Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several times earlier this year, we covered Apple's work on "HiDPI" modes in OS X Lion for supporting ultra high-resolution displays offering greater pixel density with a similar increase in image quality to that seen with the iPhone's transition to a "Retina" display.

With new claims that Apple is set to release a new 15" MacBook Pro offering a resolution of 2880x1800 early next year, Apple's work on its HiDPI software support has also been gaining renewed attention. By doubling the resolution in each dimension over the existing 1440x900 MacBook Pro, Apple would achieve four times the number of pixels and provide developers with an easy way to scale existing artwork.

Evidence of Apple's continued work on HiDPI has shown up in developer builds of OS X 10.7.3, with the "Get Info" window for applications seeing the addition of an "Open in HIDPI mode" checkbox. But while that checkbox would presumably automatically use higher-resolution fonts and graphics that would display at the same absolute size as existing elements, it has not been functional in developer builds where it is present.

hidpi_10_7_3.jpg

With yesterday's release of Build 11D36 to developers, Apple has now removed that checkbox from the "Get Info" window entirely. While its removal may suggest a step backward in Apple's implementation of HiDPI support, it is routine for Apple to activate and deactivate portions of features as it works on them. Consequently, the mere change in the checkbox's visibility in the new build indicates that Apple is indeed likely actively working on the feature.

Article Link: OS X 10.7.3 Beta Reveals Active Work on 'Retina' Display Support for Mac

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
By doubling the resolution in each dimension over the existing 1440x900 MacBook Pro, Apple would achieve four times the number of pixels and provide developers with an easy way to scale existing artwork.

I wish people would stop saying "provide developers with an easy way to scale existing artwork" when it's about computers, that's just nonsense.

That might be true for devices with known, fixed resolutions that are upgraded (ex: iPhone's 320x480 upgraded to the iPhone 4's 640x960), but it's completely pointless for computers which have various resolutions to begin with.

Nobody out there makes software that targets exactly 1440x900. Computer users use anything between 640x480 up to 2560x2048. Even the aspect ratio isn't fixed.

Bluesdealer

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Oh man... and, of course, I just bought a new MBP.

Oh well, let's just hope this also means the introduction of a 3840x2160 Cinema Display... which would allow for proper upscaling of 1080p content :)

One can dream.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I wish people would stop saying "provide developers with an easy way to scale existing artwork" when it's about computers, that's just nonsense.

That might be true for devices with known, fixed resolutions that are upgraded (ex: iPhone's 320x480 upgraded to the iPhone 4's 640x960), but it's completely pointless for computers which have various resolutions to begin with.

Nobody out there makes software that targets exactly 1440x900. Computer users use anything between 640x480 up to 2560x2048. Even the aspect ratio isn't fixed.

+1

Well said.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is coming with Ivy Bridge? I wonder how this relates to the possible move to nVidia for graphics, and how the performance of Ive Bridge gpu can handle that Rez.

Edit: I mean with gpu enhanced ui elements like melt into dock and shadows. I find weak GPUs slow significantly with resolution.

In any case, I'll probably wait for rev. b if they make such a huge hardware change like this.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Will this be available for the new Air also or just MBP?

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
"I wish people would stop saying "provide developers with an easy way to scale existing artwork" when it's about computers, that's just nonsense.":

agreed !

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
So are they going to have a unified resolution for the Macbook Pro's? Right now they have the 1680 x 1050 and the 1440 x 900. Are they pixel doubling the former or the latter? I really don't want to lose the extra estate the higher resolution afforded, but wouldn't mind if they increased the resolution as a whole and pixel doubled that.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

The statement refers primarily to onscreen elements. Buttons, icons, and other user interface elements need to be scaled up so that they appear at the same relative size as on current-resolution displays.

While applications target a range of resolutions, displays generally have roughly the same pixel density, so user interface elements remain roughly the same size regardless of the resolution. So it's about the pixel density, not the absolute resolution.

The move to "Retina" display on computers dramatically increases the pixel density, and that's what needs to be accounted for so that user interface elements don't become unusably small.

By going with a doubling of pixels in each dimension, it becomes easy for the system to display a pixel-doubled version of a small element at the appropriate real-life size if the developers have not provided those elements at sufficient resolution within the application.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
That's great, but what I really want is a 4K Thunderbolt Display!

(and matching iMac)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Well, wait.

If I have some software that appears to be 6" x 4" on a 15" Macbook Pro, I will know that it will be 6" x 4" on a retina 15" Macbook Pro. (Rather than the expected 3" x 2" which would necessitate changes on my end.)

As a developer that's useful information. It means I can start work on making sure it works fine on a 27" iMac and an 11" Air but that I DON'T have to spend time making 2 versions for both 'old' and 'new' 15" Macbooks.

Knowing what I do and do not have to spend time working on is not "nonsense."

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Won't the increase in pixels put an increased strain on the GPU? Apple doesn't supply very powerful ones to begin with. I imagine if people want to do any 3D work it would maybe then cause performance issues?

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Well, wait.

If I have some software that appears to be 6" x 4" on a 15" Macbook Pro, I will know that it will be 6" x 4" on a retina 15" Macbook Pro. (Rather than the expected 3" x 2" which would necessitate changes on my end.)

As a developer that's useful information. It means I can start work on making sure it works fine on a 27" iMac and an 11" Air but that I DON'T have to spend time making 2 versions for both 'old' and 'new' 15" Macbooks.

Knowing what I do and do not have to spend time working on is not "nonsense."

I believe the problem being referred to exists more with 3rd party displays rather than the Apple displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.