Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
I am lately quite pissed.
I have Bias' Deck v. 3.5, Mac OS X compatible, D2VOX a USB audio device from I-O Data, Mac OS X 10.2.1, and guess what?

NOISE, CRACKLE, POP, CRACK after 30 seconds of recording.

What I say to this? CoreAudio? Ultra-low latency? Future of audio?

IT CAN'T EVEN GET A CLEAR SOUND INTO THE SYSTEM! OS9 may not have had all the multi-tasking, memory protection, or eye-candy, but it WORKED!

And CoreAudio not like it doesn't work at all. It just SOMETIMES works, and sometimes doesn't.

SORRY to bitch about that, but it really is disturbing. I love OS X, and I use it for everything, except for serious audio work. I'm finding myself booting up into OS 9, using ProTools FREE just to get a clean signal into the system.

Now, maybe it's my audio device from I-O data that doesn't support the latest version of Jaguar. Maybe it's the IO data people that don'T know what they are doing. But I don'T think so, looking at the amount of complaints about Jaguar's audio system on Apple's discussion page.

Basically, if the situation does not improve, I either have to buy another audio device, maybe FireWire, since apple DEVELOPED the technology, and maybe it is more compatible or somethin. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some terminal command that can help me get a better audio signal? Are there USB or FireWire audio devices that DON'T have this noise?

I'd really like to know. I don't mind spending another 100 or 200 dollars if I can upgrade my audio system, as well as get a decent signal into my computer!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry if this sounds like aimless whining, but it is REALLY upsetting after awhile. You know the screen looks nice, everything seems to be working and then CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE!!!!!

help... please...

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
sorry for double post

Just forgot to put my machine

PowerBook G4 667MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB HD, pre-DVI model, COmbo

I have two partitions, one for OS 9 and audio work, and the other for OS X and other files

Everything working perfectly except for crackle pop crackle coreaudio. (done a clean install of jaguar, fast as hell)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
join the club. i have had similar experience with Logic Audio, Reason, Ableton Live, and a number of plugins. lots of others are having the same issue. i've also heard that Core and USB causes probs on Rev B PowerBooks. I had a 550 and had the problem. here are some links you may find useful:

http://www.osxaudio.com
http://www.ableton.com
http://harmony-central.com

they each have discussion forums where you'll find folks with similar issues. my temporary fix: OS 9 and ASIO drivers. damn shame though.

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
yup

OS 9 seems to be the only way to go for now... It seems like I'm moving backwards in time as I bootup with the "Happymac" and launch the most un-aqua-like ProTools interface..

I'll just wait for
CoreAudio Update
or something like that..

OS 9 still has the upper hand for audio work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.