PDA

View Full Version : Siri Plays a Grand Piano With Some Help From AirPlay and Yamaha

MacRumors
Dec 19, 2011, 11:50 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/19/siri-plays-a-grand-piano-with-some-help-from-airplay-and-yamaha/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/grandpiano-150x167.jpg

Yamaha used some technological trickery to enable Siri to play a concerto (http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/12/19/siri-plays-the-yamaha-disklavier-piano-using-airplay/) on a Yamaha Disklavier Grand Piano.

By converting a MIDI songfile into an audio file that the iPhone can play and connecting the audio output of an Airport Express to the analog input of a MIDI-enabled Disklavier piano (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/disklaviers/grand_pianos/), the iPhone can "play" the MIDI file via AirPlay and control the multi-thousand dollar piano.

As explained (http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/12/19/siri-plays-the-yamaha-disklavier-piano-using-airplay/) to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple:
Then, you simply ask Siri to play your favorite song from your iTunes library, and Siri responds immediately, by making the Disklavier's keys and pedal move up and down, recreating the performance, including full orchestration.dLKUcUlutRk

Article Link: Siri Plays a Grand Piano With Some Help From AirPlay and Yamaha (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/19/siri-plays-a-grand-piano-with-some-help-from-airplay-and-yamaha/)

theteeth
Dec 19, 2011, 11:53 AM
cheap

kjs862
Dec 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
Cool an Apple Express!

writingdevil
Dec 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
I would have given up my favorite bike, bat and swimming rights to have one of those so my Mom would hear music coming from our living room while I was out a window playing with my friends.

Now if only it would have worked for my weekly lesson with Miss Stanley, a true wicked witch, who would have wondered wtf i had been doing in my practice sessions at home.

gagebart
Dec 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can it play some LMFAO

sbrhwkp3
Dec 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
So if I wanted to get my piano to play the Albany YEM...?

justit
Dec 19, 2011, 12:20 PM
Let's be clear here, it's playing a playlist to a device that has MIDI sheet music, *not* converting notes from an MP3 song to a harmonic piano scale. Don't be the idiot that throws out the stereo to make room for a disklaviar piano. :p

wattabing
Dec 19, 2011, 12:45 PM
So if I wanted to get my piano to play the Albany YEM...?

Hahaha, love this phish reference.... Would love to hear the vocal jam done by this piano...

jk8311
Dec 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
Let's be clear here, it's playing a playlist to a device that has MIDI sheet music, *not* converting notes from an MP3 song to a harmonic piano scale. Don't be the idiot that throws out the stereo to make room for a disklaviar piano. :p

According to the linked article (The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/12/19/siri-plays-the-yamaha-disklavier-piano-using-airplay/)) it actually is streaming a converted MIDI file that still has the MIDI information embedded in it.

If that's correct, then I'd like to know how to convert a MIDI to an MP3 and keep the info such that the Yamaha can handle the signal properly to play the piano. Does anyone have instructions for that?

macaddict06
Dec 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Pedal down!!

jayducharme
Dec 19, 2011, 05:20 PM
I guess if you were in the market for a digital piano, this might make sense. But it's a lot cheaper and simpler to hook an iPhone up to a stereo and have Siri simply play digital audio tracks from your playlist. Now if Yamaha had a REAL piano hooked up to play MIDI via Siri, that would be something!

Ferbaca
Dec 19, 2011, 05:42 PM
I dontīt find it difficult to believe for Siri to play the piano this way, but why did they had to produce the video in a matter that everyone could thinks its not true; some of the reasons I hated it were:

1.- They used two different iPhones, one while explaining and another one at the close ups, you can see this by looking at the wallpaper at second 53, that's a different one than the iPhone shows just a second earlier.

2.- At 1:56 you can see a change of day because the time at the iPhone's status bar goes from 8:47 to 5:26 or so.

3.- The most important reason for doubting this video is why doesn't the AirPlay icon show at 1:56 when asking Siri to repeat the song, while in the two other close ups it did...

jlgolson
Dec 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
I guess if you were in the market for a digital piano, this might make sense. But it's a lot cheaper and simpler to hook an iPhone up to a stereo and have Siri simply play digital audio tracks from your playlist. Now if Yamaha had a REAL piano hooked up to play MIDI via Siri, that would be something!
They did have a real piano play MIDI via Siri. It's not a digital piano.

RaMaz07
Dec 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
Lets just get this straight here guys,

the MP3 is ****.

thirdwaver
Dec 20, 2011, 01:03 AM

That was a real piano playing MIDI. I own one (though I own the upright version). Believe me. It's real. Mine was $17,000. The one they're showing there is I believe in the $40-50K range (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). My piano tuner would definitely confirm that it's real ;)

Now if I could just figure out what they mean by "Take a standard MIDI songfile and convert it to an audio file (while maintaining the MIDI data)." How the heck do you do that?

ProVideo
Dec 20, 2011, 03:40 AM
Stupid computer. He said Rhapsody in Blue, not the United Airlines theme.

jayducharme
Dec 20, 2011, 06:00 AM
They did have a real piano play MIDI via Siri. It's not a digital piano.

You're right; my bad. I thought they were talking about the Clavinova series. The Diskclavier is indeed a real piano. Wow.

needfx
Dec 20, 2011, 10:26 AM
Would be cool if it could connect to BAND

Aldaris
Dec 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
Cool an Apple Express!

Did we miss an announcement?

davidg4781
Dec 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
I dontīt find it difficult to believe for Siri to play the piano this way, but why did they had to produce the video in a matter that everyone could thinks its not true; some of the reasons I hated it were:

3.- The most important reason for doubting this video is why doesn't the AirPlay icon show at 1:56 when asking Siri to repeat the song, while in the two other close ups it did...

Ok, I'm in a bit of a rush, so I can't do much research on this....

But are they streaming the music from the iPhone? If so, is AirPlay the correct term to send it from the iPhone/Mac to an Apple Express? I thought AirPlay was just for streaming to an AppleTV or AirPlay enabled receiver.

Either that, or maybe they're controlling an iTunes library on a Mac that's sending it to the Airport Express. I'm not sure Siri can control such a library, but that could be what's going on.

Counterfit
Dec 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
Ok, I'm in a bit of a rush, so I can't do much research on this....

But are they streaming the music from the iPhone? If so, is AirPlay the correct term to send it from the iPhone/Mac to an Apple Express? I thought AirPlay was just for streaming to an AppleTV or AirPlay enabled receiver.

AirPlay was originally AirTunes, which was originally featured on the AirPort Express.

Mag748
Dec 21, 2011, 09:54 AM
Two comments on the original The Loop article:

by Steve Hoge:
"audio output of the Airport Express is then connected to the analog MIDI inputs of the Disklavier"

Huh? What the heck is an "analog MIDI input"? This thing is doing pitch-detection and conversion to MIDI in real time?

by Thirdwaver:
"Take a standard MIDI songfile and convert it to an audio file (while maintaining the MIDI data)."

How is this done?

Both of these questions need to be answered by Yamaha for anyone to understand exactly what is going on. I suspect this has a lot more to do with the SmartKEY for Disklavier invented by Craig Knudsen than SIRI.

adbe
Dec 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Now if I could just figure out what they mean by "Take a standard MIDI songfile and convert it to an audio file (while maintaining the MIDI data)." How the heck do you do that?

Those old enough to remember tape loader computers from the 1980s, or Modems from the '90s will have some idea.

MIDI is pretty simple, and very fault tolerant. It'll accept a decent amount of signal degradation before throwing up errors.

Converting the MIDI to an analogue signal such as audio is simply a case of running the digital waveform through a DAC. Getting the digital back at the other end similarly requires only an ADC. The audio being streamed through AirPlay would be seem meaningless and unpleasant to us.

The only trick to all of this is that most ADCs and DACs limit pretty hard between about 10-20Hz and 20-24KHz. MIDI is pretty low frequency, and might not not translate well through the D-A-D process. As such, the MIDI may be mixed with a carrier wave of some kind. The article doesn't provide enough detail to know. (Edit: this process is typically known as modulation/demodulation, from where modems take their name).

Either way, this is cool, but nothing unprecedented

eNcrypTioN
Dec 21, 2011, 12:27 PM
Cool stuff. What can't she do?

cshearer
Dec 21, 2011, 02:43 PM
Cool stuff. What can't she do?Find an abortion clinic. ;)