PDA

View Full Version : New logic board... New problems...

gafferbee
May 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
A couple of months ago the logic board on my iBook G3 800 just died - like they apparently do sometimes. Understanding that this is the way of things, I got it repaired under Apple's logic board replacement scheme, nice and easy, at no cost to me.

Great. The only thing is, ever since it came back from logic board hospital strange things have been happening, usually connected to sending it to sleep or waking it up.

It now wakes and sleeps at random moments, quite often refuses to come back to life after being asleep, and once OS X just disappeared completely and the was replaced by a blinking cursor on a black screen - very 1994 MS-DOS, but not great in 2005.

In addition, the processor seems to have slowed up a lot recently (unconnected I think) as I can't seem to play Stick Cricket as smoothly as I used to...

All in all I'm starting to think the poor thing just wants a rest and is trying to convince me to buy a new iMac and put the iBook into semi-retirement.

In the hope of saving me a grand, anyone have any ideas what it going on?

James Philp
May 30, 2005, 04:32 PM
How long is it since the replacement? Less than 30 days and call up support and get them to re-repair it!
I take it permissions etc aren't the problem!

gafferbee
May 30, 2005, 04:34 PM
Well it was Easter when they did it so no 30 days, but it was done by a nice repair outlet who should help me out. I'm just a bit mystified and bored at work so thought i'd ask...

Re permissions, I haven't repaired them for a while but don't see why they'd mess up sleep or single out stick cricket for a slowdown.

James Philp
May 30, 2005, 04:45 PM
Re permissions, I haven't repaired them for a while but don't see why they'd mess up sleep or single out stick cricket for a slowdown.
I can't either, but with any Mac problem, it's always a good first step.
Good luck!