Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbotha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I want to buy a new mac mini, In your experience where is the best place to buy from in terms of price and reliability?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You could save a few bucks on Amazon or Micro Center (EDIT: Not right now). Device reliability will be the same anywhere unless you mean something else by that....

B

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Price I got my mini at best buy for $59 off the msrp.

Reliability not sure how that plays into.

----------

You could save a few bucks on Amazon or Micro Center (EDIT: Not right now). Device reliability will be the same anywhere unless you mean something else by that....

B

MC might throw a generic wireless mouse into the purchase

Pyrhonen

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
A refurbished one from apple.com, that's what I did. :) I was going buy a brand new base model but then I saw a refurbished 4gb and better graphics card for +$100 more, -$100 less then buying a new one with the same specs. :D

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I bought mine at Best Buy because they were offering $35 off (and I put some of it on my Best Buy credit card and the rest on debit) although that was just because I was in desperate need of a new computer. I would recommend the refurbished section of the Apple Store online or at an actual Apple Store.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Macmall is also a very good choice. Usually a similar discount to Amazon, plus usually tax-free too. Free shipping, as well. They offer terrific bundles - half off already-discounted Applecare when bundled with purchase. Plus I noticed last week they're doing a free copy of Parallels 7.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Macmall is also a very good choice. Usually a similar discount to Amazon, plus usually tax-free too. Free shipping, as well. They offer terrific bundles - half off already-discounted Applecare when bundled with purchase. Plus I noticed last week they're doing a free copy of Parallels 7.

Macmall has always been great.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I like the refurbs from Apple, but they charge sales tax, while some online retailers don't, which can cancel out the savings. Macmall is good, and has the base model for about $30 less than Apple.

B&H Photo and Video in NYC is a good retailer, and has the base model for $568. They also have a deal right now where you can get a free copy of Parallels 7 and half price Applecare. Check out the deals here.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I like the refurbs from Apple, but they charge sales tax, while some online retailers don't, which can cancel out the savings.

Exactly. A new Mini from Amazon without sales tax, is often very close in price to a supposedly cheaper refurb in the Apple store.

And answering the original question, The Apple Store and Amazon are the two places I trust completely when buying new Apple equipment.

When buying refurbished Apple equipment, the only place I trust is The Apple Store.

But I have to say, $52.00 for a Mac Mini AppleCare protection plan is an incredible deal, so I would seriously consider going with B&H Photo. Truthfully, they are all pretty reliable, I just have my preference for Amazon because of their customer service and return policies.

Last edited:

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
Bought both my MBP and Mac mini from amazon, free shipping and no tax, both took no more then three days to ship.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Exactly. A new Mini from Amazon without sales tax, is often very close in price to a supposedly cheaper refurb in the Apple store.

And answering the original question, The Apple Store and Amazon are the two places I trust completely when buying new Apple equipment.

When buying refurbished Apple equipment, the only place I trust is The Apple Store.

But I have to say, $52.00 for a Mac Mini AppleCare protection plan is an incredible deal, so I would seriously consider going with B&H Photo. Truthfully, they are all pretty reliable, I just have my preference for Amazon because of their customer service and return policies.

I would only buy refurbs directly from Apple. I love Amazon as well, but their selection is kind of limited. That's one thing I like about MacMall and B&H over Amazon: they offer several different builds. While this isn't the case with the Mini, Macmall and B&H often offer closeout models at a discount price, such as with the recently upgraded MBPs. They both dropped the price on the older spec MBPs after the processor spec bump.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I just got a Mac mini (4 days ago) I ordered it from Portableone. It was cheaper then my educational discount. I ordered it on a Tuesday and it arrived on wednesday. Site says he is an Authorized Reseller. Box arrived in perfect condition.

I did order the Applecare through Apple though. Using the educational Discount it was only 99 dollars for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.