Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DillonB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hello everyone! Long time fan of the site, first time poster in the forums. I'm certain some knowledgeable people will be able to chime in and offer their advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I currently have a 27" iMac - 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1TB Internal HD, running Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.8. iMac10,1. Under AppleCare until February 4th, 2012. This puppy right here

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...uo-3.06-27-inch-aluminum-late-2009-specs.html

The computer is without a doubt the best Mac I've ever used, and the screen is fantastic - I do a lot of video editing work in 1080p and higher, and I love the real estate. However, recently I've found it would be more beneficial for me to have a MacBook Pro. The only aspect of the MacBook Pro vs. the iMac that may be totally unfortunate would be the screen real estate.

My question is - do you think I'd be able to trade/sell and buy a used 17" unibody MacBook Pro - definitely would prefer the higher resolution display. What do you think would be a good deal spec-wise on a MacBook Pro? I would definitely prefer to do a straight trade with someone in person, but selling online is also an option and I'd be willing to pony up $100-$200 extra if necessary.

I got offered to trade for 15" MacBook Pro - 2.53 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 TB RAM, 250 GB Internal HD, Snow Leopard. But I'm thinking I should at *least* get a 3.06 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro for my iMac, since the screen real estate is so high.

I'd eventually get an external display for the MacBook Pro so I could edit at home in higher resolution, but the trade-off in portability would be fantastic.

I also think the fact that it's under AppleCare warranty for over a full year counts for something too!

I'm in the Los Angeles/Ventura County area so finding someone to buy/trade shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks!!!

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unless you're going to get a quad core sandy bridge i7 MBP don't do it.

DillonB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the responses! I'll be sure not to settle for less than the i7 quad core.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
Yea I'd do quad core, and I'm sure you'll need to factor in the cost of buying a bigger monitor. If you don't get a quad core make sure you get some cash on top of it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.