PDA

View Full Version : When will Yahoo! update Messenger for Mac?

weev
May 31, 2005, 01:13 AM
Seriously folks

It's been, it seems like years, since they updated Messenger.

Yahoo! Messenger 2.5.3 (OS X) has been the latest for how long?

It doesn't even animate emoticons!

The people at Yahoo don't seem to throw much energy behind the Mac platform hence the featureless world we have to live in.

I wonder if Google will make an IM?

weev

russed
May 31, 2005, 02:08 AM
try using adium (http://www.adiumx.com) instead - it wil probably be more useful! it has animated emocions!

Darwin
May 31, 2005, 04:06 AM
As russed said try Adium,

but yeah Yahoo does have a lazy attitude towards Macs, they won't update their messager (to actually include audio with video chats :rolleyes: ) and when you try to get into their music site they required Netscape 4.7 or something like that

I don't see this changing soon so I don't really care anymore

vouder17
May 31, 2005, 04:50 AM
As russed said try Adium,

but yeah Yahoo does have a lazy attitude towards Macs, they won't update their messager (to actually include audio with video chats :rolleyes: ) and when you try to get into their music site they required Netscape 4.7 or something like that

I don't see this changing soon so I don't really care anymore

Yeah same can be said for Microsoft, with respect to MSN messenger and Windows Media player. The last time MSN messenger was updated was 2001!!!! the same goes for WMP..in 2003. Just move along to Adium, much better than all the rest. The only problem is that there is no audio/video chat. But it will come one day..soon..i hope

thequicksilver
May 31, 2005, 06:08 AM
The last time MSN messenger was updated was 2001!!!!

Patently untrue - versions 3 and 4 have both come since then. Granted, not including all the features we want, but what you say is untrue.

I do feel though that Yahoo's attitude towards the Mac is worse - the version for OS X is an absolute joke. At least MSNM suggests that a bit of effort was put into it - YIM for OS X looks like the old version I used under Windows 95 some years ago.

vouder17
May 31, 2005, 07:18 AM
Patently untrue - versions 3 and 4 have both come since then. Granted, not including all the features we want, but what you say is untrue.

Ok fair enough... i just looked at the about menu and it said 2001, so sorry for the mislead info. But what this does show is that it hasn't really developed much over the past few years. I would like to see a MSN 7 for mac, with all the same features etc. The Mac OS X platform doesn't really have a good IM service.

weev
Jun 3, 2005, 03:23 AM
try using adium (http://www.adiumx.com) instead - it wil probably be more useful! it has animated emocions!

yes, adium is good, only thing is that it doesnt allow you to be invisible and also visible att he same time, so like i have my work buddies on there, and i'm visable, but i want to not be seen by yahoo crew

also, it doesn't tell me when i have new mail :)

cheers
weev