Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sagger Pance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
I'm about to purchase a Dual G5 Powermac and 20" monitor. I'll have just about enough money to get it. But it'll be a close call.
I know Apple will ship for free and I'll get applecare on the monitor for buying it with the Mac. But there'll be sales tax in excess of 8% charged. And I'll be paying the absolute full retail price...

Got any suggestions?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Amazon has great prices and is tax free in most states. Amazon has rebates and free shipping on Powermacs too.

Amazon is going to give you the best price and you know you can trust them.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
With all due respect, do you like anything in the list below?

* Public schools, including state universities
* Well-maintained roads
* Law enforcement

If so, you shouldn't be trying to duck your state's taxes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd say MacConnection or Amazon. CDW and MacZone have been good for me in the past too, but lately MacC and Am have seemed to offer the best deals.

I also sometimes shop CompUSA (locally or online), Outpost.com and SmallDog.

MacMall burned me badly years ago and I haven't forgotten :) But I'd try them again now I think--and they own one of the other stores now, MacC or MacZone maybe.

For RAM and peripherals I like OWC: eshop.macsales.com .

Sagger Pance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
JeffTL said:

* Well-maintained roads
* Law enforcement

Thanks for the ethics lesson, dude. FYI online/mailorder sales tax is based on and paid to the state where the business resides, as opposed to the consumer. So, I'm trying to avoid paying high sales taxes to a state I don't live or vote in.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
JeffTL said:

* Well-maintained roads
* Law enforcement

:rolleyes:

Fight he Man. :cool:

Think Different.

It's not illegal so ha.

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
JeffTL said:

* Well-maintained roads
* Law enforcement

LOL. For the amount of **** I get from some teachers and law enforcement, I try and get out of any and all taxes whenever possible. When some of these idiots stop being *******s to me, I'll live up to my civic duty...

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
!

JeffTL said:

* Well-maintained roads
* Law enforcement

Oh shut up! LOL!

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sagger Pance said:
FYI online/mailorder sales tax is based on and paid to the state where the business resides, as opposed to the consumer. So, I'm trying to avoid paying high sales taxes to a state I don't live or vote in.

Uh, no.

If you live in a state where the mail order company has a physical presence, you pay the sales tax that is applicable in your state.

I live in Illinois. If I order from Apple, based in California, I do not pay California taxes, I pay Illinois taxes.

No, it's not illegal, and no, it's not immoral. Tax codes and collection just haven't caught up - yet.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
JeffTL said:

* Well-maintained roads
* Law enforcement

Public schools have failed our children and graduate illiterate 18 year olds.

Roads in this state suck and sales tax isn't going to help them. 99% of our road funding comes from the federal government.

Law enforcement is a joke. There are so many police officers around here with nothing better to do than pull me over for going one mile over the limit, harass young people, etc. They don't spend any time doing anything useful like trying to stop violence. When my car got broken into , they didn't do **** but send me a form letter a week later saying the investigation was closed.

Sales tax isn't going to help any of these things. Firing the entire government and then rehiring honest, non-corrupt people. My government doesn't deserve one extra cent.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Fair Warning... In California, at least, you're supposed to report internet and mail-order purchases on your taxes. I saw the mention of it when I did my taxes last year. No, I didn't put anything in the box. However, there has been some talk of states working with major online retailers (Amazon would be the first stop) to make sure the taxes are paid.

Oh, those Democrats...

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
anubis said:
Public schools have failed our children and graduate illiterate 18 year olds.

Roads in this state suck and sales tax isn't going to help them. 99% of our road funding comes from the federal government.

Law enforcement is a joke. There are so many police officers around here with nothing better to do than pull me over for going one mile over the limit, harass young people, etc. They don't spend any time doing anything useful like trying to stop violence. When my car got broken into , they didn't do **** but send me a form letter a week later saying the investigation was closed.

Sales tax isn't going to help any of these things. Firing the entire government and then rehiring honest, non-corrupt people. My government doesn't deserve one extra cent.

A' f*@#ing men brother. You said it.

My car got broken into and the damned police actually made me wait 3 hrs by the car only to call me back on my cell and tell me they are too busy to come by and take the report. Oh but you bet your ass I saw them pulling people over for speeding on the way home. Half my paycheck goes to taxes. Then I pay sales tax when I buy, then they get me for taxes on my house. You wonder why you make $90 grand a year and at the end of the year you are broke. Lets not forget toll booths that bleed us as well. Yeah, I'm keeping every damn cent I can.

Keep your schools, I can teach my own kids..
Keep your police, I have a gun and can shoot well..
Roads, keep em, I got a 4x4..

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I've been using MacConnection for something like 20 years now, and they've never screwed me -- good people. They are always my first choice. MacWarehouse and MacZone are ok, I've ordered a few things from Amazon. No problems there either, as well as ZipZoomFly, NewEgg, and OtherWorld Computing. Bottom line is stick with one of the larger, established places (pick one out-of-state to save the sales tax) and you'll probably be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.