Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.C. Kikuyama H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Pearl City, Hawaii
Aloha,

Im new to the Mac World and Ive found that this board seems to have some pretty good info on the Mac. Recently, I purchased a g5 dual 2.0, the older version with the pci-x slots and upgradeable 8gb of RAM.

I believe that I did fairly well with the purchase price: 1799.88 out the door. Purchased the Tiger upgrade and the Apple Care plan for the g5 and a 23" CD (1499.00).

My question is, what should I invest my savings in? More RAM, a higher end video card, other suggestions?

Money isnt really an issue, but after comparing the different models, the dual 2.0 g5 seemed like the most cost effective for what my present needs are. This workstation will mainly be used for music production and eventually DVD video creation. I dont really need a DL DVD burner or other storage as most projects will be backed up to an external drive.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dale

Edit: its the base configuration with 512mb RAM, 160GB HD, NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra 64mb... sorry for the omission.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
First step is probably RAM but we need to know how much you have and what you want to use the G5 for. Next, I'd upgrade the GPU, but only after spending some serious dosh on the RAM.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Depends on what you are going to be using it for. RAM is probably the only upgrade that needs to be made, if at all. Unless you are a gamer or running programs that require a stronger GPU.

Nice buy though, that's quite a setup.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
If money is no object, and if you plan on doing serious audio or video work, then stick 8GB of ram in that puppy! That will keep things humming. As for the video card, it is way less important than the ram is for your uses. The video card in your computer now will serve your needs fairly well. The likely amount of ram you have will not. Feel free to get the best video card as well, but don't expect as big a jump in performance as you get from the ram. Also, make sure you get a dedicated hard drive to record all your audio and video files to.

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
RAM, RAM, RAM and RAM.

8 GB is probably a little on the indulgent side, but a couple of 1 GB sticks would give you a noticable speed and usability boost.

Then think about a fat second hard drive, possibly a 10,000 rpm one.

"Money isn't really an issue..." - You know how to hurt people huh?

:D

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Deebster is right!

You should be fine with 2 GB RAM.

Reviews are mixed on the 10K Raptor Drives.

While the quality is second to none, they can be a bit noisy under load
from what I've heard.

Your savings?

ProTools M-Powered, Logic 7 Pro and an M-Audio 1814, mike preamps,
mikes, cables, and a good mixer will set you back just a wee bit.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
yeah i would just recommend RAM...The video card etc doesn't seem that important to what you are doing. Oh and get a nice audio card. Like Neut said m-audio has some nice products.

D.C. Kikuyama H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Pearl City, Hawaii
Thanks for the recommendations. After reading other posts, I had a pretty good idea that RAM was going to be up there at the top of the list. Looks like I will have to do some more research on which RAM to purchase. I know that some people here like Crucial and that some prefer Apple. Pretty big price difference between the two. However I think Ill start at 4GB of RAM(4x1).

"What type of music 'production'?"

Music is a hobby and I want to do more original creations from scratch. I have friends that are musicians and they want to produce a CD for friends and family, (Ukele, Slack key guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals). Lastly, I DJ and like to edit material as well as do remix work. I work with a local radio station and do mixes for airplay. Pro Tools has already been considered and will probably be the next major purchase.

Sorry about the money isnt really an issue comment. Ive been saving and planning on doing this for several years and I want to do this right. I have done alot of research prior to asking you folks here on this board. This is a continuation of that research and I thank you for your input.

Eventually, I may want to do video work that involves weddings. Here in Hawaii, the "video" is THE main event at most weddings. I guess you would have to either live here or been to a local style wedding to appreciate that. So yes, a business that includes video and DJ'ing may be in the future.

Thanks again for your input.

Aloha, Dale

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
D.C. Kikuyama H said:
However I think Ill start at 4GB of RAM(4x1).

"What type of music 'production'?"

Music is a hobby and I want to do more original creations from scratch. I have friends that are musicians and they want to produce a CD for friends and family, (Ukele, Slack key guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals). Lastly, I DJ and like to edit material as well as do remix work. I work with a local radio station and do mixes for airplay. Pro Tools has already been considered and will probably be the next major purchase.

ProTools? If you're already familiar with it then go ahead, but otherwise id recommend Live+Reason and or Logic for a DAW. DSP Quattro for wav editing/hosting/stereo recording. ProTools is just a bloated host. It's not even running on Tiger yet ... although i think they just announced HD for Tiger use.

I Dj/remix/produce. I currently use Live+Reason, DSP Quattro, a Numark CDX and some outboard gear (MicroKorg + midi stuff).

Have fun with the new Mac.

btw- OWC has great deals on RAM ... 4GB is probably over kill for what you'll be doing. I'd say another 2GB should do it.

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.