Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koosh1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I am trying to do a clean install of Lion on my 2011 MBP but it freezes or isnt starting at the "downloading additional components" section and says it will take 99 hours 33 min (but hasnt changed in the last hour). I was following these instructions:

Or you could use my method: Reboot the machine and hold down the OPTION key until you get the recovery partition. Double-click on the recovery partition and go to Disk Utility. Erase the hard drive and partition it according to your needs. Then quit Disk Utility and go to Reinstall Mac OS. It will ask you to log in with your Apple ID for verification and you will be able to reinstall Lion to the hard drive, but this time it will be a clean install. It worked for me because for some odd reason my DVD’s I created using the InstallESD.DMG file (yes they were burned right) would not boot on my Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro.​

My internet connection is slow but works. I have one internal drive at 500 gb with the macintosh HD volume (the volume is erased and formated in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)). I am selecting this volume to install lion. is this correct? or am I supposed to make a different partition?

I dont have another mac so I cant download lion anywhere else. any ideas?

koosh1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So i left the download going for a couple more hours and it does look like its working because now it says 59 hours 45 min! (instead of 99 hours)

This is still a bit ridiculous amount of time to wait. any ideas on reducing the download size?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
What do you mean by saying "My internet is slow but works"?

Define slow and what kind of internet service do you have.

I just did a clean reformat and install of Lion just a few hours ago and it took less than 1 1/2 hour on a Cable Modem

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Um, where's your backup?

I'd just restore and do a normal installation of Lion. Why are you bothering to do this to yourself??

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
So i left the download going for a couple more hours and it does look like its working because now it says 59 hours 45 min! (instead of 99 hours)

This is still a bit ridiculous amount of time to wait. any ideas on reducing the download size?

Can you use a direct ethernet connection using adapter if necessary versus wifi connection?

Sorta sounds like you don't have much internet bandwidth to me.

koosh1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Can you use a direct ethernet connection using adapter if necessary versus wifi connection?

Sorta sounds like you don't have much internet bandwidth to me.

Yeah it ended up working with the slow Wifi connection. It ONLY took about 30 hours :D

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
oh and the wifi is 700 kb/s :D ... the fastest the town im in offers

Not to mention if the Server is bogged down, it will even be slower. Found that out the other day on another system. Took two hours that time, not 1 1/2 hours, on a faster Cable modem. :confused: :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.