PDA

View Full Version : Page loading issues

0dev
Dec 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Since yesterday, I've had a sporadic issue with page loading on MR.

Sometimes, a page will look like it's loading, but all I get is a blank page, no matter how long I let it keep trying. I can also tell from the network monitor window I have on my Mac that it only bothers to attempt a connection to MR for a few seconds, so the rest of the time it's "loading", it's just sitting there doing nothing.

If I stop the page from loading then refresh it, this sometimes fixes the issue, but other times it doesn't, and I have to leave MR for a bit until the pages start loading properly again.

Is anyone else getting this? It's very irrirating :confused:

I'm running SL with all the updates and using the latest version of Firefox as my browser, if any of that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 22, 2011, 11:07 AM
Actually, yes, I have experienced this, too.

I thought it was just that many were online, but yes, both yesterday and today, pages have been very slow to load. I have done as you did, with similar results - i.e. go out, reload, refresh; sometimes, it works, and sometimes, I've had to repeat the exercise a few times.

Edit: While loading this post, it hung and froze........

SandboxGeneral
Dec 22, 2011, 11:09 AM
I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. But since then everything has been good for me, including today.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 22, 2011, 12:39 PM
Just now, I decided to time it: actually, it took 30 seconds to load the page, and over 15 seconds for the 'reply' button window to load.

Perhaps the Yuletide Seasonal 'traffic jam' on MR......

SandboxGeneral
Dec 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
Just now, I decided to time it: actually, it took 30 seconds to load the page, and over 15 seconds for the 'reply' button window to load.

Perhaps the Yuletide Seasonal 'traffic jam' on MR......

It's running quite well and quick for me. How are other websites loading for you right now? It's could just be network congestion in the routers and hops between you and the servers.

arn
Dec 22, 2011, 01:59 PM
Since yesterday, I've had a sporadic issue with page loading on MR.

Sometimes, a page will look like it's loading, but all I get is a blank page, no matter how long I let it keep trying. I can also tell from the network monitor window I have on my Mac that it only bothers to attempt a connection to MR for a few seconds, so the rest of the time it's "loading", it's just sitting there doing nothing.

If I stop the page from loading then refresh it, this sometimes fixes the issue, but other times it doesn't, and I have to leave MR for a bit until the pages start loading properly again.

Is anyone else getting this? It's very irrirating :confused:

I'm running SL with all the updates and using the latest version of Firefox as my browser, if any of that makes a difference.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why this would be. We haven't seen any known problems. It could be geographical/regional. Or it could be a particular resource.

If it happens often enough, can you try Safari with the Activity Window open? That shows you which resources are holding up the page or not.

For example it would say "0 of 10kb" on the right column, showing it's trying to load it but not being successful.

arn

0dev
Dec 22, 2011, 02:02 PM
Is there a Firefox equivalent of that? If so, I'll check it next time the issue crops up.

Shrink
Dec 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
No problems here. Occasionally it will hang for 5 -10 seconds - but I have always attributed that to heavy traffic on the site. Mostly, it's OK.

0dev
Feb 3, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread to say I've experienced the issue quite a few times again today.

SandboxGeneral
Feb 4, 2012, 08:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just thought I'd bump this thread to say I've experienced the issue quite a few times again today.

Are you having any problems at all loading other sites? I'm just wondering if there is a problem either with your computer or network.

I'm not exeperiencing any issues, and thus far it seems no one else is either.

Have you tried to flush your DNS cache to see if that helps?

Open Terminal and type:

dscacheutil -flushcache

The other possibility could be network trouble between your ISP and the MR servers; something totally beyond your control.

In one of your earlier posts in this thread, you asked about a Firefox equivlant to Safari's Activity Window, look up the Firefox extension Firebug. Firebug can show you a whole lot of information about what a web page is doing.

But it would be easier with Safari's Activity Window as Arn asked.

LostSoul80
Feb 4, 2012, 09:08 AM
As stated, knowing what takes that long to load is helpful, but if retrieved from external sources. Not useful otherwise, as could only indicate the problem has something to do with a server.
I have experienced long loading times too in the past few days, and have always thought the cause is the db server (if there's a dedicated one).
Are your blank pages the results of new posts/other searches?

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
I have this issue also. hangs and very slow loads.

arn
Feb 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
I have this issue also. hangs and very slow loads.

This would help,

Turn on Safari Develop menu:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20030110063041629

The select Develop -> Show Web Inspector -> choose Network from the tabs. Then load the page.

Should show how long each piece takes.

arn

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
This would help,

Turn on Safari Develop menu:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20030110063041629

The select Develop -> Show Web Inspector -> choose Network from the tabs. Then load the page.

Should show how long each piece takes.

arn

I don't understand. This is making it very difficult to use the forum.

arn
Feb 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't understand. This is making it very difficult to use the forum.

I'm trying to figure out what's causing the site to load slowly.

Where are you located geographically?

arn

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out what's causing the site to load slowly.

Where are you located geographically?

arn

Hi arn. I'm in Chicago. It's odd. Thanks.

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 26, 2012, 12:45 AM
Update? This is what i'm seeing.

abz1981
Feb 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi

I am glad I came across this thread. I am in the UK, I have noticed the MacRumors site loading slowly too. Where as I am getting the spinning symbol on top right hand side of the address bar. Also getting spinning wheel. I checked other sites and they load up fine and fast.

I think its been like this for about a week now. I don't know if its got anything to do with click2flash or anything, which I have on my MBA.

its also like slow moving up and down the screen, or sometimes it not responding.

abz1981
Feb 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
I take it am the only one now, who is suffering this issue???

arn
Feb 27, 2012, 08:56 AM
I take it am the only one now, who is suffering this issue???

if you can provide this information, it would help

arn

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14048018&postcount=6

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
if you can provide this information, it would help

arn

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14048018&postcount=6

Do you need a screenshot of these results?

abz1981
Feb 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi
seemed to have resolved this issue. I did a bit of searching on slow safari on lion, came across this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17469865?tstart=0#17469865

basically if you follow this;

/Library in the Finder. Goto ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari/. Delete the Cache.db file. Restart Safari and you should be all set. Then safari seems to go back to being super fast :)

arn
Mar 1, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hi
seemed to have resolved this issue. I did a bit of searching on slow safari on lion, came across this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17469865?tstart=0#17469865

basically if you follow this;

/Library in the Finder. Goto ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari/. Delete the Cache.db file. Restart Safari and you should be all set. Then safari seems to go back to being super fast :)

that's weird. Wouldn't have thought it to be a local issue.

Let me know if it starts happening again.

arn

Michaelgtrusa
Mar 2, 2012, 12:58 PM
It's not a Cache issue, It's a server issue as I still have this loading problem. Oddly, some browsers like safari seem to have less of this problem. I use chromiumSM.

arn
Mar 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
It's not a Cache issue, It's a server issue as I still have this loading problem. Oddly, some browsers like safari seem to have less of this problem. I use chromiumSM.

Please contact me on aim, account "chaosmint", if you'd like me to look into this. It's hard for me to figure it out without the information I'd asked for before. I can walk you through it if you contact me.

arn

Michaelgtrusa
Mar 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
Please contact me on aim, account "chaosmint", if you'd like me to look into this. It's hard for me to figure it out without the information I'd asked for before. I can walk you through it if you contact me.

arn

Hi arn, I can post a screenshot from safari in a bit.

Michaelgtrusa
Mar 5, 2012, 08:51 PM
These ok?

Michaelgtrusa
Mar 7, 2012, 10:44 AM
I have a feeling this has something to do with chrome based browsers as safari does not always do this but all chrome based browsers do.