Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hi guys,

First, I wish a Merry Christmas to all of you MacRumors members :)

I just bought this painting online. What do you think?

screenshot20111224at115.png

screenshot20111224at115.png

Last edited:

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I'm going to be very honest; I hate it.

Its busy but somehow manages to be boring at the same time; like the Michael Bay of prints, covered in clichéd "awesome" things, lowest common denominator sex appeal and all adding up to provide very little.

I'd rather have a simple print of something understated on my wall, to draw in the eye and break up a blank space, rather than a "hot" girl with some "cool" vegas imagery. A similar picture but far more abstracted might work too, but as its a photoshop collage I could see myself getting very bored of it very quickly, as there is no artistry to admire. Not to mention the message the art on your walls sends about you.

What I'd go for:
3b30d7c1-355c-4357-a3c7-488cd96d7c66.jpg

Something with a similar feel but a bit more artistry:
Abstract%20girl%20with%20gun.jpg

I fully understand that this is the opposite of what you asked for, but you asked what I thought of it, and I feel its only fair to give an honest opinion.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Actually this is my concern. I first loved it, and now the more I look at it the more perv I find it... :( Thoughts?

Personally I think it is awful. :eek:
I mean that truthfully and with no malice, just not my style.

OTOH it all depends on how old you are… and is this your first flat?
If you're say 12—20 something… fine.

28+… deeply suspect. ;)

But then again, who are we to tell you what you should enjoy on your walls and why should you need our justification?

Enjoy it. :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not my style, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The art on your walls does send a message to visitors - so you have to decide if that is what you want to communicate to visitors. On the other hand - if you like it, it's your home and the hell with what others think.

My father was an artist, so most of the art on my walls is is his stuff. Representational, semi-abstract, abstract - in watercolor, pencil, charcoal, and oils. My cleaning lady doesn't like a couple of pencil nudes (of my mother - my father couldn't afford models at that point) - but that's her problem! ;)

Keep it if you enjoy it, or remove it if you are concerned about the effect on others.

Either way - explore different styles of pictorial art, and enjoy...:D

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010

Its busy but somehow manages to be boring at the same time; like the Michael Bay of prints, covered in clichéd "awesome" things, lowest common denominator sex appeal and all adding up to provide very little.

I'd rather have a simple print of something understated on my wall, to draw in the eye and break up a blank space, rather than a "hot" girl with some "cool" vegas imagery. A similar picture but far more abstracted might work too, but as its a photoshop collage I could see myself getting very bored of it very quickly, as there is no artistry to admire. Not to mention the message the art on your walls sends about you.

I agree with this.

It's kind of silly, but if I walked into a grown man's house and saw this painting, i'd kind of question a few things about him.

I wouldn't automatically think you were a terrible person. Not at all. But i'd wonder just how mature you were, maybe..

It's one thing to have something like this as your wallpaper on your computer.. but another thing entirely to have it hanging on your wall in your house as art.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Wow, that was spot on.

OP, as long as you like it, it doesn't matter how much the rest of us hate it. :)

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Guys thank you very much for your constructive feedback. It just confirmed my feeling and you know what? I just cancelled my order... I am not even sure now if it's art :-D

I am now looking at something from Lichtenstein, or Bansky. And do you know this french artist ? It just rocks I would love to get an original... http://www.sandrinehayat.com/

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Guys thank you very much for your constructive feedback. It just confirmed my feeling and you know what? I just cancelled my order... I am not even sure now if it's art :-D

I am now looking at something from Lichtenstein, or Bansky. And do you know this french artist ? It just rocks I would love to get an original... http://www.sandrinehayat.com/

Fair enough; annoyingly I can't see the art on my iPad as its all flash based. A banksy or a lichtenstein would be very cool.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
when I see it, I think "you need a girlfriend."
And if you do have one, she may get upset.

On the other hand, what does the US, recycling, the guns, the propaganda signs have to do with one another?

those cards and the bar code are bad taste

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
you must be single. no woman would let you hang that in the apartment the two of you shared.

apartment looks nice, until one sets their eyes on picture. personally, i hate it. looks like crap, but to each his own. as long as you like it that is the only thing that matters.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
90% sure the lounge in the OP is rendered... otherwise the OP is one of the best architectural photographers in the world.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
something more my style. lets put a smile on that face

anything at all that would suggest ("why so serious?") would most definitely NOT be on my wall. serious overuse of a image that has been beaten to death. talk about beating a dead horse. every time i see that image i think to myself. dear god. there is that freaking picture again. it might have been awesome the first 400,000 times i saw it.

as for the original picture. it wouldnt be something id pick out. i have alot of black and whites on my wall. There is nothing i like about the picture. when i look at it i kinda laugh at it in a pathetic way. sorry :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.