Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Alright so tonight I decided to purchase a new hard drive to replace my aging Maxtor 5400rpm unit that originally shipped with the computer. Not only is it slow, it's extremely loud. I ended up buying a Western Digital unit off New Egg for only $20. At the moment I'm cloning my installation of Mac OS X Tiger to my back up hard drive in anticipation for the new drive coming in. In the meantime I have a few questions:

Where can I pick up a set of Torx screwdrivers? According to the internet I need a Torx T10 and T15 to get into the case.

Secondly, can i go to somewhere like Best Buy and pick up some thermal paste? I'm assuming any computer type shop would carry it, but I want to make sure I have everything here before I get into this project.

It looks like it could be difficult, but the guides can lead me in the right direction and soon enough the computer should at least have a hard drive that is quieter than the one installed now. I'd hope the performance boost from getting another RAM module installed (for 1GB total) and going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm would make this computer a little more usable.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that before. I have the iMac running off the backup hard drive right now and it's so much quicker, so I'm glad I went ahead and ordered the new hard drive. I was pretty sure that was my problem... I'm glad I confirmed it. :)

KScotty

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Wanted to check in and see how the change out went? Everything work successfully? What exact type of hard drive did you purchase?

Alright so tonight I decided to purchase a new hard drive to replace my aging Maxtor 5400rpm unit that originally shipped with the computer. Not only is it slow, it's extremely loud. I ended up buying a Western Digital unit off New Egg for only $20. At the moment I'm cloning my installation of Mac OS X Tiger to my back up hard drive in anticipation for the new drive coming in. In the meantime I have a few questions:

Where can I pick up a set of Torx screwdrivers? According to the internet I need a Torx T10 and T15 to get into the case.

Secondly, can i go to somewhere like Best Buy and pick up some thermal paste? I'm assuming any computer type shop would carry it, but I want to make sure I have everything here before I get into this project.

It looks like it could be difficult, but the guides can lead me in the right direction and soon enough the computer should at least have a hard drive that is quieter than the one installed now. I'd hope the performance boost from getting another RAM module installed (for 1GB total) and going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm would make this computer a little more usable.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
The change out was successful, but a little difficult. I bought a Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm HD from NewEgg for $20. The hardest part of the whole thing was actually getting the base back on the computer... it look me 30 minutes to get it right. Once I did that the computer started back up with my external hard drive running the OS and I copied everything back to the new drive. Computer worked flawlessly. Ended up selling it for some extra $$$, but it ran wonderfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.