Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronin Talken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
My wife and I got an Apple TV for Christmas, but we don't actually own a TV. We just stream netflix to our computer and use a dual monitor.

I'm reading about how to set up, but it appears that other versions of the Apple TV are owned by the people whose responses I'm reading. My Apple TV only has an optical Audio output.

I want to set up the video on my monitor, for which I believe I just need an HDMI to DVI converter.

For the audio, though, I'm a little confused. I have a really old stereo system hooked up to my record player which uses RCA input. Do I just need an optical audio to RCA converter? I'm just afraid that there will be some problem using a digital input with this system, as I'm not sure the difference. Any advice?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Either take back the ATV as it will not work with your current setup, or check out the post-Christmas sales as some retailers are slashing HDTV prices. You can probably get one with HDMI input and optical-IN for around $200...maybe even less depending on what size you want. Prices are dropping like a rock due to a glut of HDTVs.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
^^if the tv already has hdmi, it will likely have built in speakers, too, and not need to use the separate optical audio output.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
WARNING: the linked product will not work, you need something like it but the linked product only does L/R. You need one that decodes 5.1 to L/R, otherwise you will have no audio. Unfortunately they are pricier.

Yes, this product will work. The AppleTV can be set to output stereo only so there is no need to get a converter that handles 5.1 dolby digital. There are many reviews on the Monoprice website mentioning specifically that this device works with the ATV2.

There was a comment that it can be out of sync with the video sent out via HDMI, and that might be a concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.