Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
after i burn a cd or dvd and eject it from the computer, it comes out all scratched up and dirty. is this normal?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
proverbs said:
should i just go to apple store? who do i take it to?
If you have an applestore nearby, book into the genius bar, and take along some of the burnt CDs. If not, call apple support and describe the problem, and they will tell you what to do.
Whatever, your problem doesn't sound right! - Can you post a picture of one of these damaged CDs? My guess would be dirt/grit in the slot drive.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i don't have my digicam right now...but basically what happens is that right after i burn a cd and eject it, the top will have a bunch of light scratches and some deeper scratches that peels off the top coating of the cd...the back of the cd has the same problem...on top of that, theres a few dirt spots on both sides of the cd...very weird.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
FYI - On cheap CD-Rs the data is actually held on a thin layer on the TOP of the Disc. The plastic on the bottom was for protection.
The reason I know this is I had a friend that used cheap CD-Rs and he used to label them with Biro - as soon as he'd written on them they became useless :D
Think he learnt his lesson pretty quick!
Do the CDs work in your PB/CD player/Other computer?

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
yes...most of them work, but it's weird how it comes out all scratched up with dirt...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Does this happen on multiple brands of discs? That's a very odd problem, I would like to see a picture if you can get ahold of a digital camera.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
yes, it happens to all brands of discs...i'll try to get a hold of a digicam tonight..

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i was about to go to the apple store and get this problem fixed, but i decided to test it one last time before i go. i burned two more cds through iTunes and both a RiData and Imation CD-R did not come out scratched. These were the same ones that was all scratched up 2 days ago! Should I go get it checked out anyways? Is it a possibility that it might be the program I'm using to burn the discs?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
you try buying a cd/cd-rom lense cleaner and blowing out the dust with air-o-compressed air?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
James Philp said:
FYI - On cheap CD-Rs the data is actually held on a thin layer on the TOP of the Disc. The plastic on the bottom was for protection.
The reason I know this is I had a friend that used cheap CD-Rs and he used to label them with Biro - as soon as he'd written on them they became useless :D
Think he learnt his lesson pretty quick!
Do the CDs work in your PB/CD player/Other computer?

Actually, on ALL CD-ROMs the data is held on the thin reflective layer on the top of the disc.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
how bout the bottom? the bottom used to come out all scratched up too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.