Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
what do you guys/gals think about the rumored iBook Mini?

what stats do you think it will have?

Appearance?

-Peter

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
i was reading a forum in here about wwdc and someone quitly mentioned

"ibook mini on wwdc, thats all i can say"

it was sort of like that....cool thought or someone leakin info in the forum? i dont know...

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Pistol Pete said:

it was sort of like that....cool thought or someone leakin info in the forum? i dont know...

probably just a random guess

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
personally i'm keeping my fingers crossed for an iPod Shuffle mini. I won't be satisfied with an mp3 player until it becomes invisible when i plug it into the USB port. Think one chicklet instead of a whole pack of gum.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
it just seemed real the way it was worded.....and yes it is realistic unlike the PB G5.....

Just picture the iBook Mini.....Beautiful~!!!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Pistol Pete said:
it just seemed real the way it was worded.....and yes it is realistic unlike the PB G5.....

Just picture the iBook Mini.....Beautiful~!!!

I think the PB G5 is more realistic than an iBook mini...how would they possibly shrink that any more, and why? It would basically be a PDA and, given that, is more likely to be marketed as an iPod maxi rather than an iBook mini, since the whole world* loves iPods.

Anyway, I guess since you're a newbie [EDIT: were a newbie until 2 posts ago], you haven't witnessed the countless number of baseless predictions that have been made time after time in exactly the same way that the one you have seen was.

*except Bill Gates

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
ok sorry your right....

you have to realize i am going crazy over all these wwdc rumors!!!

you think im bad now jeez i was so bad on january! i start to believe everything!!!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Pistol Pete said:
ok sorry your right....

you have to realize i am going crazy over all these wwdc rumors!!!

you think im bad now jeez i was so bad on january! i start to believe everything!!!

haha yeah, it's always tempting to get sucked in...the best thing to do is not come here at all for a couple weeks before a big event, that way you'll be surprised at the cool stuff they do announce rather than disappointed that they didn't release the stuff people were making up.

Mozza

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2005
I think they meant, iBook (and) (mac) Mini as they both have a pretty decent chance of getting an upgrade.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Strangely, even though I already have an iBook, I would like to see an iBook mini/shuffle/(insert phrase here that communicates a small form factor). I know a lot of people don't like subnotebooks because of all the things that are left out, or made as external add-ons, but I personally wouldn't mind. Less weight for me to carry around when I don't need a DVD burner. Hopefully an iBook mini would be cheaper too.

Then again, having that in a Powerbook shell would be awesome too.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
i wish i could store all my mac related thoughts away in the corner of my mind somewhere but....its not worth it!!!

i may know what to expect but i never know the design or specs.

and you have got to love how laggy the apple site gets after each event!!!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
G5Zealot said:
Is not the iBook already mini at 12"? :rolleyes:

of course not. a subnotebook sized mini (10" widescreen) would still be useable out and about. when you come home you plug it into your monitor (and have BT k/B and mouse) and your set. it ahs to be said though to appeal to the ibook market (students etc) this thing will have to be low cost like the mac mini.

to me this is the only way apple can go if they have stalled on the processor front....go smaller.

so make the 12" PB go 13.3" WS and an ibook mini go 10" WS and there you have some differention between the models.

of course, this is just idle speculation based on my own prefs. i'd be very surprised if this ever happens :)

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Naw he's right, somebody did post about Powerbook minis and iBook minis a couple months back. They linked to an article with mock-up pictures, showing the two computers about the size of a Gameboy Advance.

It was a hoax, however.

andy.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
You could also take out the drive and trim it down a little to get it under three pounds. The iBook is light, but it's still a pain to carry long distances. I often walk 45 minutes to my university and 45 minutes back, and saving two pounds over that distance would be great.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to use a screen smaller than 12". Not with my eyes. I also wouldn't want to use a keyboard much smaller than the current one.

A powerBook ultralight seems a better approach than an iBook mini. Just take the 12" powerbook and make a version without the media drive that's thinner and lighter.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
iBook tablet maybe ;)

if it would be cheap I would get one to controll my camera with for capture, just fast enough to run the software & small hd to store the pictures and then move them to my G5 to edit ;)

dreaming.... lol

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
mad jew said:
Hmm... No screen and it just runs random processes...

Yeah, I can see a market for that. :D

Hahaha, yeah for sure!

Of course it could be seen as a threat to the Dep of Homeland Security

Pistol Pete said:
and you have got to love how laggy the apple site gets after each event!!!

Well actually I hate it, but it's funny that the Mac community collectively as a whole brings Apple's website to it's knees after every single keynote.

procrastinet

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2005
NYC
Pistol Pete said:

Pete - I think you're thinking of Swissboy, who posted "iBook mini is all I can leak... but this IS the One More Thing" (paraphrasing). That got me interested too, but it turns out "Swissboy" has only posted once before, with a bogus "I'm a security guard and I've seen the new iMac G5" story just before the actual release last year. He claimed it was just like the iMac G4 but with a colored case. Whoops.

Here's his "iBook mini" post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1489477#post1489477

So while a 10" widescreen colored anodized aluminum (my pet daydream, to match the iPod mini) subnote would be adorable and gadgetlicious, this particular lead seems bogus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.