Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
My iPod is hosed. The menus that used to lead me to my music, lead me to blank lists. Also, if the iPod is connected via firewire, iTunes will shut itself down.

So I'm ready to reinitialize the iPod. Trouble is, I've misplaced the OEM Apple AC wall adapter. I'd like to pick up a 3rd-party AC wall adapter for like $5 instead of $29 at an Apple Store. Will such an adapter work when I go to reinitialize the Pod when it tells me plug it into the wall?

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i'm sure a 3rd party one will work when you plug it in, after all, it only supplys the power.

if you want a cheap 3rd party one why dont you just go to the shop to buy one?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
if i were you i'd just go to the nearest apple retail store (not sure if you have any near you, sorry) and do it there. they have plenty of ipod docks plugged straight into power (no, they're not plugged into the laptops like everyone thinks).

that way, it's free! :) or just make an appointment with a genius and they'll definitely fix it for you.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
russed said:
i'm sure a 3rd party one will work when you plug it in, after all, it only supplys the power.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

Its a little unnerving to reset the iPod without a surefire way to initialize it. After all, the nearest Apple store is 70 miles away in Towson, MD.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
alternatively, you could put your machine to sleep and plug it into that. Works the same as a power adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.