PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar Offers Holiday Sale on All iOS Apps, Including GTA III

MacRumors
Dec 22, 2011, 12:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/22/rockstar-offers-holiday-sale-on-all-ios-apps-including-gta-iii/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/mzl.xankuudu.320x480-751.jpg

Rockstar is offering their three iOS apps for up to 40 percent off as a holiday sale, including the just-released Grand Theft Auto III (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/15/grand-theft-auto-iii-now-available-on-app-store/).
Today, we are pleased to announce a special holiday sale for Grand Theft Auto III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and Beaterator at the iTunes store. The sale starts today, December 22, and will end on December 29.

-*GTA III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition (http://appshopper.com/games/grand-theft-auto-3) - 40% off - $2.99 [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/app/grand-theft-auto-3/id479662730?mt=8)]
-*GTA: Chinatown Wars (http://appshopper.com/games/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-hd) - 40% off - $5.99 [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-chinatown/id386183589?mt=8)]
-*Beaterator (http://appshopper.com/music/beaterator) - 33% off - $1.99 [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/app/beaterator/id330049728?mt=8)]

Article Link: Rockstar Offers Holiday Sale on All iOS Apps, Including GTA III (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/22/rockstar-offers-holiday-sale-on-all-ios-apps-including-gta-iii/)

bradkrischel
Dec 22, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hey Rockstar, thanks for putting GTA III 40% off a week after you started selling it. Nothing like screwing your loyal fans who bought it right away.

jmthigpen
Dec 22, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Rockstar, thanks for putting GTA III 40% off a week after you started selling it. Nothing like screwing your loyal fans who bought it right away.

My thoughts exactly.

slicecom
Dec 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
I bought it right away and have no regrets. Was worth every penny.

rmwebs
Dec 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
Bit of a slap in the face. We've all just paid full price, then they cut it less than 7 days later!

I love GTA but the mobile version's controls have been horrendous on the ipad.

Navdakilla
Dec 22, 2011, 12:32 PM

No kidding. They definitely did that on purpose

penajmz
Dec 22, 2011, 12:32 PM
Lucky I didnt buy it right away! Time to get it now. :D

Quazimojo
Dec 22, 2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah that was pretty sad but the game is easily worth $5.

I REALLY wish they would add retina support to Chinatown Wars though.

I thought or was thinking that when GTA3 hit, Chinatown would get an update as well, but i guess i was wrong .

Ah well maybe one day :).

3bs
Dec 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Just bought GTA 3. I'm glad I waited. I was too busy to play it anyway.

And thanks MR for the heads up!

jclardy
Dec 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
I find all these game companies just reinforcing the idea that you shouldn't buy a game at launch.

Recent examples:
Batman Arkham City (PC): $50 at launch, $25 on Steam yesterday
GTA III iOS: $6.99 at launch, $2.99 today
Battlefield 3: $59.99 at launch, $30 the other day

Luckily I only got burned $4 on the GTA launch.

Moral of the story: Wait 1-3 months after launch to buy and get twice as many games.

3bs
Dec 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
Lucky I didnt buy it right away! Time to get it now. :D

Looks like we're both gonna get a lot of down votes because we didn't get it straight away.. :D

Consultant
Dec 22, 2011, 12:45 PM

It's $2 difference.

bradkrischel
Dec 22, 2011, 12:54 PM
It's $2 difference.

Well, yes, it is only $2, but it's still 40% off. However, it's not the money that bothers me, it's the principle. Dropping the price one month after the initial release is one thing, but 7 days? Give me a break.

eNcrypTioN
Dec 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's $2 difference.

$2 is $2. I hate when this happens.

salacious
Dec 22, 2011, 12:57 PM
i feel pissed!! i paid 2.99 for it!! but to be fair its the best game iv bought on par with mc3..

dimi94941
Dec 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Does GTA III work on 3GS?

philbeeney
Dec 22, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hey Rockstar.

How about doing the same discounts for the Mac App store. That would be a nice Christmas treat.

Silverfist
Dec 22, 2011, 01:36 PM

You can get an iPhone 3Gs for FREE now, too, and I feel like a chump. Using it when it first came out. **** YOU APPLE

It's two bucks, it easily worth the full price regardless, and seriously -- what do you expect? It's the holiday season -- EVERYBODY is having a sale on iOS apps...

M7ck
Dec 22, 2011, 01:45 PM
I paid 2.99 for it the day it was released and have no regrets, it was a bargain at full price and both myself and my kids have had a weeks enjoyment of playing it.

ARandomFellow
Dec 22, 2011, 02:18 PM

Hey, Brad.... nothing like buying something the day it comes out, being among the first to try it and then complaining about it when it goes on sale cuz you couldn't be patient and wait.

Number 41
Dec 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
Are people really complaining about a price reduction from $5 to $3?

I mean, really? It's two bucks.

ARandomFellow
Dec 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
I find all these game companies just reinforcing the idea that you shouldn't buy a game at launch.

Recent examples:
Batman Arkham City (PC): $50 at launch, $25 on Steam yesterday
GTA III iOS: $6.99 at launch, $2.99 today
Battlefield 3: $59.99 at launch, $30 the other day

Luckily I only got burned $4 on the GTA launch.

Moral of the story: Wait 1-3 months after launch to buy and get twice as many games.

Wow, good on you for finally catching on to the way the world works! People who are early adopters, generally pay more for the privelege of being among the first to play with/use the newest things. I don't understand why people expect to have the newest thing AND then get upset that people who waited a little bit (especially around Christmas) get it on sale. Seriously. Stop whining about stupid stuff like this. Everyone already knows this happens on a regular basis. You made a choice to not wait for the sale price, now just shutup about it.

urbanj
Dec 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
Well, yes, it is only $2, but it's still 40% off. However, it's not the money that bothers me, it's the principle. Dropping the price one month after the initial release is one thing, but 7 days? Give me a break.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

$2 is $2. I hate when this happens.

I always say this when someone says it's only a small amount when it comes to paying for something or someone owing you money.

"If it's only $20 (or any amount for that matter) give me my $20 back and then give me another $20 because you find it so trivial." :)

B777Forevar
Dec 22, 2011, 02:30 PM
Why are people complaining about the price drop?

This happens all the time.

Peterson8765
Dec 22, 2011, 02:57 PM
$2.99 or $4.99, the game is still superb - especially on the iPad 2. :)

Yamcha
Dec 22, 2011, 03:18 PM
Sigh, I can't believe I sold my iPad :P.. Maybe next year I'll get one again..

filmantopia
Dec 22, 2011, 03:23 PM

I wnat mah 2 dallars bcak!!!1one!!1

bradkrischel
Dec 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
You can get an iPhone 3Gs for FREE now, too, and I feel like a chump. Using it when it first came out. **** YOU APPLE

It's two bucks, it easily worth the full price regardless, and seriously -- what do you expect? It's the holiday season -- EVERYBODY is having a sale on iOS apps...

The iPhone 3GS was also released on June 19, 2009, so I'm not surprised it's free now *with a contract.

It is the holiday season, but I did NOT expect them to drop the price by 40% after only being in the app store for 7 days.

bradkrischel
Dec 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
Hey, Brad.... nothing like buying something the day it comes out, being among the first to try it and then complaining about it when it goes on sale cuz you couldn't be patient and wait.

Why would I wait for a week to download a game that I wanted...especially since I don't have a crystal ball to look one week into the future to see it would be reduced in price by 40%? Rockstar announced the game on October 13th, and I waited until December 15th to buy it. I guess that's not enough patience.

spillproof
Dec 22, 2011, 04:06 PM
I never buy a game when it is first released, no matter how much I want it.

I wait for sales so I can save money and not feel cheated.

Dagless
Dec 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm tempted to get this, but I don't want to waste more money on games that I can't enjoy because of poor controls.
So really... how are the controls on this? Also: You have to also play console games. My reaction to a lot of iOS games is "Great, but I wish I could have this on my 3DS/PSP".

Manzana
Dec 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (White iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey cheapskates, get a clue!
Get Appshopper then set an alert for your favorite apps, then when there is a $ change you can be all over it. This is what I do.

Silverfist
Dec 22, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm tempted to get this, but I don't want to waste more money on games that I can't enjoy because of poor controls.
So really... how are the controls on this? Also: You have to also play console games. My reaction to a lot of iOS games is "Great, but I wish I could have this on my 3DS/PSP".

It beats the hell out of GTA:CTW, that's for cure. Overall, I find the controls a lot easier on the iPad than on the iPhone... I like that fact that you can use the accelerometer to steer, but I can't get off the nice drifts that I need for the racing missions that way.

Sure, the controls might be a little bit better on a console, but I'm just totally digging the fact that I've got GTA3 ON MY FREAKIN' IPAD AND IPHONE, so in that regard absolutely zero regrets. And seriously, I've no issues with controls on the iPad -- it's very customizable, so you can arrange all of the buttons how they feel best for you.

farleysmaster
Dec 23, 2011, 04:37 AM

There was a rumour on another thread that this may go on iTunes 12 Days of Christmas. I suppose it would have to be after the 29th (when this sale ends). Worth bearing in mind if you don't mind risking 1.

("I paid a pound!")

afroAnt
Dec 23, 2011, 05:24 AM
Are people really complaining about a price reduction from $5 to $3?

I mean, really? It's two bucks.

You can buy another game with that.

farleysmaster
Dec 23, 2011, 07:00 AM
You can buy another game with that.
Or half a cup of coffee!

jclardy
Dec 23, 2011, 09:10 AM
Wow, good on you for finally catching on to the way the world works! People who are early adopters, generally pay more for the privelege of being among the first to play with/use the newest things. I don't understand why people expect to have the newest thing AND then get upset that people who waited a little bit (especially around Christmas) get it on sale. Seriously. Stop whining about stupid stuff like this. Everyone already knows this happens on a regular basis. You made a choice to not wait for the sale price, now just shutup about it.

Really? We are talking less than a week here. I'm not upset about $4, I am upset because they are devaluing the market. They are selling a hit game with hours of gameplay for less than the price of a cup of coffee. Your reaction is just proving my point. Items devalue over time, but now people expect software to have a half life of less than a week.

When big companies do this they create expectations for every app to go on sale, even if they are less than $2 to begin with.

Of course, the GTA price drop is purely a business decision. Rockstar released a week before the iTunes charts will freeze. They drop $4, rocket up the charts and get stuck their over Christmas where they get 5-10x sales on a single day. So win/win for their bottom line. Although I think they would have still been charting at $6.99 and profits would still be high, but its their call.

Kissaragi
Dec 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
There was a rumour on another thread that this may go on iTunes 12 Days of Christmas. I suppose it would have to be after the 29th (when this sale ends). Worth bearing in mind if you don't mind risking 1.

("I paid a pound!")

*Cue people whining about how they spent $3 on it when it was on sale and now its free*

MrXiro
Dec 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
Sigh, I can't believe I sold my iPad :P.. Maybe next year I'll get one again..

I lasted a week without an iPad... broke down and got the iPad 2 for $459 shipped. :)

Is China Town Wars good? The last I heard about it, it was a GBA game...

NikeTalk
Dec 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
If I buy it on my iPhone 4, do I have to rebuy it on my iPad 2?

Ivan P
Dec 23, 2011, 12:46 PM
[/COLOR]

I lasted a week without an iPad... broke down and got the iPad 2 for 459 after shipped. :)

Is China Town Wars good? The last I heard about it, it was a GBA game...

GBA? I think you mean DS :) It's pretty good. The graphics are a bit odd - like a hybrid between the birds-eye-view look of the original GTA and the 3D games of the last decade, but once you get used to the controls it's pretty nice.

MrXiro
Dec 23, 2011, 12:48 PM
If I buy it on my iPhone 4, do I have to rebuy it on my iPad 2?

Nope... you but it once you don't need to pay again for any of your iOS devices linked to your iTunes account.

----------

GBA? I think you mean DS :) It's pretty good. The graphics are a bit odd - like a hybrid between the birds-eye-view look of the original GTA and the 3D games of the last decade, but once you get used to the controls it's pretty nice.

Yeah maybe it was DS... it's a pretty old game too right?

Ivan P
Dec 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
Early 2009, at the moment it's the second-youngest GTA instalment (the youngest being The Ballad of Gay Tony for GTA IV, which was released around 6 months later).

MrXiro
Dec 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
Early 2009, at the moment it's the second-youngest GTA instalment (the youngest being The Ballad of Gay Tony for GTA IV, which was released around 6 months later).

Wow really it was only 2009? Felt like it was 2005 or 2006... but I never played it so I don't have a correct time frame. I just remember hearing about it what felt like a really long time ago not just 2 or 3 years.

striker33
Dec 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
Dont wait to get games, just buy them at launch, play them for a week or till completion, then sell it to CeX for the same price you paid (near enough). If its a game with strong online content, then fair enough, you'll want to keep it. Or you could use up the online pass and then buy it dirt cheap used after a month or 2.

I suppose with app store games its probably worth waiting though, as they always go on sale.

nraudigy2
Dec 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
People complaining about price drop lol. You guys rather not have a price drop?