PDA

View Full Version : Explosion at Pegatron Factory for Apple Products, Injuries Reported

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2011, 07:43 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/18/explosion-at-pegatron-factory-for-apple-products-injuries-reported/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/iphone_4s_siri-150x134.jpg

Reuters reports (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/19/us-pegatron-idUSTRE7BI02R20111219) that Apple's manufacturing partner Pegatron has acknowledged that a "small explosion" has occurred at one of its factories in Shanghai, China. The report notes that there have been some injuries as a result of the incident, but there are no reports of fatalities at this time.Pegatron said in a statement released early on Sunday that there was some damage to machinery but it can readjust the facility so the impact on its operations and revenues will not be big.

A source with knowledge of the matter said the facility affected is partly used to make products for Apple.Pegatron has been a supplier for the CDMA iPhone 4 and has also been ramping up to begin adding to iPhone 4S capacity, with most of its production set to be focused on Asian distribution. There have also been claims that Pegatron is coming on board (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/28/pegatron-coming-on-board-as-new-manufacturer-for-ipad-3/) as a manufacturer for the iPad 3.

The news is reminiscent of that regarding a May explosion (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/20/explosion-reported-at-foxconns-ipad-production-plant-in-chengdu-china/) at one of Foxconn's facilities where it worked on Apple products, including the iPad. That explosion killed three workers and injured well over a dozen others.

Update: Reuters has updated its report to note that 61 workers were injured in the explosion and that the factory had not yet begun production. The facility is said to be planned to produce back panel parts for the iPad 2. Apple has also issued a statement on the situation:"Our hearts go out to the people who were hurt in Songjiang. We are working closely with Pegatron to understand the cause of this accident," said spokeswoman Carolyn Wu.

Article Link: Explosion at Pegatron Factory for Apple Products, Injuries Reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/18/explosion-at-pegatron-factory-for-apple-products-injuries-reported/)

SandboxGeneral
Dec 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
I hope and pray no one's injuries were too serious.

ironsienna
Dec 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
Damn.. that's so sad.. What is going on with these explosions lately? It starts looking suspicious..

CubusX
Dec 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I hope Apple steps up and compensates the workers that are injuried. Conditions in these Chinese factories are ridiculously unsafe and they are treated poorly.

RalfTheDog
Dec 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
This makes you wonder if someone in China does not like Apple.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 18, 2011, 07:56 PM

It is possible, but in all likelihood, $*#& happens. It was probably some kind of accident or breakage of a machines causing the explosion.

fjanderson94
Dec 18, 2011, 07:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope everybody is alright but more importantly so how will this effect iPhone supply demand? Jk

ironsienna
Dec 18, 2011, 07:59 PM

I don't know if there is someone in China that does not like Apple, I bet though that Apple will never build a factory in Korea… too close to Samsung..

RalfTheDog
Dec 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
It is possible, but in all likelihood, $*#& happens. It's was probably some kind of accident or breakage of a machines causing the explosion.

That is what I thought for the first one. The second makes me wonder. I don't think making iStuff would require much risk of things going boom.

kdarling
Dec 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
Damn.. that's so sad.. What is going on with these explosions lately? It starts looking suspicious..

Never look for a conspiracy when something can be explained by stupidity or rushing on the part of management.

It was probably caused by combustible dust, the same as happened to that iPad factory (http://techland.time.com/2011/05/24/combustible-dust-plant-explosion-may-cost-apple-500000-ipads/) earlier this year.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 18, 2011, 08:02 PM
That is what I thought for the first one. The second makes me wonder. I don't think making iStuff would require much risk of things going boom.

I've never been to any of their iStuff factories so I don't know what they have in there. Do you?

I would imagine they could have some volatile chemicals.

dlastmango
Dec 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I hope Apple steps up and compensates the workers that are injuried. Conditions in these Chinese factories are ridiculously unsafe and they are treated poorly.

sorry, I do have compassion for those who are injured. but this is company that makes products for Apple, and many others. if you make a product that is used in 20 different other companies products and there is an accident in your factory... should all 20 companies pay to help out YOUR employees.
If it was an apple store, with apple employees I would understand. But the company should take care of its employees and Apple should choose it vendors based on numerous factors. worker safety playing a big part.

(sorry for the rant)

Peace on Earth and Merry Christmas... (to those who choose to celebrate it)
Happy Holidays to everyone else.

CubusX
Dec 18, 2011, 08:24 PM

sorry, I do have compassion for those who are injured. but this is company that makes products for Apple, and many others. if you make a product that is used in 20 different other companies products and there is an accident in your factory... should all 20 companies pay to help out YOUR employees.
If it was an apple store, with apple employees I would understand. But the company should take care of its employees and Apple should choose it vendors based on numerous factors. worker safety playing a big part.

(sorry for the rant)

Peace on Earth and Merry Christmas... (to those who choose to celebrate it)
Happy Holidays to everyone else.

Two explosions and worker suicides at the same plant, is ridiculous. Apple can pull out of there at any time, yet they continue to give them business. These accidents and incidents make that plant and any company that does business with them look bad.

*LTD*
Dec 18, 2011, 08:27 PM

Two explosions and worker suicides at the same plant, is ridiculous. Apple can pull out of there at any time,

No they can't. Pulling out would cause huge production issues. And especially during this time of year, that's the last thing Apple needs, and the supplier as well.

gnasher729
Dec 18, 2011, 08:33 PM

Don't worry about explosions. Many, many hundred US workers die every year falling from step ladders.

Never look for a conspiracy when something can be explained by stupidity or rushing on the part of management.

It was probably caused by combustible dust, the same as happened to that iPad factory (http://techland.time.com/2011/05/24/combustible-dust-plant-explosion-may-cost-apple-500000-ipads/) earlier this year.

Well, maybe worry about explosions as well. According to http://dustexplosions.blogspot.com/ : "In 2008, information obtained through media reports indicated 200+ combustible dust related fires and explosions in the grain, manufacturing, utility, and non-manufacturing sectors in the United States."

Two explosions and worker suicides at the same plant, is ridiculous. Apple can pull out of there at any time, yet they continue to give them business. These accidents and incidents make that plant and any company that does business with them look bad.

One explosion and suicides not at one plant, but at a company that employs about 800,000 people. Widely reported because that company builds stuff for Apple (and dozens of other, less interesting companies), but ignoring the fact that the suicide rate in the US population is about four times higher than the rate among Foxconn employees. And now one explosion at a different plant, when apparently there were 200 explosions in the USA in 2008 alone.

No they can't. Pulling out would cause huge production issues. And especially during this time of year, that's the last thing Apple needs, and the supplier as well.

Since you replied to a post that threw suicides into the discussion: If Apple pulled out from China, and ten thousands of Chinese people lost their jobs and livelihood, how many suicides would that cause?

*LTD*
Dec 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
Vent Radioactive gas

"N-O."

Venting prevents explosion

"Venting prevents ex- plosh-ee-on. Fine. Vent the stupid gas."

SandboxGeneral
Dec 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Vent Radioactive gas

"N-O."

Venting prevents explosion

"Venting prevents ex- plosh-ee-on. Fine. Vent the stupid gas."

Homer. Lol

firewood
Dec 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
Damn.. that's so sad.. What is going on with these explosions lately?

What is going on is that you aren't noticing the dust explosions and many many deaths from other industrial accidents that are going on right in your own country. Why the ignorance?

stoopkitty
Dec 18, 2011, 09:38 PM
this shouldnt be page 2

wordoflife
Dec 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
First and formost, I hope everyone is OK.

Bonch
Dec 18, 2011, 11:37 PM
Part magical beast Pegasus, part computer wizard TRON, we are Pegatron!

Ihatefall
Dec 18, 2011, 11:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple's da bomb!

absoloodle37
Dec 19, 2011, 01:16 AM
Absolutely tragic. Horrific...

So...when are they gonna get back to work and crank out my iPad 3? I'm an American, Damnit!!!

justperry
Dec 19, 2011, 02:35 AM
100% safety is an illusion, no company has a 100% safety record, whether it is in China the UK or the US.
Thats a sad fact of life, accidents do happen although they can do a lot to prevent them but eventually people die in such huge companies.
Those factories are I think as safe as the ones in the US.

the8thark
Dec 19, 2011, 03:47 AM

Actually I disagree.
The plant can refuse to make Apple products for Apple if they choose to. It's them who said yes to working with Apple. it's not up to Apple to make sure the sub-contracted workers in the plant are safe and happy. it's the job of the company that hired them to make sure of this.

Zimmer62943
Dec 19, 2011, 06:31 AM
this shouldnt be page 2

and yet if it was made page 1, then there would surely be some ranting about how it shouldn't be page 1.

r1on1wheel
Dec 19, 2011, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another iPhone self combusted causing a domino effect of iPhone 4s mini explosions. Please check the altitude.

Rocketman
Dec 19, 2011, 08:00 AM
http://portal.questforum.org/questVer2/pubProfileAction.do?tlid=3225

hortod1
Dec 19, 2011, 08:07 AM

61 injured is not exactly a "small" explosion.

sweetbrat
Dec 19, 2011, 08:32 AM
This is very tragic, as is any accident where someone gets injured. Truth be told, though, it only makes the news because they're producing stuff for Apple. Accidents happen at factories around the world all the time, but most are never reported on because they're not involved with a multi-billion dollar company.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have compassion for those that were injured...of course we should. But the fact that this gets reported on when other similar incidents don't makes it seem like this is only happening to Apple suppliers, which just isn't true. I also don't think it's fair for Apple to be expected to compensate the employees that were injured. If they do, that's wonderful and very kind. But keep in mind that those people aren't Apple employees, they're employees of Pegatron. Pegatron should be taking care of them. Apple has done a lot in recent years to try to make working conditions better, but I'm sure it's difficult when you don't have direct control over everything.

I hope everyone that was injured recovers quickly, and hopefully they can find out what caused the explosion to keep this from happening again.

Gasu E.
Dec 19, 2011, 08:33 AM

It's a Taiwanese company-- their parent company owns both Pegatron and ASUS computers. I hope Apple pushes all of its suppliers hard to create safe working conditions, but Apple should not compensate Pegatron's employees directly, unless Apple was specifically the cause of a condition that led to this accident. Pegatron serves many clients and they need to have their feet held to the fire; not have Apple cover for their mistakes.

macingman
Dec 19, 2011, 08:36 AM

If Apple pulls out of one factory, where would they go? All the factories in China and the third world suffer the same problems. It is worth noting that every product you see that says "made in China" has 99% been produced in a factory where workers are not treated fairly. I don't see you telling all the other millions of companies that have goods produced there to pull out.

Also the suicide rate of Foxconn and other "Apple factories" are lower then the suicide rate in China and the world.

Shrink
Dec 19, 2011, 08:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple's da bomb!

Such sensitivity and compassion for the pain of others.

Stay classy, newbie...

antonis
Dec 19, 2011, 08:53 AM
Don't worry about explosions. Many, many hundred US workers die every year falling from step ladders.

Is this literally true ? Hundreds every year ? And because of falling from ladders ?
If the numbers are literally true, that's huge. Something should be done immediately ? I was shocked even by reading that.

rnizlek
Dec 19, 2011, 09:57 AM
It is possible, but in all likelihood, $*#& happens. It's was probably some kind of accident or breakage of a machines causing the explosion.

What's happening is the complete lack of regulatory oversight. There's a reason why stuff like this is not a regular occurrence in the United States.

carlgo
Dec 19, 2011, 09:58 AM

61 injured is not exactly a "small" explosion.

Beat me to it..."small explosion", 61 injured...Bet there's more to come.

Guess who also got in fast...all the apologists. With all the usual talking points ranging from wanting to bury the story to people standing on ladders wrong.

Glideslope
Dec 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
I don't know if there is someone in China that does not like Apple, I bet though that Apple will never build a factory in Korea… too close to Samsung..

No need. Apple fabs it's A5 right here in Austin at Samsung's 4 Billion Fab Plant.

Don't read too much into the Samsung Apple stuff. Steve has only been gone a short while. It will take Tim a while to cool things down, and still protect Apple's property. Remember, Steve could be a very nasty ass**** when he wanted to. Gotta get past the old memories of some. :apple:

newyorksole
Dec 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
this shouldnt be page 2

are you gonna protest and lose sleep at night that this article isn't on page 1?..... nope. so get on with your life.

gnasher729
Dec 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Beat me to it..."small explosion", 61 injured...Bet there's more to come.

Guess who also got in fast...all the apologists. With all the usual talking points ranging from wanting to bury the story to people standing on ladders wrong.

Learn about statistics.

From the website of a British ambulance chaser: http://www.ashleyainsworth.com/work-accident-compensation-claim/ladder-accident-compensation-claims.html There are around 1200 major injuries suffered in the UK every year due to accidents involving ladders.

1200 is twenty times as many as 61. And one number is "major injuries" while the other is "injuries", which means even the slightest injury was counted.

And having actually been involved in health and safety, yes, people get killed all the time because the are standing on ladders wrong. Mostly totally avoidable, but as long as there are idiots who think they know it all and believe they are immune to any risk, that isn't going to change.

What's happening is the complete lack of regulatory oversight. There's a reason why stuff like this is not a regular occurrence in the United States.

200 explosions in the workplace in the USA in 2008. Not a regular occurrence?

Amazing Iceman
Dec 19, 2011, 11:09 AM
100% safety is an illusion, no company has a 100% safety record, whether it is in China the UK or the US.
Thats a sad fact of life, accidents do happen although they can do a lot to prevent them but eventually people die in such huge companies.
Those factories are I think as safe as the ones in the US.

Sometimes these kind of accidents are caused by some 'inexperienced new worker' who hides in the wrong place to smoke a cigarette. Some areas use acids and other flammable fluids that could ignite with anything, even static electricity.

firewood
Dec 19, 2011, 11:43 AM

Read some OSHA and NTSB data. Industrial accidents, including explosions, ARE a regular occurrence in the U.S. Lots of people regularly die in industries providing your energy, building stuff in your country, growing your food, and transporting stuff to your locale.

guzhogi
Dec 19, 2011, 11:53 AM

I hope everybody is alright but more importantly so how will this effect iPhone supply demand? Jk

You know what the ****ed up part of this is? There are probably people who think that.

Read some OSHA and NTSB data. Industrial accidents, including explosions, ARE a regular occurrence in the U.S. Lots of people regularly die in industries providing your energy, building stuff in your country, growing your food, and transporting stuff to your locale.

That's the problem with many people & companies today. They're more concerned about making as many products as quickly & cheaply as possible & not about quality of work conditions. It's all about the money. Shame.

firewood
Dec 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
That's the problem with many people & companies today. They're more concerned about making as many products as quickly & cheaply as possible & not about quality of work conditions. It's all about the money. Shame.

Let's turn that around. When was the last time you went into a chain restaurant, shoe store or gas station (etc.), and inquired about the benefits and working conditions of the ranchers, farmers, shoe makers, and oil drillers (etc.) who produced what you were about to buy?

JHankwitz
Dec 19, 2011, 03:07 PM

Not to mention the number of people that would become unemployed. Unfortunately, we get no news of the hundreds of other industrial accidents occuring. Only Apple gets reported because it sells viewership like none other.

----------

You know what the ****ed up part of this is? There are probably people who think that.

It's not the companies problem. They get direction from their customers via sales figures. When people choose to purchase quick and cheap, that's what they make. You as a customer set the direction.

japanime
Dec 20, 2011, 12:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Homer. Lol

I thought he was quoting TEPCO. ;)

ggibson913
Dec 20, 2011, 09:41 AM

I hope the workers and their families are safe. It sort of makes me question when a manufacturer is used who's safety standards for workers is substandard.

gnasher729
Dec 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
I hope the workers and their families are safe. It sort of makes me question when a manufacturer is used who's safety standards for workers is substandard.

What evidence do you have that safety standards were substandard? **** happens. 200 explosions in the US of A in 2008 alone. When things go wrong, one should obviously try to figure out _why_ they went wrong, whether there were faults at the company that shouldn't have happened and that need to be fixed, and so on. But your are making assumptions without having the slightest evidence.

Ihatefall
Dec 24, 2013, 04:22 AM
Such sensitivity and compassion for the pain of others.

Stay classy, newbie...

I just found this and I definitely LOL'd at myself, I guess in the end I win! I am also giggling over how you tried to flame me for posting less than me, your proclivity is posting so much on a website that you're regarded as a senőr Demi-god, gasp the newbie dareth speakth to a god.

(FYI Macrumors is in my feed but I don't log into the site often. But maybe I should so the gods of compassion can show me the way.)

Dec 24, 2013, 02:54 PM
I just found this and I definitely LOL'd at myself, I guess in the end I win!

Don't. Bump. A. Two. Year. Old. Thread.