PDA

View Full Version : Power 5

deanbo
Jun 1, 2005, 03:18 AM
I just read an interesting article that uses fuse blowing techniques to make derivatives of the Power chip (i.e. PowerPC?).

So the G5 you have probably has an actual POWER chip in it, just with some of it's fuses blown.

(Shame you can't join the same circuits back together.)

vouder17
Jun 1, 2005, 05:30 AM
can we have link to article...

Catfish_Man
Jun 1, 2005, 05:31 AM
Hm... doubtful. The amount of black magic they'd have to do to get the G5's bus to be a crippled version of one of POWER4's is pretty impractical. Also, they're made on different manufacturing processes (POWER4+ is 130nm, 970fx is 90). Fun idea though :)

Platform
Jun 1, 2005, 06:30 AM
Hm... doubtful. The amount of black magic they'd have to do to get the G5's bus to be a crippled version of one of POWER4's is pretty impractical. Also, they're made on different manufacturing processes (POWER4+ is 130nm, 970fx is 90). Fun idea though :)

But he is talking about the Power 5 ;)

Catfish_Man
Jun 2, 2005, 06:32 AM
But he is taling about the Power 5 ;)

POWER5 uses a completely redesigned memory/IO system. Getting *that* to turn into the G5's bus when you blow some fuses goes from requiring engineering magic to needing divine intervention. Also, the POWER5 is made on the same manufacturing process as the POWER4+

Platform
Jun 2, 2005, 07:55 AM
POWER5 uses a completely redesigned memory/IO system. Getting *that* to turn into the G5's bus when you blow some fuses goes from requiring engineering magic to needing divine intervention. Also, the POWER5 is made on the same manufacturing process as the POWER4+

I know but the Power 4 and 5 are still not the same ;)