PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite version of Mac OS?

chrf097
Dec 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm curious, what is everyone's favorite version of Mac OS?

Mine is Mac OS 9.x.x and Mac OS 10.3.x. What about you guys? :D

I liked Mac OS 9 because it kept the beautiful new "Platinum" environment from Mac OS 8 while really expanding on internet connectivity. They made Mac OS 9 to be as compatible with the internet as ever, even being called "The best OS for Online".

I love Panther pretty much for one reason. The intro video. That was the best intro video Apple ever made.

roadbloc
Dec 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
Tiger was probably my favourite version. Solid, well thought out and feature consistent from the start. Leopard and Snow Leopard coming second because they were both quite buggy until 10.x.3 or so, but both great OSs. Lion... I'm not too sure yet.

63dot
Dec 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
Tiger is great and I have it on two of my older machines. So I am another vote for Tiger.

Snow Leopard is buggy and sketchy with video playback and downloaded videos. I don't know about Lion yet and I hope it's better than the lame Leopards Apple hoisted on us.

Hellhammer
Dec 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
I liked Leopard because IMO, it has mainly the same features as its successors, yet it was stable.

*LTD*
Dec 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
System 7. For nostalgia's sake. Good times.

From a technical/design perspective, without question: Lion. For me, full-screen mode alone seals the deal. The rest is gravy.

cambookpro
Dec 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
Tiger. Seemed like a solid OS and introduced great new features like Spotlight and Dashboard.
I like Lion and SL too.

Eidorian
Dec 23, 2011, 12:22 PM
Tiger, the Spotlight behavior was flawless.

OllyW
Dec 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've still got a few issues with Lion so I'll have to go with Snow Leopard.

Melrose
Dec 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
I have happy memories of using OS 9.x versions, my favourite has been 10.6.

Mr. McMac
Dec 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
Snow Leopard here. I have no interest in Lion

Shrink
Dec 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
Lion here.

It's important to note that I'm very technologically unsophisticated and a newbie, so my only point of comparison was SL, which was the OS on my first purchase.

That being said, as I learn more and more about the capabilities of my computer, I find Lion to be easy to learn and I enjoy using it.:)

Heilage
Dec 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
Snow Leopard seemed to work best overall for me. Never had any stability issues with it, actually.

Sydde
Dec 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
Tiger, because the unsanity stuff still worked with it. I liked having windows that looked like parchment, but more importantly, it really helped these old eyes to have alternative cursors (the quill I put together for the text cursor was immensely useful).

Fubar1977
Dec 24, 2011, 06:28 AM
I`m a Lion fan but I do miss the welcome video from SL :o

ChristianJapan
Dec 24, 2011, 06:33 AM
For me SL was better compared to Lion; I run Lion since public release day but just have too many beachballs and screens getting black without reason. Bugreporter don't help either. Don't feel yet good; I fear it will take until .4 or .5 until Lion is on the same level as SL.

Fubar1977
Dec 24, 2011, 06:39 AM
For me SL was better compared to Lion; I run Lion since public release day but just have too many beachballs and screens getting black without reason. Bugreporter don't help either. Don't feel yet good; I fear it will take until .4 or .5 until Lion is on the same level as SL.

"Touch Wood" no such problems for me with Lion but I fully understand people holding off on Lion till a later release.

vitzr
Dec 24, 2011, 06:55 AM
I'm curious, what is everyone's favorite version of Mac OS?

Mine is Mac OS 9.x.x and Mac OS 10.3.x. What about you guys? :D

I liked Mac OS 9 because it kept the beautiful new "Platinum" environment from Mac OS 8 while really expanding on internet connectivity. They made Mac OS 9 to be as compatible with the internet as ever, even being called "The best OS for Online".

I love Panther pretty much for one reason. The intro video. That was the best intro video Apple ever made.

First off, Kudos for a great poll!

I have three favorites.

1) System 7 - for what it represented in progress for Apple & myself as it was my first computer as a youngster.

2) Tiger for all the great ways it served me.

3) Snow Leopard for being my current favorite, an OS that handles all my professional needs with aplomb, and is ultra stable & fast. Max ram & SSD equipped, it's on all my 2010 Macs and thus far still outshines Lion for my requirements.

AQUADock
Dec 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
I think Tiger was my favorite because it was so stable and fast. And I preferred the look of it over leopard and lion. I would still use it today if new apps still supported it.

Happybunny
Dec 24, 2011, 08:58 AM
I came late into the Mac world, so Leopard and Snow Leopard are the only two that I know.

chrf097
Dec 24, 2011, 09:23 AM
Wow guys! Great to see everyone voting! Looks like Snow Leopard and Tiger are currently winning!

Melrose
Dec 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
"Touch Wood" no such problems for me with Lion but I fully understand people holding off on Lion till a later release.

My machine can certainly handle it, and I considered Lion. But, I heard enough about UI changes (scrolling, etc) and a few bugs. It's not like I need it - so atm I'd rather have my $$. Leopard and Snow Leopard have been stable, stable, stable, so if I get Lion it would be a ways down the road for a later version.

Stella
Dec 24, 2011, 10:36 AM
Snow Leopard. A lot of needless functionality / changes in Lion.

neiltc13
Dec 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
Tiger, because it was so much better than its competitors at the time.

Now all of the OSs available are much the same and Lion seems to be a backward step in the way they have dumbed down a lot of the features.

gkarris
Dec 24, 2011, 12:10 PM
System 7... :eek:

Nothing but fun memories.... ;)

Abstract
Dec 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
I chose Snow Leopard because it was always fantastic, but Tiger was a very close 2nd place. It added significant features that make OS X what it is (much like 10.3 did), and was also stable.

Lion is only a step backwards because Mission Control is a downgrade, and I use the Expose and Spaces all the time. I didn't think that Apple would/could ever make such a mistake on what is supposed to be an upgrade, but they did.

toolbox
Dec 25, 2011, 03:19 AM
I liked tiger, the features and the interface.

TSE
Dec 26, 2011, 02:33 AM
I really liked Mac OS X Tiger. It was a great OS and still is.

In fact, my brothers still use it regularly for Microsoft Office, iTunes, and web browsing.

*LTD*
Dec 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
I really liked Mac OS X Tiger. It was a great OS and still is.

In fact, my brothers still use it regularly for Microsoft Office, iTunes, and web browsing.

I'm surprised some things still work with Tiger. Are the newest versions of the above compatible with Tiger?

BreakGuy
Dec 29, 2011, 09:19 PM
Never had any trouble with Snow Leopard. Upgraded to Lion, didn't like it, downgraded back to SL. :D

TSE
Dec 30, 2011, 12:34 AM
I'm surprised some things still work with Tiger. Are the newest versions of the above compatible with Tiger?

I believe they use all the old versions, but they still web browse with it as if it were a new computer... flash video and everything. It's pretty awesome seeing a 6 year old computer being used regularly.

qwasedral
Dec 30, 2011, 12:47 AM
Tiger

maflynn
Dec 30, 2011, 06:56 AM
System 7 because that was at the pinnacle of the OS, not too much bloat but lots of features. Tiger for the same reason, I feel its at the pinnacle of OSX design. Since then apple has added features but at a cost of bloat.

hexonxonx
Dec 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
I like Snow Leopard but using Lion since release, I am growing to like it.

mobilehaathi
Dec 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
Definitely Snow Leopard.

KnightWRX
Dec 31, 2011, 11:34 AM
System 7 because that was at the pinnacle of the OS

Cooperative multi-tasking kills everything before OS X for me.

Frankly, I have no favorites in the different cats, they're all good Unix systems to me.

*LTD*
Dec 31, 2011, 01:36 PM
Snow Leopard rating so high is not surprising. What is surprising is that Leopard rates so low, and that pre-OS X operating systems rate so high (the nostalgic "good old days" factor?)

Perhaps Leopard is regarded as a very imperfect Snow Leopard. But here, even Tiger rates way higher than Leopard.

TSE
Dec 31, 2011, 04:18 PM
Snow Leopard rating so high is not surprising. What is surprising is that Leopard rates so low, and that pre-OS X operating systems rate so high (the nostalgic "good old days" factor?)

Perhaps Leopard is regarded as a very imperfect Snow Leopard. But here, even Tiger rates way higher than Leopard.

I think it's the fact that Snow Leopard is basically just an "improved" Leopard. I don't think there is a single thing worse in Snow Leopard than in Leopard.

With that, Leopard changed a lot of things from Tiger. Tiger is the last version of OSX before they changed a lot of the UI features and the way a lot of things worked.

And yeah, I think the reason the Mac Classic is rated so highly is nostalgia...

While I did love it at the time, whenever I load up Sheepshaver I cringe... it's just awful.

[DL]
Dec 31, 2011, 04:20 PM
Snow Leopard. Seriously, it was always perfect.

Appleaddict18
Dec 31, 2011, 04:26 PM
Snow Leopard does the trick for me! :D

juliusaugustus
Dec 31, 2011, 10:31 PM
My favorite Version is Snow leopard or tiger hard to choose. I hate Lion it brought a bunch of unnecessary changes.

Nameci
Dec 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
Snow Leopard, light weight and stable. I miss it. Lion is fairly new, i wanted to give it a try. Who knows it might change my preference.

Apple OC
Dec 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
Snow Leopard ... I have no need for Lion

Molecule
Jan 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
Panther. I have many happy memories of using it as a kid. Apple was so much cooler back then IMO.

From a technical standpoint, Snow Leopard and Lion get honourable mentions. SL because it was completely 64-bit-ized, introduced GCD and OpenCL, etc. Lion because of its greatly enhanced security, built-in Xsan support, and so fourth. Under the hood stuff, really.

sigamy
Jan 3, 2012, 12:24 PM
I liked Panther, is that when Expose was first released? That was a great feature. Also liked Tiger for Spotlight.

I like the new OS but I miss having some color in the controls. Lion is just so gray....Can anyone tell me why it is better to have toolbar buttons with no color?

arkitect
Jan 3, 2012, 12:26 PM
Snow Leopard.

ChazUK
Jan 3, 2012, 12:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.2.1; en-us; Xoom Build/HTK75D) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13)

Panther gets my vote.

It was Panther on an iBook G4 800MHz that introduced me to the whole Apple computing world and the fond memories using something so different to what I was used to puts it above the rest. Just seeing Expose for the first time and setting up my hot corners to multitask seemed so ahead of anything I'd used before.

Such a good thread reading everyone else's choices. I'll remain subscribed to this one too see what else people prefer and why. :)

MacNut
Jan 3, 2012, 10:24 PM
I would vote for 7.5 as that is when the OS grew up. But of the X's I have to go with Tiger.

MacsRgr8
Jan 6, 2012, 04:51 PM
Voted for Lion, as it is the favorite OS to me now.

But, if I added "at the time", it might be Mac OS X Server 1.x

IMHO Mac OS 9 was really lagging compared to Windows 2000. Having Apple release the first UNIX based OS publicly was very cool.
Mac OS X Server 1.x wasn't for the end user. But it was great to try out as a System Admin, seeing the NeXTSTEP - Rhapsody development being giving a "Mac OS" make-over, i.e. the Platinum interface.

Having iMacs NetBooting off a G3 Server running Mac OS X Server 1.x was very cool to play around with.

@ OP, care to add "Mac OS X Server 1.x"?

ConfusedBatman
Jun 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
You don't have to be limited by one, though, for example, I like 10.0 because of all the stripes, but my favorite version with functionality in mind is Snow Leopard because it was super stable, looked nice (the finder icons still had color I'm pretty sure) It was all around a really solid OS. Panther had a sweet default background.

A Hebrew
Jun 24, 2013, 10:56 PM
I LIKE GRAVEDIGGERS!

Answer: Whichever one is the newest.

TyPod
Jun 26, 2013, 11:20 PM
Leopard for me because it seemed like a really big upgrade visually.

TSE
Jun 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
Mac OS 9 brings back the most memories, even though it was awful for it's time in every sense of the word. Tiger brought upon the most useful features. Snow Leopard was the most reliable and fastest for it's time.

I am enjoying Mountain Lion, but look forward to upgrading to Mavericks.

lobeyonekenobi
Jun 28, 2013, 07:36 AM
Was Snow Leopard before Mountain Lion, as it was fast and reliable now Mountain Lion is that plus all the features as extra.

Lion was good too but only after it was updated the second or third time and most of the bugs were rid of.

Pompiliu
Jun 28, 2013, 07:40 AM
Tiger is my favorite.
Leopard was nice, lots of useful features, but kinda buggy and slow.
Snow Leopard was the best, i think. Fast, stable, no bugs (at least after a few updates). I still want it on my new Macs.:(
Lion was crap.
Mountain Lion is not bad at all. Apple is on the right track.:)

SkyBell
Jun 28, 2013, 07:57 AM
Tiger is, and I imagine always will be, my favorite OS X version. Part of that is probably because it was my first real OS X experience, outside of messing around in Apple stores. I was fortunate enough to receive a CD Mac mini in Christmas 2006 loaded with, you guessed it, 10.4 "Tiger". The first few weeks of diving straight in to OS X were a bit challenging and frustrating coming from knowing Windows like the back of my hand, but it didn't take too long before I pretty much fell head over heels in love with this new OS. It was intuitive, packed full of features I never even knew I needed (almost literally :p), and designed with not just unsurpassed functionality, but with style and looks to match. I don't believe Apple has ever come close to achieving the sort of sheer perfect balance and harmony that Tiger embodied in any of their OS releases, past or present.

(Though I must admit, runner up definitely goes to Snow Leopard, simply because of how rock-solid, reliable and speedy it is.)

thejadedmonkey
Jun 28, 2013, 08:15 AM
I voted for 10.4, but I really should have voted for 10.3 :p There's just something about it that I loved. Tiger and Leopard had the feature and refinement, but I feel like the farther refined OS X becomes, the less personality it has.

Look at it now, on 10.8, it's a bunch of smooth gradients :\

Pompiliu
Jun 28, 2013, 09:44 PM
Wow! Some people actually voted Lion.
WTF?:eek:

lobeyonekenobi
Jun 29, 2013, 01:08 AM
Wow! Some people actually voted Lion.
WTF?:eek:

The problem with Lion was it was transitional as it was the first to incorporate some iOS features, the worst thing about it was it stuffed up my 2010 MBP, it made it lag like hell when I first upgraded, I did consider downgrading back to 10.6 but I persevered and it did get better with 10.7.2 or 10.7.3.

It was okay on my 2010 iMac as it was faster and seemed to be able to handle it but ML was way better as it was more stable and I think now is better than 10.6 as it has some iOS features (I know some people hate this) and is very stable IMHO, now I can't wait for Mavericks.

arefbe
Jun 29, 2013, 07:33 AM
Mac OS 6.0.4 (yeah, I'm that old), then 8.1 then Snow Leopard.

macuser453787
Jun 29, 2013, 09:39 PM
So far, I'd have to say Leopard (meaning I've used most of them up to and including Snow Leopard, and not Lion or ML). I use Snow Leopard at work now, but haven't used it long enough to say I'd give it an edge over Leopard.

----------

Mac OS 6.0.4 (yeah, I'm that old), then 8.1 then Snow Leopard.

I heard that - anyone remember Font/DA Mover? :)

Kashchei
Jun 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
I heard that - anyone remember Font/DA Mover? :)

Another old-timer here--I remember the Font/DA mover very well! Those were heady days, when software and hardware innovations came fast and furious.

macuser453787
Jun 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
Another old-timer here--I remember the Font/DA mover very well! Those were heady days, when software and hardware innovations came fast and furious.

Nah, I'm not old, I just started young. :)

aPple nErd
Jul 5, 2013, 10:56 PM
I`m a Lion fan but I do miss the welcome video from SL :o

Same here.

blakek
Jul 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
Snow Leopard for me