Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McSh5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
OK so I've got a MBP running Leopard. I wanted to upgrade to Lion but was unable to upgrade to Snow Leopard first as I didn't have it. Plus, it seemed convoluted to do that.

So...I created a new partition and installed Lion on it. I can easily go back and forth between booting into one and another. Now I need to move my files, photos, and music from Leopard to Lion. I don't necessarily need to do a full migration. I'm using iPhoto and iTunes.

I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is...can i Time Machine in Leopard and then restore it in Lion? Then delete the old partition? Or is there another way? iTunes and iPhoto seem kinda messed up so if there is a way to bring my photos and music over raw into those to make a new database, that might be nice.

Thanks!

McSh5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Any help would be appreciated. I have backed up with Time Machine and would try recovering in Lion but I don't have enough HD space on the MBP to have all my files on both the Leopard install and the Lion install....

McSh5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
After going back and forth and trying to play the tile game with the limited space on the HD, I ended up just nuking the entire HD, reinstalling Lion again as a single partition and trusted that Data Migration would work. It did, at least for all the important stuff I cared about. Thanks for all the help. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.