PDA

View Full Version : Rsync Troubles

touficjohn
Dec 18, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hello all, I searched the forums but couldn't seem to find someone who was having the same issues as I am. I'm fairly new to mac but good with linux/unix on the whole.

Basically I want to sync my music collection between my MBP and my NAS drive, so naturally thought of rsync, I was not prepared for the unusual behaviour of the mac osx version of rsync however...

I've tried both AFP and CIFS and it would seem CIFS is functioning better...

Command:
rsync -av --delete /local /remote

Trance/
Trance/.AppleDouble/
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/Volumes/multimedia/Music/Trance/.AppleDouble" failed: No such file or directory (2)

I get tonnes of these errors, on most of my directories and files...

What the hell is .AppleDouble? I googled it and it seems to be some useless file, but I cannot seem to find it using the finder or terminal!

The command, "rsync -aEv --delete /local /remote" seems to copy my entire music collection with "._" prefixed on every file and then they're invisible on my nas via finder, terminal and local ssh...

Do I need -E when using rsync? What on earth is extended attributes anyway?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Many Thanks!

StevenMeyer
Dec 18, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hello all, I searched the forums but couldn't seem to find someone who was having the same issues as I am. I'm fairly new to mac but good with linux/unix on the whole.

Basically I want to sync my music collection between my MBP and my NAS drive, so naturally thought of rsync, I was not prepared for the unusual behaviour of the mac osx version of rsync however...

I've tried both AFP and CIFS and it would seem CIFS is functioning better...

Command:
rsync -av --delete /local /remote

Trance/
Trance/.AppleDouble/
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/Volumes/multimedia/Music/Trance/.AppleDouble" failed: No such file or directory (2)

I get tonnes of these errors, on most of my directories and files...

What the hell is .AppleDouble? I googled it and it seems to be some useless file, but I cannot seem to find it using the finder or terminal!

The command, "rsync -aEv --delete /local /remote" seems to copy my entire music collection with "._" prefixed on every file and then they're invisible on my nas via finder, terminal and local ssh...

Do I need -E when using rsync? What on earth is extended attributes anyway?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Many Thanks!

What version OS?

touficjohn
Dec 18, 2011, 09:23 PM
Lion, 10.7.2
(This is the Lion sub forum right? 0o...)

StevenMeyer
Dec 18, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lion, 10.7.2
(This is the Lion sub forum right? 0o...)

People post in the wrong forum constantly. Rsync changed some for lion and so there are new ways of executing old commands. I am not very familiar with them but I do know it is very different.

dknightd
Dec 19, 2011, 08:45 AM
In days gone by, apple files had two parts - the data fork, and a resource fork. The data part held the data, the resource part held information about the file (type, creator, custom icon etc). I'm not sure how this is handled these days, but, the extended attributes are essentially what used to be in the resource fork. You don't need this for music files (unless you have custom icons and want to keep them) since the file type is now included in the file name prefix (i.e. .mp3)

Here is the command I use to back up my music:

/usr/bin/rsync --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete \
/Volumes/Music\ Span\ 1/iTunes\ Media/ \
"remote.machine.name:/Volumes/Music\ Span\ 1/iTunes\ Media/"

I explicitly specify the path name of rsync since in the past apple's rsync was broken so I had to compile my own version - this is no longer needed, but leaving the full patch names removes confusion since then I know exactly which version of rsync is being used.

(I do a similar thing for my home directory, but here include the -E so icons get copied as well)

Are you rsyncing directly into the nas box, or, to a file system mounted from it?
My guess is that the version of rsync you are using on the nas box does not
properly understand apple files, or, the file system type that is getting mounted does not.