PDA

View Full Version : newbie wants to use Automator to gather items

Brutalbrutus
Dec 24, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hello. I'm new to this but I'm a quick study and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to do the following:

1. Select a number of items sprinkled hither-and-yon on the Desktop (Snow Leopard).
2. Create a new folder on the Desktop with a title I give it.
3. Move (not copy) the selected items into the new folder.
4. Erase the now-duplicated items that are sprinkled hither-and-yon on the Desktop.

I'm having the most trouble with #4, above. To simply *move* items into a new folder, all I need to do, I think, is

1. Create a service.
2. Get selected items.
3. Make a new folder (the selected items are automatically passed into it).

But in this example, the old, scattered items are still lying all over my desktop, so I have to select them *again* and then move them to the Trash. I don't want to have to do this last step. I want Automator to do it.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Red Menace
Dec 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Instead of making copies and then trashing the original items, why not just move the items? This approach is a little bit convoluted due to the nature of Automator, but would go something like:

Service receives files or folders in Finder:
1) Set Value of Variable { Variable: Original Items }
2) New Folder (Ignore Input, Show action when workflow runs)
3) Set Value of Variable { Variable: New Folder }
4) Get Value of Variable { Variable: Original Items } (Ignore Input)
5) Move Finder Items { To: drag New Folder variable here }

The settings of the New Folder action above will show the action so that you can choose the name/location when the workflow runs, but if desired you can set it not to show and just enter a fixed name/location.