PDA

View Full Version : Problem with eclipse

poole
Dec 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Well, I am trying to run eclipse (c#/c++) on my mac os x but when I try to debug something I get an error message.. "Binary not found". Google is the best place to check about solution's I have done everything nothing helps me. I don't know why... I run eclipse on my linux to, ubuntu, suse, and they run just fine. I can't find a fixed for that problem... Even factory reset of my mac I made and isn't helps, updates, patches libraries that I found, but nothing, seems to be a big problem for me and I don't know what to do!!! Please feel free if you don't know what to do prefer me a good compiler for c#/c++ languages, I really loved xcode but only for object-oriented, I really heard a lot of bad things about c# and c++ with xcode and I need your opinion!! Thanks a lot!!!!

subsonix
Dec 20, 2011, 12:20 PM
Please feel free if you don't know what to do prefer me a good compiler for c#/c++ languages, I really loved xcode but only for object-oriented, I really heard a lot of bad things about c# and c++ with xcode and I need your opinion!! Thanks a lot!!!!

Both C# and C++ are object oriented, but that does not really matter in terms of how well Xcode is suited. You can use Xcode for C++ projects without any problems. For compilers, I don't know about C# but for C or C++ you have GCC which is probably what eclipse uses anyway. If you have installed Xcode you will have both GCC/g++ and clang installed already on your system. Eclipse itself is not a compiler, you can use any editor and compile in the terminal with either clang or gcc for C and g++ for C++.

Edit: C# should not be confused with C (I get that impression from your C#/C++ notation), C# is a Microsoft invention that normally requires a VM to run. I don't know about what options there are to compile C# to a Mach-O file on Macs.

poole
Dec 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
Both C# and C++ are object oriented, but that does not really matter in terms of how well Xcode is suited. You can use Xcode for C++ projects without any problems. For compilers, I don't know about C# but for C or C++ you have GCC which is probably what eclipse uses anyway. If you have installed Xcode you will have both GCC/g++ and clang installed already on your system. Eclipse itself is not a compiler, you can use any editor and compile in the terminal with either clang or gcc for C and g++ for C++.

Edit: C# should not be confused with C (I get that impression from your C#/C++ notation), C# is a Microsoft invention that normally requires a VM to run. I don't know about what options there are to compile C# to a Mach-O file on Macs.

I mention object oriented as for mac and iphone develop!! For the edit: that you mention, yes you have right!! C# it's difference from c++ and has to with Microsoft invention... From your reply I get that you prefer to use xcode!! Correct ?? And the truth is I use xcode on my laptop ( mac book ) but I never try to run eclipse, instep of mac mini that I am trying to debug program I don't have xcode but I am pretty sure that I have install g++ and gcc.. anyway!! Thank you for your reply!! And please let me know if xcode is ok with that... ( I will try it anyway!! )

subsonix
Dec 20, 2011, 12:50 PM
I mention object oriented as for mac and iphone develop!! For the edit: that you mention, yes you have right!! C# it's difference from c++ and has to with Microsoft invention... From your reply I get that you prefer to use xcode!! Correct ??

I mostly use Xcode for Cocoa, but I have used it for pure C++ code as well. As I said you can use it for that purpose without problem, if you have and know Xcode already that seems like a sensible approach. Just make sure you pick the right template for your project, i.e command line and C++. Other options is to pick an editor of choice (BBedit, Textwrangler, Text mate, vim, emacs etc.) and compile in the terminal.

moviebiz
Dec 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
Have you built your binary before trying to use the run button in Eclipse? Try pressing Command & B at the same time. Your project will then build. If it builds successfully, then you should be able to use the run button in the toolbar.

Sayer
Dec 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
If you are not using the Helios release of Eclipse on the Mac, that may be the problem. Older versions of Eclipse won't debug properly on Mac OS X (older than 10.7 Lion) and even Helios won't work properly to debug on 10.7 Lion.

Helios should work with 10.5 and 10.6 versions of Mac OS X.