PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Anyone jumping ship to a Galaxy Nexus???

Pages : [1] 2

bigbadneil
Dec 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
Anyone jumping ship to a Galaxy Nexus???. I did and love it. My only winge is the ringer volume but "Volume +" fixed that, so all in all I am very happy with the switch................what about the rest of you??

daveathall
Dec 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
I must admit to being very happy with my 4S. Many congratulations, enjoy your new phone. :D

b24pgg
Dec 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
Nope, but I am getting the Motorola Droid 4 on Thursday because the Droid 4 > iPhone 4S (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1282703) IMHO

ericrwalker
Dec 20, 2011, 12:52 PM
Nope

iOS > Android OS , hardware is irrelevant.

bigbadneil
Dec 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
I must admit to being very happy with my 4S. Many congratulations, enjoy your new phone. :DThanks..........I also got my wife a new 4s and she loves that so I guess its just a personal preferance

matttye
Dec 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
Nah I have a galaxy s2 and it's not enough of an upgrade.

Kyotoma
Dec 20, 2011, 12:54 PM
Anyone jumping ship to a Galaxy Nexus???. I did and love it. My only winge is the ringer volume but "Volume +" fixed that, so all in all I am very happy with the switch................what about the rest of you??

Nope.

Stealthipad
Dec 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
Nope

You must have that "full" feeling from all that iOS iKoolaid:p

Hardware is far from irrelevant from what most of the iPhone fanboys preach!:p

ericrwalker
Dec 20, 2011, 12:57 PM
Yes I am drinking the koolaid though I do have an Android as my work phone and hate the operating system, but I knew this was coming and I posted anyway.

jredecop
Dec 20, 2011, 01:17 PM
Had it for one day and returned it. I missed the nice feel of iOS. Yes it's boring. Just works so well. And honestly the screen seems better on my iPhone than it did on the nexus. The whites were horrible. Glad your enjoying your new phone :) its a good phone. Was a nice change.

cal6n
Dec 20, 2011, 01:18 PM
No

xraydoc
Dec 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'll admit to being impressed by the GN.

Trouble for me is I'm pretty well entrenched into the iOS infrastructure - iOS apps and services (iCloud), easy wireless syncing & backups through iTunes and iCloud and other iOS cloud services. I know most of this functionality can be duplicated on Android, but better integration with my Macs is going to be tough.

Then there's my dependence on an encrypted Exchange server at work which, for now, only has support for iOS's native email app. It can be used on Android through an app called "Good for Enterprise."

While this app also has an iOS version, the using the Exchange account native on the iPhone has certain advantages versus through a separate app. For one, the devices calendars are unified -- the iPhone's calendar app shows both my personal calendar and the Exchange business calendar together. On Android (or iOS) with Good, the business Exchange calendar is only viewable through the Good app itself, forcing me to look at & manage two separate calendars in two separate apps.

Plus, this very important, mission-critical app doesn't even work properly on Android ICS 4.0 according to the support forum posts. That right there is a deal-breaker.

Besides, being able to run Keynote presentations right off my iPhone 4S is pretty darn handy, something that AFAIK can't be done similarly with PowerPoint and an Android phone.

I'd certainly jump on a 4" iPhone 5, however, even at 960x640. Bigger than 4" might be too big, though.

bigbadneil
Dec 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
Nope.Man of many words :(:):(

Steve Jobs.
Dec 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
I have had a Droid 1 for 2 years up until a couple weeks ago when I bought an iPhone 4S. I'm very familiar with android and was waiting for an awesome android phone to come to Verizon for the longest time and when it didn't, I couldn't wait for the GNex anymore so I went ahead and bought the iphone.

Since then, I went in the store and played with the GNex and I must say, it made me happy about my decision.

First of all, it was very very large. Now I have very large hands, but I still found the phone to be wayy too spread out for my thumb to reach the top of the screen flawlessly.

It was a very light phone but also, as a result, felt very very cheap. I know this means that it will probably be more durable than the iphone (plastic vs glass) but just holding the iphone itself makes it seem of a much higher quality all around. I just couldn't shake the feeling of heft and quality vs cheap and flimsy.

The new OS is pretty slick and the phone itself was very fast, but it was still lacking that fluidity of the iphone. I don't know why. I REALLY REALLY wanted to be impressed by the GNex because I'm a huge phone guy and a fan of technology in general as well as Android but I just wasn't feeling it.

bigbadneil
Dec 20, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'll admit to being impressed by the GN.

Trouble for me is I'm pretty well entrenched into the iOS infrastructure - iOS apps and services (iCloud), easy wireless syncing & backups through iTunes and iCloud and other iOS cloud services. I know most of this functionality can be duplicated on Android, but better integration with my Macs is going to be tough.

I thought the same, I dont own a PC and have had iPhone from day one but this puppy is nice, yes its another toy but really it is nice and Google can sync all that I have back and forth to my Mac so this puppy is a keeper for now..........well until iPhone 5 shows up :):):)

xraydoc
Dec 20, 2011, 01:35 PM
so this puppy is a keeper for now..........well until iPhone 5 shows up :):):)

Bingo. Knowing me I'd also want an iPhone 5. So while I lucky enough to have the means to buy a GN if I wanted one to play with (and switch back and forth between the iP4S and GN as necessary), I'd just be spending more money come July... or whenever.

Damn those fun tech toys!!

nfl46
Dec 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hell no.

ZombiePete
Dec 20, 2011, 01:42 PM
I made the opposite jump. 4S > Nexus as far as I am concerned.

WHM
Dec 20, 2011, 01:45 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwww.....NOPE

GregE
Dec 20, 2011, 02:04 PM
Nope. Just got my iPhone 4S and love it. Gonna get my wife one next year or maybe I will wait until a new one is out, get it for her and then switch it to my number. :D

entatlrg
Dec 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
Bought the Nexus on release day to compare to my iPhone 4S.

Used it for 7 days.

Returned it it.

Prefer my 4S by far.

bigbadneil
Dec 20, 2011, 02:44 PM

Used it for 7 days.

Returned it it.

Prefer my 4S by far.What didnt you like about the Nexus?

ecwhite4S
Dec 20, 2011, 03:01 PM
Nah, would rather have an iPhone any day. I have an Android tablet, it's okay, but the operating system is far inferior than Apples. The iPhone experience is much more gratifying that any Android I've had the chance to use.

Plus, I remember reading an article that younger people prefer Android while people of all ages prefer Apple iPhone. Kind of says something.

I think Android is a little generic. You see all these Android phones pop up that look like carbon copies of each other. There is only 1 iPhone.

Rocko1
Dec 20, 2011, 03:02 PM
Horrible battery life. Un-polished smoothness. Pentile screen is bad. I don't care what the specs say, pentiles just look horrible.

jredecop
Dec 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
I agree! Whites are horrible.

Pipper99
Dec 20, 2011, 03:11 PM

Used it for 7 days.

Returned it it.

Prefer my 4S by far.

What's the restocking fee on returning a Nexus?

bigbadneil
Dec 20, 2011, 03:17 PM
Nah, would rather have an iPhone any day. I have an Android tablet, it's okay, but the operating system is far inferior than Apples. The iPhone experience is much more gratifying that any Android I've had the chance to use.

Plus, I remember reading an article that younger people prefer Android while people of all ages prefer Apple iPhone. Kind of says something.

I think Android is a little generic. You see all these Android phones pop up that look like carbon copies of each other. There is only 1 iPhone.But have you tried ICS yet??

----------

Horrible battery life. Un-polished smoothness. Pentile screen is bad. I don't care what the specs say, pentiles just look horrible.And what about the GN then????............ glad to here someone else like me likes the Nexus

----------

I agree! Whites are horrible.Not sure you are allowed to say that!!!

matttye
Dec 20, 2011, 03:24 PM
I completely disagree with anyone who says that android is inferior to ios.

iOS is simplistic and integrates very well with the cloud and iTunes, but when it comes to advanced tasks and customisation, android reigns supreme.

And for everybody who says that iOS is more intuitive; it is in parts, but not always. One area where android is better is when adding recipients to a message. It opens up a list of your contacts with a tick box next to each name so you can add as many as you like quickly. With ios you have to begin typing the names and add them all individually. Android is more intuitive in that regard.

Another example of where android is more intuitive is attaching stuff to email. You can do it from within the email app itself, or you can go into photos/music/etc and attach from there. You can simply tick lots of photos to attach more than one.

Another example of android being more intuitive is common settings like wifi etc in the notification bar, or as widgets on the home screen.

The OSes are different with neither having a clear advantage over the other. I personally prefer android on my smartphone because I like the widgets and stuff.

However I like the iPad for all of the apps.

ecwhite4S
Dec 20, 2011, 03:30 PM
But have you tried ICS yet??

----------

And what about the GN then????............ glad to here someone else like me likes the Nexus

----------

Not sure you are allowed to say that!!!

I have not used Ice Cream Sandwich yet, I've seen some videos and it looks greatly enhanced compared to previous versions of Android, they did a good job. I just feel like Android isn't very intuitive. iPhones can be turned on and learned in a second, with Android there is all these extras, and widgets, etc. It's fun to use, but not as practical as the iPhone...

And again, I hate how all these phones out now are all Android. Like every other smartphone. You can barely tell the difference between them. Not saying that Apple is the best, but I would 100% rather have an iPhone than an Android. I do love my Android tablet however. But for my phone? iPhone all the way.

But, when it all comes down to it. Arguing over Apple vs Android is pointless. It all comes down to what you prefer and what works for you.

Rocko1
Dec 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=bigbadneil;14038203]But have you tried ICS yet??

----------

And what about the GN then????............ [COLOR="#808080"]
That is the nexus. :rolleyes:

cambookpro
Dec 20, 2011, 05:10 PM
I tried one out at my 3 Store, but I just didn't like it. I mean, it's a great phone, but after four and a half years of iOS, Android just doesn't appeal to me.
Also the GN felt like a mammoth; I think I found it just too big. I'd kill for a 4"-4.1" screen on the iPhone, but whatever the GN's was was just *too* big.

gniss39
Dec 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
I had an OG Droid before jumping to the 4S on release day and have enjoyed iOS so far. Very fluid, smooth and no lag and I really love the iTunes integration.

However the GN is tempting especially wince it will have developer support an I loved tweaking and flashing ROMs on my OG all the time as I get bored easily. My roommate is getting it so I will play with his when I can before considering selling the iPhone and buying a GN.

mysterioustko
Dec 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
Horrible battery life. Un-polished smoothness. Pentile screen is bad. I don't care what the specs say, pentiles just look horrible.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Do you even understand why pentile was a concern in the past?

cmc5dc
Dec 20, 2011, 06:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not @ $299

tegedrex
Dec 20, 2011, 07:16 PM
Picked up the GNex on release day and was initially worried about the learning curve, but ICS is very intuitive. I still have a 4S until I find a buyer for it and occasionally go to it as a reference for what apps to get for the GNex through the marketplace, and I must say that the screen doesn't do nearly as much for me as it use to after handling the GNex. I have fairly large hands and can do most tasks with one hand. I think what the big selling point is all the little extras built into the OS, just tonight I came across the option to answer, or decline the call or a set of prebuilt texts to choose from or if you like you can write your own to use for later in the event you can't answer a call. Just the little things like this that put a smile on my face.

Eager Beaver
Dec 20, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm with att and at the end of sept I was going to try a sgs2 for 30 days to to check it out. I ended up NOT doing it cause I was terrified I would never be able to look at the tiny iphone screen again, (I would've been right) -

Neverbepeace
Dec 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
Picked up the GNex on release day and was initially worried about the learning curve, but ICS is very intuitive. I still have a 4S until I find a buyer for it and occasionally go to it as a reference for what apps to get for the GNex through the marketplace, and I must say that the screen doesn't do nearly as much for me as it use to after handling the GNex. I have fairly large hands and can do most tasks with one hand. I think what the big selling point is all the little extras built into the OS, just tonight I came across the option to answer, or decline the call or a set of prebuilt texts to choose from or if you like you can write your own to use for later in the event you can't answer a call. Just the little things like this that put a smile on my face.

:cool: Love that feature.....while I think I will bypass the GN, I will pick up the GS II since it will get ICS in the coming weeks

bruleke
Dec 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
HONESTLY, there's just ONE reason that would feel bad by trading my iP4S for an Android phone: I spent about 100 dollars in apps such as GPS, dictionaries, law apps and other 0.99 apps.

I am glad I'm loving my iP4S (my first iPhone ever - came from a Nokia 6303) because I dont have 100 dollars to throw in the toilet.

aneftp
Dec 20, 2011, 07:42 PM
I own the Galaxy nexus with Verizon and iPhone 4s with AT&T.

Being a phone junkie, I love all new shiny phones. Have owned original G1 and iPhone 2007.

In my opinion iOS 5 and Android 4.0 both steal from each other. And that's a good thing.

Ice Cream Sandwich is a major update. Like jumping from iPhone 3.0 to IOS5. It's really nice after u spend a day or two getting used to it.

As for the Galaxy nexus itself. As other posters have said, it's a nexus. Which means another nexus won't be released for another year unlike other android devices. And you are essentially guaranteed to have the latest software updates first.

There are some issues with the Verizon Nexus. Reception quality issues have been addressed by Verizon and hopefully fixed soon. Samsung hasnt been known to make a good antenna for cdma phones the hspa galaxy nexus forsnt have the same RF issue LTE is a huge battery drain. Pentile screen doesn't bother me. I had the original galaxy s and Atrix and those phones have pentile screen.

It's still a gorgeous screen. High resolution. 4.65 inch screen is not for everyone. Really only 4.3 inch usable since ice cream uses 3 on screen buttons.

New phones will be announced next month at CES. But I would never consider a non nexus Android phone again. Only go nexus of u want an Android. Or else you are at the mercy of carriers/manufacturers.

Neverbepeace
Dec 20, 2011, 08:01 PM

Being a phone junkie, I love all new shiny phones. Have owned original G1 and iPhone 2007.

In my opinion iOS 5 and Android 4.0 both steal from each other. And that's a good thing.

Ice Cream Sandwich is a major update. Like jumping from iPhone 3.0 to IOS5. It's really nice after u spend a day or two getting used to it.

As for the Galaxy nexus itself. As other posters have said, it's a nexus. Which means another nexus won't be released for another year unlike other android devices. And you are essentially guaranteed to have the latest software updates first.

There are some issues with the Verizon Nexus. Reception quality issues have been addressed by Verizon and hopefully fixed soon. Samsung hasnt been known to make a good antenna for cdma phones the hspa galaxy nexus forsnt have the same RF issue LTE is a huge battery drain. Pentile screen doesn't bother me. I had the original galaxy s and Atrix and those phones have pentile screen.

It's still a gorgeous screen. High resolution. 4.65 inch screen is not for everyone. Really only 4.3 inch usable since ice cream uses 3 on screen buttons.

New phones will be announced next month at CES. But I would never consider a non nexus Android phone again. Only go nexus of u want an Android. Or else you are at the mercy of carriers/manufacturers.

The downside to the GN is the price tag. I could get one 20 minutes from me for $725. Or, I can get the GS II for $380 brand new and call it a day. The extra $350 is not worth it since the GS II is getting ICS anyway. Spec wise between the 2 are negligible. The ONLY advantage is the HD screen and even then I see no difference (My opinion) or not enough difference to warrant me spending the extra $350.

The beauty of android is you don't have to sit around waiting for updates when you can install roms (At least from what I've been reading)

Ayemerica
Dec 20, 2011, 08:55 PM
The GN is a great phone, but like all android phones it's a copy of a copy. Until google starts doing end to end os support I don't see my self going back. I loved my nexus s, until i bought the ip4.

Eager Beaver
Dec 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
HONESTLY, there's just ONE reason that would feel bad by trading my iP4S for an Android phone: I spent about 100 dollars in apps such as GPS, dictionaries, law apps and other 0.99 apps.

I am glad I'm loving my iP4S (my first iPhone ever - came from a Nokia 6303) because I dont have 100 dollars to throw in the toilet.

Contradiction here as you threw 100 in the toliet with your first remark :rolleyes:

ste1164
Dec 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
I have a sgs2 as well as my 4S so I wouldnt need to get a gnex as well. Id love to mind :P

bruleke
Dec 20, 2011, 09:31 PM
Contradiction here as you threw 100 in the toliet with your first remark :rolleyes:

Sorry?
I spent 100 dollars in GOOD apps.
Throw money in the toilet = buy an Android and dont have my apps since they are for iOS.
Got it? :cool:

phpmaven
Dec 20, 2011, 09:32 PM
I tried one out at my 3 Store, but I just didn't like it. I mean, it's a great phone, but after four and a half years of iOS, Android just doesn't appeal to me.
Also the GN felt like a mammoth; I think I found it just too big. I'd kill for a 4"-4.1" screen on the iPhone, but whatever the GN's was was just *too* big.

When I first got my Galaxy SII I thought it was HUGE, then after a week or so I got used to that big, beautiful, bright, screen (I have no idea what people who complain about the "whites" are talking about) I grabbed a buddies iPhone 4S to help him with something and it felt like I was a giant holding a phone from a shrunken planet. It also looked washed out to me. Sure Android's got some quirks that bug me, but overall, I'm diggin' it.

By the way, I have a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPad 2 and I'm a huge Apple fan. having said that, so far iCloud has been a train wreck. So much so that I've given up on my me.com email for the time being because it's so flaky.

thelookingglass
Dec 20, 2011, 09:45 PM
By the way, I have a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPad 2 and I'm a huge Apple fan. having said that, so far iCloud has been a train wreck. So much so that I've given up on my me.com email for the time being because it's so flaky.

iCloud has been fine for me. So much so that I wouldnt want to switch to the GN. Certainly looks like a great phone and I admit to a little gadget lust. But the thought of losing iCloud integration among all my devices and having to find and purchase new apps for Android ... yeah, nahhhh.

Eager Beaver
Dec 20, 2011, 09:51 PM
Sorry?
I spent 100 dollars in GOOD apps.
Throw money in the toilet = buy an Android and dont have my apps since they are for iOS.
Got it? :cool:

No, I don't got it?
Which apps did you buy that costed $100 bucks?
How about a list?

Shadyriley
Dec 20, 2011, 09:58 PM
Enjoy holding into your plastic feeling phone I'll stick with my industrial feeling iPhone 4s

thelookingglass
Dec 20, 2011, 10:07 PM
No, I don't got it?
Which apps did you buy that costed $100 bucks?
How about a list?

Is this that hard to believe? I've easily spent over $100 on apps in the past few years. There are some very good quality apps out there and I'm more than happy to support that level of development work with my hard earned cash.

bruleke
Dec 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
Is this that hard to believe? I've easily spent over $100 on apps in the past few years. There are some very good quality apps out there and I'm more than happy to support that level of development work with my hard earned cash.

Ok, I think you didnt understand (doesnt matter the reason or who's guilty).
I'll explain again:

Imagine that I've spent 2,000 dollars in apps for my iphone 4S. Thats incredible, right? :eek::eek:
But imagine you that I've lost my iPhone! :(
So I have to buy another phone. And here is the point: I WOULD NOT buy an Android for 2 reasons:

#1. I actually love my iPhone 4S and the iOS;
#2. I couldn't spend another 2,000 dollars in the SAME apps - but now for Android system.

Got it? ;)

Eager Beaver
Dec 20, 2011, 10:33 PM

Listen man, I don't know if you read thru these posts thoroughly, or just glance thru them, but this cat says this is his 1st EVER. (that's means he's only had it for 2 months ;) )

So I was curious how a guy spends 100 for apps in ONLY 2 months -
(here's his post if you missed it)

Benguitar
Dec 20, 2011, 10:41 PM
Nope

I completely agree.

While I have not changed (nor do I plan on changing) to a Galaxy Nexus, I have used iOS since the original iPhone, iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4. I then switched to an Android device on Sprint (shortly before the iPhone was supported by Sprint) and I must say that, While iOS will lack certain features by default (features that can be added via jailbreaking) the user-interface is by far better than Android's *in my honest opinion*

To me, Android's are problematic and disrupting to my workflow.

I look forward to switching back to iOS when my contract with my current device expires. Until then, I'll make-do with what I have.

Peterg2
Dec 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
My girlfriend came off contract with her carrier in Canada and was looking to move up to a smart phone. Without going into a long story she ended up going with an HTC Amaze, to an extent due to carrier choices. The iphone 4S was looked at as well as the Galaxy Nexus. iPhone 4S, due to carriers and fragility was not chosen and of course the Nexus was looked at.

The Nexus was rejected due to a general cheap feel to it, especially that appalling, almost peel-back, rear. The screen is generally very nice, despite some nay-sayers, but the screen is also very fragile. There are plenty of reviews on XDA-developers about the seemingly lack of scratch resistance and drop resistance of the screen. Hell, one actual professional reviewer dropped his Nexus from a height less than 1 foot onto a countertop and his screen cracked.

Some may like lightness (and she is a small person and the Amaze is heavy) but I have always despised the cheap, non-quality, feel of Samsungs. However, the screen of this Nexus is very sub-par in terms of durability - less so than the S2) and that was enough. Take away ICS (various Samsung, HTCs etc are getting ICS in Q1) and it really is just another high-end Android phone.

thelookingglass
Dec 21, 2011, 12:00 AM
Listen man, I don't know if you read thru these posts thoroughly, or just glance thru them, but this cat says this is his 1st EVER. (that's means he's only had it for 2 months ;) )

(here's his post if you missed it)

Splitting hairs. Spending $100 in 2 months is not difficult. Docs to Go and LogMeInIgnition already put you at $45 or so. Add in a few games for $5-10, some note-taking apps, random app or two like iMovie or Garageband, a navigation app and you're already over $100.

DK1ng
Dec 21, 2011, 12:49 AM
idk why people are arguing about who spends money on what for their own needs/wants...its their own money. let them do what they want with it lol

marksman
Dec 21, 2011, 02:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope

Plus with the 4s you will be able to use iOS 6.0 and iOS 7.0.

With any android handset now you have a 65% chance of never seeing an authorized upgrade. Besides the inferior os the upgrade path is insane. Some devices won't see ICS until six months after it is released. I don't want to play in that world. I have a iPhone, a 3G and a 4. They are all still in use and the older ones got multiple os upgrades on time making them much more useful over time.

When google starts feeding motorola new updates right away the other manufacturers will jump ship. Apples integration is a massive advantage as they can get upgrades out much faster than google and their partners

marksman
Dec 21, 2011, 02:32 AM

The downside to the GN is the price tag. I could get one 20 minutes from me for $725. Or, I can get the GS II for $380 brand new and call it a day. The extra $350 is not worth it since the GS II is getting ICS anyway. Spec wise between the 2 are negligible. The ONLY advantage is the HD screen and even then I see no difference (My opinion) or not enough difference to warrant me spending the extra $350.

The beauty of android is you don't have to sit around waiting for updates when you can install roms (At least from what I've been reading)

Like on iPhones when everyone can get the updates when they come out? Android and the hardware manufacturers need a better plan for os updates

mysterioustko
Dec 21, 2011, 03:34 AM

With any android handset now you have a 65% chance of never seeing an authorized upgrade. Besides the inferior os the upgrade path is insane. Some devices won't see ICS until six months after it is released. I don't want to play in that world. I have a iPhone, a 3G and a 4. They are all still in use and the older ones got multiple os upgrades on time making them much more useful over time.

When google starts feeding motorola new updates right away the other manufacturers will jump ship. Apples integration is a massive advantage as they can get upgrades out much faster than google and their partners

What does anyone of that have to do with the Galaxy Nexus?:confused:

Calidude
Dec 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
I'm the guy who posted a thread about iOS needing a redesign.

However, I wouldn't get the Galaxy Nexus over the 4S. Here's why:

1) Battery life is not as good. Period.
2) Camera isn't as good (although I have to say the camera software is way better)
3) Plastic body? For 299? What a ripoff.
4) Too many people complaining about the Pentile screen, not just here but XDA forums.
5) Quirks with the OS. Force closes still abound. iOS is way more stable. Google likes to ship unfinished software as soon as possible. Remember they're about advertising, not computing. They want that software datamining you ASAP.

The only advantages Android has are customization and open-source software, but this is about the whole package, folks.

cambookpro
Dec 21, 2011, 04:43 AM
When I first got my Galaxy SII I thought it was HUGE, then after a week or so I got used to that big, beautiful, bright, screen (I have no idea what people who complain about the "whites" are talking about) I grabbed a buddies iPhone 4S to help him with something and it felt like I was a giant holding a phone from a shrunken planet. It also looked washed out to me. Sure Android's got some quirks that bug me, but overall, I'm diggin' it.

Maybe I'd have to try it a bit more. I have to say, a larger screen does appeal to me, but maybe not GN large!

I agree on the iCloud thing too - I love Apple, but iCloud was duplicating my calendars, only syncing to two out of three devices...

Bonnyluckydog
Dec 21, 2011, 05:11 AM
I'm the guy who posted a thread about iOS needing a redesign.

However, I wouldn't get the Galaxy Nexus over the 4S. Here's why:

1) Battery life is not as good. Period.
2) Camera isn't as good (although I have to say the camera software is way better)
3) Plastic body? For 299? What a ripoff.
4) Too many people complaining about the Pentile screen, not just here but XDA forums.
5) Quirks with the OS. Force closes still abound. iOS is way more stable. Google likes to ship unfinished software as soon as possible. Remember they're about advertising, not computing. They want that software datamining you ASAP.

The only advantages Android has are customization and open-source software, but this is about the whole package, folks.

I take it with a grain of salt. Google's Galaxy Nexus is so much better than iPhone 4s. Here's Why...

1) Android has the ability to customize your user-experience.
2) Apple's iPhone is ridiculously expensive.
3) Android let's you choose your hardware and install custom roms.
4) Angry Birds is free.

I rest my case.

bruleke
Dec 21, 2011, 06:10 AM

iGO Gps: 39.99
Offline Dictionary: 29.99
Law app: 9.99
Bank app: 5.99
5 0.99 apps: ~5.00

Total: ~91 dollars in ONE day.
:)

maflynn
Dec 21, 2011, 06:14 AM
I'm happy with my iPhone, maybe in the future I'll return to the android platform. I was using a Nexus One and then a Droid x before coming back to the fold.

The issues I have for android is that with apple, if you're enmeshed in their ecosystem its extremely easy to manage your phone, apps, music, video. Being enmeshed and getting android equivalents is a little more difficult.

The biggest issue for me was syncing my music, I never really found an app that worked as seamlessly, I tried a number of apps and they never did it as easy as iTunes. I was SOL on any video I bought on iTMS as well, thanks to DRM.

Syncing my pictures was doable but not as seamless as iTunes

Calidude
Dec 21, 2011, 06:32 AM
I take it with a grain of salt. Google's Galaxy Nexus is so much better than iPhone 4s. Here's Why...

4) Angry Birds is free.

I rest my case.
1) I daresay Android 4.0 is making Android more iPhoneish by making the UI quite unified.
2) $299 for the Galaxy Nexus. Math plz.
3) Can't argue with that, but most of the hardware for Android sucks.
4) Buy a 300 dollar phone on contract and can't buy Angry Birds? Sad.

takeshi74
Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 AM
what about the rest of you??
Nope. Why would I be here if I jumped to the Nexus?

Subjective.

Again, subjective. These typical and mindlessly parroted arguments from both sides are propagated by fanboys in both camps. For some, the hardware specs matter most. For others, they don't. It's not one-size-fits-all despite the tunnel vision of fanboys in both camps. Whether a given fanboy gets it or not, different people can have different reasons for preferring (or disliking) a given option. The real world isn't made up of only simple black and white dichotomies.

Pick what works for you and suits you best.

So I was curious how a guy spends 100 for apps in ONLY 2 months
How is this germane to the discussion? Buy TomTom and Navigon as I did (though I didn't at full price) and you'd easily be approaching $100. If you're truly curious them PM the person or start your own thread. It's a completely irrelevant matter. Some people spend more than $100, some less.

4) Angry Birds is free.
These are just opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt as well. Your list is based on your preferences. What you prefer is not what everyone else prefers. Try paying attention out in the real world a bit and you'll notice that people make decisions differing from yours all the time because their preferences differ. Have you not noticed this?

I rest my case.
The only thing you've proven is that you got the device that suits you best. While that's great it doesn't prove anything beyond that despite what you apparently believe. Learn the difference between fact and opinion posted as fact before you call the kettle black. The items you stated are certainly facts but their importance is a matter of opinion. If you truly have difficulty determining what is or isn't subjective a good rule of thumb is that words such as better, worse, expensive, cheap, useful, useless, intuitive, etc are all subjective.

kasei
Dec 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
Only for testing, but for everyday use. No!

NewYork88
Dec 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
Just tried a Galaxy Nexus for the 2nd time........ Battery much better on second device , reception could be better.Honestly I think most critical reviews especially by users are too harsh.While it's not as heavy as a Ip4 it is not cheap or poorly built.Its also not huge like it seems,I don't have large hands either.I love the size,it's more comfortable in My pocket than the heavier Ip4. The screen is sweet and the UI is smooth and fast.It would be a keeper with slightly better reception if Apple's iOS wasn't so easy to use.Call me lazy but the Ip4/4s is so easy to do any task that even though I long for a larger screen and some minor customization I find Myself coming back every time. Besides that the 4s reception beats any phone I've had including numerous Moto's and contrary to complaints all our Ip4/4s' (7 between 2 Plans) get insane battery life. The Nexus is a Bad-A$$ phone,don't let the haters fool You...... But smallish screen or not I love the iPhone and I'm not a Apple Fan Boy,nobody in My Family owned a Apple product until a year and a half ago.

Rocko1
Dec 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
If Leo Laporte The Tech Guy doesn't like it, I don't like it.

macinnv
Dec 21, 2011, 04:25 PM
I bought a GSM model 5 days ago and so far loving it. Big jump from previous android software. Battery life is pretty good so far. Very little to complain about.

fertilized-egg
Dec 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm making the effort of trying out Galaxy Nexus every time I go to a mall and still am a bit disappointed, much of it because my expectation was so high after reading the initial reviews. The stability seems iffy and the smoothness still aren't there despite having a 1.2ghz A9 dual core. My wife's iPhone 4S absolutely comes out on top by far in that aspect.

As an Android user, (the first Galaxy S) The short impression I get is that it's still...Android with mostly the same cons. Yes the Scifi-ish UI is very different but other than the vastly improved font and smoother scrolling, I just don't feel too hot about the UI.

If anything ICS is making me wanting to jump to an iPhone more, and here in Canada the Galaxy Nexus costs about the same as an iPhone 4S. I'll probably try to hold out until next year's iPhone with my Android and iPod Touch.

Neverbepeace
Dec 21, 2011, 04:35 PM
Just tried a Galaxy Nexus for the 2nd time........ Battery much better on second device , reception could be better.Honestly I think most critical reviews especially by users are too harsh.While it's not as heavy as a Ip4 it is not cheap or poorly built.Its also not huge like it seems,I don't have large hands either.I love the size,it's more comfortable in My pocket than the heavier Ip4. The screen is sweet and the UI is smooth and fast.It would be a keeper with slightly better reception if Apple's iOS wasn't so easy to use.Call me lazy but the Ip4/4s is so easy to do any task that even though I long for a larger screen and some minor customization I find Myself coming back every time. Besides that the 4s reception beats any phone I've had including numerous Moto's and contrary to complaints all our Ip4/4s' (7 between 2 Plans) get insane battery life. The Nexus is a Bad-A$$ phone,don't let the haters fool You...... But smallish screen or not I love the iPhone and I'm not a Apple Fan Boy,nobody in My Family owned a Apple product until a year and a half ago.

Hmmmmm nice mini review. I had the galaxy s 2 for a few days and went back to the 4s. No matter what phone comes out that beats the iPhone, I still find my ars going back. It's funny because I was on my way to selling the 4S tonight and picking up a GN tomorrow. Once I read your mini review, I came to the realization that I should hold off because all I'm doing is setting my self up for more work and doing everything all over again.

NewYork88
Dec 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hmmmmm nice mini review. I had the galaxy s 2 for a few days and went back to the 4s. No matter what phone comes out that beats the iPhone, I still find my ars going back. It's funny because I was on my way to selling the 4S tonight and picking up a GN tomorrow. Once I read your mini review, I came to the realization that I should hold off because all I'm doing is setting my self up for more work and doing everything all over again.

Thanks:cool: Glad I could help! It's crazy,I really like the Phone but as much as it's always said the iPhone just works,it true.

BlizzardBolt
Dec 21, 2011, 10:05 PM
Will be considering droid incredible or Nexus S

Eliminated samsung focus since WP7 was attractive but like iOS, it is too simple and direct. Android ICS is the way to go.

RyanG
Dec 22, 2011, 10:04 AM

Eliminated samsung focus since WP7 was attractive but like iOS, it is too simple and direct. Android ICS is the way to go.

Huh? Nexus S has had issues with ICS so far and the Incredible will never see it. If ICS is the way to go, you would want the Galaxy Nexus...

ViperDesign
Dec 22, 2011, 10:25 AM

I did but I am Verizon returning the phone. It just isn't ready for prime time.

Battery issues signal issues and there is a bug in ics that keeps the phone going non stop which then affects battery life.

Maybe in a month or two it will be ready.

thelookingglass
Dec 22, 2011, 10:48 AM
Took a long hard look at the Galaxy Nexus and Note today before settling on the 4S. Just too tied into the Apple ecosystem now. Don't want to re-buy the same apps for a different platform. I use iCloud for email, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, photostream, etc. and it syncs across all my iDevices and Macs. Don't want to figure out how to sync all of that to an Android device. My entire family and most of my friends are constantly on iMessage. Got iTunes Match and love its simplicity and ease of use.

Apple's completely got me by the balls ...

Rocko1
Dec 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
Without the bashing, anyone interested in the Nexus should watch this. Leo is the most mild mannered tech guy out there with a hugely syndicated radio show every weekend. It's as non-bias as you can get.

http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/1

Skip to the 18:00 mark for the review.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 22, 2011, 10:59 AM

Nope. I am quite pleased with my 4S, just as I was with the 3GS and the original. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your Galaxy phone.

I always say, get whichever phone you like best and don't worry about the rest.

eNcrypTioN
Dec 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope, couldn't be happier with my iPhone.

kalex
Dec 22, 2011, 11:21 AM
Took a long hard look at the Galaxy Nexus and Note today before settling on the 4S. Just too tied into the Apple ecosystem now. Don't want to re-buy the same apps for a different plan. Use iCloud for email, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, photostream, etc. and it syncs across all my iDevices and Macs. Don't want to figure out how to sync all of that to an Android device. My entire family and most of my friends are constantly on iMessage. Got iTunes Match and love its simplicity and ease of use.

Apple's completely got me by the balls ...

u are stuck forever :)

sentinelsx
Dec 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
Tried a galaxy Nexus for 3 days, returned it. Sorry, ICS still wasn't able to yank me off iOS. Went back to my iPhone 4.

Neverbepeace
Dec 22, 2011, 11:47 AM
Without the bashing, anyone interested in the Nexus should watch this. Leo is the most mild mannered tech guy out there with a hugely syndicated radio show every weekend. It's as non-bias as you can get.

http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/1

Skip to the 18:00 mark for the review.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/nickjonasgifs/JONAS/facepalm.gif

Peterg2
Dec 22, 2011, 12:18 PM
If Leo Laporte The Tech Guy doesn't like it, I don't like it.

I have no axe to grind either way and he seems to have a nice personality and all that, but I hate generally video reviews which tend to be extremely superficial and take up *so much time*. His review falls in that category.

I far prefer to read something in detail - much more detail like this, for example, http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue and do it in less time.

Rocko1
Dec 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have no axe to grind either way and he seems to have a nice personality and all that, but I hate generally video reviews which tend to be extremely superficial and take up *so much time*. His review falls in that category.

I far prefer to read something in detail - much more detail like this, for example, http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue and do it in less time.

I agree. He just started the video review podcast and I only listen to the podcast. He has talked about the phone many times on his shows-sat and Sunday on most AM radio stations in major cities. He is the 'every man' tech guy. He doesn't go into deep technical aspects unless he needs to.

Many of the written reviews don't touch on the actual functionality of the phone as it seems they don't actually use it for long if at all. They seem to focus on specs, as you don't need much time or experience to do this. A knowledgeable articulate person + real time spent with a product = a good solid review IMO.

FYDave
Dec 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm giving some serious consideration to trying one out. I love new tech toys.

navindralr
Dec 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
I just picked up a Galaxy Nexus unlocked... it cost a pretty penny, but I wanted something different, and I've had every iPhone since it was introduced. I'm still keeping my 4S, but since I'm studying medicine in England next year, I wanted an unlocked phone also, and my 4S is locked to AT&T. I'm supposed to receive my phone tomorrow, and I'm actually very excited. They're a lot of things I love about the iPhone, but honestly I get bored very easily, and after having iPhones for so long, I have a feeling I might like the Nexus more.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up switching between phones every now and then just to "change it up." I am a phone whore btw

abijnk
Dec 22, 2011, 02:21 PM

I don't think you understand how this works...

Google is not responsible for the upgrade cycle of the phones. They put the software out there for everyone, and it is up to manufacturers to push it out the door to their handsets. Carriers are also in there mix.

In addition, the subject of this thread is a Nexus phone, which means it is vanilla Android. It will be updated immediately upon Google releasing software updates. That's one of the biggest points of buying a Nexus line phone.

nburwell
Dec 22, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have no inclination to try out the Galaxy Nexus. My 4 suits me perfectly.

NewYork88
Dec 22, 2011, 05:53 PM

The Incredible is complete garbage,had one for 2 long months. Junk battery life and signal.

ap3604
Dec 22, 2011, 05:55 PM
Love the screen size and battery life on my iPhone 4S... so I'm sticking with it :)

vikingjunior
Dec 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
As a Android fan boy I still find a certain jerkyness in Nexus ICS that is not in the iphone, but I still love Android OS better.

Rocko1
Dec 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
I don't think you understand how this works...

Google is not responsible for the upgrade cycle of the phones. They put the software out there for everyone, and it is up to manufacturers to push it out the door to their handsets. Carriers are also in there mix.

In addition, the subject of this thread is a Nexus phone, which means it is vanilla Android. It will be updated immediately upon Google releasing software updates. That's one of the biggest points of buying a Nexus line phone.

This is partially true. Gingerbread has many bugs that were never fixed by Google. Carriers can't update what they don't have. It's true, the skinning of any android OS brings many bugs and glitches that need to be addressed by the manufacturer then approved by the carrier. It's a horrible system and makes perfecting phones very difficult.

----------

As a Android fan boy I still find a certain jerkyness in Nexus ICS that is not in the iphone, but I still love Android OS better.

Yes it's there. Not as smooth. Kind of like the right swipe from home on IOS. It stutters a bit going to the spotlight search.

lordofthereef
Dec 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
ICS is actually fantastic. I would love to give the new Nexus a run for its money. Sadly the states haven't received a GSM version and I am unwilling to drop $850 (import) on a phone just based on principle.

My buddy has one on Verizon and the phone truly is fantastic. IMO ICS is the first Android OS to truly have a shot at giving iOS a run for its money.

Rocko1
Dec 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
ICS is actually fantastic. I would love to give the new Nexus a run for its money. Sadly the states haven't received a GSM version and I am unwilling to drop $850 (import) on a phone just based on principle.

My buddy has one on Verizon and the phone truly is fantastic. IMO ICS is the first Android OS to truly have a shot at giving iOS a run for its money.

The lack of consistent home, back, search buttons on the Nexus is horrible.

TM WAZZA
Dec 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
I would wait for the SGS3

RGB set up 720p
Quad core

lordofthereef
Dec 22, 2011, 06:20 PM

Are they not always on the bottom left? Like I said, I have not had a chance to play with it much... I can say that I have CM7 (gingerbread) running on my HP touchpad, and the buttons are always there (when you need them). Of course, that certainly is no indication of how they are implemented in vanilla ICS as the CM7 implementation was added, by a third part, to an older flavor of Android.

----------

RGB set up 720p
Quad core

if you are always waiting, you will never have anything.

Rocko1
Dec 22, 2011, 06:24 PM

RGB set up 720p
Quad core

If it's pentile I will pass. Horrible.

Yumunum
Dec 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Bad camera, bad battery life, lag is still there, stock Android is still missing necessary features...

I might just wait for the GS3 and buy the international version right when it comes out. It's pathetic how long it takes for these phones to get to the US. When they do, they're already outdated. And the current crop of smartphones don't satisfy. I know people will tell me I can't just wait forever, but I don't think that's what I'm doing here. With the current selection of phones it just puts me in an awkward spot.

lordofthereef
Dec 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
stock Android is still missing necessary features...

Like what?

nraudigy2
Dec 22, 2011, 06:57 PM
ICS to me is just a themed version of Gingerbread. Android Market is still too unstable for me. Apps crashing left and right. I still can't find an alarm app in Android that is trust worthy.

MatthewStorm
Dec 22, 2011, 07:01 PM

You really made me laugh as you're completely clueless about which you speak. Which devices won't see ICS for six months? What is basis for the %65 number you mention? Sources? Seriously dude, get some facts before sitting at the adult table.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.641161,-73.964084

MatthewStorm
Dec 22, 2011, 07:05 PM
ICS to me is just a themed version of Gingerbread. Android Market is still too unstable for me. Apps crashing left and right. I still can't find an alarm app in Android that is trust worthy.

Obviously you never used either. In what way is Android Market unstable? Which Apps are crashing on you? Works fine for me and millions of other folks. What's wrong with the built in Clock App for alarms? Wakes me up every day. Maybe you should move from generalities to a specific complaint with some merit.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.641192,-73.964144

Roessnakhan
Dec 22, 2011, 07:05 PM

What's wrong with the native alarm clock? I've never had an issue with it.

lordofthereef
Dec 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Obviously you never used either. In what way is Android Market unstable? Which Apps are crashing on you? Works fine for me and millions of other folks. What's wrong with the built in Clock App for alarms? Wakes me up every day. Maybe you should move from generalities to a specific complaint with some merit.

More importantly, there are apps that crash on iPhone all the time. My eBay app crashes 2/3 of the time when deleting multiple messages at once. How does that have anything to do with the market it's on?

lordofthereef
Dec 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
You really made me laugh as you're completely clueless about which you speak. Which devices won't see ICS for six months? What is basis for the %65 number you mention? Sources? Seriously dude, get some facts before sitting at the adult table.

There is one thing that is GREAT about Android which is also equally terrible (in terms of its reputation); it is available on basically any spec of device the manufacturer wants to use it on. To further the issue, even older versions of android are still available. If I were so inclined, I could produce a phone with eclair, or even earlier (not that it would sell well, but I am just saying). So what this does is has people complaining when they buy a device with outdated hardware, with an already outdated version of Android. They are upset that they aren't getting updates. We are not comparing Apples to Apples here. It is a fallacy to compare iOS to Android in terms of updates. We need to be comparing the Nexus line to the iPhone line in terms of updates. That is a much more fair and, when you look at it, equal comparison.

nraudigy2
Dec 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
Here is another reason why Android will never be as smooth or responsive as iOS.
https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/2FXDCz8x93s

Yumunum
Dec 22, 2011, 07:50 PM
Like what?

Stock Android doesn't even have a timer or stopwatch. Isn't that kinda crazy?

nraudigy2
Dec 22, 2011, 08:00 PM

A built-in dictionary, emotions and no reminder app? Google Nexus One came out last year and won't get official ICS.

vikingjunior
Dec 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
This is partially true. Gingerbread has many bugs that were never fixed by Google. Carriers can't update what they don't have. It's true, the skinning of any android OS brings many bugs and glitches that need to be addressed by the manufacturer then approved by the carrier. It's a horrible system and makes perfecting phones very difficult.

----------

Yes it's there. Not as smooth. Kind of like the right swipe from home on IOS. It stutters a bit going to the spotlight search.

What I find smoother then any is that there Windows Phone. That is one smooth OS.

Peterg2
Dec 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
What I find smoother then any is that there Windows Phone. That is one smooth OS.

I can agree with that. With WP8 and a Nokia (a company who definitely knows about industrial design if you look at some of their previous flagships) this could be a compelling reason for me to jump ship. I am OS agnostic and come Q2/Q3, and if for some reason the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 don't do it for me, I will shift.

vikingjunior
Dec 22, 2011, 08:40 PM
I can agree with that. With WP8 and a Nokia (a company who definitely knows about industrial design if you look at some of their previous flagships) this could be a compelling reason for me to jump ship. I am OS agnostic and come Q2/Q3, and if for some reason the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 don't do it for me, I will shift.

Yep there is an article around explaining how Android wasn't originally designed for touchscreens and hence why they just can't get it as smooth as iphone or Windows. No matter what hardware accelerator they put in there it will never be totally smooth.

lordofthereef
Dec 22, 2011, 08:45 PM

This is where MS and Apple shine. MS has very specific specs that handset makers must meet. In this sense, it is very similar to Apple's tactic. They design the mobile OS directly for the specific hardware it will be released on.

MatthewStorm
Dec 22, 2011, 08:54 PM

Er, that's the iPhone your talking about, not the Nexus.

---

daihard
Dec 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
I would love to try the new Galaxy Nexus once AT&T has released it. I hear very good things about it. I've been an iPhone user for a few years, but being a Linux guy to begin with, I would like to jump into the Android world when the right time comes...

lilcosco08
Dec 22, 2011, 09:27 PM
Nope

Thanks for your many insights and many intelligent points into why you believe iOS is better. I guess this discussion is now laid to rest.

Yumunum
Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
Another thing to keep in mind everyone... The Galaxy Nexus speaker sucks. Try it for yourself. It's quieter than the iPhone 4. And the iPhone 4 is quieter than the 4S. It's pretty lame

ntrigue
Dec 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
I trust Shawn Blanc's opinion to no equal.

http://shawnblanc.net/2011/12/android-galaxy-nexus-review/

I'll pass...

ericrwalker
Dec 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
You're very welcome.

Thanks for your many insights and many intelligent points into why you believe iOS is better. I guess this discussion is now laid to rest.

daihard
Dec 22, 2011, 11:26 PM
Another thing to keep in mind everyone... The Galaxy Nexus speaker sucks. Try it for yourself. It's quieter than the iPhone 4. And the iPhone 4 is quieter than the 4S. It's pretty lame

Thanks for the info. That won't be an issue for me as I hardly ever listen to music using the external speaker. :)

ICYBLUE1203
Dec 23, 2011, 02:41 AM
I tried the Google Nexus for a week and it's a pretty awesome phone. Every phone has its pros and cons but the pure Google ICS makes a huge difference. My issue with Android was ugly and buggy it was but I had NO issues. It's the only other phone on Verizon I could see myself using (right now) other than an iPhone 4S. The only thing the future iPhone 5 needs is LTE, a slightly bigger screen, and some small iOS updates to make it the almost perfect phone. Yes, the GN needs a better camera when comparing it to the iPhone, but you can manage your way around it if need be. Summer/fall 2012 should be interesting...

kevinof
Dec 23, 2011, 08:02 AM
Why is it crazy? You can download one of 100 stopwatch apps from the market and all for free.

bigbadneil
Dec 23, 2011, 09:21 AM
Another thing to keep in mind everyone... The Galaxy Nexus speaker sucks. Try it for yourself. It's quieter than the iPhone 4. And the iPhone 4 is quieter than the 4S. It's pretty lameHi you are correct about that.........in fact it has been a pain in the you know where as I have missed numerous calls due to the quietness of the speaker. Anyway after looking for help on the Android forum I was told that there is a app called “Volume+” that will fix that problem…………………..I have downloaded it already but unable to upload it to my phone and try it out as I am on an Oil Rig without a wifi connection so I will have to wait until I get off in 2 weeks time…………..I hope it fix’s the only problem that I have with this phone or I will be looking at a new 4s:(:(:(

Shockwave78
Dec 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
I waited for the Nexus to come out for months and got one on launch day, i had horrible battery life and returned it the next day. After reading around on phandroid for awhile everyone was convinced that i had a bad battery. The following day I went back and purchased another one and all has been well since.

I am getting about 4 to 4.5hrs usage time when strictly on LTE, when on WIFI i can get up to about 6 to 6.5hrs usage time. I have not tried disabling LTE yet and running 3g only. But after all the new device excitement wears off i probably will.

LTE is friggin fast on verizon, i am getting speeds of 30mb down and 10mb up consistently. The thing is...you don't need that speed at all unless you are watching video or downloading/uploading pics to somewhere. Its a dream to be able to take pics now at work and upload them in seconds rather than 10 minutes on verizons 3g network.

All in all, its a very good OS and after 4yrs of iphones I am gone...

Rocko1
Dec 23, 2011, 11:58 AM

---

No, wrong. You have not used a Nexus obviously.

TroyBoy30
Dec 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
i went from the iphone 4 to the gnex. actually prefer ICS to ios5. still have my ipad 2 though

sk1wbw
Dec 23, 2011, 12:38 PM

Haha, not really, cuz that's all Android fanboys talk about.

MatthewStorm
Dec 23, 2011, 12:55 PM
No, wrong. You have not used a Nexus obviously.

Use one everyday. My Nexus has everything you just said it doesnt. The iPhone has none. Maybe you should open the door to that bubble you live in and take a peek at the real world.

fertilized-egg
Dec 23, 2011, 02:30 PM
Maybe you should open the door to that bubble you live in and take a peek at the real world.

I don't think that's "the real world." You're basically asking to peek at your own bubble with your own bias. For example, as a current Android user I also found the button arrangement, along with many other UI elements, of Ice Cream Sandwich rather confusing and not very intuitive. Yet you're trying to pass that off as someone's fiction.

It's not that Apple users aren't biased, it's that Android users here (who spend so much time in an Apple-centric forum arguing how wonderful Android is) far too often claim that their opinions are completely objective and non-biased, when in fact they are just as biased, if not more so.

matttye
Dec 23, 2011, 03:14 PM

Not really. "there's an app for that"

Shockwave78
Dec 23, 2011, 03:17 PM
I had iphones since day 1 and hated Android since it came out, with ICS though thats all changed. They have come a long way and no one will be able to doubt that now.

Just like anything else it will get old after awhile, iOS hasn't changed graphically at all in 4yrs

aDRock1154
Dec 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
iOS hasn't changed graphically at all in 4yrs

That's not COMPLETELY true.

ewoods22
Dec 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
Thought about it..nope only for a second

jackrv
Dec 23, 2011, 06:32 PM
I did, and I love it. I am still a Mac as far as my desktops and I doubt that will change anytime soon. However, the phone arena has a lot of great competition right now. iPhone just waited too long for some spec upgrades, and I've had the 3GS for 2 years. My work bought us our choice of Verizon phones, and my coworker and I went with the Nexus.

PNutts
Dec 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Which devices won't see ICS for six months? What is basis for the %65 number you mention? Sources?

I don't see a 65% number on this chart that shows phones and their OS versions: Android fragmentation chart shows most phones abandoned (http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/10/27/android.support.seen.lagging.iphone.by.wide.margin/). Other than this chart I'm not familiar with this site so I don't know if they're biased either way.

From the article:
"Looking at at models released 2010 and earlier, Michael DeGusta showed that most were abandoned by their makers quickly. Of the group of 18, 15 don't run Android 2.3, 12 were current for weeks at best, and seven ran obsolete versions even when they launched.

It's considered likely that "at least" 16, though more likely all of them, will go without Android 4.0. Google just recently ruled out the Nexus One."

Because my iPhone has a physical home button I find it's pretty consistent. :p

Stealthipad
Dec 24, 2011, 06:31 AM
Haha, not really, cuz that's all Android fanboys talk about.

What is really sad is you do not even need to get the Nexus to have more features than the 4S, the SG2 beats it with ease. I sit here and move complicated satellite maps on but my wifes 4S and my SG2 and the poor little 4S can not even keep up with scrolling the map like the SG2. And the screen on the 4S is so tiny you would think it would be easy.

lique831
Dec 24, 2011, 07:28 AM
I've spent the past couple of years with Apple hardware at home (Macbook Pro, now a Macbook Air and an iPad) and an Android phone. I used to really enjoy customizing my phone, rooting, and installing a million different ROMs. But after a while, I really just wanted my phone to be stable and just work. It seemed like I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my phones "just right". I used to put down the iPhone, but after switching, it's a much better experience than what I had with Android.

As far as the Galaxy Nexus...no, I won't be switching. My CFO bought one and I thought the screen was gorgeous, but it was even bigger than my old Evo 3D and that was pretty big. Unfortunately, the lightness of it made it feel really cheap too. I am more interested in Ice Cream sandwich and may pick up a tablet with ICS in the future, but I think I'm done with the Android phone platform.

daihard
Dec 24, 2011, 11:17 AM
I've spent the past couple of years with Apple hardware at home (Macbook Pro, now a Macbook Air and an iPad) and an Android phone. I used to really enjoy customizing my phone, rooting, and installing a million different ROMs. But after a while, I really just wanted my phone to be stable and just work. It seemed like I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my phones "just right". I used to put down the iPhone, but after switching, it's a much better experience than what I had with Android.

That's a good point, though a lot of that is IMO personal preferences. I bought an iPhone back in 2008 because that was the only smartphone that did what I wanted a smartphone to do back then. It was an easy decision. On the other hand, I love customizing things to my liking. I use Linux/KDE mainly because of its customizability. Now that Android has caught up, I am seriously considering switching to it for the same reason.

smallnshort247
Dec 24, 2011, 12:00 PM
I recently just switched from my blackberry curve to the iPhone 4s and I love it. I will say that the OS feels a tad bit stale at times since I'm so used to it, yet infant deny that it's very stable and quick. The GN looks like a cool phone. I'd probably say that
If I were to switch the android, that would be the phone that I'd get. I just hate how it seems as if a new android phOne comes out every two weeks. But yeah, I think both platforms are good for what they are. I'm an android noob and I'd like to know how to use the OS just for the heck of it. Hopefully apple takes a few things from their OS like the cool backgrounds.

I must say that windows phone 7 isnt that bad either, I'm just not that interested in it compared to other operating systems on phones.

gniss39
Dec 26, 2011, 03:50 AM
I just recently got a 4S in November but just bought a Verizon Nexus full retail to play with until Jan 15. If I like it more than the 4S (first iPhone), it will stay and the iPhone will go on eBay.
I feel the Nexus will only get better especially for those who root and use custom ROMs, I loved doing that on my OG droid and kind of miss it. We will see what I decide!

toondw
Dec 26, 2011, 04:50 AM
im going to use both for a couple of weeks and decide then. I have been a iphone user since the start but an getting a bit tired of the layout so am interested in ICS.

I will spend a day with iphone then a day with nexus for a whole 2 weeks swapping every day then make my decision.

:D :confused:

----------

These are just 'opinions' from an typical Apple fanboy. I take it with a grain of salt. Google's Galaxy Nexus is so much better than iPhone 4s. Here's Why...

4) Angry Birds is free.

I rest my case.

you had me at angry birds is free! ;) (shame you did'nt put it first this would have worked better)

jsf8x
Dec 26, 2011, 05:48 AM
I had the original first generation and lived through entire Android saga the last 3 years before my plan ran out. I just got an iPhone 4S and fulfilling my dreams ever since the iPhone 4 came out. The Galaxy Nexus is a fascinating phone but I'm nearly sure it will succumb to the same issues that plague many Android phones with fragmentation being chief among them.

iHateMacs
Dec 26, 2011, 08:22 AM

No because I have used and loved the iPhone from day one and everyone I know and care about also uses iPhone.

It would be silly for me to change to something else.

Eager Beaver
Dec 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
I've spent the past couple of years with Apple hardware at home (Macbook Pro, now a Macbook Air and an iPad) and an Android phone.

Coulple of years?
In particular, WHICH android phone? :confused:
While the iphone4/4s has been basically the same exact phone for 3 years, the new android and windows phones have made HUGE leaps during that time period -

Gix1k
Dec 26, 2011, 09:15 AM
Nope..keeping the 4S until a new iPhone appears. Battery life on those phones are horrible..plus nowhere near as fluid.

jjamesv
Dec 26, 2011, 10:28 AM
I got a Nexus on launch day. I had the original iPhone and I've spent plenty of time with other iOS devices since then. I've previously owned an original Droid and an Incredible.

1)The Nexus screen is vibrant but in looking at 4 different displays they all seemed to have some color aberrations in one place or another. For example, mine has a greenish tint in the upper right corner and slight reddish tint along the left edge. It's very minor, but it's there, and it's there in different places on all the Nexii I looked at. The 4s screen is much more consistent.

The screen is a fail. Most reviews were probably not done with a careful eye to detail, and if you take a cursory look at the display it is a "wow factor". Dig a little deeper and it's sub-par.

At lower brightness the Nexus screen is grainy. Moreover, it it shows a "linen" or "crosshatch" pattern on solid fields of color.

2)Battery life doesn't seem to be any worse that my old Incredible, but that wasn't a phone well known for battery life either.

3)The phone heats up on long calls. It also heats up considerably when charging. Not sure what the issue is here but I don't think I'm alone in having it.

4)The Nexus has a speedier browser than in previous iterations of Android. From a functionality perspective, I'd say it's better than the browser in iOS5. It's not as snappy as the iOS browser and it doesn't render pages consistently. Once the kinks are worked out it'll be better.

5)The camera, whether still or video, is not on par with the 4s. That's a real disappointment given the size and status of the phone. There oughta be room for a DSLR in there somewhere!

My takeaway would be that if you go Android, you have to choose this phone. It's the only one that will be consistently updated. Even ROMing the phone means you have to wait for a developer to adapt those updates. Also, even the most stable ROMs (CM 7, etc.) are not as stable as stock.

To answer the OP's question, if you're not OCD about your display and you don't need the best camera (in a smartphone) the Nexus is really cool. If you use Google apps, especially Google Voice, Nexus can't be beat. I'm left with the question, Why, if you're making a “superphone” don't you make it hands down, across the board, better than anything else? Cost? If a better camera and better fit and finish meant $25 more, people would have paid it. I would have.

I get the impression that this phone/OS combo is a beta, like so many other Google projects. Owners of the Galaxy Nexus were let in on a sort of developer preview as opposed to a release. I've had my share of reboots and crashes. A lot of that may just be apps that will install but haven't been optimized for ICS. Having said that, over the coming months I would imagine it's going to get a whole lot better, and all things considered, it's pretty damn good now.

The ability to customize aspects of the system and access the file system makes the Android device FEEL more like a computer and less like an appliance. That customization doesn't necessarily bring more capability, but in this rivalry, for Android, it often does.

fertilized-egg
Dec 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
While the iphone4/4s has been basically the same exact phone for 3 years, the new android and windows phones have made HUGE leaps during that time period -

That's very easily disputed. In those three years, Apple completely changed the design, including the material used to build the phone, gave the phone a new dual core processor, doubled the linear resolution, changed the display tech from TN to IPS, switched to the fastest GPU in the industry, create a completely new cloud service, and released a host of APIs and OS changes too numerous to mention?

What you're trying to say is that the style of phone UI, along with the display size, haven't changed. That's something very different than "basically the same phone."

Eager Beaver
Dec 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
That's something very different than "basically the same phone."

It IS basically the same phone -
I guess you haven't seen the videos of side by side comparisons?

Look at the non-iphones 3 years ago when the 4s came out -
Look at the non-iphones now, they are completely different while the 4 is basically still the same phone -

3 years ago I woulda never considered a non-iphone, but things have changed dramatically for non iphone, (while for the 4s ........ :rolleyes:)

nfl46
Dec 26, 2011, 12:23 PM
I played with the Nexus. Not bad...not bad at all.

nraudigy2
Dec 26, 2011, 03:48 PM
I won't jump back to android anytime soon until Google forces same hardware on manufacturers. Android suffers the same fragmentation from Windows Mobile and Symbian. I guess Microsoft learned their lesson and created WP7. Apps will still crashes on Android more frequently than iOS and WP7 because of fragmentation. Only platform I can see switching to is WP7. You can read more about fragmentation of Android here.

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/93760-how-android-fragmentation-actually-affects-users

DeathChill
Dec 26, 2011, 04:16 PM
What is really sad is you do not even need to get the Nexus to have more features than the 4S, the SG2 beats it with ease. I sit here and move complicated satellite maps on but my wifes 4S and my SG2 and the poor little 4S can not even keep up with scrolling the map like the SG2. And the screen on the 4S is so tiny you would think it would be easy.

That seems strange as the 4S is much faster in the GPU department and the CPU's are equivalent. As well, Android is known to stutter and lag in regards to scrolling due to design choices used by the OS. But by all means, continue to spout crap.

ap3604
Dec 26, 2011, 07:47 PM
I've finally reached that zen moment where you have a great phone and figure out you don't need a new phone every couple of months or so.

I used to do that all the time with Android phones, jumping from phone to phone via Craigslist in order to always have the latest gadget with 0.2ghz more processing speed, or 0.3 inch bigger screen, getting the Nexus so its "pure" without any bloatware.

Now though? I don't care anymore about that useless stuff. I've grown up past caring and have become enlightened. It seems about as dumb as those guy's who spend extra money upgrading their car all the time even though it doesn't really make a noticeable difference.

It feels great not to have to worry about spec's and constantly worrying about the next big thing you have to upgrade to every 2 months, you guys should try it some time :)

Really don't care either way if Android or iPhone is better, long as I'm happy with my phone (which I am)

Calidude
Dec 26, 2011, 08:01 PM
I've finally reached that zen moment where you have a great phone and figure out you don't need a new phone every couple of months or so.

I used to do that all the time with Android phones, jumping from phone to phone via Craigslist in order to always have the latest gadget with 0.2ghz more processing speed, or 0.3 inch bigger screen, getting the Nexus so its "pure" without any bloatware.

Now though? I don't care anymore about that useless stuff. I've grown up past caring and have become enlightened. It seems about as dumb as those guy's who spend extra money upgrading their car all the time even though it doesn't really make a noticeable difference.

It feels great not to have to worry about spec's and constantly worrying about the next big thing you have to upgrade to every 2 months, you guys should try it some time :)

Really don't care either way if Android or iPhone is better, long as I'm happy with my phone (which I am)
You were just being completely ridiculous. Most of us upgrade their phone once a year max. Most of us are completely normal, unlike you.

TM WAZZA
Dec 26, 2011, 08:28 PM
You were just being completely ridiculous. Most of us upgrade their phone once a year max. Most of us are completely normal, unlike you.

You mean once a year MINIMUM.

JoJoCal19
Dec 26, 2011, 09:04 PM

I was that guy. From about 2008 until I got my iPhone 4 in February I would upgrade my phone every 3 months getting the newest Android or BlackBerry to hit Verizon. I just got the Nexus but I will be returning it not because of ICS, which I happen to LOVE, but because the Nexus hardware is disappointing me, especially the camera. Im going to order the 4S. As Ive gotten older (turning 30 soon) and gotten married and had a baby, Ive become less concerned with having thr greatest phone out or tweaking my phone too much. I agree with Aaron from Phonedog that at the end of his work day, he doesnt want to think about using his phone, he just wants to use it and not think about it. With the iPhone I can do just that. The Nexus is a great phone overall and I love it, I just love the iPhone 4S just a tad more.

Dunbar
Dec 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
I played with a the Galaxy Nexus today and I was really impressed. The big 720p screen with Verizon LTE completely destroys web browsing on my iPhone 4. It feels a little big in my hand and the battery life has me a little concerned. My ideal screen size is 4.3" so I'm interested to see what the Galaxy S3 has to offer.

Eager Beaver
Dec 26, 2011, 09:35 PM

Still have the 3g, huh?

digitard
Dec 26, 2011, 09:41 PM
Played with the Nexus.

ICS is definitely, as I've said before, a step in the right direction for Google and Android... but the phone still felt lacking. Not as polished, not as seamless, and the camera was a deal breaker for me. While better than my previous Droid outings (RAZR & OG Droid) it still didn't hold a candle to my 4/4S. As I have kids this is huge to me.

Battery life, from reading as the store units are always tethered to power, is still underwhelming even if on 3G all day (force off LTE).

Since I'm always with my phone for work that's another concern, and one of the primary reasons I took back the RAZR when I had it. I need reliable battery life, and even my 4S being a little less than my 4 was... it still is a big difference.

I think the GN is definitely going the right way for Android and Google, but I am not sold. I'm happy with my 4S, and don't forsee a switch possibility until LTE is in it's 2nd/3rd generation and not sucking up battery, and the camera/battery is up to snuff.

waloshin
Jan 18, 2012, 12:59 AM

On Android Gps is free through Google Navigation.
There is a great free dictionary called Merriam-Webster Dictionary which is a very popular dictionary in paperback , but this app is also free.

dawiyo
Jan 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
Last weekend I picked up a GN on VZW. I still have my iPhone 4 and unlimited plan on AT&T but I'll be cancelling that soon and selling the phone. Ask away!

chakraj
Jan 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Yes I did and love my new GNex. It needed a new ROm and a new Launcher and a new Kernal, but now th ebattery lasts longer than my 4S and I get 30Mb down unlimited hotspot. Oh Ya...:cool:

sentinelsx
Jan 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Probably will pick a nexus soon. I need one for development purposes and while i have "used" some android phones likes arc, gs2 etc for a month or so, the captivate i bought in November 2010 is still in the drawer and i have been using it on and off. With the new ICS ROM it was actually very snappy and i felt like i had a new phone. For a month straight that i used it i was impressed with the stability of ICS; no hiccups, no restarts, no stutters. And the browser performance was out of the world. I am talking about a November 2010 phone. Shows people you don't really need to keep switching phones even while on android. In fact my captivate was stock until August when i finally put a custom ROM on it because i just wanted to. This also shows that the newer and higher end androids can last a good while even while on stock and with out tweaks. I know quite a few people in fact with a Nexus S who don't even know anything about ROMs and have been happy with the phone for many months.

For me, the only thing android really needs to improve on is battery life. It is nice that motorola is pushing this now and Samsung has said they will focus on battery life this year. Which is good news for people like me. Even so, i am planning to just buy a spare battery and keep it in my wallet for whenever i need heavy usage. It is two batteries but it gives me almost same usage as the iPhone 4 without having to charge and the minor inconvenience of having to restart the phone.

Vegastouch
Jan 20, 2012, 01:56 AM
I am running ICS on my Galaxy S Vibrant :D

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/snap20120119_233756-1.jpg

chakraj
Jan 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
As I said, my Galaxy Nexus has better battery life than my iphone 4s did, plus I have an extra battery and an etended battery both purchased at half price from Verizon. So now I have four times the battery life, ten times the download speed, legal and legit hotspot unlimited, and a phone that i can customize to my hearts desire, and a nice readable screen not some tiny thing that needs a microscope to see. :D

Werewolf
Jan 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Long time iphone user switched to GNEX for my own reasons (not applicable to everyone). Wife is still using iphone 4S. GNEX almost made it a borderline decision for her but Galaxy S3 would definitely be the final push for her (unless iphone5 comes up with huge upgrades OR Samsung manages to royally screw Galaxy S3). As far as my reasons are concerned:

- Tired of same icons grid on iphone since 2008?
- Got an ipad. iPhone felt like an overkill.
- I like the big screen and vibrant colours on GNEX.
- Don't care much about the camera.
- ICS is a breath of fresh air and love the customization (even stock offers lots of customization - I don't need to root/flash) - widgets, quick shortcuts etc.

My opinion on certain things highlighted in this thread:

- Stock iphone 4S battery > stock GNEX battery. (That's true, unless you want to spend $25 on extended battery and $5 on juice defender. Not an huge expense if it gives you ICS experience). Even stock to stock comparison is about 15-20% difference but due to genuine reasons (bigger screen and resolution....)

- iphone 4S display > GNEX: I don't agree with that. Different technology and different experience/preferences. It's gorgeous on both devices.

- Huge phone: Doesn't feel huge in hands due to slim design and light weight. Again, individual preference.

-Ecosystem/Apps/blah blah blah: Both OS have got an excellent echo system / apps collection. Only caveat is the switching cost (i.e. apps purchased on one OS not transferable to another). All the popular apps are available on both OS and I haven't noticed any quality issues yet.

- Facetime/iMsg: Well, need another iphone user for that to work. Same is the case with NFC/Beam in GNEX. So it's just a wash. /ignore

- Siri: Toy? I found it much faster / error free to do things manually.

In the end, it all comes down to individual preferences. Both OS provide an excellent user experience and equally good.

alex2792
Jan 22, 2012, 07:28 AM
I switched from 4s to Gnex and don't regret it one bit. I just couldn't deal with the tiny screen as it made browsing and YouTube a terrible experience. I've used 4+in phones prior to getting the iPhone and there's just no going back to the miniscule screen. Lack of file system access was also driving me nuts as it made it impossible for me to be productive(what kind of an iDiot decided that people can't attach files from the mail app?). I also missed the hacked Pandora app that allows unlimited skips and adfree for removing ads from all the apps,but the straw that broke the camel's back was lack of navigation and terrible maps app(compared to android). In the future I'll be sticking with the iPad and Android combo since I need my phone for actual productivity not just Angry Birds.

cynics
Jan 22, 2012, 07:54 AM
Im not big on hardware but I wish iOS would progress a little faster. Using my iPhone is like starring at the app drawer on an android phone.

I don't understand how having to menu dive to check email and click apps to check weather is easier! I can just glance at my tablet and the widgets will tell be everything I need or want to know.

Work provides me with an iPhone 4s but I've been debating picking up a gnex at my expense.

bigbadneil
Jan 24, 2012, 04:11 PM
That is me nearly 3 months into owning a GN and I can honestly say I just never see me going back to iPhone unless they make it with a similar size screen as the GN and they make there apps as user friendly as the Android market
GN Rocks

Fireblade
Jan 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
That is me nearly 3 months into owning a GN and I can honestly say I just never see me going back to iPhone unless they make it with a similar size screen as the GN and they make there apps as user friendly as the Android market
GN Rocks

I am in the same boat except SGS2 since over 8 month now.

yoda254
Jan 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
My first 24hours with my Galaxy Nexus. I finally upgraded from my OG Droid to the Galaxy Nexus yesterday.So far I'm loving almost everything about the GN. I bought the extended battery,unlocked the bootloader and rooted my GN. ICS is a lot smoother and visual appealing then the past versions of android.

PROS
*Loving the vibrant colors/screen size/resolution(Best screen of all phone imo)
*Light weight and not to thick (even with the extended battery)
*ICS=major step forward (Much smoother OS)
*No physical buttons
*Customization
*Developer support
*Updates from Google

CONS
*Battery cover-Gives it a less premium feel
*Light Weight/slick feel- Yes this is a pro and con. The lightness/slickness makes it seem like its easier to drop when holding.
*No gorilla glass

Neutral
*Camera- No where near as bad as most are saying, but not the best either.Upgrade compared to my og droid camera.
*4G LTE-Very fast speeds along with fast battery drain lol.The extended battery should have been standard.(You can also turn 4g off in the setting for better life)

bigbadneil
Jan 25, 2012, 02:02 AM
I agree wiyth Simon

thesweeps
Jan 25, 2012, 02:24 AM
Im sure the GN is a great phone but when it comes to the software IOS is just much smoother and easy to use. Even something as simple as pinch to zoom, it just works better with IOS. It never has any hiccups just works right. Thats the biggest difference and always will be to me at least.

Software, camera, and apps are the biggest reasons I enjoy IOS over Android and yes I used Android for years since the first one came out the G1 up until about 5 months ago. I know people say that Android is getting closer to apps but if you have had both phones for long periods of time..the apps made for IOS are soooo much better and smoother its not close to me.

And im not to into screen size..personally 4.5 inch screen is way to big for a cell phone but thats opinion really. Im hoping Apple doesnt go that large.

bigbadneil
Feb 1, 2012, 04:11 PM
GN RocksJust sold the Galaxy Nexus and bought a new iPhone 4s.........I loved the GN but the battery life was killing me and also some of the functions were just awkward for a 54 year old with big hands.
Anyway its gone and I am back using iPhone and dare I say it "I am glad to be back"

Balibalistic
Feb 1, 2012, 04:18 PM
Just sold the Galaxy Nexus and bought a new iPhone 4s.........I loved the GN but the battery life was killing me and also some of the functions were just awkward for a 54 year old with big hands.
Anyway its gone and I am back using iPhone and dare I say it "I am glad to be back"

Glad to have you back :apple:

Calidude
Feb 1, 2012, 04:23 PM
Just sold the Galaxy Nexus and bought a new iPhone 4s.........I loved the GN but the battery life was killing me and also some of the functions were just awkward for a 54 year old with big hands.
Welcome back from the battery-sucking, faux-open-source, laggy malware known as Android.

chakraj
Feb 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
Thats funny, because my GNexus gets better battery life than my 4s by a few hours.

And that on LTE, I bet a GSM version would be WAY better.

Have I mentioned that I love my Nexus!:cool:

jabingla2810
Feb 1, 2012, 04:45 PM
I think the galaxy Nexus looks like a great device.

However, Photo Stream and iTunes Match make my iPhone just too hard to give up.

macbook123
Feb 1, 2012, 04:53 PM
How will you guys with a Nexus upgrade to the iPhone 5 if you find you want to? Pay ETF?

bigbadneil
Feb 1, 2012, 05:14 PM
Glad to have you back :apple:Thanks man

chakraj
Feb 1, 2012, 05:19 PM
How will you guys with a Nexus upgrade to the iPhone 5 if you find you want to? Pay ETF?

If you mean the iPhone 6, I will just pay cash for it. I am not leaving Verizon and my new Unlimited LTE and unlimited LTE hotspot plan. I know ATT will not be offering an unlimited LTE hotspot plan anytime soon.

I am already at 14Gigs for the month. Hey it can connect up to 10 devices on LTE hotspot, and I pay $30 for the hotspot and $30 for unlimited LTE data. So at $60 a month on data alone, I can use it as much as I please.

So if the new iphone has LTE and a 1080p + screen I may just buy it and stay on Verizon.

macbook123
Feb 1, 2012, 05:25 PM
So buying a Nexus with plan now makes changing to the iPhone 5 this summer very expensive (i.e., necessitates paying the ETF)? Or is there a way to do it that's less expensive?

nooaah
Feb 1, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thats funny, because my GNexus gets better battery life than my 4s by a few hours.

Yes, but you seem to be obsessively compelled to explain this to iPhone users for some reason. ;)

Mac.World
Feb 1, 2012, 05:40 PM

I'm glad you like your Nexus. Not a bad phone. How's ICS working? Any bugs found in it? Transitions smoother than in Gingerbread?

MagicBoy
Feb 1, 2012, 05:45 PM
No.

chakraj
Feb 1, 2012, 05:49 PM
yes, but you seem to be obsessively compelled to explain this to iphone users for some reason. ;)

NewYork88
Feb 1, 2012, 05:55 PM
I must have had 2 slugs because both GN I had the battery life was not as good as my 4S....... Let alone signal!

chakraj
Feb 1, 2012, 05:57 PM
I had to load a custom Rom, Custom Kernal and the new Radios. but after all that its better. Before it was a bout the same to a little worst.

adnbek
Feb 1, 2012, 06:30 PM

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.641161,-73.964084

You're kidding, right? Android fragmentation and lack of updates is a well-known fact. Some phones can't even go past Froyo and many Gingerbread phones won't get ICS either. (and it has nothing to do with how capable or not the hardware is)

Have you done any research on the topic? Here's some reading for you to do:

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

lilo777
Feb 2, 2012, 12:17 AM
So buying a Nexus with plan now makes changing to the iPhone 5 this summer very expensive (i.e., necessitates paying the ETF)? Or is there a way to do it that's less expensive?

I do not think people buying Nexus phones are planning on going back to iPhone so it's not really a concern to them. Why would they? iPhone 5 will still have smaller screen with lower resolution. At best it may get LTE, NFC, 1 GB of RAM but Nexus already has them. If anything, Nexus owners are probably looking forward to Samsung Galaxy SIII which is rumored to be a monster phone.

----------

You're kidding, right? Android fragmentation and lack of updates is a well-known fact. Some phones can't even go past Froyo and many Gingerbread phones won't get ICS either. (and it has nothing to do with how capable or not the hardware is)

Have you done any research on the topic? Here's some reading for you to do:

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

What does "fragmentation" have to do with the subject of this thread? All Nexus phones get updated just as timely as iPhones. So both iOS and Android have exactly one phone model which is well supported. Situation will probably change once Motorola is acquired by Google. Most likely all Motorola phones will use standard Android then.

----------

I though that "for a 54 year old with big hands" all functions are awkward on a 3.5 screen. Just try browsing the Internet on this little thing.

fertilized-egg
Feb 2, 2012, 12:39 AM
All Nexus phones get updated just as timely as iPhones. So both iOS and Android have exactly one phone model which is well supported.

Sure. Go ask Nexus One users how timely they received the Gingerbread update and also ask them how they are enjoying their ICS update. Google's track record isn't all that great even with the Nexus phones. But the sample size is small so here's hoping.

Another problem is the slow adoption of latest apps also affects the app quality. The latest version of Android, ICS, has been around for over a month now but because the users cannot move to ICS fast, the developers tend to delay upgrading their apps to take advantage of the latest features to the maximum extent.

As a side note, the best selling version of the first Samsung Galaxy in the USA, as far as I know, was the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant. While not a Nexus, that phone is still stuck in Froyo let alone Gingerbread. That phone came out in July 2010.

TG1
Feb 2, 2012, 11:17 AM
I was seriously thinking about this since my gf is on Verizon and I'm currently on AT&T with my iPhone 4. The drop in price to $99 didn't hurt either. In the end, though, it was just too much to ask to leave the Apple ecosystem and all I have invested there from app purchases, to docks & accessories, to services like iTunes Match.

So, I'll end up riding out my contract until iPhone 5 shows up and switching to Verizon then. Loving the untethered jailbreak on the iPhone 4 too. :)

Tarzanman
Feb 2, 2012, 01:11 PM
I have a Vibrant. I am slightly tempted to get a newer phone (maybe the Galaxy Nexus), but when it comes down to it what am I buying?

I already have unlimited data (after 5GB they restrict it to EDGE)
I already have tethering (use it at work every day)
I already have spare batteries and battery chargers
I can already view avi, mkv with subtitles on my phone

What would I be gaining? these:
1. A better functioning GPS
2. A better camera
3. A front facing camera
4. A nicer/bigger screen

The question is, do I want to pay ~$500-$600 for these things?

PacificBeach
Feb 2, 2012, 02:55 PM
NO , After owning 5 iphones, I am tired of the general look and feel of the iOS. Each year nothing radically changes, more or less things are the same.
the ICE Cream Sandwich OS is much better than iOS at this point. I also like that ICS is more open, more features, more customizations.

fertilized-egg
Feb 2, 2012, 09:13 PM
2. A better camera
3. A front facing camera
4. A nicer/bigger screen

As a fellow Vibrant user, I can tell you that the lateset Android phones feel much faster even without ICS. Things like scrolling around a web site, just flicking through the home launcher all feel much smoother with latest Android phones with faster chips.

The sad part of Android is that even Windows Phone with inferior hardware feels much smoother and even ICS doesn't completely solve that. Having been using Windows Phone 7 for a bit now in addition to my Android phone, Android just feels awkwardly stutter-y.

Odd thing is, ICS feels great at first with a good "wow factor" but after a while it hasn't impressed me much. The OS somehow feels disjointed and something isn't quite right with the UI. Windows Phone 7 is the complete opposite. It didn't wow me in the beginning, but after you get used to it, the fresh UI approach really grew in me and it's really smooth all around, notwithstanding some 3rd party apps that tend to be slow.

I still prefer iOS over either of them given a choice, but I actually begin to feel sorry for Microsoft a bit. They have a pretty nice product in Windows Phone 7 but getting completely destroyed by Android.

BoxerGT2.5
Feb 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
Gave my wife my 4s, picked up the GSM Gnex. Love it! Had just about every AT&T rep wanting to check it out when I went to grab a sim for her. Zero issues and most of the battery issues are on the LTE version with Verizon.

Tarzanman
Feb 3, 2012, 07:04 AM
Gave my wife my 4s, picked up the GSM Gnex. Love it! Had just about every AT&T rep wanting to check it out when I went to grab a sim for her. Zero issues and most of the battery issues are on the LTE version with Verizon.

The galaxy nexus was my "it" phone for a while.... One of my friends got one right before our snowboard trip..... And then a few weeks later another friend got the Droid Razr.

Now I am a bit torn....truth be told, the form factor of the droid data is far and away nicer than the Galaxy Nexus. Thinner, lighter.... Photos don't really do the droid data justice once you've held one in your hands.

Locked bootloader is a non starter, though.... Also Pentaband means I can use my phone whomever I want, whenever I want.

Given how tough it is for me to decide between two such devices... It is *really* hard for me to understand the mentality of the iphone user that decides that the one-size-fits-all approach works for them in the long term.

adnbek
Feb 3, 2012, 12:07 PM
What does "fragmentation" have to do with the subject of this thread? All Nexus phones get updated just as timely as iPhones. So both iOS and Android have exactly one phone model which is well supported. Situation will probably change once Motorola is acquired by Google. Most likely all Motorola phones will use standard Android then.

Yeah, sorry for changing the subject. Was just responding to someone who brought it up.

As for your assertion that it will improve. Maybe for stock "Google" phones but that's about. I don't see any improvement with the rest, especially considering that some manufacturers *cough* Samsung *cough* are releasing phones at an even faster rate than in previous years (except for HTC which has pledged to take a more sensible approach and stretch out their release cycles.

aohus
Feb 3, 2012, 01:18 PM
FYI, for those jumping ship to G Nexus on Verizon, battery life is a big issue right now, especially if you have LTE enabled all day.

The best I could get with 4G enabled all day was about 2 and half hours.
With WiFi connected all day, expect to get about 4 hours of on-screen time.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RWhFkADCrYU/TyTcxPwf9EI/AAAAAAAABR4/k7OaWd8J5BA/s512/Screenshot_2012-01-24-22-21-33.png

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EjbDB42tV-8/TyTcK_5wIJI/AAAAAAAABRw/Fm8875SQB3E/s640/Screenshot_2012-01-28-10-21-39.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TljWU8X44Zw/TyLdUUwyySI/AAAAAAAABRY/dzRwtbrPWDw/s512/Screenshot_2012-01-27-09-21-34.png

cynics
Feb 3, 2012, 01:39 PM
FYI, for those jumping ship to G Nexus on Verizon, battery life is a big issue right now, especially if you have LTE enabled all day.

The best I could get with 4G enabled all day was about 2 and half hours.
With WiFi connected all day, expect to get about 4 hours of on-screen time.

Image (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RWhFkADCrYU/TyTcxPwf9EI/AAAAAAAABR4/k7OaWd8J5BA/s512/Screenshot_2012-01-24-22-21-33.png)

Image (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EjbDB42tV-8/TyTcK_5wIJI/AAAAAAAABRw/Fm8875SQB3E/s640/Screenshot_2012-01-28-10-21-39.png)

Image (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TljWU8X44Zw/TyLdUUwyySI/AAAAAAAABRY/dzRwtbrPWDw/s512/Screenshot_2012-01-27-09-21-34.png)

What the story with that second pic showing over a day with no charging and moderate usage?

cotak
Feb 3, 2012, 02:01 PM
A switcher here. Well 2 of us as both me and my wife jumped ship at the same time. Me from a iphone 4 and she from my old 3G.

She never pays for apps. Just use free ones or the ones on the ipad 2 which are my apps.

As for me well I generally just find I am not an app person. The most used thing for me is the browser, email, whatapp, gtalk, kindle and facebook. And now that I have done the switch I am going to make it a point to avoid any purchases that's locked into any phone OS. So no more ibooks for me. As for games well the only game that I really play (since I tend to use my phone for games at most 5 minutes at a time) is angry birds. And guess what it's free on android as it's ad supported (don't know how long that gravy train lasts as I never click on ads).

As to all the pros and cons and all the FUD from either side....

I don't miss the iphone at all really.

I don't think at this point iOS has any solid advantages over android for a first time smartphone buyer. In some ways it's actually not as friendly an experience setting up an iphone over android, especially for people who already uses google's services and have an gmail account. In the iOS world the activation of an iphone is indeed a "post PC experience" in that you plug it into a machine with itunes first THEN you get to use your new phone. With the GN all I had to do was provide my gmail credentials and everything came to the phone.

Smoothness. Iphone 4 vs Galaxy Nexus the GN wins. Not so sure about the 4S as I only used one for a day before sending it off to my Dad. But overall if you aren't concentrating I doubt you'll notice much.

Siri. Played with it and while it proves a nice little bit of humour in Big Bang Theory. I didn't find it much use. Might be cause it's still beta without much of the features enable for people outside the USA. If you just want to search or call someone google voice works ok too.

Multitasking. One of those things that apple still doesn't do well at. And you can tell not a lot of thought when into it. On ICS you have you dedicated multitasking menu which is wonderful. And the swipe to remove program from the task list and free up memory and kill the front end task (backend tasks sometimes keeps running) is much easier to use than the way you kill "tasks" in iOS.

Customization. Wow what to say? It's great on ICS and android in general. It might not seem much but being able to add all sort of icon for 1 touch functions or having widget display important data is a nice to have.

Face unlock. It's hard to say if this is a gimmick or not. It doesn't work consistently enough to remove the need of having a pin or pattern unlock. But it does work well enough that it reduces the number of times you have to use the pin. I hope this feature does get the dev time it needs to improve.

Keyboard. There's no contest that iOS input hasn't really changed or improved since a long long time. The increased control you get with the android keyboard vs the iOS one is quite nice. I find less "damn you auto correct" moment now than before. Also helps that the GN has a bigger screen so you get slightly bigger keyboard with more space between keys.

Overall I like this new phone and from my point of view maybe those who don't like ICS might want to give it a serious go and see what they think after a week or 2.

aohus
Feb 3, 2012, 02:07 PM
What the story with that second pic showing over a day with no charging and moderate usage?

i get over a day of usage with moderate use w/ 4G enabled all day.

i was just trying to make a point by saying that 4G enabled kills battery, but if you're on 3G/WiFi, you'll get terrific battery life.

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 03:10 PM
I buy Apple products because they offer the best combination of Hardware and Software in one single package.

There's a reason ppl spend extra money on MacBooks/iMacs, etc, when they could get the same spec'd pc for $500+ less money.

That's the same reason I have an iPhone, and will not be buying some 3rd rate plastic phone with a chunky OS thrown together with copy/paste of Oracle's IP.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 03:19 PM
i buy apple products because they offer the best combination of hardware and software in one single package.

There's a reason ppl spend extra money on macbooks/imacs, etc, when they could get the same spec'd pc for $500+ less money.

That's the same reason i have an iphone, and will not be buying some 3rd rate plastic phone with a chunky os thrown together with copy/paste of oracle's ip.

aohus
Feb 3, 2012, 03:32 PM
damn, all i'm seeing are a bunch of crappy gifs on this thread.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 03:37 PM
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

onthecouchagain
Feb 3, 2012, 03:42 PM
I buy Apple products because they offer the best combination of Hardware and Software in one single package.

There's a reason ppl spend extra money on MacBooks/iMacs, etc, when they could get the same spec'd pc for $500+ less money.

That's the same reason I have an iPhone, and will not be buying some 3rd rate plastic phone with a chunky OS thrown together with copy/paste of Oracle's IP.

Justification to buying Apple's computers are slightly different than justification for buying Apple's iOS products. They've been at the computer scene for 30 years, give or take. OSX beats Windows hands down.

But in all honesty, ICS is more advanced than iOS 5 currently is (EDIT: Speaking exclusively about the iPhone. Never owned an iPad/Android tablet).

Where iOS does things better than ICS, it is usually by small margins; where ICS does things better than iOS, it's by leaps and bounds.

fertilized-egg
Feb 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
Given how tough it is for me to decide between two such devices... It is *really* hard for me to understand the mentality of the iphone user that decides that the one-size-fits-all approach works for them in the long term.

The irony of that statement is despite all this talk about Android providing more choices, there's an inconspicuous lack of such choice for high end phone with a midsize screen. Either you have to buy a large phone with a 4.3"+ screen or buy some shoddy mid range or low end phones.

Personally I'd like to have something "mid size" like the iPhone with a high density display as well as the best fit&finish possible in hardware. There no such product offered by any carrier near me.

BaldiMac
Feb 3, 2012, 03:57 PM
Justification to buying Apple's computers are slightly different than justification for buying Apple's iOS products. They've been at the computer scene for 30 years, give or take. OSX beats Windows hands down.

But in all honesty, ICS is more advanced than iOS 5 currently is (EDIT: Speaking exclusively about the iPhone. Never owned an iPad/Android tablet).

Where iOS does things better than ICS, it is usually by small margins; where ICS does things better than iOS, it's by leaps and bounds.

Sorry to single you out, but I've noticed this a lot lately. Why have people started using "in all honesty" when they mean "in my opinion"? :D

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 04:08 PM

Well, to use the same logic of Apple being around computers longer... they also pretty much invented the market for the phones we have today. Where would the smartphone be if the iPhone never came out? I don't care when the 'Android project' was started. They probably never would have released an actual phone if it wasn't for the iPhone.

Also, the products that integrate with the iPhone/iOS/OS X work better for me. I don't feel like buying an ICS device with a completely fragmented OS and have to worry about when I'll get updates from my vendor blah blah blah. It's a cluster eff.

Edit:: And you completely missed my point regarding which is more "Advanced". Like I said, you can get a full blown spec'd PC for a moderately spec'd mac... but, there are reasons ppl choose the mac. I was a Anti-Mac guy for the longest time, until I got sick of dealing with all the probe with my PC... 4.5 years later I'm using the same iMac that has been running 24/7 without a hitch. It's the same for the phone/tablets.

There has been an "iPhone killer" every couple a months and guess what... no one has killed the iPhone. I had several friends get the HTC EVO when that was the iPhone Killer... pieces of crap didn't even last a year and the ones that did look/run like utter crap.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 04:13 PM
Im sorry but apple did not invent the market for smartphones. I had a windows mobile smart phone with a three and a half inch color touch screen years before the iphone came out. infact way back in 2004, and they had been around for years before that. virtually the same form factor with the same options, big touch screen, internal memory, sd caards, wifi, celular data, a camera....

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
Im sorry but apple did not invent the market for smartphones. I had a windows mobile smart phone with a three and a half inch color touch screen years before the iphone came out. infact way back in 2004, and they had been around for years before that. virtually the same form factor with the same options, big touch screen, internal memory, sd caards, wifi, celular data, a camera....

You and 5 other ppl. Don't act like Apple didn't revolutionize the consumer market for smartphones. They did. I guess I should have said 'revolutionize', but you get my stinking point.

cynics
Feb 3, 2012, 04:16 PM
Well, to use the same logic of Apple being around computers longer... they also pretty much invented the market for the phones we have today. Where would the smartphone be if the iPhone never came out? I don't care when the 'Android project' was started. They probably never would have released an actual phone if it wasn't for the iPhone.

Also, the products that integrate with the iPhone/iOS/OS X work better for me. I don't feel like buying an ICS device with a completely fragmented OS and have to worry about when I'll get updates from my vendor blah blah blah. It's a cluster eff.

What about BB. They were around for years before the iPhone. The iPhone wasn't particularly that amazing but they did bring the smartphone to a new type of customer which is cool.

Updates? How many threads are on here asking about 5.1? One a day? Im curious where the rumor that the iPhone gets lightning fast updates came from.

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 04:18 PM
What about BB. They were around for years before the iPhone. The iPhone wasn't particularly that amazing but they did bring the smartphone to a new type of customer which is cool.

Updates? How many threads are on here asking about 5.1? One a day? Im curious where the rumor that the iPhone gets lightning fast updates came from.

Who said anything about lightning fast updates? Read what I said... I was talking about fragmentation.... will a vendor even support an upgrade, etc, etc. I never said there's updates all the time with Apple. But you know who supports your product and they aren't going to let it die.

This is why I don't talk on these forums. You have to explain every freakin detail.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 04:43 PM
You and 5 other ppl. Don't act like Apple didn't revolutionize the consumer market for smartphones. They did. I guess I should have said 'revolutionize', but you get my stinking point.

oh ok, so what you are saying is that except for BlackBerry, and Palm, and Windows Mobile, HTC, Nokia and all of the others making PDA phones at the time, except for those guys apple made a revolutionary product?

Or did apple just make a good product that was easy to use for the masses? Maybe you think that is revolutionary?

cynics
Feb 3, 2012, 05:07 PM
Who said anything about lightning fast updates? Read what I said... I was talking about fragmentation.... will a vendor even support an upgrade, etc, etc. I never said there's updates all the time with Apple. But you know who supports your product and they aren't going to let it die.

This is why I don't talk on these forums. You have to explain every freakin detail.

Sorry I misread your post then.

Here is my problem with the claim of fragmentation of android updates. We'll use iOS for example, it got a camera from lock screen option. Everyone that wasn't jb got that option at the same time which is nice. Ok so now say android did that with update version 2 (2 just for easier example). Well manufactures may have already did that in version 1. Why would they release an update with a feature they already have?

I do agree some manufactures don't release updates for bug fixes as often as others but at the same rate the manufacture may have fixed bugs in android with there version.

I think the biggest problem with android updates and the confusion from customers. Some people just want there version number to be the biggest and have no idea what it does.

Here is a personal example. My Xoom tablet got updates from google however outside the US Motorola supplied the updates. When I got honeycomb 3.2 the main feature was sd card support. People outside the US complained that they were still on 3.1. Threads and threads of complaints. The problem was Motorola had given xoom owners sd card access with version 3.1. There was no real benefit to them getting 3.2. They just wanted a bigger version number.

Like iOS currently my phone seems to be working just fine on 5.0.1. Only reason I'd even consider updating is cause the battery life might get better. If it ain't broke sort of mentality.

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 06:03 PM

oh ok, so what you are saying is that except for BlackBerry, and Palm, and Windows Mobile, HTC, Nokia and all of the others making PDA phones at the time, except for those guys apple made a revolutionary product?

Or did apple just make a good product that was easy to use for the masses? Maybe you think that is revolutionary?

It's funny that you are arguing this. The iPhone did for the mobile market what no other smartphone did before or since.

Whether or not you want to say its just because the phone is "easy" is up to you. Point is, apple made a product that people wanted, more so than any other product. Where are all of those 'smartphones' now? Oh right.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 06:06 PM
it just always seems like everyone thinks the iphone was the first phone like this. I had my Imate Jam and a bunch of similar phones for years before the iphone came out. Yes they made a better product, but it was not revolutionary.

This thing was out three years before the iphone.

There were ones that looked better also, I just didnt have a pic of them saved on my comp.

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 06:44 PM

To each his own. I don't like that phone at all.

Also youre forgetting a major thing... 3rd party apps. Apple revolutionized the mobile market. Stop arguing this fact.

They revolutionized the music industry too. Sure, you could say, "Buy windows media player does all the same stuff as iTunes blah blah blah". It doesn't. Get my point? My original point that said they invented the mobile market we have today. Revolutionizing a market includes more things than a rectangular device.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 06:50 PM
The first iphone didnt have apps, remember they were all going to be web apps.

Its just the whole "revolutionized" thing I dont agree with.

They saw a market and entered it, they did a great job, but it wasnt revolutionary.

And even the app store wsnt revolutionary, I had spent hundreds of dollars on Handango for windows mobile buying apps before the app store came out.

Yes apple implimented a cleaner and easier system. But to call it revolutionary is to make it sound like it wasnt done before.

They capitalized on a great idea, that would be a statement I could agree with.

Anyway, Have I told you how much I love my Galaxy Nexus yet?

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 06:56 PM

The first iphone didnt have apps, remember they were all going to be web apps.

Its just the whole "revolutionized" thing I dont agree with.

They saw a market and entered it, they did a great job, but it wasnt revolutionary.

And even the app store wsnt revolutionary, I had spent hundreds of dollars on Handango for windows mobile buying apps before the app store came out.

Yes apple implimented a cleaner and easier system. But to call it revolutionary is to make it sound like it wasnt done before.

They capitalized on a great idea, that would be a statement I could agree with.

Anyway, Have I told you how much I love my Galaxy Nexus yet?

Really? Cuz a simple google search containing the words iPhone and revolutionize brings several links from reputable sources explaining how the iPhone has revolutionized the mobile industry.

I guess you're the one that's right though.

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 06:58 PM
Oh well a marketing source is always believable. Much more so than the bleeding edge users out there.:rolleyes:

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 07:00 PM

Oh well a marketing source is always believable. Much more so than the bleeding edge users out there.:rolleyes:

Why are you here?

chakraj
Feb 3, 2012, 07:05 PM
Its fun to visit all of my Iphone friends. Xda and Rootzwiki arent as exciting.
Plus I have to keep up on all the Mac happenings. I still have my ipad 2, my mac book pro and will most likely get the new iphone as long as they loose the tiny screen.

And I would miss all the fun if I didnt come visit.;)

bigbadneil
Feb 3, 2012, 07:06 PM
Day 2 back on the iPhone 4s and it is like chalk and cheese compared to the GN with regard to the battery life and just using it is a pleasure.
A few examples of this are;
1/. On GN when writing a text message it would sometimes stop adding the keyed text
2/. It would for some reason go to Airplane mode without letting you know
3/. it would not remember your choose of favourite phone number even though I checked the box for remember this number
4/. Battery would only last 6 hours max on normal use, i.e. making calls, surfing the web, texting playing a few games

Glad to be back and the white phone with the Bronze aluminium bumper looks sweet

onthecouchagain
Feb 3, 2012, 07:07 PM
Valid points by all.

B777Forevar
Feb 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
Maybe if the current Nexus model was made by HTC and not by Samsung.
I hate HATE the plastic feel of Samsung products. They all feel cheap, unlike HTC.

lordofthereef
Feb 3, 2012, 08:00 PM
it just always seems like everyone thinks the iphone was the first phone like this.

Not everyone. Just the people that think Apple is the be all end all of tech. They are the same people that think they invented the mp3 player, the mouse, and a slew of other things. Their next invention sounds like it's going to be the TV. I cannot wait for that. It's going to be so awesome. Watching movies at home without having to go to the cinema. Sign me up!

silver8ack
Feb 3, 2012, 08:07 PM

Haha. Well I'm not sure why you still have an iPad with its antiquated OS. :)

Rampant.A.I.
Feb 3, 2012, 08:21 PM

Clearly, sir; you are truly a bleeding edge technology user. The fact that you've purchased a new Smart Phone makes it obviously so.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8FbJ4LiSo0Y/Tr8dlO327DI/AAAAAAAABpU/t4dBnBJtRVM/s1600/afedc5d0ce7ecf777de7323ced2a3742_400x1000.jpg

Walking down to your local store and buying a box off the shelf is not using "bleeding edge" technology.

lordofthereef
Feb 3, 2012, 08:27 PM
Walking down to your local store and buying a box off the shelf is not using "bleeding edge" technology.

What would qualify as bleeding edge, in your book? Something not yet released to the public? I am sincerely curious.
Here is the wiki definition:
Bleeding edge technology is a category of technologies incorporating those so new that they could have a high risk of being unreliable and lead adopters to incur greater expense in order to make use of them.[1][2] The term bleeding edge is formed as an allusion to "leading edge" and its synonym cutting edge, but tends to imply even greater advancement, albeit at a greater risk of "metaphorically cutting yourself" because of the unreliability of the software.[3]

ChaoticFury
Feb 4, 2012, 07:35 PM
This is the perfect thread for me. I recently left my carrier where I had an iPhone 4 and was interested in the Galaxy Nexus. I purchased the GSM version, here in Canada, and gave it a shot. Here is what I found.

Galaxy Nexus:

I found the screen, especially at low brightness to have almost a film grain effect, especially when scrolling slowing in the web browser. The other problem with AMOLED in my opinion is that the colours are less realistic. I found the screen to almost have a blueish hue the entire time, throwing off the whites unless the brightness was turned up significantly.

The battery life is not perfect, leaving the screen at 25% brightness and taking it through a day, by the time I got home around 6 or 7 pm I had 30-40%. Not terrible for using it during the day. It mostly consisted of light web browsing, texting, and watching videos on the train. Had I used it heavily I doubt it would have given me a few days but I never tested that.

To be honest, the weight was a little lighter than I prefer. I am unsure if this was because I was use to the weight of the iPhone 4 or if it was really just to light. I felt a lot that I was going to drop it. I watch videos all the time going to and from work and I felt the device was difficult to hold in the landscape position without shifting your fingers. This causes a problem because the power button is on the side. It's the thing I hate most. I hold my device on the side a lot and all I ever do is hit that while I am watching a movie.

The speaker, well nothing good can be said here. That thing is as quiet as it gets. I had to use headphones almost all of the time to hear anything. It's a tiny speaker and if you plan to watch anything on it without headphones that speaker will not be suffice for anything. Even during general speakerphone calls I could barely hear the person on the other end. It's awful, no way around it.

Speaking about size and the back cover, the size is at first big. Over time you will get use to it and it will be easier to use. Even when I began to like the size, I still could not use one hand to reach the top without feeling like I was going to drop it onto the sidewalk. The back cover does have a nice texture though, but I hate how it peels off. It feels cheap and looks even cheaper. Doesn't at all make you feel like your holding a $700 phone.

The camera is abysmal. Every shot was grainy and didn't look very good. It was just awful. The software bundled with it for instant shots and editing is fantastic and beats IOS by far. I wish they would bring it over to the iPhone.

The app store is pretty good. Android has a large variety of apps, but IMO they are sub par. If you have never experienced the IOS App store I can see how this would look good but coming the other way it was nothing but disappointment. Some of the apps are the same on both marketplaces but androids almost always are ad supported and do not include all of the features that IOS does. Take for example fruit ninja. IOS has had a ton of updates for this game with new blades and the addition of extra levels and so on. Fruit Ninja on android is basically how it looked when it originally came out. Angry birds has Ads with no option to buy an non ad version. That is what really bothered me the most. I don't mind apps being available but at least have a version where I can pay to have a clean game. On the plus side google makes it very easy to see what anything costs and one click payment is a breeze.

ICS software is greatly improved from previous versions of android. It is a light year ahead of gingerbread and is going to be great when Google puts more work into it. My biggest problem with it is that while it looks much nicer it feels half finished. Like it's just lacking. It's really hard to put into words why it feels that way but take it home for a week and you can see. I had a few problems with applications crashing, including the internet browser multiple times and a few apps. I can't say this has never happened on my iPhone so it happens to everybody. It is a vast improvement and everyone should try it.

After about a week I very much missed the simplicity of IOS and left android and purchased a 4S instead. There is just something about IOS that without words makes it better than Android IMO. I think that the main selling point of Android is that you can customize it, and after I set it up the first day to the way I wanted I never changed it for the next six days and never felt the need to. I used the app drawer for getting to my apps, and my home screen just had a weather widget and my calendar. I think subconsciously I was looking for that IOS app interface and that is why I used the app drawer. I find things in IOS easier to get to, in some areas and harder in others. As far as the Galaxy line, I think whatever Google puts out next could really be something but they need to control the overflow of Android devices.

I have another opinion about Android and the "war" with IOS. Samsung has made the last two iterations of the Nexus line. I don't think they have put their full hearts into it. I think they put out a nice phone but reserve the best for their own lines of phones, Galaxy S lines. I think this is a major stumbling point for Google because their heart isn't really into it. Apple on the other hand has Samsung make specific parts and then makes sure what they put out is perfect in their eyes. I think Samsung really wants to beat IOS but wants to do so with their own line of products and not something that people associate with Google more so than Samsung. Most people say the Google Nexus or Galaxy Nexus but rarely is it referred to as Samsung Galaxy Nexus in common practice. Just my opinion but just wanted to see if anyone else agreed.

If you want to go Android definitely stay with the Nexus line but as far as 4S vs Nexus I would throw it to the 4S. I will stick with mine for the future and into whatever Apple brings out next.

P.S- Sorry for the wall of text.

lilo777
Feb 4, 2012, 09:48 PM
This is the perfect thread for me. I recently left my carrier where I had an iPhone 4 and was interested in the Galaxy Nexus. I purchased the GSM version, here in Canada, and gave it a shot. Here is what I found.

Galaxy Nexus:

I found the screen, especially at low brightness to have almost a film grain effect, especially when scrolling slowing in the web browser. The other problem with AMOLED in my opinion is that the colours are less realistic. I found the screen to almost have a blueish hue the entire time, throwing off the whites unless the brightness was turned up significantly.

The battery life is not perfect, leaving the screen at 25% brightness and taking it through a day, by the time I got home around 6 or 7 pm I had 30-40%. Not terrible for using it during the day. It mostly consisted of light web browsing, texting, and watching videos on the train. Had I used it heavily I doubt it would have given me a few days but I never tested that.

To be honest, the weight was a little lighter than I prefer. I am unsure if this was because I was use to the weight of the iPhone 4 or if it was really just to light. I felt a lot that I was going to drop it. I watch videos all the time going to and from work and I felt the device was difficult to hold in the landscape position without shifting your fingers. This causes a problem because the power button is on the side. It's the thing I hate most. I hold my device on the side a lot and all I ever do is hit that while I am watching a movie.

The speaker, well nothing good can be said here. That thing is as quiet as it gets. I had to use headphones almost all of the time to hear anything. It's a tiny speaker and if you plan to watch anything on it without headphones that speaker will not be suffice for anything. Even during general speakerphone calls I could barely hear the person on the other end. It's awful, no way around it.

Speaking about size and the back cover, the size is at first big. Over time you will get use to it and it will be easier to use. Even when I began to like the size, I still could not use one hand to reach the top without feeling like I was going to drop it onto the sidewalk. The back cover does have a nice texture though, but I hate how it peels off. It feels cheap and looks even cheaper. Doesn't at all make you feel like your holding a $700 phone.

The camera is abysmal. Every shot was grainy and didn't look very good. It was just awful. The software bundled with it for instant shots and editing is fantastic and beats IOS by far. I wish they would bring it over to the iPhone.

The app store is pretty good. Android has a large variety of apps, but IMO they are sub par. If you have never experienced the IOS App store I can see how this would look good but coming the other way it was nothing but disappointment. Some of the apps are the same on both marketplaces but androids almost always are ad supported and do not include all of the features that IOS does. Take for example fruit ninja. IOS has had a ton of updates for this game with new blades and the addition of extra levels and so on. Fruit Ninja on android is basically how it looked when it originally came out. Angry birds has Ads with no option to buy an non ad version. That is what really bothered me the most. I don't mind apps being available but at least have a version where I can pay to have a clean game. On the plus side google makes it very easy to see what anything costs and one click payment is a breeze.

ICS software is greatly improved from previous versions of android. It is a light year ahead of gingerbread and is going to be great when Google puts more work into it. My biggest problem with it is that while it looks much nicer it feels half finished. Like it's just lacking. It's really hard to put into words why it feels that way but take it home for a week and you can see. I had a few problems with applications crashing, including the internet browser multiple times and a few apps. I can't say this has never happened on my iPhone so it happens to everybody. It is a vast improvement and everyone should try it.

After about a week I very much missed the simplicity of IOS and left android and purchased a 4S instead. There is just something about IOS that without words makes it better than Android IMO. I think that the main selling point of Android is that you can customize it, and after I set it up the first day to the way I wanted I never changed it for the next six days and never felt the need to. I used the app drawer for getting to my apps, and my home screen just had a weather widget and my calendar. I think subconsciously I was looking for that IOS app interface and that is why I used the app drawer. I find things in IOS easier to get to, in some areas and harder in others. As far as the Galaxy line, I think whatever Google puts out next could really be something but they need to control the overflow of Android devices.

I have another opinion about Android and the "war" with IOS. Samsung has made the last two iterations of the Nexus line. I don't think they have put their full hearts into it. I think they put out a nice phone but reserve the best for their own lines of phones, Galaxy S lines. I think this is a major stumbling point for Google because their heart isn't really into it. Apple on the other hand has Samsung make specific parts and then makes sure what they put out is perfect in their eyes. I think Samsung really wants to beat IOS but wants to do so with their own line of products and not something that people associate with Google more so than Samsung. Most people say the Google Nexus or Galaxy Nexus but rarely is it referred to as Samsung Galaxy Nexus in common practice. Just my opinion but just wanted to see if anyone else agreed.

If you want to go Android definitely stay with the Nexus line but as far as 4S vs Nexus I would throw it to the 4S. I will stick with mine for the future and into whatever Apple brings out next.

P.S- Sorry for the wall of text.

As you admitted, your opinion of SGN was heavily influenced by your prior experiences (with iPhone). That's expected. We all function this way. For example, for me after getting used to Samsung Galaxy SII phone iPhone feels heavy as a brick. I do not think that Samsung phones are too light. They are light but not that light. It'd not like they weigh like a match box or something.

Also, after using Samsung phones (SGS1, SGS2 and SGN), the shape of iPhone feels just atrocious. It's totally anti-ergonomic - sharp edges everywhere. It's good only in a sense that because of sharp edges you are constantly aware of the position of the phone in the hand.

Having realistic colors on the phone is hardly a benefit. What for? For playing Angry Birds? Most of the time phone screen displays pictures with synthetics colors. Should we care about natural skin tones on the phone? What for? The screens are just too small for viewing the pictures. Yeah, one can show a picture to a friend once in a while but that's usually because there is something funny on the pic. OLED panel contrast (being several orders of magnitude better than that of LCD) has much more significant impact on the picture than natural colors.

And as far as "web browsing, texting, and watching videos on the train" is concerned, screen size (and resolution) is the single most important feature and SGN excels in this department.

ChaoticFury
Feb 5, 2012, 08:07 AM
As you admitted, your opinion of SGN was heavily influenced by your prior experiences (with iPhone). That's expected. We all function this way. For example, for me after getting used to Samsung Galaxy SII phone iPhone feels heavy as a brick. I do not think that Samsung phones are too light. They are light but not that light. It'd not like they weigh like a match box or something.

Also, after using Samsung phones (SGS1, SGS2 and SGN), the shape of iPhone feels just atrocious. It's totally anti-ergonomic - sharp edges everywhere. It's good only in a sense that because of sharp edges you are constantly aware of the position of the phone in the hand.

Having realistic colors on the phone is hardly a benefit. What for? For playing Angry Birds? Most of the time phone screen displays pictures with synthetics colors. Should we care about natural skin tones on the phone? What for? The screens are just too small for viewing the pictures. Yeah, one can show a picture to a friend once in a while but that's usually because there is something funny on the pic. OLED panel contrast (being several orders of magnitude better than that of LCD) has much more significant impact on the picture than natural colors.

And as far as "web browsing, texting, and watching videos on the train" is concerned, screen size (and resolution) is the single most important feature and SGN excels in this department.

Your absolutely right, my opinion of the G Nexus was influenced heavily by the Apple products I have used in the past. I actually had not owned that many Apple products prior to this, it was an HTC Desire that stopped being supported just a few months after I had bought it. That was a huge turn off to me and I remedied it by buying a phone I knew Google would support.

As far as the weight goes, it's really a person preference thing. I have bigger hands and I prefer things with a bit more weight to them. It's just a personal preference thing. My major concern with the Nexus was that I was going to drop it.

As far as the shape goes, I can't say I disagree. I was never in love with the 4 or 4S shape. I much preferred the 3GS shape with that curved design and curved edges. It's the same with the macbook pros. I hate how the edges are just cut aluminium, I have hurt my writs on numerous occasions like this.

The colours is going to be from person to person. I prefer realistic colours for a few reasons. They look the way they were intended to look and it's a bit easier on my eyes. For instance I just came back from Japan and my girlfriend took all of our photos and enhanced them in Photoshop and put them up for people. Then everyone freaked out and thought how amazing Japan looked. Were the colours really that bright or vibrant? Not really but people like that enhanced look. I prefer the ways my eyes normally see colours. I am just not a huge fan of OLED and some people are. It's an opinion thing.

The Nexus definitely has a great size screen, it's a bit big for me but if the iPhone was maybe 4 or 4.2 I would be pretty happy.

It's not that the Nexus doesn't excel, it just doesn't excel enough for me to really make it my daily driver. I just wanted to throw my opinion in so people could see exactly why I came back to the iPhone to help them in their decision.

I noticed you missed a few other of my points so I will assume you agreed with them.

PacificBeach
Feb 5, 2012, 11:27 AM
30 to 45 Mbps on the Nexus on a regular basis nuff said.
Apple get you sheet and catch Lol.

*now i am awaiting all the apple fanboys that will justify non 4G on the iphone and say they really don't need such fast speeds* Lol

ChaoticFury
Feb 5, 2012, 11:43 AM

*now i am awaiting all thr fanboys that will justify non 4G on the iphone and say they really don't need such fast speeds* Lol

Wouldn't it depend on what you use your phone for?

PacificBeach
Feb 5, 2012, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't it depend on what you use your phone for?

no! speed is speed! faster = better

ChaoticFury
Feb 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
no! speed is speed! faster = better

Couldn't the argument be made that battery life is better than speed? We know that LTE does not go well with battery life unless you pack a massive battery in there. This year we should see both in one package though.

Dwalls90
Feb 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
I WAS seriously considering this phone, until I read that the battery life was as piss poor as the other LTE phones wavering around maybe 4 hours tops of usage.

PacificBeach
Feb 5, 2012, 02:18 PM
Couldn't the argument be made that battery life is better than speed? We know that LTE does not go well with battery life unless you pack a massive battery in there. This year we should see both in one package though.
No! Because the extended battery is only 24 dollars and give you more battery life than what u get on the iphone. So nice try!

ChaoticFury
Feb 5, 2012, 03:46 PM
No! Because the extended battery is only 24 dollars and give you more battery life than what u get on the iphone. So nice try!

Why do I need to pay more to get the phone to function the way it should to begin with? Why not get an efficient Qualcomm chipset that reduces that power consumption that LTE has on phones and not have to make customers shell out more money, or put the extended battery in there to begin with. I get android is all about choices but how about the choice to have my phone last all day and be efficient when I take it out of the box.

Tarzanman
Feb 5, 2012, 03:56 PM
The irony of that statement is despite all this talk about Android providing more choices, there's an inconspicuous lack of such choice for high end phone with a midsize screen. Either you have to buy a large phone with a 4.3"+ screen or buy some shoddy mid range or low end phones.

Personally I'd like to have something "mid size" like the iPhone with a high density display as well as the best fit&finish possible in hardware. There no such product offered by any carrier near me.

I don't see any irony.
1. The iPhone's 3.5" screen is not mid-size. It is small unless you are comparing it to dumb-phones or keyboard-laden portrait phones

2. Only the iphone 4 and 4S have that small screen size and resolution. This isn't a limitation caused Android's many hardware manufacturers, this is Apple deliberately getting exclusivity from the iphone 4 screen manufacturers.

All of Android's screen resolutions are currently available on screens of more than one size (except for the 720p of the Galaxy Nexus). 4.3" is not 4.65" and 4.65" is not 5". Simply waving your hand and saying that anything above 4" is 'big' and therefore not a different choice is being disingenuous.

3. You should clarify what you mean by fit and finish. No other phone manufacturer so far has made the mistake of sandwiching the device between two pieces of glass.

There are android phones with & without unibody construction and/or irreplaceable batteries, keyboards, different processors, expandable memory and even OS variant.

Complaining that you can't buy an Android phone that looks and feels like an iPhone 4/4S and chalking it up to 'lack-of-choice' is a fairly ridiculous statement to make.

"Hey, I can't find a burger away from McDonald's that tastes like a big Mac! Hardees, Wendy's, Burger King, Carl Jr, Sonic and Fuddruckers don't offer me enough choices!"

....see how silly that is?

lordofthereef
Feb 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
Why do I need to pay more to get the phone to function the way it should to begin with?

He is saying that for only $25 you get longer than the competitor battery life. If you don't want longer than the competitor, you can certainly stick with the way it comes. A buddy of mine has this phone and uses it heavily for work, and also for pleasure. He is able to get through a day of use no problem, and he does get 4G data at his work. We all know that mileage varies, even with the iPhone. The statements I see here that these phones get 4 hours AT BEST are pretty gross overstatements, IMO.

----------

*now i am awaiting all the apple fanboys that will justify non 4G on the iphone and say they really don't need such fast speeds* Lol

I'll bite. I certainly don't need those speeds. They would be nice, but 3G is more than adequate. I use both platforms (but no windows phone yet for whatever reason) and 4G has never been on my radar as must have functionality. Will I toss a 4G phone aside BECAUSE it's 4G? Certainly not. But I am also not going to toss a phone aside that DOESN'T have 4G simply for that fact alone. I think it's inevitable that high end smartphones are essentially all going to have LTE radios in them here within a year or so.

ChaoticFury
Feb 5, 2012, 04:07 PM
"He is saying that for only $25 you get longer than the competitor battery life. If you don't want longer than the competitor, you can certainly stick with the way it comes. A buddy of mine has this phone and uses it heavily for work, and also for pleasure. He is able to get through a day of use no problem, and he does get 4G data at his work. We all know that mileage varies, even with the iPhone. The statements I see here that these phones get 4 hours AT BEST are pretty gross overstatements, IMO."

I get what he means but I guess where I am coming from is that sometimes tech moves to fast. Speeds, spec upgrades etc. I hate it when companies use something as a selling point, and then it's either half there or not ready for daily use. Apple does it, Google does it, everyone does it. When they did testing if nobody could get through a day with 4G data usage they should have waited until it was ready.

Mileage absolutely does vary with the iPhone. I have had days where it just runs dry, my only qualm with the galaxy nexus was that it drained significantly faster than my IOS device. It certainly gets over 4 hours with moderate use, BUT if you keep the screen on continuously over that four hours along with surfing the web or otherwise the G Nexus will run it's battery out after that amount of time. I saw it and even when you look at the battery use for screen time I got roughly an on time of 3 to 4.5 hours of screen time, depending on brightness.

The real thing here is if the phone works for you use it, if it doesn't don't. Everyone has an opinion and one phone will not make everyone happy.

iceterminal
Feb 5, 2012, 04:08 PM
Well you can jump as far as you possiblyl can, but since Google is dropping developer support for all CDMA (http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/02/05/0422238/google-pulls-support-for-cdma-devices) devices (aka Galaxy Nexus) I'm sure the future will be changing for Verizon and Android devices.

sk1wbw
Feb 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
Not everyone. Just the people that think Apple is the be all end all of tech. They are the same people that think they invented the mp3 player, the mouse, and a slew of other things. Their next invention sounds like it's going to be the TV. I cannot wait for that. It's going to be so awesome. Watching movies at home without having to go to the cinema. Sign me up!

Only people younger than 10 believe this. Not every Apple user believes this. Some of us are old to remember computers before Apple and Dell and Microsoft.

Some of used Wangs and Osbourne and Kaypro. So not every Apple user believes that Apple invented everything.

----------

And back on subject, the only phone that I've ever seen today that would even stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting me from the iPhone would be the Galaxy Note. And I'd have to be paid to use it, but that does look a nice ass phone.

lordofthereef
Feb 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
Only people younger than 10 believe this. Not every Apple user believes this. Some of us are old to remember computers before Apple and Dell and Microsoft.

Some of used Wangs and Osbourne and Kaypro. So not every Apple user believes that Apple invented everything.

Either you misread my post, or I am simply unsure what you are going on about. I never claimed every Apple user thought this. :confused:

----------

Well you can jump as far as you possiblyl can, but since Google is dropping developer support for all CDMA (http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/02/05/0422238/google-pulls-support-for-cdma-devices) devices (aka Galaxy Nexus) I'm sure the future will be changing for Verizon and Android devices.

You do realize that the GNex was actually out on GSM networks in Europe before Verizon got the CDMA version, right? VZW simply has exclusivity rights on the GNex, for a short time. Also, Verizon is going LTE, which is very much a GSM technology. If they can get the coverage they want in the time frame they are speaking they don't have much to worry about. Also, this could just be some political BS with Google trying to put pressure where they feel it's needed.

ChazUK
Feb 5, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

That ended up being a mistake caused by Droid-Life.

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/02/03/fear-not-google-will-still-support-the-verizon-galaxy-nexus/

Earlier this afternoon Droid-Life noticed something strange: the Android developer devices page had been modified to remove the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, leading the site to question whether Google may have removed support for the device because of its spat with Verizon over Google Wallet. Which would stand to infuriate a lot of new Galaxy Nexus users (including myself), who are looking forward to receiving device updates directly from Google and not having to wait for Verizon to get around to pushing their own releases.

Thankfully, we’ve confirmed this isn’t the case: Google says it will indeed be updating the Verizon Galaxy Nexus in the future

The changes to the development pages were made due to issues with custom CDMA apk binaries and the AOSP.

Google are still supporting the thing thankfully! :) Lots of baseless panic thanks yo the assumptions from Droid-Life.

Vegastouch
Feb 5, 2012, 04:22 PM

The iPhone also isnt the first touchscreen either so though they made it more popular, revolutionized, whatever you want to call it, they didnt invent anything. Complete fragmentation? Dont think so, ICS fixed a lot of that.
It doesnt matter to me which one you like but your giving all the props to Apple for inventing all of this when they didnt and no props to Android for passing Apple up after Apple had a two year headstart. Id say Apple made it more popular because of the Apps and still at first resisted outsiders making them til Steve realized he could make a ton of money from them.

I like both platforms and both devices and have a PC and a MacBook and had an iPhone for two years but prefer Android for all it does and what i can do beyond stock when it is rooted which is amazing when i have to jailbreak the iPhone and still not able to do what i can with Android stock.

I dont care who has more Apps because Android has 500,000 of them now and i only use about 100 and still dont even know about many good ones yet.

sk1wbw
Feb 5, 2012, 04:31 PM
Either you misread my post, or I am simply unsure what you are going on about. I never claimed every Apple user thought this. :confused:

----------

I know what you were talking about. I'm just claryfing for others.

lordofthereef
Feb 5, 2012, 04:33 PM
The iPhone also isnt the first touchscreen either so though they made it more popular, revolutionized, whatever you want to call it, they didnt invent anything. Complete fragmentation? Dont think so, ICS fixed a lot of that.
It doesnt matter to me which one you like but your giving all the props to Apple for inventing all of this when they didnt and no props to Android for passing Apple up after Apple had a two year headstart. Id say Apple made it more popular because of the Apps and still at first resisted outsiders making them til Steve realized he could make a ton of money from them.

I like both platforms and both devices and have a PC and a MacBook and had an iPhone for two years but prefer Android for all it does and what i can do beyond stock when it is rooted which is amazing when i have to jailbreak the iPhone and still not able to do what i can with Android stock.

I dont care who has more Apps because Android has 500,000 of them now and i only use about 100 and still dont even know about many good ones yet.

Here is what you have to understand. To the Apple die-hard, Apple revolutionizes, and everyone else steals. We are slowly beginning to see that things go both ways, at least in the eyes of the law.

Vegastouch
Feb 5, 2012, 04:34 PM
I have a Vibrant. I am slightly tempted to get a newer phone (maybe the Galaxy Nexus), but when it comes down to it what am I buying?

I already have unlimited data (after 5GB they restrict it to EDGE)
I already have tethering (use it at work every day)
I already have spare batteries and battery chargers
I can already view avi, mkv with subtitles on my phone

2. A better camera
3. A front facing camera
4. A nicer/bigger screen

I too still have the Vibrant and i am going to wait for the Galaxy S3 to come out before i upgrade. The GN is great but the no microcard slot is a deal breaker for me. Considered it but i have all my music on my microcard and though i could just use Google music, id rather play it from my card and not use data.

My Vibrant is running ICS so im still good for a while waiting for GS3 to come out.