PDA

View Full Version : Internal hard drive blues...

Terrorrizor
Dec 18, 2011, 09:05 PM
So my 2ghz core2duo macbook 3.1's hard drive seems to have given out. My macbook shuts down while it's booting up so am I right about that?
If so will a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD5000BEVT work with my macbook?
And can I get the guys at the genius bar at the apple store to transfer my old hd data to my new one?
Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios
Dec 18, 2011, 09:18 PM
So my 2ghz core2duo macbook 3.1's hard drive seems to have given out. My macbook shuts down while it's booting up so am I right about that?
Sounds like it.

If so will a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD5000BEVT work with my macbook?
Yes, it should.
And can I get the guys at the genius bar at the apple store to transfer my old hd data to my new one?
Sure.

Terrorrizor
Dec 18, 2011, 09:20 PM
Like the title says, thank you.

GGJstudios
Dec 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
Like the title says, thank you.
You're welcome. One thought, though, if you want to try doing this yourself. If you buy the new drive in an enclosure, and you can get your system to boot successfully, you could use Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) to clone your drive to the new one, then simply swap the drives and boot up. If you can't get your system to boot, after you install the new drive and install Mac OS X, you could put the old drive in an enclosure and try to read it as an external drive. That may work well enough for you to recover your files.