Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Weekly Photo Contest December 20th - December 27th

Topic: Self-Portrait
Open to your interpretation of course, just convince me, that your photo would have been worse off (less interesting), if it were taken earlier/later or from a different location ...

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'll go.....

This is Chicago reflected in the "Bean" (actually called Cloud Gate) in Chicago's Millennium Park. I am in this picture (blue shirt with camera).

Attachments

• Chicago in Bean-1-retouched.JPG
    Chicago in Bean-1-retouched.JPG
    858.9 KB · Views: 285

Blakeco123

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I can't convince you this would have been worse if taken at a different time, but I have hundreds like this and this is my favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_5855.jpg
    IMG_5855.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 213

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Contest is now closed to further submissions. I'll have the judgement this evening US-Central time.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'll have it done tonight. I've been terribly busy with the family for the holidays. My apologies.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I'll have it done tonight. I've been terribly busy with the family for the holidays. My apologies.

I know exactly what he's dealing with. I haven't had time to look through all the pictures I've made the past 2-3 days until tonight for the same reason.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'll go.....

This is Chicago reflected in the "Bean" (actually called Cloud Gate) in Chicago's Millennium Park. I am in this picture (blue shirt with camera).

I see what you were trying to do here. I had a hard time trying to find you in the photo and I'm glad you put an explanation. Without it, I would have been lost. Not sure if this would be truly considered a self-portrait however.

Even with a swivel LCD-screen, self-portraits with DSLRs are difficult if you have short arms...

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6547779295_92c29569b2_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Self-portrait by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr
I love this photo. Great lighting, great clarity, great color and a great looking subject (if I may be so bold). I was a bit curious why you were in full winter gear inside. Nevertheless, you made great use of that swivel screen and framed yourself nicely. Good photo.

This would be me in one of my more somber moods...

Interesting shot and sinister. Are those real tattoos on your face? I like what you did with the lighting, having only your face show.

Cereal Box Ideas
Thank goodness for that Frosted Flakes box..
I like the idea behind this one. I'm a sucker for black and white photos. I do question the who you framed the words as there is some dead space on the left side of the photo. Being that you're centered, not sure if this is what you intended.

I can't convince you this would have been worse if taken at a different time, but I have hundreds like this and this is my favorite.
I'll be honest, I wasn't really feeling this photo. I think it's a bit underexposed and doesn't quite pop.

Big Buddha in Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, Hong Kong.
No one told me I was going to have to do over thirty to find the right shot haha

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6558371601_bab8e0f551_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Ngong Ping Big Bhudda by pmxperience, on Flickr
I can dig it. Love the buddha (??) in the background. Just wish it was a bit more in focus, but that's just me. Nicely exposed, great color.

Is this film? That's what I wondered when I saw the photo. Has one of those classic looks to it.

The boys.

(iPhone)

I like the concept behind the photo. The only fault I have with it is that the sun is distracting me from you and the dog. Nice choice of framing however.

[url=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5248/5215421185_f8ccc99851_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Self portrait - Inside a lens by Schtumple, on Flickr

This is a reflection of a reflection of a reflection (I think :p), used a mirror to shoot into, then focused on the internal lens glass to get the shot of myself.

Clever girl. Very creative. The white letters are a bit distracting though. I feel my eye should be drawn up the lens to your face.

I like "eye" photos, but I'm not sure what is within the eye. The earth? Or some sort of disrupted water in a pond? Perhaps choose a different aperture so that the eyelashes are all in focus (or out of).

Winners:

1) acearchie
2) pmxperience
3) Melizard

This contest showed me that self portraits come in all shapes and meanings. I chosed this category because, since it's cold out, I'll be doing my own self portraits (in which I've never done, since I prefer street photography). This gave me great ideas. Thank you everyone. Congrats to Acearchie!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for the judging and thanks for the win Razeus!

Yes it was shot on film, Ilford film in a 500 ELM Hasselblad to be precise!

I will have a new contest up in a few mins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.