that I have a recalled iPod and ship on the crappy 6 gen Nano the next day.

pumazooma
Dec 18, 2011, 12:36 PM
Until someone actually gets a 6G, I still think we'll get 1st gens back. Also, why would a 6G only come with a 90 day warranty instead of a 12 month one?

yanki01
Dec 18, 2011, 02:16 PM
probably because they're refurbs 6th gen nanos and also apart of this 1st gen replacement program??

WilliamG
Dec 18, 2011, 07:12 PM
Until someone actually gets a 6G, I still think we'll get 1st gens back. Also, why would a 6G only come with a 90 day warranty instead of a 12 month one?

Mine says it has warranty till December 16, 2012. I've no doubt I'll get a 6th gen at this point.

iEvolution
Dec 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
probably because they're refurbs 6th gen nanos and also apart of this 1st gen replacement program??

1 year limited warranty applies to refurbs too and the 1 year limited warranty was still in effect with the 1st gen.

Anyone whining over getting a 2010 iPod over a 2005 iPod is just being childish. The first gen you probably have now likely doesn't even get used anymore and it definitely doesn't hold nearly the charge its supposed to (unless replaced).

yanki01
Dec 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
1 year limited warranty applies to refurbs too and the 1 year limited warranty was still in effect with the 1st gen.

Anyone whining over getting a 2010 iPod over a 2005 iPod is just being childish. The first gen you probably have now likely doesn't even get used anymore and it definitely doesn't hold nearly the charge its supposed to (unless replaced).

some deem them as collectables and their first iPod (as mine was). I had mine in my car and held a charge for a good hour or so without being hooked up to my car. mine wouldn't sync about a week before receiving an email from apple about the recall which is why I sent it in.

jap1198
Dec 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
When did you send yours in?

WilliamG
Dec 18, 2011, 11:33 PM
When did you send yours in?

I sent mine in early last month, I believe.

ilovemyibook
Dec 19, 2011, 12:23 AM

I'm not being childish at all. I love the design of the first generation Nano. If I would have know this would happen I would NOT have sent mine in.

yanki01
Dec 19, 2011, 01:07 AM
not complaining but i wish we would of had the option. idk if this is a good gesture on apple's part but I liked the model i bought which is why i still have it after 6yrs. id prefer the click wheel over the touch screen. who knows, if I do get the 6th gen, maybe it will grow on me? just saying.

Macr0Cosm
Dec 19, 2011, 02:51 AM
Has anyone received their iPod back and can confirm that it is actually replaced by a 6th gen iPod?

ilovemyibook
Dec 19, 2011, 02:59 AM

Has anyone received their iPod back and can confirm that it is actually replaced by a 6th gen iPod?

The people that got the emails should be getting them tomorrow or Tuesday. That's my guess anyways. That's when we'll know. I'm still hoping that it'll be a first generation, I've got to believe that because why would they have me waiting one month AFTER I sent my iPod in unless they were making a set of first generations.

VeNoMiZeD
Dec 19, 2011, 06:52 AM

I sent mine in 3 days after the announcement of the recall, so pretty early. Anyhow I received an email saying my replacement is being sent to me and in that email the replacement has a new serial number. So I called apple to verify the serial number and sure enough it's a 6th gen nano. I'm satasfied with that replacement, thanks Apple!

gnasher729
Dec 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
not complaining but i wish we would of had the option. idk if this is a good gesture on apple's part but I liked the model i bought which is why i still have it after 6yrs. id prefer the click wheel over the touch screen. who knows, if I do get the 6th gen, maybe it will grow on me? just saying.

If you iPod was just broken, then Apple wouldn't have to do anything, since the iPod has been out of warranty for many years. Since there is a danger of overheating, Apple has to do something to get the iPod out of your hands. You can always refuse their offer, have a six your old iPod with horrible battery life, and a slight risk of overheating. Your choice.

yanki01
Dec 19, 2011, 10:17 AM
If you iPod was just broken, then Apple wouldn't have to do anything, since the iPod has been out of warranty for many years. Since there is a danger of overheating, Apple has to do something to get the iPod out of your hands. You can always refuse their offer, have a six your old iPod with horrible battery life, and a slight risk of overheating. Your choice.

Of course my choice which is why I sent it in. hoping a new battery would help me sync my iPod again. It was in my car 99% of the time so I didn't really care for battery life. Just saying I wish we had a choice of what we're receiving. No where on the email would it say you'll be getting a 6th gen nano. All it said was replace the battery which is the reason for the recall anyways.

radiohed
Dec 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
I applied on Nov 12th and finally got my box last week. Apple received my Nano on the 15th and now it shows "replacement pending". If they replace it with a 6th gen, I would be thrilled! I will take whatever they give me! :D

Macr0Cosm
Dec 19, 2011, 03:17 PM
I sent mine in 3 days after the announcement of the recall, so pretty early. Anyhow I received an email saying my replacement is being sent to me and in that email the replacement has a new serial number. So I called apple to verify the serial number and sure enough it's a 6th gen nano. I'm satasfied with that replacement, thanks Apple!

Thanks for the update. Also, the status of my iPod shows "replacement pending", how long will it take to receive the email from apple confirming that they shipped backed the replacement iPod?

Mat246
Dec 19, 2011, 11:33 PM
If it is a 6th gen I'm curious as to what colour il get back

Macr0Cosm
Dec 20, 2011, 01:02 AM

Good question, I also wonder what color they will send? Hopefully someone posts a picture of their iPod replacement.

fotomatt1
Dec 20, 2011, 06:15 AM
I just checked my s/n and it says I'm getting a 6th Gen Nano (it's coming today according to FedEx) and the service and repair warranty is expired. I find it weird that they'd ship a new or even refurb product with no warranty at all.

cambookpro
Dec 20, 2011, 07:16 AM
Here's hoping for a 6th gen!
I want a new watch anyway...

Julien
Dec 20, 2011, 10:36 AM
I just checked my s/n and it says I'm getting a 6th Gen Nano (it's coming today according to FedEx) and the service and repair warranty is expired. I find it weird that they'd ship a new or even refurb product with no warranty at all.

Mine is scheduled for tomorrow and it looks like I'm getting a 6th too. A little ambivalent since I bought mine on launch day and got a commemorative Nano bag and still have my box all original.

ilovemyibook
Dec 20, 2011, 08:21 PM

Good question, I also wonder what color they will send? Hopefully someone posts a picture of their iPod replacement.

I talked on the phone to someone from Apple and according to the gentleman he said either black or gray. It would be in bad taste to send any other color to someone because other colors aren't "neutral"

Resist
Dec 20, 2011, 11:38 PM
not complaining but i wish we would of had the option.I have to agree, having the option would have been nice but very expensive for Apple. Some people prefer the feel of the first Nano.

azxcursion
Dec 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Its official, mine arrived VIA Fedex about 30 min. ago. Mine is a silver Nano 6th gen 8gb. Im satisfied with that as my old one was only a 2gb.

iPad-Lover
Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
It was confirmed buy a Apple call center staff that they are shipping out 6th generations and not 1st generations, The guy said that Apple had only expected about 80,000/90,000 to use the programme but actually a quarter of a million participated. Im sorry to say guy's I think these are only going to come in silver, I dont think it would be good to ship out feminine or masculine colours to opposite sex, But at the end of the day I would not be mithred at all if I got a colour I dont like, Its a top of the range iPod.

And all those people whining over not getting there first generation back, just ****, If you really, really want a first generation back im prett sure anyone with a brain would swap a 1st generation nano for a 6th generation nano.

BlackTofu
Dec 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
That's so great! When apple recall iPod nano 4th and replace the new one?:D Just a kidding.

Resist
Dec 22, 2011, 04:49 AM
Its official, mine arrived VIA Fedex about 30 min. ago. Mine is a silver Nano 6th gen 8gb. Im satisfied with that as my old one was only a 2gb.I sent them a 4GB Nano, so if I also get an 8GB then I'm going to feel kind of cheated. :D

moosquared
Dec 22, 2011, 06:18 AM
How long have you guys been waiting? And those who received it or shipping now, how long did you wait for yours? I sent in mine on Nov 29 and it's still pending.

tobefirst
Dec 22, 2011, 07:52 AM
My Timeline:

Nov. 12: Sent in my request for a box
Nov. 26: Box arrived
Nov. 29: Apple received my nano, identified the issue, and authorized service
Dec. 21: Replacement product shipped
Dec. 23: iPod nano 6G to arrive

Julien
Dec 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
I sent them a 4GB Nano, so if I also get an 8GB then I'm going to feel kind of cheated. :D
Me too, hoping for a MacBook Air.:eek::D

FL410
Dec 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
did anyone receive anything besides the ipod, such as a charger?

sclawis300
Dec 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
Just got my 6th gen and it is defective. Voice memos don't work. Makes me wonder what else does not work.

RAS admin
Dec 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
I Just got my Nano replacement. 6G! Wasn't expecting that...

Thanks Apple!

sclawis300
Dec 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
did anyone receive anything besides the ipod, such as a charger?

nope. just the iPod. no earbuds or anything.

pheebz90
Dec 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
I requested service on the 15th of November and it has been received and pending since the 25th.

I would be chuffed with a 6g but how unfair for people who never got one.

CapsChick
Dec 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
I got the 6th gen today. It is not compatible with my Sonic Impact i-F2 speakers (which apparently did not use a universal docking design). Not thrilled at the prospect of having to spend money to be able to listen to my new nano via speakers. Can I buy an adapter for this purpose, or do I actually have to invest in new speakers?

pheebz90
Dec 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
I got the 6th gen today. It is not compatible with my Sonic Impact i-F2 speakers (which apparently did not use a universal docking design). Not thrilled at the prospect of having to spend money to be able to listen to my new nano via speakers. Can I buy an adapter for this purpose, or do I actually have to invest in new speakers?

Where about are you out of interest?

loby
Dec 22, 2011, 10:26 PM
Just received my replacement today. It is a 6 generation iPod with 8 gigs!

Very happy! Thanks Apple. Though I miss my 1st Generation, how can I complain getting 4x times the gigs!

:apple:

KevinC867
Dec 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
My Timeline:

Nov. 12: Sent in my request for a box
Nov. 26: Box arrived
Nov. 29: Apple received my nano, identified the issue, and authorized service
Dec. 21: Replacement product shipped
Dec. 23: iPod nano 6G to arrive

My Timeline: (Nano A - Black)
Nov. 12: Service requested and acknowledged
(no progress as of 12/23)

My Timeline: (Nano B - White)
Nov. 12: Service Requested
Nov. 19: Box arrived, Nano shipped to Apple
Nov. 22: Product received, issue identified
Dec. 17: Replacement product shipped
Of course, I left on a holiday trip before it arrived and am now trying to prevent FedEx from shipping it back to Apple. :(

mobi
Dec 23, 2011, 12:44 PM
November 12, 2011: Service Requested
December 14, 2011: Product received
December 14, 2011: Issue identified
December 14, 2011: Product replacement pending

............waiting patiently for both of our Nano replacements!

Lancaster, PA

agreene24
Dec 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
Just got mine today. 6G Silver 8gb. I used to hate this design but it's actually quite nice. I'm completely satisfied.

NachoGrande
Dec 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
4GB

November 12, 2011: Service Requested
November 22, 2011: Product received
November 23, 2011: Issue identified
November 23, 2011: Product replacement pending
Shipped Yesterday from Lewisberg, PA

Received 6th Gen. Silver 8gb.

My iPod doesn't have a 1 year warranty so I assume it's just 90 days.

fo0bar
Dec 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
Today I received the ship notification and serial number, and it is a 6th gen. Moreso, it looks like it IS under warranty:

iPod nano (6th generation)

Telephone Technical Support: Active
Your product is eligible for complimentary single-incident telephone technical support during the first 90 days.
Estimated Expiration Date: March 22, 2012

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: December 22, 2012

Eligible for the AppleCare Protection Plan
Get the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend the technical support and hardware repair coverage to 2 years from your iPod purchase date.

Anyone else get this?

Eric8199
Dec 24, 2011, 12:25 AM
Got my 6th gen Nano today. Silver 8gb, like everyone else is getting. Making s trip to the apple store next weekend to get a watch band for it.

garp
Dec 24, 2011, 07:36 AM
Today I received the ship notification and serial number, and it is a 6th gen. Moreso, it looks like it IS under warranty:

Anyone else get this?

Same here, my Nano is supposedly on the FedEx truck for delivery today, system shows it as a 6th gen with a full warranty.

amethystjw
Dec 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
It was confirmed buy a Apple call center staff that they are shipping out 6th generations and not 1st generations...

And all those people whining over not getting there first generation back, just ****, If you really, really want a first generation back im prett sure anyone with a brain would swap a 1st generation nano for a 6th generation nano.

I'm not whining, per se, but I collect iPods and am now missing my mint first gen white nano. if "anyone with a brain" received a first gen white nano but really prefers a new 8GB silver nano, please contact me and I'll gladly trade you! I think you can PM me on the forum or else email me at amethystjw (at symbol) yahoo -dot- com

uiop.
Dec 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
Got my two 6th gen Nanos today. Absolutely incredible. Who would have thought spending $150 on a 1GB Nano 5 years ago would result in a free 8GB Nano years later? Awesome.

Resist
Dec 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
Who would have thought spending $150 on a 1GB Nano 5 years ago would result in a free 8GB Nano years later?I paid a lot more than $150 for my 1st Gen 4GB Nano, so this deal while good, isn't as sweet as yours. But I'll still take it. :)

ZipZap
Dec 24, 2011, 06:58 PM
Same here, my Nano is supposedly on the FedEx truck for delivery today, system shows it as a 6th gen with a full warranty.

Check again...your warranty info will change as these do not come with a warranty or any way to buy applecare.

fo0bar
Dec 24, 2011, 08:27 PM

Did you receive yours today? I got "On FedEx vehicle for delivery", but with "Scheduled for delivery next business day", which it displayed all day. I think Fedex's motto is "adding insult to injury". :) It was shipped yesterday, from Reno (I live in Reno), and they said it will take 5 days to arrive. Then they loaded it on a truck on a Saturday, and drove it around all day without intending to deliver it.

Oh well, I don't particularly need it right away, I'm just an obsessive tracker.

----------

Check again...your warranty info will change as these do not come with a warranty or any way to buy applecare.

Yep, that happened with mine today.

moosquared
Dec 25, 2011, 02:33 AM
Nov 29: Product received
Nov 30: Issue identified
Dec 23: Replacement product shipped

According to FedEx's tracking information, I should receive mine on the 28th. Excited!! :D

yanki01
Dec 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
got mine friday, pretty neat.

gradcarrera
Dec 25, 2011, 02:24 PM
So can I just buy it off ebay and getting 6 th gen ?

garp
Dec 25, 2011, 08:24 PM
Did you receive yours today? I got "On FedEx vehicle for delivery", but with "Scheduled for delivery next business day", which it displayed all day. I think Fedex's motto is "adding insult to injury". :) It was shipped yesterday, from Reno (I live in Reno), and they said it will take 5 days to arrive. Then they loaded it on a truck on a Saturday, and drove it around all day without intending to deliver it.

Same thing here, It's sitting on a truck, but won't be delivered until Tuesday

reedmo
Dec 25, 2011, 11:43 PM

Am I the only one that was able to buy the extended Apple Care on my nano? I checked my serial number the day I got my email. It said that day was my last day of a full warranty. I decided what the heck I'll attempt to expand my coverage. I bought the $39 Apple Care and have the funds pulled, so as far as I can tell I got the coverage.

bleato
Dec 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
Never mind. I can't read.

makdm
Dec 27, 2011, 08:37 AM
Oh well, I don't particularly need it right away, I'm just an obsessive tracker.
Check :)

November 12, 2011: Service requested
December 6, 2011: Product received
December 6, 2011: Issue identified
December 6, 2011: Product replacement pending

Hobbes.
Dec 27, 2011, 08:54 AM
Does apple send you an email when it ships?

I sent off my iPod Nano and didn't keep the tracking number or the serial number :(

How are you guys checking the process?

Munkypoo7
Dec 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Does apple send you an email when it ships?

I sent off my iPod Nano and didn't keep the tracking number or the serial number :(

How are you guys checking the process?

Yeah they just emailed me this morning, seems a Silver 8GB is en route.

Kinda of a shame at the same time though.... had a real sweet spot for that 1st gen nano. Then again, a free upgrade will not be complained about!

Hobbes.
Dec 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah they just emailed me this morning, seems a Silver 8GB is en route.

Kinda of a shame at the same time though.... had a real sweet spot for that 1st gen nano. Then again, a free upgrade will not be complained about!

Okay cool. Well I guess i'll just wait for my email. I never got a confirmation email from them with my repair claim number so I can't even check on the status of the iPod.

tardman91
Dec 27, 2011, 04:52 PM
Got my email today. How can you tell if you're getting a 6th gen? I tried the replacement product serial number on the Apple website and it says its not found.

rdowns
Dec 27, 2011, 05:05 PM
Got my email today. Serial number is for a 6th gen. I wanted my 1st gen nano back but getting an 8GB player in exchange for a 4GB one is nice.

Got my email today. How can you tell if you're getting a 6th gen? I tried the replacement product serial number on the Apple website and it says its not found.

Try this:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

tardman91
Dec 27, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks. That worked. Looks like its a new 6g nano for me!

vbman213
Dec 27, 2011, 08:18 PM
My replacement serial number is also a 6th Generation! =)

quagmire
Dec 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
The empty box shipped yesterday so I am hoping it gets here tomorrow get my 1st gen shipped back and hope to get a 6G in return. I could use a new watch..... :p

ZipZap
Dec 28, 2011, 06:51 AM
Am I the only one that was able to buy the extended Apple Care on my nano? I checked my serial number the day I got my email. It said that day was my last day of a full warranty. I decided what the heck I'll attempt to expand my coverage. I bought the $39 Apple Care and have the funds pulled, so as far as I can tell I got the coverage.

Probably, your timing was perfect. My unit first showed it was eligible for Applecare. I did not buy it on the spot and later it was not eligible.

This is a not to others. If you want applecare, buy it the moment you get the email.

gilmoregirlz
Dec 29, 2011, 01:43 AM
Is apple still accepting nanos for the replacement program? I have a 1st gen, barely used at all, probably not more than 24hrs total use on it. I was debating on whether to send it in or not, and waiting to see what model they sent as a replacement for other people. Seeing that it's the 6th gen, I'm thinking I don't have much to loose by sending it in, and actually I'd be gaining 6GB since my 1st gen nano is only 2gb.

Sooo... are they still accepting nanos? Does anyone know when the program is scheduled to end?

GLS
Dec 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
Received my replacement yesterday evening around 6 PM, synced it, etc.

Dropped it at 6 AM this morning on tile floor in kitchen and cracked screen.

Karma, I guess. My first gen that was sent in was in mint (physical) condition.

Alas.

ilovemyibook
Dec 29, 2011, 02:35 PM

Is apple still accepting nanos for the replacement program? I have a 1st gen, barely used at all, probably not more than 24hrs total use on it. I was debating on whether to send it in or not, and waiting to see what model they sent as a replacement for other people. Seeing that it's the 6th gen, I'm thinking I don't have much to loose by sending it in, and actually I'd be gaining 6GB since my 1st gen nano is only 2gb.

Sooo... are they still accepting nanos? Does anyone know when the program is scheduled to end?

I don't think it'll end anytime soon. Honestly though, just keep your first generation if it is in that good of shape.

quagmire
Dec 29, 2011, 03:05 PM

They are still accepting Nano's. I requested my replacement on the 24th and they shipped the envelope to me on Monday and I got it yesterday and promptly sent it back. Which surprised me considering a lot of people reporting how long it has taken them to even get the envelope. Hopefully with Apple deciding to send out 6G's, the process will speed up a bit now.

Though it is also surprising they sent it via FedEx Ground. Guess for replacement programs, they cheap out on us where for my AppleCare repair cases, turn around is usually 3-4 days( as it was for my 4G iPod. Requested box, arrived next day, immediately shipped it out, got new iPod back in 2 days and my 12" Powerbook HD replacement took about 5 days).

gigaguy
Dec 29, 2011, 08:58 PM
Do you have to be the orig registered owner? since it follows serial # I assume not?

dtfgator
Dec 30, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just a confirmation -- I shipped in my 2gb black iPod Nano (1st Gen) and just received an 8gb 6th Gen iPod Nano (Silver).

Overall I'm very pleased, I was in the market for one of these anyways.

Cheers,

-Dtfgator

yanki01
Dec 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
Do you have to be the orig registered owner? since it follows serial # I assume not?

I don't believe so, just log in apple with your apple ID and it will ship to your default shipping address.

3NV7
Dec 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
Just a confirmation -- I shipped in my 2gb black iPod Nano (1st Gen) and just received an 8gb 6th Gen iPod Nano (Silver).

Overall I'm very pleased, I was in the market for one of these anyways.

Cheers,

-Dtfgator

Same here - while I was annoyed with the month-long wait to receive the shipping label, getting a new Nano in return was well-worth it.

thies
Dec 30, 2011, 04:40 PM

well, that's BS. Maybe I'm the minority, but I used my 1st gen nano nearly every day and the charge was good for 6 hours continuous playback, which was sufficient. I would very much like to get a repaired 1st gen back instead of a 6th.

iphonenub
Dec 31, 2011, 07:26 AM
Just found my 1st gen iPod. I was just going to dispose of it properly when I heard about the fires, but getting a 6G iPod nano is great. Even if you don't like the new nano you are going from a 1-2gb iPod to an 8. I just hope the waiting period is much shorter now that Xmas shopping is over.

iEvolution
Dec 31, 2011, 12:50 PM
well, that's BS. Maybe I'm the minority, but I used my 1st gen nano nearly every day and the charge was good for 6 hours continuous playback, which was sufficient. I would very much like to get a repaired 1st gen back instead of a 6th.

Actually was in a bit of a mood when I posted that.

To be honest I think they should of allowed you to choose the 6G or your 1G back. Then again I don't think they legally could because of battery safety issues.

satirev
Dec 31, 2011, 04:54 PM
Just found my 1st gen iPod. I was just going to dispose of it properly when I heard about the fires, but getting a 6G iPod nano is great. Even if you don't like the new nano you are going from a 1-2gb iPod to an 8. I just hope the waiting period is much shorter now that Xmas shopping is over.

unfortunately it probably will still be a long wait.

on another note, i have about 20 nanos that I am sending in but am having second thoughts about it now.

Apple is not going to reissue these 1st gen nanos and will probably destroy all of them. I think this may drive the price of them up as they become rarer and rarer 5-10 years down the road.

rogan
Jan 1, 2012, 04:06 PM
anyone know if its possible to request a 1st gen back?

the 1st gen is by far the best sounding ipod i own but my battery lasts no time at all

compared to my 2009 classic it sounds incredible even better than my imacs headphone out..

greenythebeast
Jan 5, 2012, 06:54 PM
My repair status just changed to Replacement Product Shipped. Can someone tell me how everyone is seeing what type of product they are getting in return? I can't for the life of me figure out how you all are doing that haha.

Edit: Nevermind, just got the email :)

quagmire
Jan 5, 2012, 10:37 PM
Sent off Nano last wednesday, and Apple still hasn't received it. I hate impatience..... :o

AndrewR23
Jan 7, 2012, 01:50 AM
Received mine yesterday. Says I have no warranty on Apple.com.

BeechMan
Jan 7, 2012, 02:46 AM
My wife had the 1st Gen with the over heating problem.
Today FedEx dropped off the replacement and she was excited that it was the 6th gen Nano!

Thanks Apple!

Sniv
Jan 7, 2012, 03:37 AM
Received mine today :)

December 9, 2011: Product received
December 9, 2011: Issue identified
January 4, 2012: Replacement Product Shipped

Interestingly mine had a sticker in french warning me about listening to music for too long. It could damage my ears...or something like that. French is not my first language...nor my second...or third...:rolleyes:

bt1988
Jan 7, 2012, 08:29 AM

Are you in the US? Mine also said it shipped the 4th and to expect it in 2 business days but it isn't here yet. :(hoping for Saturday delivery I guess.

Resist
Jan 7, 2012, 04:08 PM
So I just missed the Fed Ex delivery of my replacement Nano today, because Apple required a signature they didn't leave it at my door. They will try to deliver it again until next Tuesday, then again Wednesday. If I'm not home to sign for it then it will go back to their facility 45 minutes away from me and not at my local Fed Ex facility (which makes no sense). If I then don't pick it up there it will go to another facility 2 hours away before being sent back to Apple.

I'm very frustrated about all this because in the email Apple sent me with the shipping details, they never mentioned what carrier was being used and the tracking number link did not work. So I had no idea when to expect it to make arrangements to be home.

I called Fed Ex to see if they would have the driver come back to my house, but they said they could not do that. And why they won't deliver on Monday is unknown. And better yet why it wouldn't be delivered to my local Fed Ex facility at the end of the day is just stupid.

I also called Apple and they won't can't do anything about all this, except when it comes back to them to have it delivered to a new address if I wanted.

So basically I waited months for my Nano replacement and now I may not get it at all. I'm really wishing I never sent them my old Nano in the first place!

Spectrum Abuser
Jan 7, 2012, 04:57 PM

Mine would barely hold a charge back in '07. I'd safely say YOU'RE the minority.

KevinC867
Jan 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
So I just missed the Fed Ex delivery of my replacement Nano today, because Apple required a signature they didn't leave it at my door. They will try to deliver it again until next Tuesday, then again Wednesday. If I'm not home to sign for it then it will go back to their facility 45 minutes away from me and not at my local Fed Ex facility (which makes no sense). If I then don't pick it up there it will go to another facility 2 hours away before being sent back to Apple.

I'm very frustrated about all this because in the email Apple sent me with the shipping details, they never mentioned what carrier was being used and the tracking number link did not work. So I had no idea when to expect it to make arrangements to be home.

I called Fed Ex to see if they would have the driver come back to my house, but they said they could not do that. And why they won't deliver on Monday is unknown. And better yet why it wouldn't be delivered to my local Fed Ex facility at the end of the day is just stupid.

I also called Apple and they won't can't do anything about all this, except when it comes back to them to have it delivered to a new address if I wanted.

So basically I waited months for my Nano replacement and now I may not get it at all. I'm really wishing I never sent them my old Nano in the first place!

I had a similar situation with FedEx. The package was to be delivered after I left for a long holiday trip. However, in my case, the FedEx tracking system worked perfectly and their website allowed me to specify a local FedEx/Kinko location where the package would be delivered and held. I emailed a copy of my driver's license to a friend and she was able to pick up the package for me.

Resist
Jan 7, 2012, 06:18 PM
However, in my case, the FedEx tracking system worked perfectlyI'm sure it does work, but I think Apple messed up the link they sent me.

Sorry for my previous rant about all this, but I'm just so frustrated after having to wait so long for the replacement and now it looks like I may never receive it.

KevinC867
Jan 7, 2012, 08:22 PM
...now it looks like I may never receive it.

Have you asked FedEx if they can do for you what they did for me (have it delivered to a local office for pickup)?

Resist
Jan 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
Have you asked FedEx if they can do for you what they did for me (have it delivered to a local office for pickup)?Yes I did (as I stated in my initial post), they said that due to it being a home delivery requiring a signature, they couldn't deliver it to my local Fed Ex. It had to go back to the Fed Ex facility 45 minutes away from me.

None of it made sense to me and I even called them 3 times talking to different Fed Ex reps each time.

But now apparently all I have to do is sign the Fed Ex delivery tag and stick it outside my door and they will leave package on my porch. Unfortunately they won't be back to deliver it again until Tuesday.

Not a fan of Fed Ex at this point.

ZipZap
Jan 8, 2012, 05:14 AM

Same thing happened to me. They dont deliver monday because Fedex Home is closed on Monday's but delivers Saturday's.

I had them transfer it to a facility near me where it was held for my pick up.

This is 100% Apple's fault not Fedex. I can buy a new computer and it will be left at my door, but a stupid Nano requires a signature?

----------

Yes I did (as I stated in my initial post), they said that due to it being a home delivery requiring a signature, they couldn't deliver it to my local Fed Ex. It had to go back to the Fed Ex facility 45 minutes away from me.

None of it made sense to me and I even called them 3 times talking to different Fed Ex reps each time.

But now apparently all I have to do is sign the Fed Ex delivery tag and stick it outside my door and they will leave package on my porch. Unfortunately they won't be back to deliver it again until Tuesday.

Not a fan of Fed Ex at this point.

Ahh...nope. It was crossed off on my doortag.

rza49311
Jan 8, 2012, 07:01 AM
Started my replacement on Nov. 17th, got my envelope on Dec 17th, sent it back on the 20th and just got the email yesterday that the replacement(6th gen) will be delivered on Wednesday(1/11/12).

Clix Pix
Jan 8, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sent in my 4 GB first-gen Nano on December 20th and just now checked and found that as of January 7th the "problem had been identified" and that the "replacement is pending" so I guess I'll be getting an email this coming week and hopefully the new 6th-gen iPod Nano pretty soon! I am really looking forward to using it as a watch. I wouldn't have purchased one for that reason but since I'm getting it this way, by trading in my old Nano which had been sitting in the drawer for a long time, this will be really cool!

Resist
Jan 8, 2012, 10:17 PM
Ahh...nope. It was crossed off on my doortag.It's not crossed off on mine, so I think they should be able to leave it at my doorstep if I sign the door tag.

halfmonkey
Jan 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
I submitted my request back on Nov 14th and I finally just got my replacement nano. It took them over a month to get the return envelope to me. I'm assuming that they originally planned to get it out to me within 2 days but due to the response, they probably ran out of boxes and they probably also had to reevaluate sending back refurb 1st gen nanos. Either way, way to go Apple for sending me a 6gen nano.

I am wondering though if anybody can confirm if these are brand new 6gen nanos or if they're refurb 6gen nanos?

pumazooma
Jan 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
I am wondering though if anybody can confirm if these are brand new 6gen nanos or if they're refurb 6gen nanos?
Almost certainly refurbs. If they were new they might just as well have sent a new box out with headphones etc.

quagmire
Jan 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
Should I be concerned since it has been almost two weeks since I sent back my Nano and it still says, " Empty Box Shipped"? It doesn't take two weeks to get from the East Coast to West Coast.......

mkjj
Jan 9, 2012, 09:50 AM
Got my 6th gen 8gb Silver this morning

----------

Should I be concerned since it has been almost two weeks since I sent back my Nano and it still says, " Empty Box Shipped"? It doesn't take two weeks to get from the East Coast to West Coast.......

Mine took 7 weeks all in... still waiting for the 2nd one :)

quagmire
Jan 9, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mine took 7 weeks all in

I don't mind it will take a month or so for the turnaround, but shouldn't they at least acknowledge they received it?

Clix Pix
Jan 9, 2012, 10:47 AM
I had shipped mine on December 20th and on January 8th, when I finally remembered to check my status, I saw that everything had been done on January 7th: they acknowledged having received the returned item, they examined the item and identified the problem and had marked my status as "replacement pending." Since I had sent mine back during the holidays it wasn't a surprise to me that it took a while for anything to be done.

JoshJosh117
Jan 9, 2012, 11:34 AM
Just got one back (Silver 8gb). Unfortunately I don't have the original charger or earbuds...

Thajtodad
Jan 9, 2012, 02:40 PM
Just curious, Im in the US and on January 7th , my request went into Status 3 "Product Replacement Pending" Does that mean I should be expecting a tracking number soon or that I still have about a month to go...Any help would be appriciated.

Resist
Jan 9, 2012, 05:41 PM
I think they should be able to leave it at my doorstep if I sign the door tag.I just looked over my door tag again and apparently I can't just sign it and leave it outside my door. The signature block was not checked by Fed Ex. What was checked is "Shipper requires signature in person at this address upon deliver".

So now I am going to have to call in sick from work so I'm here between 8am to 5pm. Or there is no way I will be able to get my Nano, unless at the end of the day I drive 45 minutes to their facility and then 45 minutes back.

Thanks a lot Apple and Fed Ex!

Clix Pix
Jan 9, 2012, 07:57 PM
Just curious, Im in the US and on January 7th , my request went into Status 3 "Product Replacement Pending" Does that mean I should be expecting a tracking number soon or that I still have about a month to go...Any help would be appriciated.

Sounds as though you and I are on the same schedule...... They must've gone through opening a lot of packages sent to them from all of us! I am guessing that probably some time this week there will be an email notifying us of the shipment being sent out and that we'll get it within a few days after that?

mattyu007
Jan 10, 2012, 12:16 AM

Same thing with me here too. I'm in Canada, and the Apple address on the box is literally a half hour drive away from where I live.

I dropped my nano off on the 3rd, and plugging the tracking number into the UPS website shows that the box was delivered to Apple on the 4th. However, the repair status still says "December 24, 2011: Empty box shipped."

Same question: Should I (we?) be concerned, or should I (/we) just wait and see?

quagmire
Jan 10, 2012, 07:57 AM
Just wait. I read on Apple's support community, that people have called for the same exact reason. They said that due to the overwhelming response, they are having trouble keeping up with having everything updated.

And good news for me as mine just went, " Product Replacement Pending". :)

tlbwriter
Jan 10, 2012, 09:35 AM

I'm curious too - mine says status 3 as of Jan 6.

Resist
Jan 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
I was actually able be be home today and received my Nano today from Fed Ex. About freaking time, only took several months.

I've never played with the new Nano's at the Apple store before, so I knew little about this newer model. But so far I am really liking it. I will miss my old 1st generation Nano, but this new Nano has many more great features and larger storage capacity. Loving the watch and touch screen!

supertramp2k
Jan 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
just got notification from APL taht my replacement is shipping. Checked the serial # and it appears that it has a full year warrenty on it! Sweet!

rugby4944
Jan 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Got mine today. Apple sent me a 6th Generation Silver 8GB one. Pretty cool little device, I'll probably use mine for working out.

Resist
Jan 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
Apple sent me a 6th Generation Silver 8GB one.It's my understanding that all the replacements are the 8GB 6th generation model in silver.

rugby4944
Jan 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
It's my understanding that all the replacements are the 8GB 6th generation model in silver.

That's my understanding too but I thought I read on here that someone talked to an apple representative that said you could get either black or silver so I didn't know.

Ynysygerwn
Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm in the UK and had my 6 th gen replacement yesterday. It's silver. Had been pending since 9th December. It is very small, but my first gen screen had gone so it was nice to get a replacement. I used it alot, just didn't know what was going to play!:p

Resist
Jan 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
That's my understanding too but I thought I read on here that someone talked to an apple representative that said you could get either black or silver so I didn't know.Apple doesn't make this version of the Nano in black.

rugby4944
Jan 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
Apple doesn't make this version of the Nano in black.

Oh i did not know that, my apologies. I guess it would make sense that everybody would get a silver one then haha.

mobi
Jan 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
My wife and I were really attached to both of our 1st gen 4gb Nanos...that being said...We are ecstatic to have received our 6th gen Silver 8gb replacements. Apple made this RIGHT!

tanneritekid
Jan 11, 2012, 10:01 PM
I received mine today via fedex, silver 8 gig.

I mailed the old one back some where around dec 29.

They received it on jan 6th and they said they shipped it on the 7th.

It left the fedex building on the night of the 9th and got here to AZ today the 11th.

I like this thing!

docal97
Jan 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
so when people are saying that they are getting 6th gen ipods, are they referring to the brand new ipod or last years model. They both look very similar. Not many changes where made to the new model.

Resist
Jan 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
so when people are saying that they are getting 6th gen ipods, are they referring to the brand new ipod or last years model.I'm not sure what generation it really is, but probably 6th gen. The only hardware change on the 7th generation was internal, a processor upgrade and manufacture change of flash memory. Both generations have the refreshed UI.

Namji
Jan 19, 2012, 11:51 AM

I'm assuming you didn't jot down the tracking number so you can track where the box you sent back is located at.

Live and learn.

quagmire
Jan 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'm assuming you didn't jot down the tracking number so you can track where the box you sent back is located at.

Live and learn.

I didn't see a tracking number on the return label.... I saw it the original label....

Either way my status went to pending as of the 10th.... Still waiting for the replacement to be shipped.

Namji
Jan 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't see a tracking number on the return label.... I saw it the original label....

Either way my status went to pending as of the 10th.... Still waiting for the replacement to be shipped.

Just so you know the original label with the tracking number is from Apple to you. On the return label there is also a tracking number for from you to Apple. I wrote it down and can track the shipment to make sure it got to them.

quagmire
Jan 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
Just so you know the original label with the tracking number is from Apple to you. On the return label there is also a tracking number for from you to Apple. I wrote it down and can track the shipment to make sure it got to them.

I know that. I saw it on the original label. But, when I peeled it off to get to the return label, I didn't recognize anything that looked like a FedEx tracking number.....

Resist
Jan 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
I didn't recognize anything that looked like a FedEx tracking number.....
Apple should have sent you a tracking number via email. At least they did that with me, but unfortunately their tracking number didn't work so I had no clue when my Nano was to arrive.

quagmire
Jan 19, 2012, 04:15 PM
Apple should have sent you a tracking number via email. At least they did that with me, but unfortunately their tracking number didn't work so I had no clue when my Nano was to arrive.

That was when the replacement is sent out. This was when I was returning the 1G to Apple for replacement.

gpsouza
Jan 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
so when people are saying that they are getting 6th gen ipods, are they referring to the brand new ipod or last years model. They both look very similar. Not many changes where made to the new model.

Actually is the 7th gen Nano, I guess. As far as I know the "difference" between 7th and 6th is the firmware version, which only 7th has 1.2 firmware... I received my nano today and it is 1.2 firmware, so i can supose that is a 7th gen Nano :D

seong
Jan 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
Actually is the 7th gen Nano, I guess. As far as I know the "difference" between 7th and 6th is the firmware version, which only 7th has 1.2 firmware... I received my nano today and it is 1.2 firmware, so i can supose that is a 7th gen Nano :D

The difference is NOT firmware. The "7th gen", as some people call it, has built in pedometer, and a lower price. The "6th gen" can upgrade to 1.2.

MyMusic
Jan 22, 2012, 12:54 AM
For those of you who got the 6th generation iPod in place of your 1st... Do they attempt to put your old music on it? I'm kind of heart broken that all my music might be gone, I feel like I should have just kept it :(

gpsouza
Jan 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
The difference is NOT firmware. The "7th gen", as some people call it, has built in pedometer, and a lower price. The "6th gen" can upgrade to 1.2.

Yeah, sure, i forgot the pedometer, my fault.
About the firmware, that was what i saw googling it, i dont know if the posts were too old...

Nevertheless, i've received a "7th" gen from apple. Pretty cool.

----------

For those of you who got the 6th generation iPod in place of your 1st... Do they attempt to put your old music on it? I'm kind of heart broken that all my music might be gone, I feel like I should have just kept it :(

Nope, you will get a "blank" ipod.

Resist
Jan 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
Actually is the 7th gen Nano, I guess. As far as I know the "difference" between 7th and 6th is the firmware version, which only 7th has 1.2 firmware... I received my nano today and it is 1.2 firmware, so i can supose that is a 7th gen Nano :DAs I said in my post #127, the 6th and 7th gen Nano's have the updated firmware. But there is also internal hardware differences to the 7th Gen version, nothing which changes much.

Clix Pix
Jan 22, 2012, 08:21 PM

OF course they don't put the contents of your old iPod on to the new one. Apple doesn't do that -- it is YOUR responsibility prior to sending the thing in to have backed up your old iPod (which should be easy enough if everything is in your iTunes library) so that then when you get the new, fresh, blank iPod you simply connect it to your computer and iTunes and synchronize everything.

Resist
Jan 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
For those of you who got the 6th generation iPod in place of your 1st... Do they attempt to put your old music on it? I'm kind of heart broken that all my music might be gone, I feel like I should have just kept it :(What a funny question. How would your music be gone if it's backed up in iTunes on your computer?

george-brooks
Jan 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Got my 6th gen replacement for my 1st gen a couple weeks ago, I couldn't be happier. I wasn't a huge fan of the new generation at first and didn't want to spend any money on one (I just wanted it to wear as a watch) but now that I got one for free, I'm totally in love with it! I never even used my old Nano, I'm really happy that they ran out of NOS 1st gen models!!

Resist
Jan 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of the new generation at first and didn't want to spend any money on one (I just wanted it to wear as a watch) but now that I got one for free, I'm totally in love with it! I never even used my old Nano, I'm really happy that they ran out of NOS 1st gen models!!I have to say that I feel the same way now as well.

kg1984
Jan 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Just back from the Apple store, my replacement 6th generation died after 2 weeks. They replaced it there, but tried to claim initially I was out of warranty as I purchased it in 2006 (when I got the original 1st gen Nano!). I explained I wasn't a time traveller and they eventually accepted.

This (new) new one is clearly a refurb - it's even got glue residue around the screen from where it seems to have been repaired.

archre
Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
What a funny question. How would your music be gone if it's backed up in iTunes on your computer?

Offtopic, but who would seriously want to use iTunes? I'm using Floola instead of bloated iTunes crap.

MickeyLynn
Jan 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
As cool as my first gen nano was I'm super stoked to think I might get a 6th gen as a replacement! Especially since my 1G was only one gig!

Step 1 Request
January 13, 2012: Product received
Step 2 Service
January 14, 2012: Issue identified
Step 3 Return
January 14, 2012: Product replacement pending

Are people for sure still getting 6G's? C'mon Apple...gimme my 'pod! :P

:D

BASTI51
Jan 26, 2012, 03:24 AM
As cool as my first gen nano was I'm super stoked to think I might get a 6th gen as a replacement! Especially since my 1G was only one gig!

Step 1 Request
January 13, 2012: Product received
Step 2 Service
January 14, 2012: Issue identified
Step 3 Return
January 14, 2012: Product replacement pending

Are people for sure still getting 6G's? C'mon Apple...gimme my 'pod! :P

:D
yepp

Step 1 Request

January 12, 2012: Product received

Step 2 Service

January 12, 2012: Issue identified

Step 3 Return

January 25, 2012: Replacement Product Shipped

SN says its an 6G

destination is germany

MickeyLynn
Jan 26, 2012, 04:56 PM
yepp

Step 1 Request

January 12, 2012: Product received

Step 2 Service

January 12, 2012: Issue identified

Step 3 Return

January 25, 2012: Replacement Product Shipped

SN says its an 6G

destination is germany

Sweet! A couple days ahead of mine! I know there doesn't seem to be too much rhyme or reason as to who's gets replaced when, but let's hope I see something tomorrow or at least early next week! Yayz! :D

Namji
Feb 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Just got mine two days ago..I sent in my 1st gen on Jan 10th..

I also bought the watch band for it.

Clix Pix
Feb 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yeehaw!!! I just got my notification from Apple that mine has been shipped today..... I'd begun to wonder if something had gone wrong in the system, so this is good news. Now I can start thinking about what kind of watchband I want....

saraviamd
Feb 17, 2012, 02:58 PM

I dropped mine on nov 15 th and the web shows jan 30th !!!!! Come'n !!! Apple changes dates to its convenience !!

Clix Pix
Feb 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
My replacement for the first-gen iPod Nano arrived today....it's cute but frankly, I am glad that I didn't ever buy one! I'm happy enough with it as a substitute for the first-gen Nano which was only 4 GB and which had been living in a drawer for some time now, but....really, while it's cute and while it has a little more capacity than my previous one, I don't think it's all that satisfactory overall. I'll primarily be using it as a "watch," anyway, so I probably shouldn't be fussing about it..... For listening to music I have my old 5G iPod that I can use in the car and at home I often just listen to music right from iTunes while the computer is on. I am not someone who goes walking around with the iPod connected to me and listening to music whereverI am, so it's all kind of moot. I was just kind of surprised, though, at this device being somewhat less than I was expecting....