Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I just did the SU for iTunes 10.5.2 and it is taking forever at "writing files".

The download seemed to go ok, was about 100MB or so, but although the blue progress bar has moved forward it has been about 30 minutes and still not finished.

Any idea if this behavior is normal for this update?

Will I lose my library and playlists if I re-install the entire app?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
What Mac

I just did the SU for iTunes 10.5.2 and it is taking forever at "writing files".

The download seemed to go ok, was about 100MB or so, but although the blue progress bar has moved forward it has been about 30 minutes and still not finished.

Are you using? It's not normal, mine took about 5 minutes to complete. You won't Lose your library, but I'm worried the update is taking so long to install.

Process should not take that long. DON'T kill it, phone Apple if you have AC.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I wish mine didn't update, cos now it freezes about 20 secs after opening. I get to choose my first song and after that I need to quit and reopen it.

Seriously Apple, spend less time suing and more time getting your Windows software ports to actually work. I'm not the only one I know with this problem, nor is it the first update that's done this.

If I uninstall will I lose all my apps and data?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Are You Using. A Windows PC?

I ask because I had a world of pain updating a freinds Win7 PC. It ended up with a complete OS reinstall.

NY guitarist? I'm an expat, coming home soon.....how is the old place?

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I ask because I had a world of pain updating a freinds Win7 PC. It ended up with a complete OS reinstall.

NY guitarist? I'm an expat, coming home soon.....how is the old place?

Sorry forgot to mention that this is a 2008 MP running 10.6.8.

I wound up trying to reinstall it from a freshly DL'd copy but it stalls saying something like "finishing other installations first".... wth?

So I rebooted in safe mode and installed no problem. hmmm... Indication of a bigger problem?

Haha... and I'm in Los Angeles right now, but really missing NYC big time!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Interesting

Sorry forgot to mention that this is a 2008 MP running 10.6.8.

I wound up trying to reinstall it from a freshly DL'd copy but it stalls saying something like "finishing other installations first".... wth?

So I rebooted in safe mode and installed no problem. hmmm... Indication of a bigger problem?

Haha... and I'm in Los Angeles right now, but really missing NYC big time!

Most Mac iTunes updates seem to have gone well. I hope things settle down, might be an idea to run DU and check the drive after you have sorted stuff out.

I'd Like your opinion on something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoXjJPR5Sk

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
For some reason whenever I update my iTunes I have a similar issue except mine takes about 30 minutes to install. Yet it downloads in like 1 minute.

BlackTofu

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Actually you can back up your library and playlist to another disk, and then when you reinstall iTunes, you can copy them back to default folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.