PDA

View Full Version : Help with a screwed up Boot Camp partition please!

NumNumNum
Dec 19, 2011, 11:18 PM
I recently installed an SSD boot drive and put the HDD in my optibay in my 2007 macbook. I've been really struggling b/c I wanted to have my boot camp partition on the ssd (i use only 2 memory intensive programs in windows) and sometimes i run the partition through parallels.

It has been a huge pain to try to get my BC onto the SSD, so I decided to do a clean install of windows 7. This meant i had to reopen my macbook (much tougher than in MBP) to reattach my DVD drive to the MB, partition the SSD with boot camp, and reinstall windows 7 on the SSD. Then I was going to erase my old boot camp partition, reinstall the apps I use, and move the Windows 7 user file to the old hard drive partition

Here's where the problems start. My Windows 7 disk is a volume license so I installed w/out activating until I can get a new key from the university (you have 30 days). I then reattached my old hard drive and disconnected the DVD, and closed up my computer--(this is my third time opening it up and I fear my lucks running out for opening it without breaking anything).

BUT, I forgot that I now have two bootable bootcamp partitions. When I restarted the MB, it booted into my old bootcamp on the old HDD. No prob, i thought, just restart and hold option. Three bootable drives come up: SSD (mac), boot camp, boot camp. But no matter which "bootcamp" I chose it always booted to the old HDD boot camp partition. So then I decided to erase the old HDD partition. Now when I hold option at start up it still (strangely) shows three bootable drives (SSD, boot camp, boot camp), but when I try both of the boot camps it goes to a black screen and says "non -system drive press any key to reboot, but I can only reboot by pressing the power button.

I still have a partition with what looks to be a fine install of windows on it...but it won't boot off of it.

Did I royally screw things up or what? Earlier I was able, after some trial and error, to migrate my OSX stuff to the SSD and keep user data on HDD. I wanted to do the same with windows. BUT i don't even understand if i'm interpreting what I did wrong properly...Even if I only have to boot off the windows DVD its a major pain, since I don't want to open the computer back again.

Any help is appreciated. I've been asking lots of questions with little response on these forums. Probably because they are so long people don't know what to say or perhaps I have bad etiquette. But any help on this one is appreciated.

Thanks.

NumNumNum
Dec 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
I think I fixed it. I formatted the old boot camp partition to os x journaled from fat32 (which i originally used to erase the old boot camp partition). Now it seems to work fine.

Now, if only in can figure out how to transfer my windows user folder to the old HDD from the SSD...

johnhurley
Dec 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
I think I fixed it. I formatted the old boot camp partition to os x journaled from fat32 (which i originally used to erase the old boot camp partition). Now it seems to work fine.

Now, if only in can figure out how to transfer my windows user folder to the old HDD from the SSD...

Maybe this ( easy transfer ) lifehacker how to migrate data (http://lifehacker.com/5820744/how-to-migrate-your-data-from-an-old-computer-to-a-new-one)