PDA

View Full Version : Where does your laptop go with you?

jonat8
May 31, 2005, 07:38 AM
I'm just wondering where people take their laptops. Personally my PowerBook goes almost everywhere with me, unless I'm going to somewhere like the supermarket. But if I go into town or go and visit friends/family it goes with me. I won't take it somewhere where it's liable to have to be left alone or where it might get wet or dirty etc. But that's not often I go somewhere like that! But on train journeys etc. it's great for beating boredom.

I was also wondering what peripherals etc. you take with you? I always pack the power adaptor, my iPod and the FireWire cable, a USB pen drive, a set of headphones and my digital camera. It's quite a lot but on occasion I've impressed friends by taking some photos and showing them an iPhoto slideshow, or burning them a CD from iTunes or getting online in a cafe using WiFi or GPRS.

And surprisingly it doesn't weight much either, quite reasonable. Not like my last (PC) laptop which was a real brick and I didn't take that anywhere unless I had to!

I'd like to hear your views :)
Thanks.

shadowmoses
May 31, 2005, 07:45 AM
When i had an iBook i would take it with me to college, on holiday and other time's i needed it like going to a freinds house, otherwise it would stay parked on my desk....

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 31, 2005, 07:56 AM
I take my iBook everywhere I need it or might need it. University for taking notes, friends for "it-support", family gatherings for genealogy info, short holidays for work/ipod charging and syncing, etc.

(I haven't been on a long holiday since I got my iBook and iPod mini, but I didn't usually bring my Pismo on holidays lasting 1 week or upwards, wouldn't be a holiday if I did. ;))

iSaint
May 31, 2005, 09:10 AM
I take my iBook most everywhere. I take notes at school, I take it on every out of town trip I take (it's fun finding free wi-fi). I take my charger, iPod & fireware connector, headphones. I've almost given up using my PDA since my iBook is so portable.

ZLurker
May 31, 2005, 09:21 AM
I bring my iBook almost everywhere. First of all, i bring it back and forth between my work and home (since i refuce to use the pc at work) :rolleyes: everyday, so its nice to have a small computer.
Its also nice to bring it to friends, family or downtown to a café.
I totally love it.
No matter how good my future desktop mac will be, i will always use a small laptop.

Dagless
May 31, 2005, 09:25 AM
my 12" PowerBook just goes between my house and uni, one of the parts i go to is 4 miles away from me but the bus takes an hour (its grim up north? nah, its beautiful, busses just go everywhere though).

its not coming to spain with me when i go for a little 12 day holiday but my grandparents have just bought a house in Poland, all they need is wireless broadband and im moving there :cool:

in comparison; my 15" PC laptop is never leaving this house. its too big and heavy to even consider throwing it into your bag and taking it with you.

and just like ZLurker; i will always use a small laptop rather than a desktop. no matter the power of the bigger computer, small form factors are just beautiful and ive still to find a keyboard as godawesome as my PB's.

BlackDan
May 31, 2005, 09:37 AM
I only take my iBook where I'm gonna use it. So mostly work (for the non-work related stuff :cool: ) Friends, family, but that's it. Of course I also use it at home a lot, but then I don't have to take it with me of course (well, not further than the garden anyway :D )

iGary
May 31, 2005, 09:47 AM
Work, photo shoots - everywhere.

joecool85
May 31, 2005, 09:50 AM
I've found that normally I don't need to take it with me everywhere. When I take it to class for notes, I end up on here lol. My university has wifi pretty much everywhere, Go UMAINE! Anyway lol. But I do take it to most of my New Media courses as I can use it in conjunction with the macs in the lab.

Studawg7
May 31, 2005, 09:52 AM
into the deep graduate student dungeons of the Aero-Mech Engineering Building at Virginia...

oh and to my apt, Home home, gf home. i think thats it.

Koodauw
May 31, 2005, 09:53 AM
Mainly just to the living room, the coffee shop and thats about it. Usually just take the charger with me. Sometime my bt mouse.

tangerineyum
May 31, 2005, 10:25 AM
everywhere is where it needs to be. work, school, trips, friends houses, parties and anywhere else i frequent. it is truly my digital hub, i use it for watching movies when im on the go, storage for the thousands of pictures i take, and music when me friends and i are in desparate need of a competent dj. so sad that my ibook is dying. what will i do?

Earendil
May 31, 2005, 11:31 AM
My PB went on a 6 week backpacking stint through Costa Rica. I used it to keep a website and semi-blog going as a way of keeping in touch with the world, as well as letting everyone see the pictures I was taking.
In less extreme cases I take it to work every day even though I don't use it for anything but person use (hehe ;)) And whenever I go on vacation or to a friends house of some distance I'll back it along. I carry some of my favorite movies on it, the ones that have a little replay value, just so I can show them if need be. I also carry a gig of pictures and 16gigs of music so that I can change the mood how I please (mwhaha :D)

Outside of that I take a blank CD or two, as well as my s-video and RCA jacks so I can show my movies/pictures/music on the big screen/speakers

~Tyler

ChrisBrightwell
May 31, 2005, 11:43 AM
I carried mine through Greece and Turkey last summer for nearly three weeks. I barely even noticed it in my daypack (alongside food, a couple of water bottles, my camera, some batteries, and other odds and ends).

We used my Powerbook as a base station for what seemed to be a small fleet of iPods. Pair with the World Travel Adapter kit and a handful of iPod USB/FW cables, I managed to keep everyone charged and loaded and find free WiFi in a few places to pull email and other content.

I also managed to download all the pictures from everyone's digital cameras and backup the entire set to each of the iPods on the trip. Half of us went home with the complete set. It spent most of the trip in my pack, but it was a blast to have around at night for slideshows of the day's pictures and everything else.

These days, my Powerbook goes most everywhere with me. I use it at work to charge my iPod and listen to music (since we're not techhnically supposed to stash MP3s on these desktops), use it at school for notes and code development, at friends' houses for typical mobile computing, and half a dozen other places for dozens of other tasks.

Most of my driving time is accompanied by my Powerbook chirping every time it finds a new WiFi hotspot (w00t for wardriving). I just need to get a GPS box so I can log the places that I find. :)

alexprice
May 31, 2005, 12:04 PM
I take it everywhere!

I use it at work to assist in callouts, repairing other macs and to do all the paperwork etc.

Take it to my mums every other weekend where I used to live, while there i'll visit all my old friend with it.

Sometimes i'll even take it in the bathroom and use it whilst on the loo or if i'm taking a bath i'll put it on the loo seat and watch some news or listen to music.

Occasionally in the garden with it (when sunny)

In the car sometimes I will record short journeys, speed them up and add music with iMovie.

I carry 2x ethernet cables, one crossover, one straight through.
DVI-VGA adaptop, S-Video to Composite, modem lead, firewire cable, iSight, USB cable, power adaptor and S-Video cable. Also just found and old packet of rizla's!!!

ChrisBrightwell
May 31, 2005, 12:17 PM
I carry 2x ethernet cables, one crossover, one straight through.
Why the crossover? The Powerbook's gigabit ethernet port can detect the need to switch and handle that internally.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42669

Stampyhead
May 31, 2005, 12:25 PM
I used to take my 15 in. Powerbook with me everywhere. It was just the right size for portability. Now that I have a 17 in. I find myself taking it less places. it's a bit heavier and it just doesn't feel as portable as the 15. I may get a 12 incher to carry around when I'm not doing work related stuff...

Patmian212
May 31, 2005, 12:28 PM
Also just found and old packet of rizla's!!!

Packet of rizla's now thats what I'm talkin' bout'!

My laptop normally stays home but I occasionaly take it to friends houses and every summer I take it on vacation with me. I move it around the house alot from bed to couch to kitchen to where is most comfortable :D

However I do find myself using my sawtooth more and more because I am more of a desktop person.

alexprice
May 31, 2005, 01:04 PM
Why the crossover? The Powerbook's gigabit ethernet port can detect the need to switch and handle that internally.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42669

Really? I didn't know that, I suppose I may become usefull if im networking other macs.

Thanks for the info!

Alex Price

ChrisBrightwell
May 31, 2005, 01:20 PM
Really? I didn't know that, I suppose I may become usefull if im networking other macs.Just to clarify -- you can plug a straight cable into your Powerbook's gigabit ethernet port and to any other "normal" ethernet port and the Powerbook will flip its send/receive hardware to "emulate" a crossover cable.

HTH.

wordmunger
May 31, 2005, 01:30 PM
Interesting that so many people carry their chargers with them. I only bring the power brick when I'm going to be gone for more than two or three days. Last weekend, for example, I went to Atlanta and brought the iBook along for checking restaurant reviews, etc from the hotel room (the room came with free wireless). Just put it to sleep when I wasn't using it, never shut down, and still had an hour and a half's worth of battery when I got home. Most of the battery loss was due to my son surfing for two hours in the room while we watched a movie.

leekohler
May 31, 2005, 02:09 PM
I take my 14" iBook G4 everywhere, everyday. I get tons of freelance work done on the train and bus, which is why I bought it in the first place. I don't know how I lived without it before.

joker2
May 31, 2005, 02:42 PM
Just about everywhere except shopping...

12" PB goes with me to work, to my consulting assignments, to school for notes, on vacation... I love coffeeshops with WiFi -- was able to take a vacation right at payroll time, and so I went in and submitted payroll from a coffeeshop in Florida!

I generally have my power brick, an ethernet cable, a 7-in-1 media reader (that uses a mini USB cable that will fit into many cameras), my iPod and its firewire cable, a floppy drive and disk (though this may get phased out in favor of the USB flash drive I just picked up) and a mini-DVI to VGA monitor adapter for presentations. (most of the projectors I've run into have a VGA port).

Except for the iPod, it all fits into the little case I got at the Apple store when I got my PB. I generally carry my power brick with me so that if I'm stuck somewhere over 2 hours I can plug in -- the PB being a rev B, the battery doesn't hold out for near as long as it used to.

Agathon
May 31, 2005, 03:00 PM
Almost everywhere. I'm posting from a wireless node at work right now (varsity) and I just bought a nice new marware tote bag for it.

elevenpower
May 31, 2005, 03:35 PM
During the school year, I brought my PB to all my classes; on my campus all the classrooms are wireless. And I could aslo use it in conjunction with the macs i was using in certain classes (i.e. media graphics, i'm a journalism major). I bought the DC/Incase backpack and I don't even notice the laptop in there when i'm travelling. When going to class I only brought my laptop, and iPod. When going for more than a day I bring my charger.

ZoomZoomZoom
May 31, 2005, 03:46 PM
When I get a powerbook, it's going to go everywhere with me, except to the toilet, the shower, and bed. Yes, powerbook to church. I figure God wouldn't want me bringing a Compaq into his holy sanctuary.

For now, because I'm working on a Dell Latitude without wireless, and without a battery, and without any productivity software what-so-ever... it travels in my room, anywhere in the radius of about 3 feet.

Mechcozmo
May 31, 2005, 03:54 PM
Damn near everywhere. I usually have:
A/C adapter
Ethernet cable (CAT-5e)
Blank CDs
FireWire cable
Mini-mouse
USB flashdrive

But when I don't have my bag with me, just the USB flashdrive and an ethernet cable come along.

Agathon
May 31, 2005, 04:30 PM
When I get a powerbook, it's going to go everywhere with me, except to the toilet, the shower, and bed.

Get a wireless LAN at home. For all you know I could be posting this from my lavatory. ;)

ITASOR
May 31, 2005, 04:56 PM
When I had my 12" iBook I never brought it anywhere. I only took it outside my house to use it once. If I had a iBook or PB now, I would definitely take it everywhere. I never really took the laptop in my sig anywhere either. Only to my grandpa's house once to show him a website I made. The laptop is a big big, but it's really sturdy and easy to carry, as was the 12" iBook, I just never did it.... :o

katie ta achoo
May 31, 2005, 05:40 PM
I take my powerbook to "help me fix my windows computer" parties.
I have then about once a month.

Also "My dvd player is broken, so let's finish watching the movie on your powerbook" parties are fun. :)

I never really take it anywhere. I'm so freaked out about my PowerBook. It might get stolen, Someone might drop it, etc.

I take it to the apple store a lot. "Umm.. where's my microphone" and "uhh... help me install ram" and "uh... my airport reception is craptacular" and "hey! teach me how to use terminal!" The guys at the genius bar know me by name now. When I brought in my Pawn shop iBook, and kept trying to pimp it out ("can I install a G4 processor on this thing, or will it melt?" and "are you SURE I can't get 802.11g??" and the always great "Dude.. I lost one of the feet on my iBook. gimmie a new one")

Other than that, I don't take my computer anywhere.

Well, I am writing this from my front lawn.. Our A/C broke and it's cooler outside than in. :( Weather widget says KT is outside in 88 degree heat with a Hot hot PowerBook on her lap.

OFF TOPIC: I think mosquitos are getting smarter. They land and hover around on my LCD screen, the one place I won't smack the living crap out of them. I've already killed three on my trackpad. Ew. :P (hooray for iKlear!)

buryyourbrideau
May 31, 2005, 05:51 PM
well my iBook goes with me many places.

1. on my desk with screen span and external mon
2. bathroom :eek:
3. garage while working on cars to look up info
4. school
5. moms house
6. car rides
7. downstairs while watching tv
8. anywhere else i friggin need it

:p

enoch
May 31, 2005, 06:12 PM
I take mine into really nasty situations, where paint, glue and sawdust are flying around. This is because I work in art galleries, installing art shows, where my powerbook often gets used to drive a projector.

Bern
May 31, 2005, 08:18 PM
Mine goes everywhere with me. I travel a lot so that's essentially why I have a lappie.

My PowerBook goes overseas, to coffee shops, lectures, the garden, local parks.. well you get the idea :p

I carry mine in an STM bag with my iPod, digital camera, firewire cable, mini usb cable, iSight and power brick if for over night or longer, mobile phone etc.

jonat8
May 31, 2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, it's nice to know other people take their laptop everywhere too!

I thought about missing the power brick out if I'm just taking it out for the day but I know the first time I don't bring it is the time I'm going to need it ;) Always the way. It's not really heavy enough for me to feel the difference in my bag anyway.

pdpardue
Jun 1, 2005, 01:53 AM
Well, I take my ibook just about everywhere. Right now I have no wifi in my house (or the book either...), so it generally remains tetered to a really long cable. Going to get wifi as soon as the money comes in for it.

Recently i took it outside while washing the car to listen to tunes.
Took it with me to yoesmite for the weekend last month.
Take it to school of course.
Been sent to apple for repairs (twice cause when I got it back the first time, the screens edge was cracked)...
I take it to my moms so I don't have to work on her PC (and to play games)...

Other then yosemite, I haven't been on any trips or anything major, but I am sure that it would come if only to watch DVD's, play games, connect to the next, et cetera...

I have a Dell at home, and unless I really really really need to use it, my ibook sits infront on the pull out keyboard drawer of my desk.

aside from my iPod, my iBook is my single greatest take with me piece of technology!

shadowmoses
Jun 1, 2005, 02:07 AM
All this talk is maing me want the new iBook to be released so i can get one, and take it with me everywhere!!!!! :D

efoto
Jun 1, 2005, 03:26 AM
I take my 12"PB almost everywhere with me.

I use it:

In class to *take notes* and browse the web, IM, etc
School library when *studying*
In my room for IM/Web while playing a game on PC (I love not getting booted down from a game when someone IMs you mid-match)
Take it home every weekend I go there to surf at parents/friends house
Wifi equipped Cafés
To work everday day (although we are not supposed to have personal devices on the corporate network, they either don't notice or don't care about my Mac :D )

I also love taking to family events with my DigiSLR camera so I can shoot all night, download, quickly filter and then show the grandparents/parents pictures of their nephews/nieces (my cousins) since all the cute little ones are the focus nowadays :p, I guess we all get our time though.

BenAKL
Jun 1, 2005, 04:28 PM
Mine lives under my bed after I am done. :D

UTB_Avid
Jun 3, 2005, 08:19 AM
My PB is pretty much never out of arms reach. Of course I pretty much only go to class, the apple store (fix my brand new PB! It doesn't matter that I bought it in the states it is under warranty:mad: ) and home. Living in a hotel in the middle of nowhere Etobicoke, ON without a car limits where I can and can't go.

bartelby
Jun 3, 2005, 08:51 AM
It goes everywhere with me, except gigs (both watching and playing) and Sainsburys

dubbz
Jun 3, 2005, 09:09 AM
I take it with me everywhere. Trains, airplains, cars. Bedroom, living room, bathroom (more times than I'd want to admit ;)). After I got wireless networking in the house it became much easier and desirable to move it around the house since I have internet access everywhere.

Mechcozmo
Jun 3, 2005, 09:20 AM
I've got my battery life down to a science. So I know when I need/don't need A/C adapter.

tuartboy
Jun 3, 2005, 02:30 PM
Most of my driving time is accompanied by my Powerbook chirping every time it finds a new WiFi hotspot (w00t for wardriving). I just need to get a GPS box so I can log the places that I find. :)

Once you do get GPS, head on over to wigle.net (http://www.wigle.net) and download their client. It can interface with your stumbler and give you real-time mapping and tracking. Then you can uplaod your file to the site and compete with others.

Right now, my group (http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/) is 28th worldwide. Join in if you feel so inclined.

Cheers.