Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeekium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Hello everyone, i'm new to the boards and am planning on selling my ibook 1.07GHz, 256 RAM, 30gbHD for $700 or $800. Is this a good deal? Lower? Higher? And with this money i will be buying a desktop computer. I have $168 lose money right now. I could easily get my eMac with my educational discount for $800. But the iMac G5 cought my eye. It looks better than the eMac and is faster. I really like how it has 2.0GHz, 160gbHD, and of course the G5. But the eMac has 160gbHD as well/ My main question is should i spend few extra hundred on the iMac? Is the G5 really that good. i am not the kind of person that uses a Mac for e-mail and internet. I use many big apps like photoshop.I definantly want the superdrive. I make movies with iMovie as well. I really want do get the most out of my new Mac...so which is best for me?

Thanks Everyone!

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
I already have the iMac G5 and I´m looking for a second computer. My opinion is that the eMac is better for Photoshop since it has a CRT, so I will be doing all my Photoshopping on the eMac if I get one. I haven´t heard any one complaining about the eMac being to slooooow.

You will have several trade offs:

1. Asthetics
2. Space
3. Price
4. Speed
5. Monitor

Zeekium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2005
So are you saying that you are buying a new Mac because you dont like your iMac G5. And how does a CRT help with photoshop?

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Zeekium said:
So are you saying that you are buying a new Mac because you dont like your iMac G5. And how does a CRT help with photoshop?
No, I live with my wife and we need 2 computers. ;)

CRTs have more accurate colors IMHO and what you see on the screen is what you get in the printer. That is an experience of other forum member and my experience with other CRTs.

However, the iMac will probably do the job. A Powermac with a pro 22" CRT would give you the best quality and it´s just a question how much money you want to spend.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Go iMac.....better for the future and now....unless the budget is tight ;)

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Zeekium said:
I don't know any Mac fan who could dislike the iMac G5. It's amazing. :cool:

I have a Rev. B iMac G5 (specs in my sig) and I LOVE it. If you can afford it, go for an iMac. I had a 1GHz eMac with more RAM than you're looking at getting, and my iMac blows it away in all categories. It's quicker (more responsive), faster (rendering, performing CPU intensive tasks, etc.), has better specs in all categories, and is MUCH more eye pleasing--it's *beautiful*. :cool: Not only that, but you'll feel different about owning an iMac vs. an eMac. An eMac will make you feel "satisfied" about owning it, but an iMac will make you feel proud and impressed.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
SteveC said:
I don't know any Mac fan who could dislike the iMac G5. It's amazing. :cool:
I think it is ugly and I don't like to have fan noise right in front of my face. And, I am a Mac fan... :cool:

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
mad jew said:
So you hate being close to mirrors too?

Sorry, bad joke. :eek:
No, it doesn't bother me because I am a very silent Mac fan! :D

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I i have a 1.33 Ghz powerbook and a 1.8GHz iMac (20").

The iMac is waaay faster . (period)

G4 is yesterdays technology, if you buy a new machine, buy new technology..

( I think we all remember G3@450mhz vs G4@350mhz .. in os9 the g3 was the winner.. but today i would take the g4 any day!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.