Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I am experiencing an odd problem with the Speck SeeThru case being too heavy.

Once I put on the clear case for the lid, I found that the lid is now too heavy to be supported properly by the hinges. When I partially close my MacBook Air, the weight of the lid (with the case) is now so much that the hinge will no longer keep the lid in position such that the lid will eventually drop and close by itself.

The breaking angle is about 45-50 degree, which is quite large. For me, this is very annoying, as I frequently would partially close (but not totally close) the lid as I attend to other matters for short period of time, without risking the MacBook going into sleep or hiberation mode because the lid closes prematurely on its own.

Has anyone experience this?

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
I've always thought that cases like this were unnecessary. A soft sleeve and a padded bag were all I've ever needed to keep our mac portables neat.

Earlier this year my wife was given a similar case for her 1st gen MBA. All it did was make everything heavier, and the extra weight was straining an already problematic hinge (it had been slightly off since it came back from a HD replacement last year). So she decided to take it off. When she removed the cover, the hinge got even worse because she pulled it from the back. Fortunately, the service center changed not only the hinge, but the entire top cover AND LCD for free under Applecare.

So if you are having issues with such cases, I suggest you take it off, carefully. It just might be hiding damage that it itself is causing.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the hinge.

The first 2010 11" i had was fine, and i could put the lid to about an inch of claosing and it'd still hold. I then got the 11" 128GB model with the upgraded processor (got it for a good price so was worth the switch). That hinge was really weak compared to the original, and anything past about 45 degree would cause it to close.

I then got a 1.6ghz i5 11", and that had a solid hinge, and then upgraded to the 1.8ghz i7 11" and same again.

So my theory is it's a problem with the hinge. I don't think apple can tighten the hinges so unless you can persuade them to replace it, i think you're stuck with it.

(I used a speck see thru satin black on all the laptops above)

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Not a problem on a 2010 13 Air. I'm using the Speck on the top half only, as the bottom hinges cracked and fell off, and is totally useless, except as some protection in my backpack.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
I am experiencing an odd problem with the Speck SeeThru case being too heavy.

Once I put on the clear case for the lid, I found that the lid is now too heavy to be supported properly by the hinges. When I partially close my MacBook Air, the weight of the lid (with the case) is now so much that the hinge will no longer keep the lid in position such that the lid will eventually drop and close by itself.

The breaking angle is about 45-50 degree, which is quite large. For me, this is very annoying, as I frequently would partially close (but not totally close) the lid as I attend to other matters for short period of time, without risking the MacBook going into sleep or hiberation mode because the lid closes prematurely on its own.

Has anyone experience this?
Same here.

Since MacBook Air now utilises SSDs, I wouldn't worry too much about sleeping and/or hibernating. The Air's SSD facilitates fast resume anyway.
Alternatively, I set hot corner to switch off the screen to squeeze every single last drop out of the battery.
Yea, I was quite disappointed to find the Air's hinges can't hold up the Speck SeeThru upper case. I grew numb about this though. Still, I think it is quite embarrassing that either Apple and/or Speck came up with a product like this. I can't comment on other PC manufacturers, but this shouldn't happen by Apple's standard.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
How high can your hinge hold with the Speck case? Without the Speck case, how high can it hold then (normally)?

Same here.

Since MacBook Air now utilises SSDs, I wouldn't worry too much about sleeping and/or hibernating. The Air's SSD facilitates fast resume anyway.
Alternatively, I set hot corner to switch off the screen to squeeze every single last drop out of the battery.
Yea, I was quite disappointed to find the Air's hinges can't hold up the Speck SeeThru upper case. I grew numb about this though. Still, I think it is quite embarrassing that either Apple and/or Speck came up with a product like this. I can't comment on other PC manufacturers, but this shouldn't happen by Apple's standard.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
How high can your hinge hold with the Speck case? Without the Speck case, how high can it hold then (normally)?

At first and without the Speck case, the screen will just collapse anywhere less than ~50 degree. It just collapses. It is even worse with the case on. The screen was even wobbling during normal usage.
The entire upper assembly was replaced once. I can tell the hinge has been tightened upon first opening my serviced MacBook Air. The screen can now retain its position at any angle without the Speck case. Though it still collapses at around 50 degree with the Speck case on.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
What model and year is your Macbook Air?

Was your hinge like that when you first purchased it?

At first and without the Speck case, the screen will just collapse anywhere less than ~50 degree. It just collapses. It is even worse with the case on. The screen was even wobbling during normal usage.
The entire upper assembly was replaced once. I can tell the hinge has been tightened upon first opening my serviced MacBook Air. The screen can now retain its position at any angle without the Speck case. Though it still collapses at around 50 degree with the Speck case on.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
What model and year is your Macbook Air?

Was your hinge like that when you first purchased it?

Mine is a MBA2,1 (Late 2008)

I can't quite comment on the hinge because I bought the Speck case with my MacBook Air. I am always on the move, I have never really used my MacBook Air naked. (The Speck case has picked up so much wear and scratches that I was asked if I sanded the surface finish)

But yea, as mentioned above, the Speck case has always been too heavy for the hinge to hold the upper assembly properly.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
How close (without closing it entirely) can you maintain the lid in position with the Speck case on? Can you maintain 30 degree? 45 degree? What is the smallest degree can you lid uphold?

No problem with the weight of the Speck on my 2011 MBA 11.6".

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I think hinge issues can be taken to Apple...

In any case, my 2010 Macbook Air 13" never had this issue. I could leave the hinge at roughly 10 degrees from the lower body, and it would stay there overnight perfectly solid. That's with a black Speck case on. Not sure about an 11" Air, but I would think that a smaller Speck case wouldn't weigh as much.

With the case on, the hinge does feel a bit looser, but nothing too alarming to me.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
How close (without closing it entirely) can you maintain the lid in position with the Speck case on? Can you maintain 30 degree? 45 degree? What is the smallest degree can you lid uphold?

I just checked and even when the lid is cracked open 5-10 mm, the lid maintains its position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.