Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple and Samsung remain locked in a war involving numerous lawsuits related to alleged patent and design infringement in their tablet and smartphone products, Apple has now brought cases for the devices into the mix. As reported by Bloomberg, Apple disclosed during an Australian court hearing that it has sent a notice of infringement to Samsung over the company's tablet and smartphone cases, and will be pursuing legal action.
Apple Inc., which on Dec. 9 lost a bid to keep Samsung Electronics Co.'s Galaxy 10.1 tablet out of Australia, claims the case for the device and cases for Samsung phones infringe its patents and registered design.

Apple issued the notice of infringement to Samsung in Australia over the cases, and will file a statement of claim, Apple's lawyer Stephen Burley said at a hearing in Sydney today. Samsung's lawyer Katrina Howard said at the same hearing the company was served with the notice that the cases infringe at least 10 patents.
It is unclear exactly what Samsung cases Apple is targeting with its new infringement claims.

galaxy_tab_smart_case.jpg

Samsung did, however, find itself amid controversy earlier this year after accessory company Anymode offered a "Smart Case" for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that closely resembled the iPad 2 Smart Cover. While the product initially appeared to carry Samsung's stamp of approval and came from a company with familial connections to Samsung, a blog post issued by Samsung quickly clarified that the product was not in fact approved by Samsung and was immediately pulled before it had begun selling.

But given that the Smart Case was not directly produced by Samsung, it does not seem that Apple's claims of infringement would relate to that product. Samsung currently offers several styles of cases for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it is not immediately clear which designs Apple might consider to be infringing upon its own case designs.

Update: Samsung has released an official statement on the issue, noting that the term "case" was misinterpreted in early media reports as referring to protective case accessories. In fact, the term was referring to the external design of the devices themselves.
We would like to clarify that the additional claims filed by Apple in Australia do not relate to protective case accessories, as has been indicated in some media reports. In fact, the intellectual property asserted are patents related to the utility of mobile devices and design rights related to the external appearance of devices.

We are confident we can demonstrate that the GALAXY range of devices is innovative and distinctive, and will take all available measures to ensure our products remain available to consumers in Australia.

Article Link: Apple Now Suing Samsung over Tablet and Phone Case Designs [Updated]

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Samsung <3 Apple

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery... the truth is out Samsung is in love with Apple.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
"It is unclear exactly what Samsung cases Apple is targeting with its new infringement claims."

Going on a limb here, but I'm guessing they are the cases depicted in that picture. I'm sure there is some legal method of tying Samsung to those cases.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My, my - another lawsuit between Apple and Samsung.

And so it goes...and goes...and goes...

(Yes, I know IP must be protected, but really...:rolleyes:)

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Sheesh Apple...take a breath, get outside and look around...those courtrooms are full of hot air! give it a break already.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
lol

I would sue too just look at that! Never knew they copied the smart cover. Wow samsung can't you innovate on your own? If all you can do is copy apple then there is no need for you to even exist at the end of the day. And people complain that apple copied the notification center, just wow.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I would sue too just look at that! Never knew they copied the smart cover. Wow samsung can't you innovate on your own? If all you can do is copy apple then there is no need for you to even exist at the end of the day. And people complain that apple copied the notification center, just wow.

I love the Samsung can't innovate topics yet most of Apples products are assembled with products Innovated by Samsung.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011

Did you even read the article? That image and product is in no way associated with Samsung, they are created by a third party.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
It really amuses me the amount of lack of creativity big companies like Samsung suffer…

I would personally feel embarrassed if I was a member of Samsung leading team to approve a cover like this…

Didn't all this story with the patent lawsuits make them feel any need for innovation at all?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

LOL. Unlike iPad's smart cover which is produced/sold by Apple, the cases in the picture were not even produced by Samsung. I also wonder what specific patents Apple has for phone cases? Does it even has any phone cases in a first place or are they just patent trolling as usual?

We should expect that for the next lawsuit Apple will produce iPad-style smart covers for Galaxy Tab and then sue Samsung for them!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Confusing ownership, corporate relationships, and jurisdiction shopping is used to avoid results of lawsuits and even criminal actions. It should not surprise anyone it is a layer in obvious IP infringement. The fact is infringement itself can be proven and with civil litigation all parties either at fault or legally negligent are jointly and severally liable for the entire infringement.

So this tactic has legs.

Steve said it quite simply. Don't copy us. Invent your own stuff and we will let the marketplace sort it out. It turns out that is not the option Apple's largest competitors select. Therefore it is morally and legally correct for Apple to spend under 0.5% of its revenue on legal actions to recover over 2%.

And to clarify in the mind of the public who owns what and what ethical people should themselves buy. Ethics does still matter to some. Shocking in 2011.

Rocketman

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005

I was going to post, "How long until someone sees that picture plus the title and doesn't bother reading the article".

Looks like I was beaten to the punch.

Too bad there will be another 100 people entering this thread saying "OMG, Samusung can't do anything original, look at those case!!!!". :rolleyes:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Way too confusing ...

The third party company (Anymode) that makes the covers is privately held and the CEO is the nephew of the Samsung chairman and CEO. The parent company of Anymode is Youngbo engineering, who's CEO is also the CEO of Samsung himself ...

Basically it's these are all companies spun off and owned by the Samsung family (meant to overcome legalities??)

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Sheesh Apple...take a breath, get outside and look around...those courtrooms are full of hot air! give it a break already.

You wouldn't feel that way if it was your product. As a creative person who makes a living coming up with original ideas, I can't stand Samsung and there ways. :mad:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Confusing ownership, corporate relationships, and jurisdiction shopping is used to avoid results of lawsuits and even criminal actions. It should not surprise anyone it is a layer in obvious IP infringement. The fact is infringement itself can be proven and with civil litigation all parties either at fault or legally negligent are jointly and severally liable for the entire infringement.

So this tactic has legs.

Steve said it quite simply. Don't copy us. Invent your own stuff and we will let the marketplace sort it out. It turns out that is not the option Apple's largest competitors select. Therefore it is morally and legally correct for Apple to spend under 0.5% of its revenue on legal actions to recover over 2%.

And to clarify in the mind of the public who owns what and what ethical people should themselves buy. Ethics does still matter to some. Shocking in 2011.

Rocketman

Then how do you explain the fact that Samsung has order of magnitude more patents than Apple? Not to mention the fact that most Apple patents are junk (two finger gestures, three finger gestures, four finger gestures and icon design)?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is really getting old...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.