Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muktaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Hi guys,

I just bought a cheap audio controller (around 4 dollars)
GearDiary_USB_Audio_Controller_1.jpg

And soon i'll get a pickup for my acoustic guitar,
Will that cheap audio controller works perfectly? Because i don't know, i have seen ppl saying that the audio controller lacks of latency..

And if i have a pickup, connect through garageband, how well it will work? Is it same like electric guitar?

Soz for my broken english :p I hope you guys understand it

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
And if i have a pickup, connect through garageband, how well it will work? Is it same like electric guitar?

You will be able to get sound into the computer. No doubt. It will sound like an acoustic, not an electric guitar. The audio quality might not be bad but you don't expect much for $4.

Latency is determined by the software not the audio interface so you will be fine

Muktaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Yo thanks for the info, so garageband is the right software isn't it?

Muktaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Hi,

I just tested my audio controller using a microphone n earphone through garageband..
I had a problem, i don't know why my audio output( my voice ) sound like a chipmunk or something..
Anyone knows how to solve this?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Hi,

I just tested my audio controller using a microphone n earphone through garageband..
I had a problem, i don't know why my audio output( my voice ) sound like a chipmunk or something..
Anyone knows how to solve this?

You will have to describe your problem is detail. what software and all the settings and what kind of mic and so on.

Also a better description of the problem. Is the pitch wrong or the playback speed? Can you link to the audio file?

Need LOTs more information.

As it is it's like if I asked you "My car is making an odd noise. How do I fix it?

Muktaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
You will have to describe your problem is detail. what software and all the settings and what kind of mic and so on.

Also a better description of the problem. Is the pitch wrong or the playback speed? Can you link to the audio file?

Need LOTs more information.

As it is it's like if I asked you "My car is making an odd noise. How do I fix it?

I was using garageband, and i don't know what kind of my mic is. But you can see, my mic is same like this
stock-photo-895067-small-microphone.jpg

I have tested the mic at my friend's house using an amplifier and a speaker, it worked fine..

i did steps from a tutorial in utube (system pref > Midi> input > select for device) While for output ( output > built-in)..

i also bought a pickups, and installed it on my acoustic guitar.. the same thing happened.. Sound was not real as my guitar, it sounded like a chipmunk or something like that..

Soz for asking, but what do u mean by pitch?

Thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
You can listen to this audio file,

http://www.mediafire.com/?j081yf2ic6yv324

It sounds like you have a sample rate mis-match. The file pays back at twice the speed it should. I don't know how to make that mistake. Make sure sample rates match for record and playback. I did not know this kind of error was possible with Garage Band But sure enough it is playing back twice as fast as it should

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.