PDA

View Full Version : Lion and Google Chrome

chrf097
Dec 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
So my Mac FINALLY came (I'm on it right now! YAY!) and I was wondering if the current version of Google Chrome supports all the multitouch features of Mac OS X Lion. Don't get me wrong, Safari is great, but I like my Chrome :)

eternalife
Dec 19, 2011, 03:22 PM
It supports swipe (back/forward) although not with the same animation.

r0k
Dec 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
So my Mac FINALLY came (I'm on it right now! YAY!) and I was wondering if the current version of Google Chrome supports all the multitouch features of Mac OS X Lion. Don't get me wrong, Safari is great, but I like my Chrome :)

I don't own a "newer" mac with one of those "multitouch" things. I have a crusty old Logitech bluetooth mouse with one of those... WHEELS. I use the wheel for scrolling up and down and I can tilt the wheel from side to side to scroll left and right. Ironically, the wheel was designed for Windows but the only OS I have found that consistently supports it is OS X.

I prefer Chrome to Safari though I hear Safari is actually better on OS X. I use xmarks to cart my bookmarks around between Firefox, Chrome and Safari except that the xmarks thingy for Safari is some sort of frankenstein monster that seems to crash all the time so Safari is the odd browser out for me because it doesn't have a proper xmarks add-on.

Sorry I can't help you with multitouch but I have found that Apple programs fully support the latest OS bells and whistles and third party programs take some time to come around. If you use iWork, iLife, Safari, Textedit, Address and iCal, you get all those swoops and swipes. If you use OpenOffice/LibreOffice, Chrome, Firefox and many others you get "legacy" mouse/trackpad/multitouch behavior.

Maybe in 2012 I'll get one of those newfangled Macbook Pros and I can put my Logitech Mouse out to pasture with my bag phone and buggy whip collection.

bill-p
Dec 19, 2011, 11:21 PM

As mentioned, two-finger swipe back and forward works. But pinch-to-zoom like iOS doesn't work. Also pages don't bounce when you overscroll them.

Another problem is that fullscreen view may be bugged with certain extensions.

Safari is great only if you care about battery life. If you are not on a Macbook, then you can disregard it altogether.

KnightWRX
Dec 20, 2011, 07:32 AM
Safari is great only if you care about battery life.

Uh ? Chrome or Safari makes no difference on battery life.

chrf097
Dec 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
So I installed Chome, it works well and has the full screen, so I won't be using Safari. Thanks!

silverhand31
Dec 20, 2011, 10:46 AM
Can't live without smart zoom cause my MBP is 13i. In chrome, it hurt my eyes so bad( font changed but not help much).

phyrexia
Dec 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
You can pinch to zoom in Chrome, but it happens in tiers, not in a fluid manner a la Safari.

KnightWRX
Dec 20, 2011, 05:26 PM
Can't live without smart zoom cause my MBP is 13i. In chrome, it hurt my eyes so bad( font changed but not help much).

110 or so PPI hurts your eyes ? How far away from the screen do you stand ?

aeaglex07
Dec 22, 2011, 07:35 AM
anyone know if theres a way to get tab overview working in Lion. I enabled it in chrome:flags but it still doesnt work

wrldwzrd89
Dec 22, 2011, 07:39 AM
You can pinch to zoom in Chrome, but it happens in tiers, not in a fluid manner a la Safari.
This is because Chrome hasn't yet been updated to take full advantage of hardware-accelerated rendering the way Safari has. Due to Chrome's rapid release cycle, I suspect this will come soon enough ;)

buddyspencer
Dec 31, 2011, 05:00 AM
Is there maybe a beta, where it already works with?

3bs
Dec 31, 2011, 05:13 AM
The double three finger tap to define a word works on and off.. So I just added a google extension that lets you double tap a word to define it. Works great for now

zeemeerman2
Jan 1, 2012, 07:48 PM
Chrome does overscroll. Just tested it now on my 15" MBP Late 2011.
Previous/Forward is a special arrow animation.

For example, previous is the animation below. Scroll the arrow to the left to the right side of the screen to go to the previous page. (Or about halfway the screen is fine too)

rocknblogger
Jan 1, 2012, 08:47 PM
I used to be 100% Chrome user but when upgraded to Lion I started using Safari because of how deeply integrated it is with the OS and now I like it better than Chrome.

They're both built on webkit so really they are very similar anyway. The perfect browser would be a mash up of Chrome and Safari, for me.

bill-p
Jan 1, 2012, 10:03 PM
Uh ? Chrome or Safari makes no difference on battery life.

If you're on a 15" MBP, yes, it does. Chrome kicks the dedicated GPU in as soon as it starts, and the dedicated GPU is used throughout the whole period. Safari only does so rarely when certain Flash clips are running.

chrf097
Jan 1, 2012, 10:15 PM
Well I see my topic is still hot. I'm on Safari because Chrome was actually TERRIBLE on the Mac for me. I have a Flash site I go to on a regular basis. It lagged HORRIBLY and my text input wasn't working well (I'd have to hit keys 2 or 3 times). I hope that when Chrome gets better (and has better integration; I can't STAND that tiered zoom), I'll switch back to it.

KnightWRX
Jan 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
If you're on a 15" MBP, yes, it does. Chrome kicks the dedicated GPU in as soon as it starts, and the dedicated GPU is used throughout the whole period. Safari only does so rarely when certain Flash clips are running.

Hum, fixed as of Chrome 16, with OS X 10.7.1 :

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=88788

Support for dynamic GPU switching has been added to Chrome per the above CL.

Currently it only has an effect on the latest MacBook Pros running 10.7.1, and only supports switching from the integrated to the discrete GPU, and not back. However, Apple has indicated that the behavior will improve in the future.

On these machines, Chrome will stay on the integrated GPU unless WebGL, Pepper 3D, or the accelerated 2D canvas are used.

Closing as fixed.

Comment 25 by kbr@chromium.org, Oct 18, 2011
This change will be in Chrome 16 and later. You can test the functionality now in Canary builds.

So you're about 2 months late on that bug. ;) Chrome 16 has been pushed out by Google about 3 weeks ago so anyone running 10.7.1 and Chrome doesn't suffer from this bug anymore, technically.

theSeb
Jan 2, 2012, 02:50 PM
Edit: nevermind. Chrome update discussed already.

bill-p
Jan 2, 2012, 03:55 PM

So you're about 2 months late on that bug. ;) Chrome 16 has been pushed out by Google about 3 weeks ago so anyone running 10.7.1 and Chrome doesn't suffer from this bug anymore, technically.

Please read it again. It switches to the dedicated GPU, but not back.

Currently it only has an effect on the latest MacBook Pros running 10.7.1, and only supports switching from the integrated to the discrete GPU, and not back.

So after running Flash or something of the sort, the integrated GPU doesn't return. The dedicated GPU keeps running. That causes battery life to tank significantly.

It's the difference between 3-4 hours of battery life and 8-9 hours of battery life for me.

KnightWRX
Jan 2, 2012, 05:49 PM
Please read it again. It switches to the dedicated GPU, but not back.

So after running Flash or something of the sort, the integrated GPU doesn't return. The dedicated GPU keeps running. That causes battery life to tank significantly.

It's the difference between 3-4 hours of battery life and 8-9 hours of battery life for me.

Nope, not Flash. Only for WebGL, Pepper 3D, or the accelerated 2D canvas. Plug-ins run their own code outside of browsers. ;) Your chances of encountering these on the web these days are abysmally small. This was also detailed in the thread if you read it.

And Safari probably does not switch back either for these. Anyway, it's moot, closing the browser after running a GPU using one of these functions will revert to the integrated GPU.

Anyway, seems to be an Apple bug after all :

Comment 34 by kbr@chromium.org, Dec 16, 2011
It is not technically possible for Google to make this work on Snow Leopard; Apple would have to help, as they did to make this work on Lion. I doubt very much that Apple would be receptive to working on this for their now-legacy OS.

Yaboze
Jan 4, 2012, 08:30 AM

I noticed this as well and didn't know it was a bug. I read that Chrome was always using the dedicated and checked, indeed my AMD GPU was being used.